FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Giano calls out FT2 for harassment -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Help

This forum is for discussing specific Wikipedia editors, editing patterns, and general efforts by those editors to influence or direct content in ways that might not be in keeping with Wikipedia policy. Please source your claims and provide links where appropriate. For a glossary of terms frequently used when discussing Wikipedia and related projects, please refer to Wikipedia:Glossary.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Giano calls out FT2 for harassment, Uh oh
Rootology

Fat Cat

Group: Regulars

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Adm...2.27s_behaviour

Yow. I just read some of the psychopop stuff FT2 has posted about Giano. Giano's right, that stuff is just totally inappropriate.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
KamrynMatika

Ãœber Member

Could Giano be any more of a drama queen? I can't stand the guy. I hope he gets banned soon.

If it's only for the featured articles that we're keeping him around, I'll happily go and write some on architecture or whatever - if it means we get some peace and quiet from the endless histrionics that come from the Giano/Bishonen camp, it's definitely worth it.

Does anyone remember what Giano got blocked for in the first place? Incivility I know, but what specifically was he bugging FT2 about before he called Until a stalker?

Edit: I love this guy (an obvious sockpuppet):

Look this is a voluntary project. We're all here to build an encyclopedia. As far as I can see you're just pissed off at the arb ruling. I know nothing about you're history, but shit like this shouldn't be posted. This page shouldn't even exist for fucks sake...nor should arbcom...it's just people who want to make bad shit happen to people who have done stuff to them out of spite, that's why this page is here, to report crap like that, not to start it. Forget about it, you're just stirring up drama, go edit the mainspace.--Jaeger123 19:14, 19 April 2008 (UTC)

Finally.

This post has been edited by KamrynMatika:
+Quote Post
KStreetSlave

Giano's being that kid that keeps poking people and then crying when they hit him back. It's irritating, childish, and incredibly transparent.
+Quote Post
jorge

Postmaster

Group: On Vacation

QUOTE(KStreetSlave @ Sat 19th April 2008, 8:39pm) *

Giano's being that kid that keeps poking people and then crying when they hit him back. It's irritating, childish, and incredibly transparent.

Actually he's more like the "responsible adult" trying to get a gang of adolescents to grow up.
+Quote Post
Pumpkin Muffins

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(KStreetSlave @ Sat 19th April 2008, 12:39pm) *

You got it exactly backwards.
+Quote Post
the fieryangel

the Internet Review Corporation is watching you...

Member No.: 577

QUOTE(Pumpkin Muffins @ Sat 19th April 2008, 8:10pm) *

No, you've got it exactly backwards. I don't know why Giano even bothers any more, but I do know that when he finally gives up and goes over to the dark side that Wikipedia as an entity better be ready to be extremely scared....

Giano does not forget. Giano gets even. And Giano is not dumb.

This post has been edited by the fieryangel:
+Quote Post
Pumpkin Muffins

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(KamrynMatika @ Sat 19th April 2008, 12:28pm) *

Could Giano be any more of a drama queen? I can't stand the guy. I hope he gets banned soon.

Wikipedia is one huge dramafest. But for once, here's drama that is actually important. Giano's battles generally flare up when he runs across incompetent morons who happen to be admins.

Until 1=2 is a good example. That guy hasn't created any significant content in thousands of edits, if ever. He just hangs out on irc socializing, then he struts around on-wiki engaging in endless pompous opining, wherever the drama is. He recently started following Giano around and picking on him. Not a good move.

Or FT2 - ask the guy a simple question and you get drenched in gallons of sewage. Then you ask the question again and he still fails to answer it. Then you ask a tough question and he gets snippy with you. His MO seems to be endless circumlocution and stream of conciseness bullshit obfuscation. But maybe that's generous, maybe he just can't think clearly. Any intelligent person who considers the meaning of words important would get fed up with him.

I don't think Giano is a drama queen, I think his spirit is invested in the project, along with thousands of his hours creating content, and he just can't stand to watch the less endowed members of the leadership piddle all over the project.
+Quote Post
badlydrawnjeff

Writing four featured articles made me a danger to the project.

Group: Contributors
Member No.: 1,007

No, Giano's just Italian. don't you get it?

What the hell was that, seriously?
+Quote Post
Pumpkin Muffins

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(badlydrawnjeff @ Sat 19th April 2008, 1:29pm) *

No, Giano's just Italian. don't you get it?

What the hell was that, seriously?

en could do with a few more Italians like Giano.

This post has been edited by Pumpkin Muffins:
+Quote Post
wikiwhistle

Postmaster

QUOTE(KamrynMatika @ Sat 19th April 2008, 8:28pm) *

What's drama queen about it? The treatment he's received is not right, if it was from most other editors the clique would dislike it intensely.
+Quote Post
Pumpkin Muffins

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Sat 19th April 2008, 1:19pm) *

No, you've got it exactly backwards. I don't know why Giano even bothers any more, but I do know that when he finally gives up and goes over to the dark side that Wikipedia as an entity better be ready to be extremely scared....

Are you talking to me? Giano doesn't start fights. Go talk to him, interact with him. You will find that he's one of the nicest editors around - until you pick on him, or refuse to answer a simple question, or try to 'rule' him via #admins, or as an arbcom member agree to address something then wander off and forget about it.

Wikipedia has this incredible dichotomy; it's constructed of words, yet the leadership is never as good as their words. For example, the arbcom agreed to address #admins, then they completely flaked out, and now they are taking great umbrage when asked to account for it.

+Quote Post
Proabivouac

Bane of all wikiland

QUOTE(KStreetSlave @ Sat 19th April 2008, 7:39pm) *

Funny, I see Giano as the kid that, when hit, hits back.

QUOTE(Pumpkin Muffins @ Sat 19th April 2008, 8:47pm) *

Are you talking to me? Giano doesn't start fights. Go talk to him, interact with him. You will find that he's one of the nicest editors around - until you pick on him, or refuse to answer a simple question, or try to 'rule' him via #admins, or as an arbcom member agree to address something then wander off and forget about it.

That's exactly right.
+Quote Post
dogbiscuit

Could you run through Verifiability not Truth once more?

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,015

Well, if we are playing analogies, isn't Giano the naive member of the public who has spotted a corrupt police officer, taken it to the police complaints board, is told that the problem will be dealt with, and then wonders why he has been stopped and searched 20 times in the last 6 months, even though his complaint was acknowledged to be well grounded?

Or perhaps...

I'll get me coat.
+Quote Post
jorge

Postmaster

QUOTE(Pumpkin Muffins @ Sat 19th April 2008, 9:47pm) *

Are you talking to me?

(IMG:http://www.peterhengl.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/taxidriver.jpg)
+Quote Post
Proabivouac

Bane of all wikiland

QUOTE(KamrynMatika @ Sat 19th April 2008, 7:28pm) *

Look this is a voluntary project. We're all here to build an encyclopedia. As far as I can see you're just pissed off at the arb ruling. I know nothing about you're history, but shit like this shouldn't be posted. This page shouldn't even exist for fucks sake...nor should arbcom...it's just people who want to make bad shit happen to people who have done stuff to them out of spite, that's why this page is here, to report crap like that, not to start it. Forget about it, you're just stirring up drama, go edit the mainspace.--Jaeger123 19:14, 19 April 2008 (UTC)

Jaeger123 is as obvious a sockpuppet - using ArbCom's tough new standard of any new username or alternate account - as they come:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...23&month=&year=

Immediately after creating this account, he jumps right into AfD’s, the help desk, AIV, requesting rollback, opposes an RfA and jumps onto ANI for that foul-mouthed screed.

He's a liar:
QUOTE(Jaeger123)

"I created my account on the 11 April after a few days as editing as an ip…"
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=205115659

This post has been edited by Proabivouac:
+Quote Post
Giano

QUOTE(jorge @ Sat 19th April 2008, 10:31pm) *

QUOTE(Pumpkin Muffins @ Sat 19th April 2008, 9:47pm) *

Are you talking to me?

(IMG:http://www.peterhengl.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/taxidriver.jpg)

How you get that foto of me? - Don't let Daniel Brandt see it!

Giano
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

Member No.: 3,670

Real life drama is God's default method of education, when all other conventional methods of education have utterly failed.
+Quote Post
the fieryangel

the Internet Review Corporation is watching you...

Member No.: 577

QUOTE(Pumpkin Muffins @ Sat 19th April 2008, 8:47pm) *

QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Sat 19th April 2008, 1:19pm) *

Wikipedia has this incredible dichotomy; it's constructed of words, yet the leadership is never as good as their words. For example, the arbcom agreed to address #admins, then they completely flaked out, and now they are taking great umbrage when asked to account for it.

Sorry, I misunderstood to what you were refering; that makes sense.

However, the day Giano decides to take out Wikipedia is the day that it's all over for them. I think that he's probably got the evidence to do it too....
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

Note that Gandhi did not kick the British out of India.

He predicted that, in the end, the British would leave India of their own accord.

And he was right.

But first he needed to help the British appreciate that their practices in India were ill-conceived, ill-advised, and counter-productive of their core cultural values.

I'm not sure I can accurately recite the core values of Wikipedia, but if it's to produce a reputable and responsible online encyclopedia that rises to normative standards of accuracy, excellence, and ethics in media, then I daresay the current practices of the site are demonstrably ill-conceived, ill-advised and counter-productive of that presumptive objective.
+Quote Post
Random832

meh

QUOTE(Proabivouac @ Sat 19th April 2008, 9:48pm) *

Jaeger123 is as obvious a sockpuppet - using ArbCom's tough new standard of any new username or alternate account - as they come:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...23&month=&year=

"copyedit i think it's called" - are they TRYING to make it obvious? No-one but an established wikipedian would think that "copyedit" is a word unique to wikipedia that non-wikipedians would not be familiar with. Can anyone say "trying too hard"?
+Quote Post
wikiwhistle

Postmaster

QUOTE(Random832 @ Sun 20th April 2008, 5:53pm) *

"copyedit i think it's called" - are they TRYING to make it obvious? No-one but an established wikipedian would think that "copyedit" is a word unique to wikipedia that non-wikipedians would not be familiar with. Can anyone say "trying too hard"?

I had to ask what they meant by 'copyedit', when someone used it on wiki. I've never heard it used in everyday life. I'm not questioning your saying that it is, I'm just saying that I have never come across anyone using it in the UK in everyday speech, the media or when I was at uni.
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

I had not encountered the term, either.

And I confess I still don't know what it means, either on-wiki or elsewhere.

This post has been edited by Moulton:
+Quote Post
wikiwhistle

Postmaster

QUOTE(Moulton @ Sun 20th April 2008, 7:56pm) *

I had not encountered the term, either.

And I confess I still don't know what it means, either on-wiki or elsewhere.

They mean when a wikipedian attempts to improve grammar, flow, style of a piece of writing I think. Sometimes hard to believe they do that (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Eva Destruction

Fat Cat

Keeping this thread veering off topic, but "copyedit" is an Americanism which an editor from elsewhere wouldn't necessarily know; the English-English equivalent would be "subedit" (or just "sub"). Not that I doubt for one minute that J123 is an SPA...
+Quote Post
jorge

Postmaster

QUOTE(wikiwhistle @ Sun 20th April 2008, 7:34pm) *

I had to ask what they meant by 'copyedit', when someone used it on wiki. I've never heard it used in everyday life. I'm not questioning your saying that it is, I'm just saying that I have never come across anyone using it in the UK in everyday speech, the media or when I was at uni.

I assume it comes from editing copy in a newspaper. So, people who have some experience in print journalism would presumably be most familiar with it.
+Quote Post
written by he who wrote it

Commie Mutant Traitor

Silly Giano. He only has Red clearance; he's not allowed to accuse Violets like FT2 of harassment. He should report for termination immediately.
+Quote Post
Peter Damian

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

A long diatribe from FT on his talk page here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:FT2...hreads_together

which is mostly a personal attack on Giano calculated to provoke the mercurial Italian into some witty comment that will be the end of his career (I predict it will be ended this week, if not today).

One thing I’ve noticed, and perhaps this explains why Giano finds FT2’s comments so disturbing. The sociologist Stanley Cohen coined the term ‘moral panic’ to characterise a reaction by the established order based on the false or exaggerated perception that some person or group, frequently a minority, is 1. deviant 2. poses a menace to the established order 3. Must be punished.

These 3 elements are in all of FT2’s anti-Giano speeches. Count how many times the expression ‘norm’ or ‘communal norm’ occurs in the speeches. 7 times in the last speech alone. This, and similar expressions, communicate that Giano is ‘deviant’ or outside the established norm. Then count how many times he says that Giano’s behaviour is harmful. E.g. “Incivility is not a "victimless" act” – a commonly used phrase used in connection with prostitution, sexual harassment, drug abuse &c. (He also links to the article ‘Victim Blaming’). Finally, count the open and veiled threats that he makes.

No wonder Giano is feeling uncomfortable.
+Quote Post
Random832

meh

QUOTE(wikiwhistle @ Sun 20th April 2008, 6:34pm) *

QUOTE(Random832 @ Sun 20th April 2008, 5:53pm) *

Well then why use the term at all? Either use it or don't, feigned uncertainty isn't going to fool anyone.
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Tue 22nd April 2008, 11:08am) *
The sociologist Stanley Cohen coined the term ‘moral panic’ to characterise a reaction by the established order based on the false or exaggerated perception that some person or group, frequently a minority, is 1. deviant 2. poses a menace to the established order 3. Must be punished.

Interesting. Compare Cohen's notion of 'moral panic' to Victor Turner's concept of liminal social drama and to Rene Girard's notion of alienation and scapegoating.
+Quote Post
ColScott

QUOTE(KamrynMatika @ Sat 19th April 2008, 12:28pm) *

If it's only for the featured articles that we're keeping him around, I'll happily go and write some on architecture or whatever - if it means we get some peace and quiet from the endless histrionics that come from the Giano/Bishonen camp, it's definitely worth it.

Does anyone remember what Giano got blocked for in the first place? Incivility I know, but what specifically was he bugging FT2 about before he called Until a stalker?

Finally.

Until is not a stalker
H is a fat stoned loser named Ryan Bushby who should be in jail doing 2 to 7 in British Columbia.
+Quote Post
Peter Damian

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

QUOTE(ColScott @ Tue 22nd April 2008, 4:40pm) *

Until is not a stalker
H is a fat stoned loser named Ryan Bushby who should be in jail doing 2 to 7 in British Columbia.

Delicately put as always, Colonel Scott.

Meanwhile

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Adm...st_for_eyeballs

FT2 has just advertised his nice speech on ANI. Already Elonka and the mathematically-challenged 1=2 have voiced hearty approval.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)