FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
This Is Your Education On Wikipedia -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> This Is Your Education On Wikipedia, Discussion Thread
Jon Awbrey

τὰ δέ μοι παθήματα μαθήματα γέγονε

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5,619

Discussion Thread for “This Is Your Education On Wikipedia”

I'm going to try separating the discussion from the main topic — just an experiment to see if it helps me keep my brains from getting too scrambled. Feel free to post on whichever thread you find most convenient — I can always sort stuff out afterward.

Jon Awbrey
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Jon Awbrey

When I first fell down the Wikipedia Rabid Hole, the Big Three Policies — WP:VER, WP:NPOV, WP:NOR — at least as written, and even as most educated adults interpreted them in practice, were still recognizable as not-too-idiosyncratic renditions of familiar norms of research, the ABCs of Accuracy, Balance, Confirmation.

Well, that was then — early 2006 or thereabouts — and some of you know what happened to make Wikipede Appallacy the unholy mess of hypocrisy that it is today.

The lyin's share of the warp was of course forced by SlimVirgin and her Cabal Of SlimVestal Interests.

But that whole sad tale makes me wik 'n' whirry, so maybe after Dinner and “Bones” …

Jon (IMG:http://wikipediareview.com/stimg9x0b4fsr2/1/folder_post_icons/icon9.gif)
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Thu 20th January 2011, 5:54pm) *

When I first fell down the Wikipedia Rabid Hole, the Big Three Policies — WP:VER, WP:NPOV, WP:NOR — at least as written, and even as most educated adults interpreted them in practice, were still recognizable as not-too-idiosyncratic renditions of familiar norms of research, the ABCs of Accuracy, Balance, Confirmation.

Well, that was then — early 2006 or thereabouts — and some of you know what happened to make Wikipede Appallacy the unholy mess of hypocrisy that it is today.

The lyin's share of the warp was of course forced by SlimVirgin and her Cabal Of SlimVestal Interests.

But that whole sad tale makes me wik 'n' whirry, so maybe after Dinner and “Bones” …

Jon (IMG:http://wikipediareview.com/stimg9x0b4fsr2/1/folder_post_icons/icon9.gif)

For those of you who just joined the program, I'll post a few links relating to the Warping of WP:NOR that started back in 2006. Some of the original pages were oversighted and others were moved out of sight, but here are the traces that I can still find.

Exhibit 1 • During the summer of 2006, SlimVirgin and her gang began an all-out assault to change the substance and interpretation of WP:NOR, especially its valuation of primary sources over secondary and tertiary sources. Naturally, they claimed that their POV was the one that had always been in place, and that the people who were trying to preserve the policy in its long-standing form were the ones who were trying to alter it. As a check on these claims, I began to collect datapoints from the history of WP:NOR and to cite them on the corresponding talk page. Longtime observers of Wikipedia will know what sort of monkey-business ensued by way of hiding any hint of real data and eliminating any editors who persisted in bringing it forth. My historical review got shoved to a subpage, the links to it deleted, and finally relegated to my user space — out of sight, out of mind — all against policy for talk page entries.

Exhibit 2 • Deletion Log record of a subsequent WP:NOR Discussion Subpage that SlimVirgin and Gang deleted but haven't yet oversighted.

A page with this title has previously been deleted.

If you are creating a new page with different content, please continue. If you are recreating a page similar to the previously deleted page, or are unsure, please first contact the deleting administrator using the information provided below.
  • 07:01, 18 November 2007 Jpgordon (talk | contribs) deleted "Wikipedia talk:No original research/Historical datapoints" ‎ (Fuck off, Awbrey.)
  • 17:36, 26 June 2007 SlimVirgin (talk | contribs) deleted "Wikipedia talk:No original research/Historical datapoints" ‎ (content was moved to subpage ages ago)
  • 21:51, 28 March 2007 Jayjg (talk | contribs) deleted "Wikipedia talk:No original research/Historical datapoints" ‎ (content was: '#REDIRECT User:Jon Awbrey/NOR historical datapoints' (and the only contributor was 'Jayjg'))
  • 21:51, 28 March 2007 Jayjg (talk | contribs) moved Wikipedia talk:No original research/Historical datapoints to User:Jon Awbrey/NOR historical datapoints ‎
  • 08:06, 8 February 2007 SlimVirgin (talk | contribs) deleted "Wikipedia talk:No original research/Historical datapoints" ‎ (content was: '#REDIRECT User:Jon Awbrey/NOR historical datapoints' (and the only contributor was 'SlimVirgin'))
  • 08:05, 8 February 2007 SlimVirgin (talk | contribs) moved Wikipedia talk:No original research/Historical datapoints to User:Jon Awbrey/NOR historical datapoints
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)