FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Philippe Beaudette hires a helper -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Philippe Beaudette hires a helper
thekohser

Group: Regulars

Philippe Beaudette, whom most of you know as the guy who wired the no-bid research contract to Q2 Consulting (his previous employer) has hired a right-hand gal on a temp basis, Christine Moellenberndt.

Christine Moellenberndt’s Summary

I am currently attending San Jose State University, in pursuit of a Master's degree in Applied Anthropology. My thesis research focuses around stakeholder relations in Web 2.0. My research analyzes relations between the owners of LiveJournal, a blogging website, and their users through posts made by the company to communicate to the community, the community's response in replies and messages on other LiveJournal communities, as well as interviews with LJ employees and users and anonymous surveys.

This research will answer questions surrounding formation of online communities and the feelings of ownership around those communities. My other areas of interest include identity in online communities, categories of insider and outsider as they pertain to online communities, self-identification, acceptance into these communities, and also into the broader category of "geek."

After graduation, I plan to take my new-found knowledge (and my 12 years of experience in the tech industry, with 10 years of experience with online communities) into the tech sector to assist companies with their understanding and usage of their online customer/user base.
Christine Moellenberndt’s Specialties:

Unique knowledge of online communities, both as a researcher and as a member of several, understanding of the "geek" mindset, ability to translate from "geek" to "non-geek"
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Zoloft

May we all find solace in our dreams.

Member No.: 16,621

So she's the Margaret Mead of nerds?

This article is interesting... it gives a little insight into her 'lived in her mother's basement for eight years' stage...

Kinda nerdy...

This post has been edited by Zoloft:
+Quote Post
Herschelkrustofsky

Group: Members
Member No.: 130

QUOTE(Zoloft @ Sun 24th October 2010, 6:22pm) *

So she's the Margaret Mead of nerds?
Only if she starts dating Jimbo.
+Quote Post
Zoloft

I'm still finding more references to her whining about her college debt...

Also, from here:
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 96 15:58:44 EDT
Name:: Christine Moellenberndt
E-mail:: catwoman@inreach.com
RQFC-topic: Masonic history and purposes
Message:: I'm a Past Worthy Advisor of my Rainbow assembly, and Master of the Grand Cross of Color. I'm doing a research paper on Masonry, and am doing my own research, as my father is considering becoming a mason. Anyone who knows of some good books or articles is encouraged to mail me with their information.

She leaves little paw-prints all over the Internet...
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

QUOTE(thekohser @ Sun 24th October 2010, 6:15pm) *

Philippe Beaudette, whom most of you know as the guy who wired the no-bid research contract to Q2 Consulting (his previous employer) has hired a right-hand gal on a temp basis, Christine Moellenberndt.

She's got a Facebook.......looks like a nerdy young woman to me......I don't see any connections to Wikimedia insiders, though.
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Sun 24th October 2010, 9:37pm) *

She's got a Facebook.......looks like a nerdy young woman to me......I don't see any connections to Wikimedia insiders, though.

And down goes her Facebook page's sharing level. That didn't take her long. I didn't even get to suggest to her my Examiner article about her new boss' technique of no-compete bidding.

This post has been edited by thekohser:
+Quote Post
SB_Johnny

It wasn't me who made honky-tonk angels

QUOTE(thekohser @ Sun 24th October 2010, 10:20pm) *

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Sun 24th October 2010, 9:37pm) *

And down goes her Facebook page's sharing level. That didn't take her long. I didn't even get to suggest to her my Examiner article about her new boss' technique of no-compete bidding.

Redhead. Where's Moulton?
+Quote Post
thekohser

This thread is now the #5 result on a Google search for Christine Moellenberndt.
+Quote Post
thekohser

My coverage of the story in Examiner.com isn't going over so well with the Comments crowd.

If Moellenberndt personally doesn't like the coverage, perhaps I could modify the article, or even delete it, but that would require her engaging with me, and the WMF has manifestly declined obligation to engage me.

Anybody else notice how close Moellenberndt is to Moeller / Brandt?

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/fear.gif)
+Quote Post
thekohser

It looks like San Jose State hasn't taught its Applied Anthropology grad students the importance of sample selection and control when conducting quantitative survey research.
+Quote Post
Killiondude

Group: Contributors

This seems like uneventful news reporting. In Wikipedia terms, "non-notable".
+Quote Post
Doc glasgow

Wikipedia:The Sump of All Human Knowledge

Member No.: 90

QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 26th October 2010, 4:54pm) *

My coverage of the story in Examiner.com isn't going over so well with the Comments crowd.

If Moellenberndt personally doesn't like the coverage, perhaps I could modify the article, or even delete it, but that would require her engaging with me, and the WMF has manifestly declined obligation to engage me.

Greg, please please reconsider that article.

Yes, Wikipedia can be evil. But if someone posted that on Wikipedia, I'd delete it on sight.

So, a young girl has taken on a job with an organisation which you find morally bankrupt. Is that any reason for you to victimise her by showing the worst goggle can do on intrusiveness?

Please, tell me you can be better than that? And better than you accuse them of being?

Reconsider?

+Quote Post
carbuncle

Fat Cat

I'm with Doc, here. Unless there's something here that I'm missing, this seems unwarranted and likely only to stoke anti-Kohs sentiment.
+Quote Post
Avirosa

QUOTE(Doc glasgow @ Tue 26th October 2010, 5:58pm) *

Yes, Wikipedia can be evil. But if someone posted that on Wikipedia, I'd delete it on sight.

So, a young girl has taken on a job with an organisation which you find morally bankrupt. Is that any reason for you to victimise her by showing the worst goggle can do on intrusiveness?

Please, tell me you can be better than that? And better than you accuse them of being?

Reconsider?

What has age/gender got to do with anything ? The person in question is an adult making adult choices. Those choices have included disporting personal information around the internet, the stuff that multitudes of WP BLPs are made of, though those BLPs may use pre masticated low rent journalism to justify the inclusion of 'personal details'. No one who works for WMF should expect any better treatment than the worst that any WP BLP dishes out to its subject. At least Ms Moellenberndt doesn't have to live with a 'teen nude in suggestive pose' photo of herself gracing the 'sum of all human knowledge'.

A.virosa
+Quote Post
lilburne

Chameleon

Is it possible to add "Sux cocks" to that article?

Seriously though what has she done to warrant any article? <ind you it does illustrate the point, which shouldn't be lost on the young, not to allow your real name on the internet.
+Quote Post
Doc glasgow

QUOTE(Avirosa @ Tue 26th October 2010, 6:29pm) *

QUOTE(Doc glasgow @ Tue 26th October 2010, 5:58pm) *

Reconsider?

What has age/gender got to do with anything ? The person in question is an adult making adult choices. Those choices have included disporting personal information around the internet, the stuff that multitudes of WP BLPs are made of, though those BLPs may use pre masticated low rent journalism to justify the inclusion of 'personal details'. No one who works for WMF should expect any better treatment than the worst that any WP BLP dishes out to its subject. At least Ms Moellenberndt doesn't have to live with a 'teen nude in suggestive pose' photo of herself gracing the 'sum of all human knowledge'.

A.virosa

Sticking some info on a social networking site isn't (mentally) the same as being the subject of a prurient article in what's designed to look like a newsite. (Although I agree, those posting on social networking need to consider it has the same net effect.)

Now, I'm the first to agree there's a parallel with Wikipedia does. But at least Wikipedia does have a metric of "notability" and didn't scrape stuff from facebook, last I checked.

Greg, if you were making an anti-wikipedia point, you've made it.

This now just makes you look bad.
We've had our differences, but I give you more moral credit than this. Please rethink.

This post has been edited by Doc glasgow:
+Quote Post
thekohser

How about I take the article down when she (at age 33 or 34, mind you) quits the WMF in February?

It's interesting that some of you are saying that my article was sourced from Facebook, but really the key pieces of info were derived from the Scripps Howard News Service, and from Moellenberndt's own professional C.V. on LinkedIn. Or, choose CNN, if you wish.

She's writing a master's thesis on LiveJournal, Inc.'s interaction with its community of users. That's fascinating, I think.

+Quote Post
thekohser

One year before reporting that school loans were practically insurmountable, there was the ability to get from California to Rome.

Christine's Blurbs
About me:
I can't believe I let myself get dragged over here.

I mean, LiveJournal was bad enough. But I let myself get dragged to freaking MySpace!? AM I INSANE?

The short answer is, I am insane but I suffer from prolonged bouts of sanity.

at the moment my life is very dark. i don't see it getting better anytime soon. for now i hope i can just make it through my master's program and not find myself more broken than i currently am.

Who I'd like to meet:

Here's the thing.

I'm not really here to meet new people.

I'm here to find people I knew, and keep in touch with those I know. I'm not here to discover hot new local bands, or hot new anything bands, or guys who are looking for another notch in their belt, etcetera.

So unless I already know you... chances are I'm not going to friend you. This does actually go double for bands. I'm not the band type. I don't do that scene. So if you're looking for a new fan... I think you might want to look elsewhere.

Stuck up? Snobby? Cold? Maybe. But it's the truth.

Oh, and if you read all of this and add me anyway? Do you really think I'm going to add you back if it's that obvious you don't read, comprehend, and pay attention? Yeah, I don't think so either.

Sounds like she's not exactly "helpless".

+Quote Post
thekohser

Then again, it sounds like she could really use some help.

lamest of the lame

* Oct. 21st, 2008 at 11:04 PM

i am so freaking lame, it's disgusting.

i have a midterm due tomorrow. i've had it for two weeks. i have nothing written. and i mean that literally.

any other two weeks i'd have gotten it done by now. i'd probably not be happy with it, but i'd at least have words on a page, and didn't send an email to my advisor at 9:45 asking for more time.

i am so fucking lame.

that and the fact i was falling asleep at my computer at 9:30.

all of this just adds to my giant pile of lameness. lame. lame. lame lame lame. i suck. in a bad way.

fuck everything.

* Oct. 23rd, 2008 at 2:51 PM

there are times i wonder why i fucking bother with anything.

you make a mistake, people get jumpy, and i'm worse off than before.

i swear, why do i even fucking bother? i should just do what i wanted to do so long ago; curl myself into a little ball and insulate myself from anyone and everyone.

i'd quit getting hurt at least.

I hope that her experience with the WMF helps restore a more holistic view of herself and her interaction in social environments.
+Quote Post
anthony

Postmaster

QUOTE(Avirosa @ Tue 26th October 2010, 5:29pm) *

No one who works for WMF should expect any better treatment than the worst that any WP BLP dishes out to its subject.

True. On the other hand, I don't think it's our place to dish out punishment for working there. And I didn't see the point of Greg's story in terms of informing the public.

But maybe I just didn't get it.
+Quote Post
Alison

Skinny Cow!

Member No.: 1,806

So here's an article posing as 'journalism' in which you, Greg, just dig up the dirt on a new WMF employee just in the door. What exactly are you trying to achieve here?

Seriously - how is this any different from a so-called 'encyclopedia' digging up the dirt on someone? Other than the fact that it's Greg Kohs that's doing the digging and that the target is just some nobody who's recently stepped into an org she probably doesn't know all that well (but is likely rapidly discovering). As someone else pointed out, she's "non-notable" and a soft target.

I've seen some excellent journalism coming from you, Greg, and superb research - especially around WMF fundraising shenanigans. This? This is just garbage - sorry (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/angry.gif) Especially coming after this sorry WR thread that you started and saw no problem with. No wonder she didn't reply to your messages to 'engage'. I'm hardly surprised (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/bored.gif)

(cue some non-sequitur about ED sysops. Just dont)
+Quote Post
Text

Haters gonna hate (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Kevin

Member No.: 10,522

I'm thinking the same as Alison, Doc etc. This dilutes your other excellent work where the focus is on the foundation.
+Quote Post
Doc glasgow

QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 26th October 2010, 8:16pm) *

Sounds like she's not exactly "helpless".

Greg this is the same type of amoral self-justifying shite we regularly get from the worst BLP violators and kool-aid drinkers on Wikipedia.

You are even beginning to sound like JoshuaZ.

You wanted to make a comparison with Wikipedia?

Well, congratulations, you just compared yourself with the worst of them and came our on bottom.

"Physician, heal thyself."
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(Alison @ Tue 26th October 2010, 4:43pm) *

So here's an article posing as 'journalism' in which you, Greg, just dig up the dirt on a new WMF employee just in the door. What exactly are you trying to achieve here?

Seriously - how is this any different from a so-called 'encyclopedia' dishing up the dirt on someone? Other than the fact that it's Greg Kohs that's doing the digging and that the target is just some nobody who's recently stepped into an org she probably doesn't know all that well (but it likely rapidly discovering). As someone else pointed out, she's "non-notable" and a soft target.

I've seen some excellent journalism coming from you, Greg, and superb research. This? This is just garbage - sorry (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/angry.gif) Especially coming after this sorry WR thread that you started and saw no problem with. No wonder she didn't reply to your messages to 'engage'. I'm hardly surprised (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/bored.gif)

Thank you for your compliment about some of my excellent journalism, Alison. I will agree that this current story is not my best work, but it was absolutely newsworthy to a citizen journalist whose "beat" includes wikis, Wikipedia, and the Wikimedia Foundation. If I weren't covering every hire and fire at the world's largest organization devoted to wikis, I wouldn't be doing my job as the National Wiki Edits Examiner.

How is Moellenberndt's past documented and factual history as expressed -- by her -- to the mainstream media suddenly "dirt" when I organize it into a news story?

My questions, if they were to be answered by the Wikimedia Foundation (which they would not), would be...
  • "How did Philippe Beaudette determine Moellenberndt was the best candidate for the job?"
  • "How many applicants were interviewed for this position?"
  • "Why was multitasking on two projects considered too much for Beaudette?"
  • "Why is the head of Reader Relations (what I would interpret as a content area -- readers read content, don't they?) leading the 2010 fundraising campaign, anyway? Why wasn't someone with more responsibility for financial development like Moeller, or Exley, or Newstead, or Wadhwa, or Handler, or Crouse handling this?"
  • "What will Moellenberndt actually be doing for the WMF, in plain English?"
  • "If Moellenberndt is a non-notable, low-level WMF contractor/employee, why did Beaudette feel the need to announce her temporary hire to the public?"
  • "Why is it appropriate for Wikimedians to publicly document my activity on sites like Freelancer.com -- while prohibiting my response in their same forum; but it is inappropriate for me to publicly document a Wikimedian's activity on sites like Facebook.com -- even while welcoming and inviting them to respond? Why do I have to walk on eggshells?"

Okay, that last question is just a jab, but it does point to how ridiculous some of you are being about a 33-year-old adult's "helplessness" against my "dirt digging". Have any of you -- any single one -- contacted her to see what she would like done with my article?

But, the fact of the matter is that if the Wikimedia Foundation weren't so damn secretive about how they go about internal matters, none of these questions would even be of interest. Or, conversely, if they weren't so public about every minor new hire into a short-term position, it would also be of little interest. As it stands, about 100 unique visitors (so far) were interested enough in this story to open the page it's on, and Google's News reviewers accepted it into their feed as newsworthy. (I am told that is a human-reviewed process at Google.) If this weren't newsworthy, shouldn't Google News have rejected it the way they've rejected the majority of my Examiner stories?

QUOTE(Doc glasgow @ Tue 26th October 2010, 6:00pm) *

Well, congratulations, you just compared yourself with the worst of them and came our on bottom.

I offered my "opt out by subject of article" proposal. Where is Wikipedia's? I'm waiting to hear from Moellenberndt herself, thank you.
+Quote Post
Doc glasgow

QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 26th October 2010, 11:27pm) *

QUOTE(Doc glasgow @ Tue 26th October 2010, 6:00pm) *

I offered my "opt out by subject of article" proposal. Where is Wikipedia's? I'm waiting to hear from Moellenberndt herself, thank you.

Greg, have you any idea what a $*%%*$& £%^&"£ you look like now?

Words fail me.

To quote Alison (out of context) F*** you.

This post has been edited by Doc glasgow:
+Quote Post
TungstenCarbide

Allegedly shot down by stray Ukrainian missile

QUOTE(Alison @ Tue 26th October 2010, 8:43pm) *

well, since you brought it up, Alison, contributing to Encyclopedia Dramatica is orders of magnitude more sleazy than anything Greg has done, and being an administrator there is even worse. I'm sure, however, that if you put your mind to it you can figr' a way to thump you chest in self-righteousness, 'bout all the good you've done there.

But yes, I agree, Greg's latest article is a little on the petty side.
+Quote Post
Text

Why is it appropriate for Wikimedians to publicly document my activity on sites like Freelancer.com -- while prohibiting my response in their same forum; but it is inappropriate for me to publicly document a Wikimedian's activity on sites like Facebook.com -- even while welcoming and inviting them to respond? Why do I have to walk on eggshells

Don't stoop at their level! What has this newbie done anyway, other than being not adequately informed about the smoke of lies which permeates the organization?

Or if you want to stoop down at their level anyway, try to convince this Chris character that the organization is a scam and that she should look for something better. Show her some of the stuff about a certain person from High Pole City and the fact that he went to contact the offices in San Francisco, and that he could "contact" her at her university in San Jose while the foundation would do nothing to protect her. Make her THINK. Tough love (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(Doc glasgow @ Tue 26th October 2010, 6:32pm) *

Words fail me.

Doc, have you ever promoted or recommended or suggested one of my "good" Examiner articles to anyone, anywhere?
+Quote Post
Doc glasgow

QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 27th October 2010, 2:01am) *

Words fail me.

Doc, have you ever promoted or recommended or suggested one of my "good" Examiner articles to anyone, anywhere?

WTF?
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(Doc glasgow @ Tue 26th October 2010, 9:14pm) *

QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 27th October 2010, 2:01am) *

Words fail me.

WTF?

Just wondering if you're actually a friend of the cause, or whether you're just bitching and moaning about things.
+Quote Post
thekohser

...just some nobody who's recently stepped into an org she probably doesn't know all that well...

Wow, so you're calling her a "nobody" in her defense, and you're assuming she's so much of a nitwit that she wouldn't do any background research on the organization (or the boss) that's about to hire her for the next four months, even though she's getting her master's degree in Internet anthropology?

That is really streeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetching it, Alison.
+Quote Post
jayvdb

Member No.: 1,039

QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 27th October 2010, 2:20am) *

...just some nobody who's recently stepped into an org she probably doesn't know all that well...

Wow, so you're calling her a "nobody" in her defense, and you're assuming she's so much of a nitwit that she wouldn't do any background research on the organization (or the boss) that's about to hire her for the next four months, even though she's getting her master's degree in Internet anthropology?

That is really streeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetching it, Alison.

How is this relevant? Whether or not she has a good grasp on the WMF, she just started an extremely short contract while doing postgrad, and has done nothing to warrant any media attention, and it is inappropriate to run an indepth piece on a person without their permission or some strong message that hinges on that person. If your story was about 'too much info' on the Internet, your article has a sample size of one. If your story is 'WMF is OMGFBAD', she isn't your target, and shouldn't be the focus. Either way, she is just convenient, and this article only reflects badly on you.

Consider this: how does your article influence the subjects worldview, or the worldview of anyone in your target audience?
+Quote Post
MZMcBride

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 25th October 2010, 9:55pm) *
This thread is now the #5 result on a Google search for Christine Moellenberndt.
Can a mod move this to a non-indexed area, please?
+Quote Post
Zoloft

QUOTE(MZMcBride @ Tue 26th October 2010, 8:25pm) *

QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 25th October 2010, 9:55pm) *

I have no objection to that, or having my posts deleted.
+Quote Post
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 275

QUOTE(MZMcBride @ Tue 26th October 2010, 10:25pm) *

Does anyone know if the person in question, this Ms. Moellenberndt, has expressed a desire for that to happen? I honestly don't see what all the fuss is about - I agree that Greg here isn't doing much good for his (our?) cause by focusing on such a minor hire/employee, but that's his call and I'm not interested in trying to shame him over it. Besides, it looks like everything in the examiner.com article is legitimate.

Let's not overestimate the "impact" of a WR thread about someone who happens to have an unusual name, either. I mean, sure, it's conceivable that someone might read this thread as part of a future hiring process, but what's it going to prove? That she did, indeed, work for the WMF, and that she borrowed a lot of money for her education and has been having a tough time paying it all off in a down economy? For a lot of people, those would be reasons to give her a job, not refuse her one.

It's an accident of birth, but it sure looks to me like she's decided to take advantage of the unusual name to increase her visibility in the IT world, not hide from it. I doubt she's all that concerned about this thread, and she may even think it's amusing for all we know.
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(jayvdb @ Tue 26th October 2010, 10:51pm) *

...and has done nothing to warrant any media attention...

How did she get onto CNN.com, then?
+Quote Post
MZMcBride

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Somey @ Tue 26th October 2010, 11:47pm) *
It's an accident of birth, but it sure looks to me like she's decided to take advantage of the unusual name to increase her visibility in the IT world, not hide from it. I doubt she's all that concerned about this thread, and she may even think it's amusing for all we know.
She's taking it in stride, from what I understand.

Say, what's your real name, Somey?
+Quote Post
jayvdb

Member No.: 1,039

QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 27th October 2010, 4:32am) *

QUOTE(jayvdb @ Tue 26th October 2010, 10:51pm) *

...and has done nothing to warrant any media attention...

How did she get onto CNN.com, then?

By being interviewed, and it looks like she was selected by the reporter because she represented what the reporter considered to be an average person in that scenario.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(Somey @ Tue 26th October 2010, 8:47pm) *

It is a rather unusual name, even in German. This is a city of Mielno in Northwest Poland near the Baltic, that was formerly the German city of Groß Möllen (Big Mountain) until 1945. Möllen = Moellen means "Mountain". Berndt is short for Bernehardt and various variations, a German man's given name meaning "bear heart" or if you will, brave-heart. Goes back to the middle ages.

It's not hard to imagine a surname for a mountain-community person, or perhaps somebody from Groß Möllen, taking on a "Berndt" from somebody named that.

Her geneology, if she knows it, should be interesting. But hell, there's a story in everybody's geneology.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)