FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
A Personal appeal from Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A Personal appeal from Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales, More damned lies from a desperate man?
powercorrupts

Group: Contributors

Please read - A personal appeal from Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales

Please read this appeal from our founder and then donate to Wikimedia UK using the form opposite. Your donation will go towards supporting the global projects as well as activities in the UK.

I got a lot of funny looks ten years ago when I started talking to people about Wikipedia.

Let’s just say some of the business types were skeptical of the notion that volunteers from all across the world could come together to create a remarkable pool of human knowledge – all for the simple purpose of sharing.

No ads. No profits. No agenda.

A decade after its founding, more than 380 million people use Wikipedia and its sister sites every month - almost a third of the Internet-connected world.

It is the 5th most popular website in the world. The other four have been built and maintained with billions of dollars in investment, huge corporate staffs and relentless marketing.

But, Wikipedia isn’t anything like a commercial website. It is a community creation, written by volunteers making one entry at a time. You are part of our community. And I’m writing today to ask you to protect and sustain Wikipedia.

Together, we can keep it free of charge and free of advertising. We can keep it open – you can use the information in Wikipedia any way you want. We can keep it growing – spreading knowledge everywhere, and inviting participation from everyone.

Each year at this time, we reach out to ask you and others all across the Wikimedia community to help sustain our joint enterprise with a modest donation of $20, $35, $50 or more.

If you value Wikipedia as a source of information – and a source of inspiration – I hope you’ll choose to act right now.

All the best,

Jimmy Wales

Founder, Wikipedia

P.S. Wikipedia is about the power of people like us to do extraordinary things. People like us write Wikipedia, one word at a time. People like us fund it, one donation at a time. It's proof of our collective potential to change the world.

Wikimedia UK is the operating name of Wiki UK Limited.
Wiki UK Ltd is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England and Wales, Registered No. 6741827.
The Registered Office is at 23 Cartwright Way, Nottingham, NG9 1RL, United Kingdom

I can't quite believe he's simply going for the cash this time (and didn't we have a donation push just a while back?) - unless he's worried about someone pulling a plug somewhere. This partly looks like a propaganda campaign to me. Either way, I reckon he's a worried man. He must know the flak he will get. I mean, apart from all the bullshit, asking for £100, £50, £30 or £20? Pound sterling for Christ's sake? Has he been over here lately? And "If you value Wikipedia as a source of information – and a source of inspiration – I hope you’ll choose to act right now." - it's a bit damn pushy.

And what are the "activities in the.. UK"? The bloody dodgy-as-Hell nationalistic 'Chapters', that's what. "It's proof of our collective potential to change the world."

This post has been edited by powercorrupts:
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
thekohser

Group: Regulars

QUOTE(powercorrupts @ Fri 12th November 2010, 12:31pm) *

I can't quite believe he's simply going for the cash this time (and didn't we have a donation push just a while back?)

You must be new to Wikipedia. There was indeed a donation push a while back -- one year ago. And the year before that. And the one before that.

It started a couple of weeks early this year, I think. But nothing really earthshattering to see this now. Really, I view it as the standard fare. Why do you seem so perplexed about it?
+Quote Post
powercorrupts

QUOTE(thekohser @ Fri 12th November 2010, 6:01pm) *

QUOTE(powercorrupts @ Fri 12th November 2010, 12:31pm) *

I can't quite believe he's simply going for the cash this time (and didn't we have a donation push just a while back?)

You must be new to Wikipedia. There was indeed a donation push a while back -- one year ago. And the year before that. And the one before that.

It started a couple of weeks early this year, I think. But nothing really earthshattering to see this now. Really, I view it as the standard fare. Why do you seem so perplexed about it?

The size of the Watchlist advert caught my eye initially - it's huge. And the photoshoot I suppose. And of course the 'Big Project' language - though I haven't perhaps examined all that to quite such a degree in previous pushes (I've been on and off WP for a few years). I can't ever remembering him ask for a hundred quid for sure - even when it wasn't such a rude sum to people. He may as well ask for a grand right now over here they way people are feeling right now. The Conservative Party HQ in London was bust into and taken over by students the other day. Why's he aiming so high? It's interesting that the dollar amounts in his text are a fraction of the sterling figures in the UK donation box. But is clueless when it comes to the UK anyway, I'll concede that.

You say it started earlier this year - is it more of a sustained one this year, or has he suddenly decided to up the anti mid-campaign? It looks to me like he's suddenly changed tack and gone for a bigger hit. Perhaps that creased blue shirt is telling after all?

+Quote Post
NuclearWarfare

QUOTE(powercorrupts @ Fri 12th November 2010, 6:27pm) *
You say it started earlier this year - is it more of a sustained one this year, or has he suddenly decided to up the anti mid-campaign? It looks to me like he's suddenly changed tack and gone for a bigger hit.

The Foundation's plan is to go for $16 million this time around, up from $10.6 million last year, $7.4 million the year before that, and $4.6 million the year before that. This isn't exactly hugely groundbreaking news.

As far as size of banner ads go, this doesn't look that much bigger than usual. Perhaps it is the increased use of images, or using the Jimmy banner ads earlier? In years past, they haven't run the Jimmy banner ad + letter until later in the fundraising drive, even though it generally does much better than any other banner. Perhaps they are trying a different tactic this year, now that they are aiming for a ~50% increase in revenue?
+Quote Post
victim of censorship

Not all thugs are Wikipediots, but all Wikipediots are thugs.

Member No.: 9,640

QUOTE(NuclearWarfare @ Fri 12th November 2010, 2:28pm) *

You say it started earlier this year - is it more of a sustained one this year, or has he suddenly decided to up the anti mid-campaign? It looks to me like he's suddenly changed tack and gone for a bigger hit.

The Foundation's plan is to go for $16 million this time around, up from $10.6 million last year, $7.4 million the year before that, and $4.6 million the year before that. This isn't exactly hugely groundbreaking news.

As far as size of banner ads go, this doesn't look that much bigger than usual. Perhaps it is the increased use of images, or using the Jimmy banner ads earlier? In years past, they haven't run the Jimmy banner ad + letter until later in the fundraising drive, even though it generally does much better than any other banner. Perhaps they are trying a different tactic this year, now that they are aiming for a ~50% increase in revenue?

The more money they collect, the more attractive Wiki media org is to sue and the more likely Wiki media org will be sued.

This post has been edited by victim of censorship:
+Quote Post
NuclearWarfare

QUOTE(victim of censorship @ Fri 12th November 2010, 8:41pm) *
The money they collect, the more attractive Wiki media org is to sue and the more likely Wiki media org will be sued.

Probably true.

Just out of curiosity, the money the WMF has on hand at any given time ranges from what to what, 2 to 10 million? More? Less?
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(NuclearWarfare @ Fri 12th November 2010, 1:28pm) *

If YOU were constructing a Banner Ad, would you have nothing but some background and Jimbo's beautific face on it? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/blink.gif)

How about a line or two of text meant to hook the reader and drive them to click on the thing to read the rest and see what it says?

When several years ago the Wikipedia Foundation found that its new Chief Operating Officer had just been arrested again for a drunk driving offence that wasn't her first, and that she'd used her foundation credit card without permission to make bail on a weekend before hurredly paying the money back, we were concerned. Also, she violated a previous parole by going to Wikimedia in Europe. As The Sole Founder of Wikipedia, I had moral concerns that ranged across the project, particularly as people were trying to get this information into her biography on Wikipedia. It was all a matter of integrity. What would I do?

[Click for a personal donation appeal from Jimmy Wales...]

Damn, that would reel 'em in. I could write this stuff for them. But would they ask me? Nah. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/hrmph.gif)
+Quote Post
powercorrupts

QUOTE(NuclearWarfare @ Fri 12th November 2010, 8:28pm) *

But why do they need such an increase? Don't they have a tidy nest egg anyway? What they are asking for from the UK is crazy money right now (and a lot anyway - do the dollar conversion). There is the philosophy of aiming high, but it looks ignorant, greedy, and frankly, needy.

There's no question the adverts have got slicker this year - I wish I could copy the adds and post them here. I've seen 3 now - the blue-eyed 'trust me' close-up, the casual bank manager in the bright blue shirt, and the down an dirty 'loading bay' style snap (still posey and casual). They are tall adds to get those images in. It's a politician's slickness, and I've not seen him go for the personality cult so obviously before.

These are as slick as car ads.

+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

τὰ δέ μοι παθήματα μαθήματα γέγονε

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5,619

More surprisingly — why does someone going under the moniker of “powercorrupts” even have to ask these questions?

Jon (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)
+Quote Post
Eva Destruction

Fat Cat

QUOTE(powercorrupts @ Fri 12th November 2010, 10:27pm) *

There's no question the adverts have got slicker this year - I wish I could copy the adds and post them here. I've seen 3 now - the blue-eyed 'trust me' close-up, the casual bank manager in the bright blue shirt, and the down an dirty 'loading bay' style snap (still posey and casual). They are tall adds to get those images in. It's a politician's slickness, and I've not seen him go for the personality cult so obviously before.

The full set to be used in this campaign are here. I agree that compared to the risible Wikipedia Forever! drive last year, this is at a whole new level.
+Quote Post
powercorrupts

QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Fri 12th November 2010, 9:34pm) *

QUOTE(powercorrupts @ Fri 12th November 2010, 10:27pm) *

The full set to be used in this campaign are here. I agree that compared to the risible Wikipedia Forever! drive last year, this is at a whole new level.

None of them are in those 39 - believe it or not, they are even slicker than those. I'll see if I can do a screen grab and host them on that site (I've forgotten which it is now). I'm guessing that these are just targetting the UK at the moment.

+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

Bring back the guttersnipes!

Member No.: 6,696

Nah, the fundraiser is on worldwide, they just have national-specific message depending on where your IP geolocates to. I've already been glurged two or three times by the handful of Wikifaithful I still allow to remain on my Facebook friends list.

It looks like Jimmy may yet get his castle.
+Quote Post
tarantino

the Dude abides

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Fri 12th November 2010, 9:44pm) *

Nah, the fundraiser is on worldwide, they just have national-specific message depending on where your IP geolocates to. I've already been glurged two or three times by the handful of Wikifaithful I still allow to remain on my Facebook friends list.

I just tried it through Germany, the UK and the US.
The banner was turned off in the UK.

They're using http://geoiplookup.wikimedia.org/ to determine your location. Clicking on that link will return your supposed city, country, latitude, longitude, IP address and netmask.

If you want to get rid of the banner, block
meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:BannerLoader*

+Quote Post
powercorrupts

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Fri 12th November 2010, 9:44pm) *

So what kind of money are they asking from the US? Does it start around $160 USD?

+Quote Post
NuclearWarfare

But why do they need such an increase? Don't they have a tidy nest egg anyway?

Hell if I know. Server space costs, I think about 30% of the WMF's annual budget these days. Greg Kohs could probably tell you more.

QUOTE(powercorrupts @ Fri 12th November 2010, 10:20pm) *
So what kind of money are they asking from the US? Does it start around $160 USD?

Same as for you, except in dollars. The money might be funneled through Wikimedia UK, and I think they get a cut for their GLAM Wiki events and suh.
+Quote Post
powercorrupts

(IMG:http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1372/5170649972_0f898fe0bb.jpg)

(IMG:http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4147/5170649624_e20e5092fa.jpg)

(IMG:http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1381/5170047855_f16506754e.jpg)

+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

Bring back the guttersnipes!

Member No.: 6,696

QUOTE(powercorrupts @ Fri 12th November 2010, 4:20pm) *
I've no idea. I don't read their twaddle.
+Quote Post
NuclearWarfare

QUOTE(powercorrupts @ Fri 12th November 2010, 11:48pm) *
<images>

Is that a very old version of Firefox, or just some strange skin?
+Quote Post
NuclearWarfare

QUOTE(NuclearWarfare @ Fri 12th November 2010, 10:37pm) *

Hell if I know. Server space costs, I think about 30% of the WMF's annual budget these days. Greg Kohs could probably tell you more.

I was wrong. Here is the WMF's budget plan for July 2010-June 2011.
+Quote Post
tarantino

the Dude abides

Can the banners be shrunk any?

I don't want to hide this year's banners, but they are so large they are pushing all the content further down the page so that it takes a conscious scrolling effort to get to the stuff I actually want to read. Perhaps it is the point for them to be so large, but could the banners be just a tad smaller? Lexicografía 00:22, 13 November 2010 (UTC)

The banners will be smaller as we get a little closer to our goal. I recognize that they are large, but we have an ambitious goal to reach! --Deniz (WMF) 00:29, 13 November 2010 (UTC)

Thanks for the explanation, Deniz Gültekin! In honor of your effort, I propose that your CC licensed photograph be adorned with one thousand white penises from the collection at commons and be distributed randomly about the internet.
+Quote Post
TungstenCarbide

Allegedly shot down by stray Ukrainian missile

The banners will be smaller as we get a little closer to our goal. I recognize that they are large, but we have an ambitious goal to reach! --Deniz (WMF) 00:29, 13 November 2010 (UTC)

+Quote Post
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 275

If any post ever deserved to be featured on the top of the home page, it's that one.

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
powercorrupts

QUOTE(NuclearWarfare @ Sat 13th November 2010, 1:25am) *

<images>

It's the latest Firefox without a skin. I think they expect you to use one these days.
+Quote Post
Peter Damian

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

The plan is here

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/foun...FOR_WEBSITE.pdf

It's important to concentrate on the absolute numbers rather than percentages, as percentages disguise the high level of dollar increases. The main increases are on slide 30.

There is an increase of $3.8m to fund a new datacentre. $2.6m for 'other staffing and stakeholder database' - what on earth is this? $1.3m for 'additional office space and support staff'. $1.1m for 'community outreach' - mostly travel expense. A million dollars for travel expenses? $400k for 'chapter development'. Chapters are essentially organisations of cultists in different countries.

Why are people donating money for this? How is this going to bring the sum of human knowledge to everyone on the planet? Why don't they spend some money on correcting the distortions and errors in their encyclopedia?

There's another page of this but I gave up. Page 44 has the total breakdown - is there any way of copying tables onto this site? For 91 staff the total salary of about $9m comes to about $100k per staff. Does US salary cost include employer contributions to pension, health and tax? Typically you would have to subtract 10-20% to get the actual salary received. And the average tells us nothing about the distribution. What was the lowest paid? What was the highest?

Note this does not include $2m on 'exernal contractors'. Developers? Consultants?

This post has been edited by Peter Damian:
+Quote Post
SB_Johnny

It wasn't me who made honky-tonk angels

QUOTE(NuclearWarfare @ Fri 12th November 2010, 9:18pm) *

QUOTE(NuclearWarfare @ Fri 12th November 2010, 10:37pm) *

I was wrong. Here is the WMF's budget plan for July 2010-June 2011.

Does "technology" only mean server space, or does it include Jimbo's smartphone? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
thekohser

Just to clear up about the earlier concern about how much money the donation pages "suggested" you contribute... those were being varied, to test which brought in the best take-rate by average amount donated. (Imagine that, they actually implemented some optimization research.)

Rand Montoya should have been doing that last year. Then he left the WMF. If you read between the lines, you can tell that they weren't so pleased with Rand's performance.
+Quote Post
Obesity

I taste as good as skinny feels.

Member No.: 6,909

QUOTE(powercorrupts @ Fri 12th November 2010, 6:48pm) *

LOLOLOL WUTS WITH THE PICTURE OF RLEVSE??????????

I THOT HE TOOK ALL HIS DOX DOWN????????

UR BAD!

QUOTE(tarantino @ Sat 13th November 2010, 12:04am) *

Can the banners be shrunk any?

I don't want to hide this year's banners, but they are so large they are pushing all the content further down the page so that it takes a conscious scrolling effort to get to the stuff I actually want to read. Perhaps it is the point for them to be so large, but could the banners be just a tad smaller? Lexicografía 00:22, 13 November 2010 (UTC)

Thanks for the explanation, Deniz Gültekin! In honor of your effort, I propose that your CC licensed photograph be adorned with one thousand white penises from the collection at commons and be distributed randomly about the internet.

she is not very hot and, unfortunately for her, i do not wish to date her. i like that other lady with the red hair, i forget her name, but she is married to some creep from australia
+Quote Post
powercorrupts

QUOTE(Peter Damian @ Sat 13th November 2010, 12:15pm) *

The plan is here

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/foun...FOR_WEBSITE.pdf

It's important to concentrate on the absolute numbers rather than percentages, as percentages disguise the high level of dollar increases. The main increases are on slide 30.

There is an increase of $3.8m to fund a new datacentre. $2.6m for 'other staffing and stakeholder database' - what on earth is this? $1.3m for 'additional office space and support staff'. $1.1m for 'community outreach' - mostly travel expense. A million dollars for travel expenses? $400k for 'chapter development'. Chapters are essentially organisations of cultists in different countries.

Why are people donating money for this? How is this going to bring the sum of human knowledge to everyone on the planet? Why don't they spend some money on correcting the distortions and errors in their encyclopedia?

There's another page of this but I gave up. Page 44 has the total breakdown - is there any way of copying tables onto this site? For 91 staff the total salary of about $9m comes to about $100k per staff. Does US salary cost include employer contributions to pension, health and tax? Typically you would have to subtract 10-20% to get the actual salary received. And the average tells us nothing about the distribution. What was the lowest paid? What was the highest?

Note this does not include $2m on 'exernal contractors'. Developers? Consultants?

(IMG:http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4125/5171281907_f949e96cda.jpg)

(IMG:http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4132/5173064080_77f0eaf6b6.jpg)

(IMG:http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4128/5173064240_1f2d033073.jpg)

(IMG:http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4090/5172460925_f3898cb2fc_b.jpg)

Who ever heard of a Total given as a division of 1,000, honestly. They must be embarrassed by their (predicted) riches.
+Quote Post
anthony

Postmaster

QUOTE(powercorrupts @ Sat 13th November 2010, 10:08pm) *

Who ever heard of a Total given as a division of 1,000, honestly.

*raises hand*
+Quote Post
powercorrupts

QUOTE(Obesity @ Sat 13th November 2010, 3:21pm) *

LOLOLOL WUTS WITH THE PICTURE OF RLEVSE??????????

I THOT HE TOOK ALL HIS DOX DOWN????????

UR BAD!

Picture re-used, with a special thanks to Rlevse.

(IMG:http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4128/5172540081_d5c528b1ea.jpg)

Is that you in the middle?
+Quote Post
Gruntled

Quite an unusual member

Group: On Vacation

QUOTE(Obesity @ Sat 13th November 2010, 3:21pm) *

she is not very hot and, unfortunately for her, i do not wish to date her

Oh! Someone hide this quick before the poor girl sees it and dies of a broken heart or something!
i like that other lady with the red hair

This gets worse. We have a Moulton sympathiser. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ohmy.gif)

This post has been edited by Gruntled:
+Quote Post
The Wordsmith

Neophyte

I'll just leave these here...

(IMG:http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4113/5183657226_a03107fba7_m.jpg)

(IMG:http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1285/5183058819_2c826ab805_m.jpg)
+Quote Post
powercorrupts

Is he asking for different money from different places?

I hope he isn't just changing the monetary symbols. I read somewhere he wants $150, $50, $20 etc (same as sterling). Those figures aint the same in UK money.
+Quote Post
SB_Johnny

It wasn't me who made honky-tonk angels

QUOTE(powercorrupts @ Wed 17th November 2010, 6:56am) *

Is he asking for different money from different places?

I hope he isn't just changing the monetary symbols. I read somewhere he wants $150, $50, $20 etc (same as sterling). Those figures aint the same in UK money.

Maybe we should all donate 20 yen. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Crestatus

QUOTE(tarantino @ Fri 12th November 2010, 6:19pm) *

They're using http://geoiplookup.wikimedia.org/ to determine your location. Clicking on that link will return your supposed city, country, latitude, longitude, IP address and netmask.

They have me 4.4 miles away from where I actually am, in the next city over. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
powercorrupts

Campaign stage three, I think, of the extra push;

(IMG:http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5002/5191473317_6115599952.jpg)

(IMG:http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4130/5191472559_66ec640e3a_m.jpg)

(IMG:http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5121/5191481247_549bbd2cc6.jpg)

+Quote Post
A User

Jimmy Wales appeal is now an iTunes download:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/jimmy-wal...&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

+Quote Post
CharlotteWebb

Postmaster General

<images>

Yeah, I think it's called Vector. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/sick.gif)
+Quote Post
powercorrupts

QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Sat 27th November 2010, 10:18am) *

<images>

Yeah, I think it's called Vector. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/sick.gif)

I don't want people seeing my backdrop thank you very much.
+Quote Post
thekohser

Cute video -- but even better commentary at the end... and in his Comments box.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)