FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
MZM back on RFA -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> MZM back on RFA, voters already handing him his ass
CharlotteWebb

Postmaster General

Group: Regulars

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Req...hip/MZMcBride_4

Mr. McBride has a super-majority of 100 voters opposing him after only 24 hours. I realize this is probably non-salvageable but I hope he keeps it open and sets a new record.

MZMcBride (talk · contribs) – I've been around a while. I have a few thousand edits and a few thousand more actions on the English Wikipedia. I'm a fairly active bot operator (see list here), an admin on several other Wikimedia wikis, I keep database reports up and running for the most part, and I'm very lightly involved in MediaWiki development. Just recently, I submitted my first patch! :-)

Oh, is that really all it takes? I submitted a patch once myself but it was rejected because it contained IE-unfriendly CSS.

In all seriousness the toolserver folks were the only ones in a position to sanction him. As such he should not have resigned.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ulsterman

Group: Inactive

QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Wed 25th August 2010, 9:12am) *

Mr. McBride has a super-majority of 100 voters opposing him after only 24 hours.

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/blink.gif) We must be looking at different Wikipedias. I'm seeing "26/77/12" and in my book, 77 opposes is a lot less than 100. No doubt he'll run up 100 eventually, but WR:ISNOT a crystal ball.
+Quote Post
CharlotteWebb

Postmaster General

QUOTE(ulsterman @ Wed 25th August 2010, 9:31am) *

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/blink.gif) We must be looking at different Wikipedias. I'm seeing "26/77/12" and in my book, 77 opposes is a lot less than 100. No doubt he'll run up 100 eventually, but WR:ISNOT a crystal ball.

Those opposing him form a super-majority of the ~100 voters in question, so kindly stop being a douche, Mikey.
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

Group: Contributors
Member No.: 3,670

QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Wed 25th August 2010, 5:44am) *
Kindly stop being a douche, Mikey.

What's wrong with a little hygiene?
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Wed 25th August 2010, 4:12am) *

Po' Skinnybones is getting deep fried by his peers. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)

But some folks like him:

Support. Agree with others who think he is a net positive, plus he seems irresistibly charming . - Josette (talk) 05:09, 25 August 2010 (UTC)

+Quote Post
Ottava

Ãœber Pokemon

He has my support.

Also, for the CU/OS elections, I recommend only MuZemike, Tiptoety, Bastique, and MBisanz.

Now, my minions, go make my five pics so.

Mwah ha ha ha ha ha.

Ah ha ha ha ha ha.

Ha ha.

Ha.

I'm afraid McBride might pass my oppose total (but I should keep that record for neutrals if some of those weasels hop into a real decision).
+Quote Post
Anonymous editor

Ãœber Member

look at his answers to people who are asking about previous desysoppings:

6. Related to 4 and 5 above, but more to the point: You've broken the community's trust before, and lost your sysop bit as a result. What specific actions have you taken to regain that trust, and how are we to know you won't break it again?

A: I'm not sure I understand your question. Can you be a bit more specific?

5. To piggyback on B!sZ's question. AGF is something that is generally applied to those who don't know better. You do know better, and having seen the problems in the past, they were largely characterized by an unwillingness on your part to acknowledge that perhaps you had not chosen the best course of action. Or, to be a little more pithy: what assurance do we have that you will ask questions first and shoot later, rather than the reverse?

4. You haven't really said anything about your previous admin incarnations or why they came to an end, but I gather there was some ArbCom connection. Would you care to tell us what happened, give us a few relevant links, although you have given us a couple of links. Could you please explain why there won't be any problems this time?

A: Well, experience and understanding come with time.

someone should vote "Oppose I'm not sure I understand this RfA. Can you be a bit more specific?" or "Oppose Experience and understanding come with time. Give it about ten years."
+Quote Post
bluejayfan

Neophyte

Group: Members
Member No.: 25,248

Still hasn't withdrawn RfA even though his odds are impossible and he just looks like a fool by now. This is so typical of him - stubborn, arrogant and clueless.
+Quote Post
bluejayfan

Neophyte

Member No.: 25,248

A bureaucrat closed MzM's RfA early, so MZM re-opened it himself, leading to a predictable long follow-up discussion.
+Quote Post
Ottava

Ãœber Pokemon

Nihonjoe should have his Cratship removed for such a stunt.

Crats are supposed to be completely removed from such politics and also are limited to specific guidelines. He violated every single aspect of the policy (except for the whole Bot and Renaming part) in just this instance, and has a year long track record of screwing up (perhaps to cause drama and lulz, because he seems rather desperate for attention lately).

Where are all the Arbs about removing him? Why haven't you people gotten off your lazy butts and done it already. Instead, you bother with petty stuff and ban good users and let that troll walk around? Pathetic.

I pointed out the stupidity of having him here and people failed. You'd think when the community says "hell no" three times that chances are the guy has too many problems to be truly objective.

By the way, lets see if any current admin has the guts to do what is right and block Nihonjoe for abuse of process, WP:POINT, and just being a complete incivil douche.

This post has been edited by Ottava:
+Quote Post
Theanima

QUOTE(Ottava @ Wed 25th August 2010, 5:05pm) *

Nihonjoe should have his Cratship removed for such a stunt.

For closing an RFA? That's what bureaucrats do, Ottava.

He violated every single aspect of the policy (except for the whole Bot and Renaming part) in just this instance, and has a year long track record of screwing up (perhaps to cause drama and lulz, because he seems rather desperate for attention lately).

Diffs? Evidence? Anything at all?

Where are all the Arbs about removing him? ... instead, you bother with petty stuff...

Urm...

By the way, lets see if any current admin has the guts to do what is right and block Nihonjoe for abuse of process, WP:POINT...

That would be actual abuse. Good thing you didn't become an admin, you'd have been worse than MZMcBride!

...and just being a complete incivil douche...

Just like you apparently. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Eva Destruction

Fat Cat

QUOTE(Theanima @ Wed 25th August 2010, 5:41pm) *

He violated every single aspect of the policy (except for the whole Bot and Renaming part) in just this instance, and has a year long track record of screwing up (perhaps to cause drama and lulz, because he seems rather desperate for attention lately).

I assume (correct me if I'm wrong) that Ottava has this in mind.
+Quote Post
Theanima

QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Wed 25th August 2010, 5:48pm) *

QUOTE(Theanima @ Wed 25th August 2010, 5:41pm) *

I assume (correct me if I'm wrong) that Ottava has this in mind.

Ahh. I think it was pretty stupid of Postlethwaite to publicly label Tyciol, whether it was true or not, and should have left it to Arbcom. Nevertheless Nihonjoe shouldn't have made such a fuss about it.
+Quote Post
MZMcBride

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Anonymous editor @ Wed 25th August 2010, 10:15am) *

6. Related to 4 and 5 above, but more to the point: You've broken the community's trust before, and lost your sysop bit as a result. What specific actions have you taken to regain that trust, and how are we to know you won't break it again?

Interesting that you left out the 350-word answer to the follow-up. What does that say about you?

someone should vote "Oppose I'm not sure I understand this RfA. Can you be a bit more specific?" or "Oppose Experience and understanding come with time. Give it about ten years."
You say that as though it would be funnier or more pithy than the current set of opposes. Account creation is free; go wild.

QUOTE(bluejayfan @ Wed 25th August 2010, 11:19am) *
Still hasn't withdrawn RfA even though his odds are impossible and he just looks like a fool by now.
Well, better to look like a fool than be one. Or something.

Welcome to the Review, bluejayfan. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Anonymous editor

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(MZMcBride @ Wed 25th August 2010, 3:16pm) *

Interesting that you left out the 350-word answer to the follow-up. What does that say about you?

Baloney. That was your initial response to the questions. Zero attempt to explain at all. It took an awfully long time for you to respond at all. The tally stood at (38/93/13) when you finally did.

What does that say about you?

Consider this my oppose based on not even bothering to go into the whole thing, which is what people care about when someone is trying to get back the tools.

The smart move would have been to cut it off at the pass by making a statement at the beginning. But no, you couldn't be bothered. Then several people ask about various things related to the desysoppings, and instead of giving an explanation you knew people wanted, you chose to stall with "be more specific", when the questions were perfectly plain.

Then when pressed, you finally gave some kind of acknowledgment of the issues. Terrific. If you want plaudits for that, I'm afraid you'll have to look elsewhere.

This post has been edited by Anonymous editor:
+Quote Post
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 275

QUOTE(Anonymous editor @ Wed 25th August 2010, 2:21pm) *
Baloney. That was your initial response to the questions. Zero attempt to explain at all. It took an awfully long time for you to respond at all. The tally stood at (38/93/13) when you finally did.

What does that say about you?

That he has a low tolerance for bullshit? That's just a guess... (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ermm.gif)

Two of the person(s) asking the question(s) about his "previous admin incarnations" (wtf kind of word-choice is that?) characterized the incident that led to his last "desysopping" as "helping a banned user vandalize unwatched BLPs." That, right there, shows just how utterly clueless, sheep-like, and insular the WP Faithful really are, at least as far as BLP issues are concerned.

Having said that, I can sort of see why they wouldn't want him to be an admin again, based strictly on his ability to "play nice," which has clearly decreased over time. (No offense, MZM - it's actually supposed to be a kind of back-handed compliment, in fact. Btw, does anybody remember if he played nice early on? I don't have time to research that question at the moment.)
+Quote Post
Anonymous editor

Ãœber Member

Malleus, for one, would consider that a compliment.

I don't think it's necessarily a positive or a negative trait. It's just something that's necessary at times.

Since his primary objective here is not actually to pass the RfA, I guess playing nice isn't necessary at all.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(Moulton @ Wed 25th August 2010, 4:47am) *

QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Wed 25th August 2010, 5:44am) *
Kindly stop being a douche, Mikey.

What's wrong with a little hygiene?

Twat maintenence may be necessary, but is best not done in public. I think this should be a WP sixth pillar.

And as for the above discussion, WP:SNO should be better known.

+Quote Post
The Joy

I am a millipede! I am amazing!

Member No.: 982

Why does a developer like MZM need administrator tools, anyhow? What does he need them for? To my knowledge, he was never a big blocker or XFD closer or the like.
+Quote Post
Theanima

QUOTE(The Joy @ Wed 25th August 2010, 9:51pm) *

Why does a developer like MZM need administrator tools, anyhow? What does he need them for? To my knowledge, he was never a big blocker or XFD closer or the like.

He deleted a lot.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)