FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Perceiving Perception -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Perceiving Perception, The Moat Around The Fly's Eye
Cock-up-over-conspiracy

Now censored by flckr.com and who else ... ???

Group: Regulars

Has this been discussed? A rough sketch only. Perceiving perception ... Looking thru Wikipedian's eyes. How does and how can your average Wikipedian see the world they are in?

Every now and again, I stop and ask myself what on earth is such and such Wikipedian thinking. Their actions, on the rare ocassion when they are not just completely dishonest and connivingly in support of whatever POV or territory they are fighting over, make me ask, "how on earth could anyone see/think/do that?".

This quickly brings me to ask how do we in general perceive the world, or our community, around us?

Human limitations

Human beings have limited capacities. Some moreso than others. Sometimes greater at one time in our lives than others. But our genes (nature) and our societal conditioning (nurture) limit us into seeing the world in one way or another, e.g. youth sees the world one way, age another; those under stress one way, those experiencing comfort and security another.

How many people are aware of their limits or way of perceiving the world?

Bona fide publishing and academia has procedure, checks and balances in place to try as much as possible to avoid blind spots, prejudices, personal limitations. The Wikipedia has mob conflict and admin persecution. Academia, at least in the old days, attempts to encourage a broadening of perceptions.

Ability to perceive scale

Most people are conditioned to think on a family/tribal scale. They can feel and understand the loss of an individual, e.g. child, or even a village, e.g. a bus/plane crash, but when the scale of loss rises above a certain point, e.g. 100,000 versus 600,000 Iraqis during the US led campaign, the Holocaust, really the individual loses the ability to conceive of what the scale of suffering is. There are not 'bad'. It is literally beyond them/us. Perhaps they switch and conceive in another simple binary mode, my tribe/another tribe, the Nazis/the Jews etc. The number returns to a 1 again. I have never studied this but it seems to be bigger numbers are not perceived. A 100,000 or a million also becomes a 1 again. 2.4 million versus 6 becomes 2.4 versus 6. Most individuals cannot conceive of such big numbers.

Tendency to fixate

We all have a tendency to fixate whether we realise it or not. It arises as confirmation bias, a tendency to favor information that confirms their preconceptions or prejudices and applies not just to facts but also people. We also have a tendency, attached to the above, to fixate on a certain or a certain amount of other individuals and their work.

To this we could also add psychological tendencies like projection and other defense mechanisms.

Psychopaths

Obviously, we all also exist on the 'psychopathic scale' to some extent or another, defining psychopath as someone completely incapable of empathizing with others feelings, a way of inter-relating hugely increased by the faceless medium of the internet. I can trash your hours of work because it is just one click for me. And I can. I don't see or feel your efforts.

A situation made even worse by all the ADHD, compulsive-obsessives and bi-polar individuals allowed to roam free in Jimbo's "care in the community" community. Tendencies which would exclude individuals from influence in the real world but which are masked in the virtual world of Wiki.

* Imagine if the software could calculate how long the edit took to make and took as long to delete it, telling you so.

On the Wikipedia there really is no monitoring or filtering of individuals. There are very few checks and balances beyond mob rule. This means that topics that require greater or the greatest capacity of awareness are flooded by individuals who obviously have amongst the least of it and would have normally been filtered out earlier ... anything to do with WWII, foreign cultures or religion being typical examples.

------
NB: normally, I loath to step into the Kingdom of Jon ... so please Jon, if for any reason this post does not suit you, just ask for it to be moved and not dick around with it. Thank you.

This post has been edited by Cock-up-over-conspiracy:
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Cock-up-over-conspiracy

Now censored by flckr.com and who else ... ???

Group: Regulars

I have no expertise whatsoever. I am merely trying to put a voice to my feelings.

I was noting how certain admins so very obviously become become obsessed with certain editors, how people get on other people's case.

I suppose they they they are doing the right thing but I suspect they are just obsessing. You know, as in when you notice something for the first time and then keep seeing it where ever you go.

I suspect the software with it page watching and other functions encourage this and add to the chemical rush of it all that makes it so addictive to certain types.

Unlike a proper charity or institution, there is no one to keep a check on such things an keep an eye on individuals who ten to obsess.

Myopic individuals, obsessed with details, who are incapable of seeing the big picture or hole. I imagine there are more than a few of them ... but yet still few copy editors.
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

τὰ δέ μοι παθήματα μαθήματα γέγονε

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5,619

QUOTE(Cock-up-over-conspiracy @ Wed 3rd November 2010, 1:33pm) *

I have no expertise whatsoever. I am merely trying to put a voice to my feelings.

I was noting how certain admins so very obviously become become obsessed with certain editors, how people get on other people's case.

I suppose they they they are doing the right thing but I suspect they are just obsessing. You know, as in when you notice something for the first time and then keep seeing it where ever you go.

I suspect the software with it page watching and other functions encourage this and add to the chemical rush of it all that makes it so addictive to certain types.

Unlike a proper charity or institution, there is no one to keep a check on such things an keep an eye on individuals who ten to obsess.

Myopic individuals, obsessed with details, who are incapable of seeing the big picture or hole. I imagine there are more than a few of them … but yet still few copy editors.

People become myopic for a reason.

Because of what they wish to ignore.

Jon (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/wtf.gif)
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

τὰ δέ μοι παθήματα μαθήματα γέγονε

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5,619

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Wed 3rd November 2010, 2:10pm) *

QUOTE(Cock-up-over-conspiracy @ Wed 3rd November 2010, 1:33pm) *

Myopic individuals, obsessed with details, who are incapable of seeing the big picture or hole. I imagine there are more than a few of them … but yet still few copy editors.

People become myopic for a reason.

Because of what they wish to ignore.

It begins small, almost imperceptibly.

You see a small injustice, a minor outrage, a mini-atrocity, taking place within your view. You are tempted to protest … maybe you do … the first 2 or 3 or 4 times … but soon it becomes clear that you risk your personal ticket-to-edit by doing so … there are those who take that risk and you see what happens to them … but you are not that sort … so you form a habit of ignoring small injustices, minor outrages, mini-atrocities, taking place within your view.

Next thing you know —

Yer Blind As A Fuckin' Mole Rat !!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)