FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Free Association Can Be Therapeutic -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Free Association Can Be Therapeutic, I Just Ain't Being Paid Enuff To Listen To It
Rating  1
Jon Awbrey

τὰ δέ μοι παθήματα μαθήματα γέγονε

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5,619

Yet Another Thread For Collecting Mal-Assorted Off-Topic Posts

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

Group: Contributors
Member No.: 3,670

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Tue 17th March 2009, 8:20am) *
There are lots of online journals, many of them free, and there is nothing about moving to a new medium that forced any of them to start using Phony Name Authors with Multiple Personality Disorders or ArbClowns instead of Editors. Those debasements of accountability are bad habits that Wikipedia imported from Usenet and Chatville in general.

The new medium isn't so much a substitution of bits-in-motion for ink as a substitution of dramatic dialogue for the traditional impersonal prose essay.

Notwithstanding the fursuited critters in Aesop's Fables, dramatic storycraft didn't emerge and evolve from scriptural histories and Greek mythologies to imaginative scriptwriting until the middle of the Second Millenium.

As soon as an author of fantasy fiction sets up shop, he or she is gonna need a cast of curious characters to enact whatever dramaturgical storyline the author has in mind.

What better way to devise bumblefuck storybook characters than to don a costume and play one in a conveniently available dramaturgy workshop (such as a WP discussion page, a forum thread, or the comment section of a blog article).

This post has been edited by Moulton:
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

The Absurd does not a Theatre make —
Of Reason bereft, at any rate —
Or else Bush and Brecht in a single breath
All the world would celebrate.

Jon Awbrey
Saint Patrick's Day, 2009
+Quote Post
emesee

ban me

Group: Tanked
Member No.: 8,586

CENSORED (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/wub.gif)

This post has been edited by emesee:
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

Group: Regulars

Tony Sheridan with the Beatles — Ya Ya

Git yer, git yer, ya ya here. I guess this would not be "mocha chocolate ya-ya," but more like "cappuchino latte ya-ya."

It's amazing how much Sheridan sounds like Elvis. Buddy Holly could sound like an Elvis impersonater, too and often did (he was only about year younger and knew Elvis reasonably well). And the Beatles held Holly and Presley in high regard.

What a great old track. What is it-- Hamburg 1961 or 62? It makes me feel sorry for so many vocals on today's American Idol-- no wonder I can't listen to it. And the live-backup here, without mixing or dubbing or any benefit but amplification, is smooth and perfectly professional. Another reminder that the Beatles, like everybody else, didn't just "come out of nowhere." They'd been in Germany, practicing their butts off in live performances, for years and years.
+Quote Post
CharlotteWebb

Postmaster General

+Quote Post
Push the button

Oh the irony :

Workspace
Nothing To See Here … Move Along …

Views : 5,556
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

QUOTE(Push the button @ Sun 24th May 2009, 2:35pm) *

Oh the irony :

Workspace
Nothing To See Here … Move Along …

Views : 5,556

Well, they couldn't read fully what kind of thing it was till they'd gone there to see what the hell kind of a thing it WAS. And there really was nothing to see, they were told to move along, and so they found that out, and moved along, but were counted as viewers anyway.

Where's the irony? That's not irony so much as playing your audience for suckers. Since we all know when the cops tell you there's nothing to see, move along, it's code that there's indeed often something interesting to see, which is WHY they're tellilng you to move along, so you don't block things while trying to see it. Even if it said "nothing to see, don't click" in the thread header, and yet gotten that many viewers, I'm not sure wourld have qualified even there, since the whole damn thing is curious enough to examine to see if there's some deception, even if you DO understand the general purposes, from a header. Which you're not likely to.... (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/unhappy.gif)

Afterall, we're discussing something interesting here, are we not?
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

Member No.: 3,670

Veni. Vidi. Valki.

I came. I saw. I left.
+Quote Post
sbrown

Group: Inactive

Brillyant a symbol of wikipeida itself. Isnt that a huge pile of something thats not worth seeing passon by dont look?

Full marks to awbrey for starting the thread.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

QUOTE(Moulton @ Mon 25th May 2009, 7:37am) *

Veni. Vidi. Valki.

I came. I saw. I left.

Veni. Vidi. Volvi.
Veni. Vidi. Volari.

What was that rubber doll Tarantino was going to send?

Veni. Vidi. Volupti. Voluptuosi....
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Mon 21st December 2009, 10:14am) *

Miltown Row obviously x-hibits a lot of Oedipal Rebellion (ΨΑ : OR) — you might well ask WHY he wants his Emperors nude

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif) Oedipal rebellion is one psychobabble term for people who refuse to kiss up to shrinks. Yes, it's defiance disorder-- the guy won't do what I say! It's also a term for people who spend their lives as subversives, never satisfied with the status quo (see leftist, but also to some extent, libertarian). The difference being that leftists see Goverment (usually a sort they don't have yet) as mummy and daddy. TungstenCarbide being a recent example here on the forum. Rightists see religious authority in that role, and libertarians are often just stone-cold unbelievers in any authority save that conferred by superior understanding of nature (ability to predict the future-- see "science"). Leave rocket science to rocket scientists, IOW.

And I don't want my emperors nude. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/yecch.gif) It's just an observation that we're all created that way and to some extent, remain that way. Including them. Some of us humans figure that out, and some never do.

(IMG:http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll191/Shrlocc/Creation_of_jimbo.jpg)
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

Speaking of shrinx, please put imgx tags on your imago or I'll have to move you to the isolation bin.

'Cause y'know … Me and Woody …

Jon (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Mon 21st December 2009, 11:08am) *

Speaking of shrinx, please put imgx tags on your imago or I'll have to move you to the isolation bin.

Do you mean REMOVE imgx tags? FYI, there aren't any. This is just plain img. Of course, being as how this boardware is so screwed up in that dept, you can't verify that, can you? Well, just take my word for it. Or, if you're a skeptic, repost that photo with your own img and show me how it SHOULD be done. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)

MR

PS: To quote Futurama, haven't you ever seen a genius' weener? Outside a park, I mean?

PPS: it's not my image, but is off COMMONS. Google-image "Creation of Jimbo"

PPPS: Are you frickin' SERIOUSLY suggesting we censor Michaelangelo? You'll never live that down.
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Mon 21st December 2009, 1:43pm) *

Do you mean REMOVE imgx tags? FYI, there aren't any. This is just plain img. Of course, being as how this boardware is so screwed up in tha dept, you can't verify that, can you? Well, just take my word for it. Or, if you're a skeptic, repost that photo with your own img and show me how it SHOULD be done. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)

MR

PS: To quote Futurama, haven't you ever seen a genius' weener? Outside a park, I mean?

No, the imgx tags will adjust it to my local page size, either larger or smaller.

P.S. I think that's spelled Wiener, Norbert.

Jon (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Mon 21st December 2009, 11:50am) *

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Mon 21st December 2009, 1:43pm) *

Do you mean REMOVE imgx tags? FYI, there aren't any. This is just plain img. Of course, being as how this boardware is so screwed up in tha dept, you can't verify that, can you? Well, just take my word for it. Or, if you're a skeptic, repost that photo with your own img and show me how it SHOULD be done. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)

MR

No, the imgx tags will adjust it to my local page size, either larger or smaller.

P.S. I think that's spelled Wiener, Norbert.

Jon (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/blink.gif)

Well, you learn something new everyday. I added it, and it seems to help, a little. Not much.

Meh, I thought Weiner was only for Viennese cybernetic organisms from the future.
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Mon 21st December 2009, 2:34pm) *

Well, you learn something new everyday. I added it, and it seems to help, a little. Not much.

Meh, I thought Weiner was only for Viennese cybernetic organisms from the future.

It's one of those Leibnizian Monad type things — not that a Windowless World is all that much a BADIDEE …

But you really got SEX on the brain today, dontcha ???

But Wiener is pronounced Veener, while Weiner is pronounced Viner, unless it's angli-sized to Whiner.

+Quote Post
Milton Roe

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Mon 21st December 2009, 12:50pm) *

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Mon 21st December 2009, 2:34pm) *

It's one of those Leibnizian Monad type things — not that a Windowless World is all that much a BADIDEE …

But you really got SEX on the brain today, dontcha ???

But Wiener is pronounced Veener, while Weiner is pronounced Viner, unless it's angli-sized to Whiner.

That was a typo, as I (had) no idea who Jennifer Weiner was. I do know that in German when two vowels go walking the second does the talking. And anyway, Wiener is the one that means Viennese. I dunno what Weiner means. Whiner, maybe (no, not a joke). Or a corruption, done by people with teh same typing transposition problems I have.
+Quote Post
Trick cyclist

Fortunately Denmark palmed Norway off to Sweden in 1814

Group: Inactive

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Mon 21st December 2009, 8:03pm) *

I dunno what Weiner means.

Wine merchant.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

QUOTE(Trick cyclist @ Mon 21st December 2009, 3:36pm) *

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Mon 21st December 2009, 8:03pm) *

I dunno what Weiner means.

Wine merchant.

Good. Yep, sure enough-- in Yiddish, not in German.

In German a wine grower or maker is Der Winzer or Die Weinzerin. Or the end-producer Die Kellerei (literally the cellerer, I think). Perhaps Jews couldn't grow or make the stuff because they couldn't own land, and thus had to be specialized retailers. I don't know if there is a HochDeutsch word specifically for that. Certainly standard German for wine is Wein, but "Weiner" doesn't translate.

There is a claim also on Wikipedia that in old German "Weiner" is derived from the same noun as "wright," a worker (as in wheelwright, cartwright, wainwright).
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)