FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Herostratus - love me or leave me -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Herostratus - love me or leave me
Rating  1
A Horse With No Name

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

Group: Regulars

Because Wikipedia was lacking dramah.

Is there a point to any of this?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Wed 23rd June 2010, 12:56pm) *

No, but it is hilarious. Sorta. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/yak.gif)

Regarding "On [failing to adhere to the standard of decorum expected of administrators] I've served my sentence, in that I was taken to the woodshed by ArbCom, so why should I be punished again now?", in my opinion the fact that you're apparently treating this whole process as one big joke shows that the lesson clearly hasn't sunk in. Wikipedia now isn't the Wikipedia of five years ago, made up of a relatively close-knit community who mostly knew each other and shared each other's in-jokes; it's a loose-knit global community of around 40,000 occasional editors and 4,000 regulars, and what was appropriate then isn't appropriate now; not in an editor and certainly not in an admin. Like it or not, WP:NOBIGDEAL is a thing of the past and those 8,000 new editors joining each month do look to admins as role models; crap like this is never going to be appropriate any more. Resign, and come back in six months if you find you actually miss adminship; I'll lay a reasonable bet that you'll find you don't. – iridescent 16:52, 23 June 2010 (UTC)

You're being too reasonable, dear. Hero's been a smarmy twat ever since he first logged in. And that recall page ought to be an embarrassment to Wikipedia, yet hardly anyone even looks at it.
+Quote Post
Eva Destruction

Fat Cat

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Wed 23rd June 2010, 9:44pm) *

You're being too reasonable, dear. Hero's been a smarmy twat ever since he first logged in. And that recall page ought to be an embarrassment to Wikipedia, yet hardly anyone even looks at it.

Re-read what I wrote, it was worded quite carefully. Wikipedia five years ago was a bunch of nerds and weirdos sharing crappy in-jokes and maintaining a shitty website that nobody read, and people like this fit right in. Wikipedia now (whether you think it's a good or a bad thing) is full of kids and casual visitors who aren't steeped in net-nerd culture, maintaining a still-shitty website that lots of people read. The kind of fuckwittery that was acceptable five years ago, since nobody gave a shit, is no longer appropriate. The vast majority of Wikipedia's "problem" admins are members of this pre-2006 old guard, fighting to maintain their status in a culture where they're increasingly out of place.
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Wed 23rd June 2010, 1:50pm) *
The kind of fuckwittery that was acceptable five years ago, since nobody gave a shit, is no longer appropriate. The vast majority of Wikipedia's "problem" admins are members of this pre-2006 old guard, fighting to maintain their status in a culture where they're increasingly out of place.

Absolutely well-said.

(Did you read this? Does that not scream "smarmy twit" or what?)

Perhaps I should tiptoe around Herostratus, he being damaged goods.

My ultimate point: he's not the only one getting away with it. Clearly, Wikipedia has an ingrained culture of smarminess and assholery. By all means, recall Herostratus, if you can. His recall has attracted some of the worst of WP's admin freak-show, people like Cirt and Stifle. If sanity prevailed, THEY should be recalled, too. And so should a long list of other smarmy twits, who have had the Magic Admin Fairy Wand too damned long.

Here's a WP: BOLD idea for ya. If WP was run by reasonable people, adminship would be a short-term position, perhaps for two years or thereabouts. Even American Congressmen, despite a general systemic tendency to be reelected automatically, still have to re-run for the seat every two years.

But nooooo.......adminship is a lifetime appointment. So, nerds and crackpots vote each other into the club for life.
Great idea! Guarantees quality! [/sarcasm]

This post has been edited by EricBarbour:
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Wed 23rd June 2010, 2:04pm) *

But nooooo.......adminship is a lifetime appointment. So, nerds and crackpots vote each other into the club for life.
Great idea! Guarantees quality! [/sarcasm]

And Caesar was granted the title "Dictator for Life..."

It might even change the culture a bit if they called these positions what they are, which is Administrator for Life.

At present, I think it's only partly power-hunger that keeps the present beaurocracy in place. Yes, of course Stifle and his ilk knows he'd never survive "re-election." The other part of it, though, is shear laziness. The site creaks along on a couple of thousand admins who mostly spend their time doing work a machine could do for them (although the new weak version of flagged revisions, I predict will spread and become the norm, eventually). They're short-handed as it is, and don't quite know what to do about it. If everything turned over every two years, it would just add that much work to the thing.

They're in sort of a tough bind. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
ulsterman

Group: Inactive

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Wed 23rd June 2010, 8:56pm) *

And frighteningly it's 11/8/6. Thus the early signs are that plenty of people might want herostratus to be an admin. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/blink.gif) Of course, a lot can happen in seven days ...
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

Support: If for no other reason than to offset Cirt's stupidity below. --MZMcBride (talk) 16:35, 23 June 2010 (UTC)

For those of you who don't read Hollywood Reporter, McBride was recently cast as Prof. Phineas J. Whoopie in the upcoming live-action feature film based on "Tennessee Tuxedo." (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
MZMcBride

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Wed 23rd June 2010, 7:12pm) *
Support: If for no other reason than to offset Cirt's stupidity below. --MZMcBride (talk) 16:35, 23 June 2010 (UTC)
For those of you who don't read Hollywood Reporter, McBride was recently cast as Prof. Phineas J. Whoopie in the upcoming live-action feature film based on "Tennessee Tuxedo." (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/blink.gif)
Jesus, if you're going to insult someone, at least include a YouTube or Wikipedia link. Like I have any idea what the hell "Tennessee Tuxedo" is (and I'm certainly not alone). Perhaps best to stick to a non-comedic profession.
+Quote Post
Kevin

Group: Contributors
Member No.: 10,522

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Thu 24th June 2010, 5:56am) *

Is there anything lamer than a neutral vote at RFA? What is the point of these?

To me, they read "I haven't seen which way the wind is blowing, so I can't vote yet in case I'm on the losing side". (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/confused.gif)
+Quote Post
Cedric

General Gato

Member No.: 1,116

QUOTE(MZMcBride @ Wed 23rd June 2010, 8:34pm) *

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Wed 23rd June 2010, 7:12pm) *
Jesus, if you're going to insult someone, at least include a YouTube or Wikipedia link. Like I have any idea what the hell "Tennessee Tuxedo" is (and I'm certainly not alone). Perhaps best to stick to a non-comedic profession.

Stuff and nonsense! Next you will try to convince us you have never heard of the famous Commander McBragg. Balderdash, Chumley! Unalloyed buncombe!

"Quite."
+Quote Post
milowent

The new RFA has been closed by Nihonjoe, under a determination that the recall RFA process is not approved and violates WP:RPC/U.

Cirt was immediately questioning it. User_talk:Nihonjoe#Wikipedia:Requests_for_adminship.2FHerostratus_2

see also User_talk:Herostratus#RFA_closed_early

i opposed the recall because the guy has a freakin sense of humor and the new RFA was a witch-hunt because Herostratus called a ridiculously marginal BLP subject a "mook" and "homophobe" in an AfD. Big whoop.
+Quote Post
CharlotteWebb

Postmaster General

QUOTE(milowent @ Thu 24th June 2010, 5:31am) *

i opposed the recall because the guy has a freakin sense of humor

That's not how I'd conjugate the tenth word. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ermm.gif)
+Quote Post
milowent

QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Thu 24th June 2010, 6:40am) *

That's not how I'd conjugate the tenth word. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ermm.gif)

you mean conjugal?
+Quote Post
Subtle Bee

melli fera, fera...

QUOTE(milowent @ Wed 23rd June 2010, 10:46pm) *

QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Thu 24th June 2010, 6:40am) *

you mean conjugal?

-in(g), -ish, -azoid.

-out!
+Quote Post
Zoloft

May we all find solace in our dreams.

Member No.: 16,621

The new RFA has been closed by Nihonjoe, under a determination that the recall RFA process is not approved and violates WP:RPC/U.

Cirt was immediately questioning it. User_talk:Nihonjoe#Wikipedia:Requests_for_adminship.2FHerostratus_2

see also User_talk:Herostratus#RFA_closed_early

i opposed the recall because the guy has a freakin sense of humor and the new RFA was a witch-hunt because Herostratus called a ridiculously marginal BLP subject a "mook" and "homophobe" in an AfD. Big whoop.

As the level of lulz increases, it's been fussily reopened. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/popcorn.gif)
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

Perhaps you have a less self-aware sense of humor than I do, because I find his "jokes" to be amazingly imbecilic, pedantic and tactless. Just being self-effacing isn't quite sufficient. (Especially if you're gonna make light of your intensive editing of articles dealing with pedophilia.) Perhaps it's a wiki-witch-hunt, it isn't the first and it damn well won't be the last. Still, I'm having difficulty managing some sympathy.

After reopening, now it's 14/20/12. Not going too well, eh, Hero, you dick?......
+Quote Post
Eva Destruction

Fat Cat

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Thu 24th June 2010, 9:34am) *

Perhaps you have a less self-aware sense of humor than I do, because I find his "jokes" to be amazingly imbecilic, pedantic and tactless.

Exactly. Either you think Wikipedia's a failure as an "encyclopedia" and has become a chatroom full of kids, in which case this kind of thing is totally inappropriate. Or, you think Wikipedia still has the potential to be a genuine academic project, in which case this kind of thing is totally inappropriate. I find it hard to imagine anywhere where this kind of sub-Horsey "comedy" would be appropriate—I doubt even ED would want it.
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

Member No.: 3,670

Mediocrity, thy name is Wikipedia.

How pathetic. WP fails as a serious academic enterprise, and it mostly fails as an absurdist self-parody.
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

QUOTE(MZMcBride @ Wed 23rd June 2010, 9:34pm) *

First, my name is not Jesus. Second, I never write for the lowest common denominator. And, third, anyone who has never heard of Tennessee Tuxedo is a ninny. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/dry.gif)

QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Thu 24th June 2010, 5:58am) *
I find it hard to imagine anywhere where this kind of sub-Horsey "comedy" would be appropriate—I doubt even ED would want it.

Uh, hello, when did I become the last stop on the road to bad taste? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/hrmph.gif)

Besides, I would never (1) make fun of the Dutch -- Queen Beatrix is still hot, (2) make fun of drug addicts -- too many of my friends had ruined lives because of that, (3) make fun of the constellation Orion -- it happens to be my favorite constellation, (4) make fun of Mendel -- simply because there is no reason to, and (5) write something as thoroughly dismal as that paragraph. So stick that in your pipe and smoke it. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/yecch.gif)

Unrelated observation: Nice to see "noobs" like Andromedabluesphere440, East of Borschov, The Blade of the Northern Lights and Tommy2010 becoming well-versed regulars at RfA after a mere three or four months on Wikipedia. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/wink.gif)

This post has been edited by A Horse With No Name:
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

QUOTE(Cedric @ Wed 23rd June 2010, 10:40pm) *

He was the greatest man that never lived. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Ottava

Ãœber Pokemon

I wonder if Nihonjoe realizes that what he did is an abuse of Bureaucratic ops and that he can now have them removed by ArbCom or the community through a similar request. That would be interesting, as I don't really remember much from Nihonjoe that has ever made me think that he would be trustworthy with adminship let alone something else.
+Quote Post
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 275

QUOTE(Ottava @ Thu 24th June 2010, 9:13am) *
I wonder if Nihonjoe realizes that what he did is an abuse of Bureaucratic ops and that he can now have them removed by ArbCom or the community through a similar request.

I doubt it, personally. Word on the street is that he's suffering from advanced Alzheimer's Disease and doesn't even know his own address, or the names of any of his 573 children, all by different women. Moreover, he's been forced to live under a park bench, nearly starving to death, because he can't remember the PIN for his ATM card in order to get access to his checking account - which is rumored to contain over $47 million due to his having one the Mega Millions Lottery just over a year ago. As a result, his internet access has been spotty, since he's been having to lug his EeePC netbook into various coffee shops and shopping mall food courts in order to connect. Luckily, none of this has interfered with his administrator/bureaucrat duties on Wikipedia - if anything, these factors have actually enhanced his ability to implement administrative actions that are consistent with Wikipedia policy and procedure, as evidenced by his apparent support of User:Herostratus.

Despite his having been treated somewhat unfairly (IMO) here and elsewhere for his attempts to take a supposedly "constructive" approach to the WP pedophile problem, I still believe Herostratus should not be an admin, even on a site like Wikipedia.

That would be interesting, as I don't really remember much from Nihonjoe that has ever made me think that he would be trustworthy with adminship let alone something else.

Ah, but do you remember rock 'n' roll radio? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/hmmm.gif)
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

τὰ δέ μοι παθήματα μαθήματα γέγονε

Member No.: 5,619

QUOTE(Somey @ Thu 24th June 2010, 1:12pm) *

Ah, but do you remember rock 'n' roll radio? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/hmmm.gif)

Heck, I remember rock 'n' roll rodeo (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/boing.gif)

Jon (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/oldtimer.gif)

+Quote Post
ulsterman

QUOTE(Ottava @ Thu 24th June 2010, 3:13pm) *

I wonder if Nihonjoe realizes that what he did is an abuse of Bureaucratic ops and that he can now have them removed by ArbCom or the community through a similar request. That would be interesting, as I don't really remember much from Nihonjoe that has ever made me think that he would be trustworthy with adminship let alone something else.

Nihonjoe is no fool; he knew exactly what he was doing. It seems to me a perfect example of when you should use WP:IAR. It was a breach of the rules with the aim of improving the project. We should be pleased that there is a bureaucrat with the intelligence and bravery to use WP:IAR so effectively.
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

QUOTE(ulsterman @ Thu 24th June 2010, 4:36pm) *

Nihonjoe is no fool; he knew exactly what he was doing. It seems to me a perfect example of when you should use WP:IAR. It was a breach of the rules with the aim of improving the project. We should be pleased that there is a bureaucrat with the intelligence and bravery to use WP:IAR so effectively.

VidequeOr, justifying the ways of Nihonjoe to man.

Jon (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)
+Quote Post
Kevin

Member No.: 10,522

QUOTE(ulsterman @ Fri 25th June 2010, 6:36am) *

You really have fallen for the whole Wikipedia thing haven't you? I think there is a 12 step program that could make you normal again.
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

Nihonjoe is no fool

He is so! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)

What do you say we set up a poll here...how many people think Nihonjoe is a fool and how many people think he isn't? That should be interesting. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/evilgrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Ottava

Ãœber Pokemon

From WP:RFA: "Any user may nominate another user with an account."

It does not say "another user without administrator status already".

RfA can be held for those who have adminship already. Everyone who has ever opened up that page can clearly read that. Nihonjoe is a liar and obviously blind.
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

QUOTE(Kevin @ Thu 24th June 2010, 4:52pm) *

You really have fallen for the whole Wikipedia thing haven't you? I think there is a 12 step program that could make you normal again.

Yes, there is … 12 steps down an 11 step plank …

Jon (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Thu 24th June 2010, 1:15pm) *

QUOTE(Somey @ Thu 24th June 2010, 1:12pm) *

Heck, I remember rock 'n' roll rodeo (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/boing.gif)

Jon (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/oldtimer.gif)

Is it true that Risker was a groupie for John Philip Sousa? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ermm.gif)

QUOTE(Ottava @ Thu 24th June 2010, 5:08pm) *
Nihonjoe is a liar and obviously blind.

Why stop there? I can share some fat jokes, if you really want to go the full mile. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Subtle Bee

melli fera, fera...

Jimbo has proclaimed his latest "philosophical thoughts". I'm reminded of Jack Handy.* His first axiom is that "[t]here is broad support for the idea that admins need not keep the same high level of popularity that was necessary to originally become an admin." It's a little like putting the cart before the horse, then shooting the horse while the cart rolls back over the carcass, and then pondering where to go from there. He finishes with this moving endorsement:

It is not clear to me that we can write a policy that gains broad consensus. But if we can, I support the idea in principle.

Now THAT is leadership.

*I think it's sad that a family can be torn apart by something as simple as a pack of wild dogs.
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

QUOTE(Subtle Bee @ Thu 24th June 2010, 6:33pm) *
It's a little like putting the cart before the horse, then shooting the horse while the cart rolls back over the carcass, and then pondering where to go from there.

Uh, there are other animals that you can abuse. Why not pick on the tapir? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/hrmph.gif)
+Quote Post
Subtle Bee

melli fera, fera...

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Thu 24th June 2010, 6:20pm) *

It's a little like putting the cart before the horse, then shooting the horse while the cart rolls back over the carcass, and then pondering where to go from there.

Uh, there are other animals that you can abuse. Why not pick on the tapir? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/hrmph.gif)

1. It makes a poor metaphor - what do you put in front of a tapir? Its snout? More tapirs?
2. Tapirs already have it pretty hard.
3. Inasmuch as you're a horse, I'm a bee. Sometimes I sting.

It's beyond my control.

This post has been edited by Subtle Bee:
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

QUOTE(Subtle Bee @ Thu 24th June 2010, 6:34pm) *

1. It makes a poor metaphor - what do you put in front of a tapir? Its snout? More tapirs?

It's beyond my control.

Hey, tapirs sometimes make great metaphors. Even for abuse. What you put in front of them is (obviously) an alien-controlled hominid with a bone to pick.

(IMG:http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll191/Shrlocc/2001_space_odyssey.jpg)
+Quote Post
milowent

current vote tally: 40/29/12

it was even at the beginning, took a big swing for the negative, and has slowly swung in his favor, though there are still 5 days to go if it stays open for the whole 7 days.
+Quote Post
Subtle Bee

melli fera, fera...

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Thu 24th June 2010, 7:05pm) *

QUOTE(Subtle Bee @ Thu 24th June 2010, 6:34pm) *

It's beyond my control.

Hey, tapirs sometimes make great metaphors. Even for abuse. What you put in front of them is (obviously) an alien-controlled hominid with a bone to pick.

Yeah well, use it in a sentence (ok, another one). I swear, it's like pearls before swine (see what I did there?). Anyway, that still leaves 2, 3, and Malkovich.

Besides, tapirs are essentially short, fat, big-nosed horses, so naturally our elitist equine would encourage me to pick on them. But I'll be damned if I'll succumb to the sort of creeping ottavism that expects to dictate my editorial decisions.
+Quote Post
CharlotteWebb

Postmaster General

This thread has begun to tapir into stupidity.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Thu 24th June 2010, 7:54pm) *

But it cannot die, until Herostratus' fate is decided. And hair and fingernails grow for 48 hours after death, but phone calls tapir off.* (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)

* Johnny Carson
+Quote Post
CharlotteWebb

Postmaster General

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Fri 25th June 2010, 3:10am) *

But it cannot die, until Herostratus' fate is decided. And hair and fingernails grow for 48 hours after death, but phone calls tapir off.* (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)

Actually the skin just shrinks.
+Quote Post
Subtle Bee

melli fera, fera...

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Thu 24th June 2010, 8:10pm) *

QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Thu 24th June 2010, 7:54pm) *

Whatever, I offered a dash of actual content, I don't get to pick what we talk about (see creeping ottavism). But quite by accident, I found this gem that perfectly encapsulates the essence of this thread, so while we're all waiting for shoes to drop we can enjoy it together!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)