FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Jayjg's not from New York -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jayjg's not from New York, I'm afraid you'll simply have to accept it.
WordBomb

Ãœber Member

Group: Regulars

Folks, I'm thisclose to publishing the first set of findings relating to the examination of the SlimVirgin's oversighted edits, and premit me to say: it's so much more Sweet than I had imagined.

Oh man.

But between now and then (then meaning tomorrow, I believe) let me throw y'all this bone.

As I've said for some time now, regardless of the conventional wisdom that has held that he's a New Yorker, Jayjg is from Thornhill, Ontario. And if you don't believe me, you can take his word for it (and do yourself a favor...look at the five diffs that follow this one...you will be laughing by the end).

And if you still don't believe me, you can take his word for it again.

IP address 69.196.8.106 is currently unassigned, but, again as you'll recall I've documented previously, up until a year ago, IPs from the 69.196.x.x range mapped to the northern sectors of Toronto.

You know, a month ago, this would have felt very significant. But compared to what I'm going to show you guys about SlimVirgin tomorrow, it seems sort of silly.

Stay tuned.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
gomi

Group: Members

QUOTE(WordBomb @ Mon 20th August 2007, 10:32pm) *

... compared to what I'm going to show you guys about SlimVirgin tomorrow, it seems sort of silly.

I will consume an anchovy and wait with baited breath.

+Quote Post
jdrand

And Ye Shall Know Us by the Trail of Cheez-Whiz

Group: You Don't Want to Know

He probably is from an open proxy and covers his footsteps carefully. See the IP WHOIS for 69.196.8.106, here. Location=Unknown. But the Ontario thing is pretty damning evidence that Jayjg is a liar.
+Quote Post
WordBomb

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(jdrand @ Tue 21st August 2007, 2:05am) *

He probably is from an open proxy and covers his footsteps carefully. See the IP WHOIS for 69.196.8.106, here. Location=Unknown. But the Ontario thing is pretty damning evidence that Jayjg is a liar.
As I mentioned, all Rogers IPs from the 69.196.x.x range are currently unassigned. That's why you get the "unknown." Last year, when I first started keeping track, they were assigned to the Thornhill, ON area.

If you simply must know, today Jayjg's IP is 99.246.30.17, and yes, it maps to Thornhill, ON.
+Quote Post
blissyu2

the wookie

Group: On Vacation
Member No.: 5

QUOTE(WordBomb @ Tue 21st August 2007, 4:57pm) *

QUOTE(jdrand @ Tue 21st August 2007, 2:05am) *

As I mentioned, all Rogers IPs from the 69.196.x.x range are currently unassigned. That's why you get the "unknown." Last year, when I first started keeping track, they were assigned to the Thornhill, ON area.

If you simply must know, today Jayjg's IP is 99.246.30.17, and yes, it maps to Thornhill, ON.

What makes you think that's Jayjg's IP?
+Quote Post
WordBomb

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(blissyu2 @ Tue 21st August 2007, 3:56am) *

Sorry, Blissyu2, "sources and methods" need to remain confidential for now. Maybe I should turn it around and ask whether you've known me to be wrong about this sort of thing yet (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/wink.gif) .

+Quote Post
SenseMaker

Group: Contributors

The answer to the proof that Jayjg is not editing from NYC and has never edited Wikipedia from NYC will be some dissembling claim that Jayjg never actually said he was "currently living in NYC", just that he said that he was "from NYC." Maybe he was born in NYC or spent a few years there once and then decided he could get away with this claim?

Think about this: If this is how Jayjg deals with simple straight forward facts such as where he lives, I can only imagine how he "contributes" to Wikipedia.
+Quote Post
Jonny Cache

τα δε μοι παθήματα μαθήματα γέγονε

Jayjg's not from Earth, I'm afraid you'll simply have to accept it.

Consider it accepted.

Jonny (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/cool.gif)
+Quote Post
tarantino

the Dude abides

QUOTE(WordBomb @ Tue 21st August 2007, 8:10am) *

QUOTE(blissyu2 @ Tue 21st August 2007, 3:56am) *

Sorry, Blissyu2, "sources and methods" need to remain confidential for now. Maybe I should turn it around and ask whether you've known me to be wrong about this sort of thing yet (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/wink.gif) .

It wouldn't have anything to do with planting Activemeter URLs on WP userpages would it? You wanted to find out who Samiharris was, but you were fortunate to have Jayjg, you think, follow your link.

18:20, 24 July 2007 SlimVirgin (Talk | contribs) blocked "Zeno was the Frog (contribs)" (account creation blocked, e-mail blocked) with an expiry time of indefinite (WordBomb; posted an IP-tracking link on his user page)

18:30, 24 July 2007 Jayjg (Talk | contribs) restored "User talk:Samiharris" (43 revision(s) restored: WordBomb up to his IP catching tricks again)
18:29, 24 July 2007 Jayjg (Talk | contribs) deleted "User talk:Samiharris" (content was: '==John F. Sandner==I seem to have been mistaken about his notability. However, that article is linkless and un-wikified, so I shall leave those ...')
+Quote Post
BobbyBombastic

gabba gabba hey

Member No.: 1,223

I demand this shocking information be released!
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

From: My name it means nothing. My age it means less. The country I come from is called the Mid-West.
Member No.: 981

QUOTE(BobbyBombastic @ Tue 21st August 2007, 6:39pm) *

I demand this shocking information be released!

Here is an article that says how he did it. Notice I said "says" not "explained." Wouldn't Overstock's server logs already show the ip address and a referrer? Not sure what is added, other than possible ease of putting the information together.
+Quote Post
BobbyBombastic

gabba gabba hey

Member No.: 1,223

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Tue 21st August 2007, 8:56pm) *

Here is an article that says how he did it. Notice I said "says" not "explained." Wouldn't Overstock's server logs already show the ip address and a referrer? Not sure what is added, other than possible ease of putting the information together.

Actually I was referring to the SV info WordBomb talks about here:

QUOTE(WordBomb @ Tue 21st August 2007, 1:32am) *

Folks, I'm thisclose to publishing the first set of findings relating to the examination of the SlimVirgin's oversighted edits, and premit me to say: it's so much more Sweet than I had imagined.

but thanks for that!
+Quote Post
SenseMaker

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Wed 22nd August 2007, 12:56am) *

The link GlassBeadGame just posted, o-smear.blogspot.com, itself appears to be a bugged site. Go there at your own risk.

This post has been edited by SenseMaker:
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

From: My name it means nothing. My age it means less. The country I come from is called the Mid-West.

QUOTE(SenseMaker @ Tue 21st August 2007, 7:38pm) *

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Wed 22nd August 2007, 12:56am) *

The link GlassBeadGame just posted, o-smear.blogspot.com, itself appears to be a bugged site. Go there at your own risk.

Do they work for WP?

Well I guess I'm a gonner. Too late for me so I went back and got the source down to the stuff for the blog. Anything bad here? I can't always tell. We probably need to to take this down shortly for copyright reasons I suppose:
CODE

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<html xmlns='http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml' xmlns:b='http://www.google.com/2005/gml/b' xmlns:data='http://www.google.com/2005/gml/data' xmlns:expr='http://www.google.com/2005/gml/expr'>
  <head>
<meta content='SlimVirgin, Wikipedia, Overstock, Overstock.com, Judd Bagley, Delusional, Patrick Byrne, Illegal, Spyware, Darkside, BusinessJive, Naked Short Selling, Bloomberg, Phantom Shares, Gary Weiss, Sam Antar, Sam E. Antar, Linda Mack, Mantanmoreland, Jimbo Wales, Overstock.com, Linda Mack, WikiMedia, WordBomb, SEC, Investigation, SlimV, Sarah McEwan, Investing, Market Manipulation, Spies, Spying, Hannibal, Patrick M. Byrne, Bob OBrien, writerjudd, Wikipedia Review, InvestorVillage, Stocks, Smears, Smear Campaign, Anti Semitism, Yolanda Holtzee, Darl Dumont, James Cummins, Mediacrity, Amazon Book Reviews, sockpuppets, SanityCheck, TheSanityCheck, Roddy Boyd, Susan Antilla, Samiharris, Crum375, MI5, Ed Manfredonia, scandal, deception, lies, pretexting, tracking images, web bugs, ActiveMeter, statcounter, Provo Labs, conspiracy, conspiracy theory, Gradient Analytics, Camelback Research, Demetrios Anifantis, Joe Nocera, Herb Greenberg, David Rocker, Rocker Partners, Marc Cohodes, prime broker, lawsuit, litigation, dirtydeeds, dirtydirtydeeds, Mary Helburn, Motley Fool, SiliconInvestor, RegFD, RegSHO, FTD, Evren Karpak, QuiTacetConsentiret, David Bois, AntiSocialMedia, Anti-Social Media, PR, TeachMeSomething, heartofthematter, ladysnowblood, De Daumier-Smith, HeadlessInvestor, Headless Investor, biocurious, Hannibal100, Patriot Act, Pen Register Statute, Illegal Computer Access, traffic information collection, IP Address, IP Harvesting, misrepresentation, Trap and Trace, Section 216, Computer Crime, Invasion Of Privacy, cyberstalking, Electronic Communications Privacy Act, ECPA' name='keywords'/>

<meta content='text/html; charset=UTF-8' http-equiv='Content-Type'/>
  <meta content='true' name='MSSmartTagsPreventParsing'/>
  <meta content='blogger' name='generator'/>
  <link rel="alternate" type="application/atom+xml" title="O-Smear - Atom" href="http://o-smear.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default" />
<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="O-Smear - RSS" href="http://o-smear.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default?alt=rss" />
<link rel="service.post" type="application/atom+xml" title="O-Smear - Atom" href="http://www.blogger.com/feeds/2781094915868263048/posts/default" />
<link rel="EditURI" type="application/rsd+xml" title="RSD" href="http://www.blogger.com/rsd.g?blogID=2781094915868263048" />
<link rel="alternate" type="application/atom+xml" title="O-Smear - Atom" href="http://o-smear.blogspot.com/feeds/688849357499865931/comments/default" />

<title>O-Smear: Wiki URL should Overstock use?</title>
    <style id='page-skin-1' type='text/css'>
/*
-----------------------------------------------
Blogger Template Style
Name:     Stretch Denim
Designer: Darren Delaye
URL:      www.DarrenDelaye.com
Date:     11 Jul 2006
-----------------------------------------------
*/

/* Variable definitions
   ====================
<
+Quote Post
Nathan

Retired

Group: Inactive
Member No.: 17

EDIT: Isn't that against Blogger's AUP?

GBG: That's the usual Blogger stylesheet. Nothing amiss there. I searched the source for instances of "gif" and nothing came up (though that's not a thorough enough search).
+Quote Post
SenseMaker

[quote name='GlassBeadGame' date='Wed 22nd August 2007, 1:40am' post='44554']The link GlassBeadGame just posted, o-smear.blogspot.com, itself appears to be a bugged site. Go there at your own risk.[/quote]
Do they work for WP?
[/quote]

I understand that o-smear.blogspot.com is run by Gary Weiss, the arch-enemy of WordBomb.

Most websites can be bugged transparently by their owners. Only non-private websites that do not allow the posting of externally hosted content are guarenteed to be bug free. Thus be very careful if you think your IP can reveal who you are (and since Jayjg has ChechUser priviledges, an IP address could reveal your Wikipedia accounts.)

This post has been edited by SenseMaker:
+Quote Post
Nathan

Retired

Group: Inactive
Member No.: 17

SenseMaker: Yes, I goofed, thanks for correcting me.

But anyway the rest of my comment is true:

WordBomb did try that exact trick here on Wikipedia Review at one point using a transparent GIF (if I recall correctly), which is why we no longer allow externally referenced GIFs (except from moderators and staff, I think).

Anyone with a lack of scruples, an externally referenced image and control of the server logs can bug/snoop for IPs.

This is an externally referenced GIF:
(IMG:http://nathanr.ca/wp-content/uploads/smileyfactory.gif) (apparently, that's a smiley factory...isn't that cruel?)

I happen to possess all of my scruples so we will forgo the rest.
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

Well I would say based on that extensive list of meta tag words that the site owner certainly wants to make a nice well paved road for visitors from WR. Probably Overstock types too. I do strenuously object to his imagining people at WR would sit around Googling "Anti Semitism."

Can you imagine the lawsuit if an outside site harvests IP addresses and turns them over to a WP Checkuser, who then in turn uses them? Sweet.
+Quote Post
WordBomb

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(tarantino @ Tue 21st August 2007, 8:39pm) *
It wouldn't have anything to do with planting Activemeter URLs on WP userpages would it? You wanted to find out who Samiharris was, but you were fortunate to have Jayjg, you think, follow your link.
Wrong. But on that topic, if Jayjg can discriminantly view my IP data, why can't I have access to his? Ironic that the person with greatest access to user's identifying information is the most jealous about safeguarding his own privacy, isn't it?
+Quote Post
LamontStormstar

Postmaster

Hmm Jayjg's IP was at one time: 69.196.8.106

Last edit is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Art.../Jew_York_Times

Funny.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)