FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
AE admins set a new record for stupidity -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> AE admins set a new record for stupidity
radek

Ãœber Member

Group: Regulars

The subject itself is a bit parochial, but it does illustrate the incompetent workings of the Wikipedia admin bureaucracy and the sham that the whole "Arbitration Enforcement" and "discretionary sanctions" regime is. It's also of the "beat your head against the wall with incredulity" kind.

So the article is "Mass Killings Under Communism". Whatever you or I think about the article itself is beside the point here (honestly, I don't care about the article at this point one way or another). The thing is that the article has been contentious ever since I can remember. The exact people involved have changed but it's same ol' same ol'. As a result the article is on a 1R restriction (which is reasonable).

Anyway, so two editors, Tentontunic, and The Four Deuces were editing warring over a POV tag. TFD filed an AE request on Tentontunic for 1RR violation (standard tactic, when there's "discretionary sanctions" around as a weapon). Tentontunic pointed out that TFD did the same thing. Sounds pretty standard, right?

But what the geniuses at AE decided is that Tentontunic and TFD be let of without any kind of sanction, but that instead any editor who has ever been part of a Eastern Europe related ArbCom case (Digwuren, EEML, RB) is topic banned from the article. You know, to stop the perennial problems at the article.

Here's the thing. Aside from TFD, (and one other possible minor exception), NO EDITORS from these ArbCom cases have edited the article at ALL in the past six months, if not a year, if at all.

So the two culprits are let off with nary a warning while a whole bunch of people who don't have crap to do with this mess are all of sudden under sanction, courtesy of Sandstein, Ed Johnson, AGK and T. Canens. You'd think at least one of those four wouldn't be too lazy to actually click on the article's revision history and think about it for a second.

Of course, since most of the editors now sanctioned don't edit the article anyway, maybe the practical implications are small, in this narrow sense. Still even if you don't care about the principle, and fairness, here, then just consider the fact that these guys seriously believe that banning editors from an article that the editors don't edit will somehow solve the problems on the articles. You know, with pixie dust or something.

Of course the practical implications in a broad sense are more severe - stupid decisions like this one become the standard operating procedure on Wikipedia, they are unquestioned, they implicitly transfer power to a group of self appointed ... trying to think of an adjective here that is not too harsh yet appropriate and can't think of one, oh well at least I tried ... creeps (who don't even do much article/content writing themselves) and generally foster the prevailing atmosphere of admin incompetence combined with hubris.

Here's exchange at Sandstein's talk page. Here's article's revision history.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
SB_Johnny

It wasn't me who made honky-tonk angels

Just out of curiousity, are "AE admins" appointed by the committee, or is it more of a bring your hammer and find some nails sort of thing?
+Quote Post
Eva Destruction

Fat Cat

QUOTE(SB_Johnny @ Mon 21st February 2011, 9:47pm) *

Just out of curiousity, are "AE admins" appointed by the committee, or is it more of a bring your hammer and find some nails sort of thing?

No, it's an "anyone who wants to turn up" deal. There isn't really another way to work it, that I can see. All AE does (if it worked properly) is enforce rules which are already in place, so RFA is the 'selection process'—some admins choose to delete spam pages, some choose to patrol copyright violations, some choose to enforce the Glorious Will Of The Dear Leaders.
+Quote Post
SB_Johnny

It wasn't me who made honky-tonk angels

QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Mon 21st February 2011, 5:00pm) *

No, it's an "anyone who wants to turn up" deal. There isn't really another way to work it, that I can see. All AE does (if it worked properly) is enforce rules which are already in place, so RFA is the 'selection process'—some admins choose to delete spam pages, some choose to patrol copyright violations, some choose to enforce the Glorious Will Of The Dear Leaders.

OK. I thought maybe it was some sort of guild or something.
+Quote Post
Zoloft

May we all find solace in our dreams.

Member No.: 16,621

QUOTE(SB_Johnny @ Mon 21st February 2011, 3:56pm) *

*sings*
"We represent the Lollipop Guild
The Lollipop Guild, the Lollipop Guild.
And in the name of the Lollipop Guild
We wish to welcome you to Munchkin Land

We welcome you to Munchkin Land
Tra la la la la la la la la la la la

From now on you'll be history."
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(Zoloft @ Mon 21st February 2011, 7:25pm) *

QUOTE(SB_Johnny @ Mon 21st February 2011, 3:56pm) *

*sings*
"We represent the Lollipop Guild
The Lollipop Guild, the Lollipop Guild.
And in the name of the Lollipop Guild
We wish to welcome you to Munchkin Land

We welcome you to Munchkin Land
Tra la la la la la la la la la la la

From now on you'll be history."

Queue Abd to do the Lullaby League. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/happy.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/sleep.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)