FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
One of the blokes got blackmailed -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> One of the blokes got blackmailed, This shite speaks for itself
MaliceAforethought

u Mad?

Group: Contributors
Member No.: 57,801

[binning for now]
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
The Adversary

CT (Check Troll)

Group: Regulars

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/unhappy.gif)
Whaw.
And if this does not give a "sympathy backlash" for ArbCom, I don´t know what will.
+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

Bring back the guttersnipes!

Member No.: 6,696

The truth will out. Being an arb is tough, especially if you try to actually do the job as advertised, instead of being a political gameplayer. And even if you don't you're still a target for all the nutters involved in Wikipedia.

The fact that the job is so hard and has so few meaningful rewards is one of the reasons I'm deeply suspicious of anyone who consents to do it, and especially anyone who consents to do it twice. It's my considered opinion at this point that accepting (or seeking) the role more than once, absent exceptional circumstances, is evidence of some form of psychosocial malfunction. The first time can just be due to being misled, and staying "on post" can merely be due to a strong sense of duty, but willfully seeking to reup after having learned what the job really is is fairly clearly evidence of something being not right with you.

The simple fact is that no sane person remains in close association with Wikipedia for long. Its community environment is deeply dysfunctional and only those who are dysfunctional themselves can thrive in that environment. Sane people flee such places once they realize what they're up against, or at best stay on the peripheries, editing uncontroversially and ducking whenever they run into conflict.
+Quote Post
Anna

Adversary --

Is it really all that surprising?

I mean, really, how many people are fortunate enough to have actually made it, say, 30 years in life (if not less) without being confronted with at least a credible threat of bodily harm, if not actual violence?

Yes, there are criminals in the world.
+Quote Post
The Adversary

CT (Check Troll)

QUOTE(Anna @ Mon 27th June 2011, 1:57pm) *

Adversary --

Is it really all that surprising?

I mean, really, how many people are fortunate enough to have actually made it, say, 30 years in life (if not less) without being confronted with at least a credible threat of bodily harm, if not actual violence?

Yes, there are criminals in the world.

Well, I live in a very peaceful part of the world. I would say at least 90% of people I know have made it to their 30th birthday without the threat of bodily harm. At least. (In my country you will be fined/go to jail if you slap your own children. No kidding.)

There are those those who do face violence on a regular basis (police, wardens, etc) are quite well paid to do so, and, (more importantly) have a back-up system to support them when they do.

But wikipedia is a hobby, dammit!
It is not as if it pays a lot (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/hrmph.gif) (read: at all).

That you (or someone close to you) should have to face treats of violence, direct or indirect, because of a hobby, is ..is... beyond words. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/unhappy.gif)

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Mon 27th June 2011, 1:51pm) *

Being an arb is tough, especially if you try to actually do the job as advertised, instead of being a political gameplayer. And even if you don't you're still a target for all the nutters involved in Wikipedia.

The fact that the job is so hard and has so few meaningful rewards is one of the reasons I'm deeply suspicious of anyone who consents to do it, and especially anyone who consents to do it twice.

<> Sane people flee such places once they realize what they're up against, or at best stay on the peripheries, editing uncontroversially and ducking whenever they run into conflict.
Understandable, but sad.

It basically leaves any controversy to people who are in an "untouchable" situation..eg. being anonymous. With all the opportunity for misuse that gives.

(btw, if one thinks about the info being presented here...and the "hunt" for Iridescent here... I feel deeply uncomfortable.)

As I see it: wikipedia is presently in a completely unsustainable situation: one one hand we expect, nay, demand openess and and accountability from its "officials", ..on the other hand: when they are subjected to any nutters out there, we give them zero in support.

+Quote Post
MaliceAforethought

u Mad?

Member No.: 57,801

Yes, this thread's gone the way of the faeries. Someone's pointed out that buried in the thread was the blackmailer's threat of harm if this ever went public and even I can't stand for that.

EDIT: Munged the title as well. I'm all for hoping the bloke that requested this thread was just curious cause I'd hate to see ya burn in hell for threatening children.
+Quote Post
The Adversary

CT (Check Troll)

QUOTE(MaliceAforethought @ Mon 27th June 2011, 3:01pm) *

Yes, this thread's gone the way of the faeries. Someone's pointed out that buried in the thread was the blackmailer's threat of harm if this ever went public and even I can't stand for that.

EDIT: Munged the title as well. I'm all for hoping the bloke that requested this thread was just curious cause I'd hate to see ya burn in hell for threatening children.

Thanks. Well done.
+Quote Post
SB_Johnny

It wasn't me who made honky-tonk angels

QUOTE(MaliceAforethought @ Mon 27th June 2011, 11:01am) *

Thanks... I was just about to request that this one be taken down, after reading it. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/fear.gif)

If anything ever happens to one of the arbs because of this kind of crap, I hope they'll hold the WMF criminally negligent.
+Quote Post
Sololol

Bell the Cat

Being an arb is tough, especially if you try to actually do the job as advertised, instead of being a political gameplayer. And even if you don't you're still a target for all the nutters involved in Wikipedia.

The fact that the job is so hard and has so few meaningful rewards is one of the reasons I'm deeply suspicious of anyone who consents to do it, and especially anyone who consents to do it twice.

Sane people flee such places once they realize what they're up against, or at best stay on the peripheries, editing uncontroversially and ducking whenever they run into conflict.

Kelly, you were an Arb, right? After the ritual initiation rites do they give you any sort of warning about these things? Any "By the by, your volunteer duties could expose you and your loved ones to threats of physical harm and blackmailing?" It would be atrocious if they didn't.

+Quote Post
SB_Johnny

QUOTE(Sololol @ Mon 27th June 2011, 11:38am) *

Sane people flee such places once they realize what they're up against, or at best stay on the peripheries, editing uncontroversially and ducking whenever they run into conflict.

Kelly, you were an Arb, right? After the ritual initiation rites do they give you any sort of warning about these things? Any "By the by, your volunteer duties could expose you and your loved ones to threats of physical harm and blackmailing?" It would be atrocious if they didn't.

They might not have known that yet back then... Kelly was one of the initial appointees, iirc. Which reminds me that it would be interesting to see the damage control discussions after they kicked her off the mailing list.
+Quote Post
cyofee

Having read the leaks, I support them being hidden from view.
+Quote Post
Anna

The Adversary --

Erm, wow. Appalling? Yes. But surprising? No. Lots of people face violence (or threat thereof, but probably the actual violence more often than the threat) -- sometimes on a more or less regular basis -- and are not paid for it and do not necessarily have any back-up.

The usual motivations tend to be drugs, material wealth, lust, and hatred of minorities, e.g. people of particular races, disabled people or people of a particular disability. In the hate crime section, I personally have seen more hatred of disabled people, but worldwide, racial hatred is probably more common. There are also a lot of "honor" crimes, for some perverted meaning of the word "honor".

So, people are regularly victimized for simply living in poor neighborhoods (with lots of desperate people looking for an illicit way to make a living); for living near drug dealers and their clients (not always in poor neighborhoods; meth dealers often make a lot of money and can afford to live in rich neighborhoods; legal drugs like alcohol and nicotine included); for being women living in towns with excessive numbers of horny males who can't control themselves (in South Africa, a woman is more likely to be raped than to learn how to read); for living in a neighborhood that's crime-ridden for some other reason; for the color of their skin; for their disability; for being a slave; for having a mad parent/step-parent/other family member; sheer bad luck; and so on and so forth. Some people get killed just for offending a politician. Of course, a hitman is hired so it can't actually be proved. I heard of one person who offended a politician in some major way and was shot dead in a church.

And if you count poisoning as a form of violence... well, then the figures just skyrocket.

So, unfortunately, the victim in question is far from alone. On the bright side, I'm sure he won't have too look far for someone to commiserate with.

The police often don't turn up until long after the violence has occurred. Even then, many police investigations, even of bloody, violent crime, fall far short of thorough. In some rural parts of the country, a police is a sort of mythological being people think they might have seen once.

Most violence is appalling. I mean, what actually is a good reason for it? To defend yourself and others. Which really accounts for only a small fraction of violence.

A more or less reasonable person, when insulted verbally, will ignore the insult, or reply back verbally, or perhaps, if the insult was particularly severe and made by a particularly high profile person, start some sort of petition or other political action over it. There are a number of things a more or less reasonable person might do. But a reasonable person would not reply to a verbal or written insult with a violent reply. A drunk might opt for a violent reply. Some other sort of drug addict might opt for a violent reply. Someone on a bad psychoactive medication might opt for a violent reply. A really nasty person might opt for a more violent reply even when not under the influence of any mind altering substances.

Modern technology merely lets people commit the oldest sins in the newest ways.

This post has been edited by Anna:
+Quote Post
RMHED

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Anna @ Tue 28th June 2011, 1:15am) *

... (in South Africa, a woman is more likely to be raped than to learn how to read)

Even if you added the word black before woman, I still think it rather questionable. If this were accurate, what I wonder does it say about black South African men?
+Quote Post
Anna

RMHED --

Read the BBC report if you don't believe me.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/1909220.stm

"It is a fact that a woman born in South Africa has a greater chance of being raped, than learning how to read."

The BBC does not limit the statement to only black women. In fact, they show one white victim and one black victim in their report.

Anyway, as I said before, technology -- the internet included -- merely allows people to commit the oldest sins in the newest ways. I suppose, for violent criminals, the internet might be seen as a new way to find victims.

This post has been edited by Anna:
+Quote Post
Malleus

Fat Cat

Member No.: 8,716

QUOTE(Anna @ Tue 28th June 2011, 1:33am) *

RMHED --

Read the BBC report if you don't believe me.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/1909220.stm

"It is a fact that a woman born in South Africa has a greater chance of being raped, than learning how to read."

The BBC does not limit the statement to only black women. In fact, they show one white victim and one black victim in their report.

That's rather shocking, and rather revealing that South Africa's Deputy President Jacob Zuma blames apartheid for "sowing the seeds for the breakdown of the institution of the family", instead of his own government for failing to deal with it.
+Quote Post
Anna

Malleus --

Perhaps you would care to sign this petition?
http://www.change.org/petitions/south-afri...on-against-rape

If I remember correctly, my original point was less about South Africa and more about the fact that violence (and threats of it) is common and thus the victim in question, if he reads this, should know that he is not alone.

However, you should sign the petition anyway.
+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

QUOTE(Sololol @ Mon 27th June 2011, 10:38am) *
Not when I was an arbitrator. But I served in late 2005 through early 2006, and the situation was not quite so bad then; Wikipedia didn't have nearly the exposure then it does now, and the "nutter vortex" wasn't nearly as well developed.
+Quote Post
SB_Johnny

QUOTE(cyofee @ Mon 27th June 2011, 2:20pm) *

Having read the leaks, I support them being hidden from view.

Just for the benefit of the curious, a quick synopsis is that some asshole threatened to do harm to the loved ones (including children) of one of the arbs if the arb didn't do what he wanted. The other arbs (appropriately and gracefully) gave their moral and emtional support to the victim. 'Nuff said on that.

The only thing that's really of interest if that there wasn't much in the way of support from Jimbo or the WMF (at least not in the dox provided), but only interesting in the sense that it was a rather alarming example of the sorts of things WMF volunteers are exposed to, and the WMF's apparent disinterest in their fates. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/hrmph.gif)

I think M.A. is doing a pretty decent job of selecting what to put out here for the most part, but perhaps a vetting process with a few of the trusted old hands around here might be a good idea. Hopefully no damage done this time.
+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

QUOTE(SB_Johnny @ Mon 27th June 2011, 12:07pm) *
They might not have known that yet back then... Kelly was one of the initial appointees, iirc. Which reminds me that it would be interesting to see the damage control discussions after they kicked her off the mailing list.
I wasn't kicked off it; I voluntary resigned from it in September 2006 at the same time I resigned my adminship, and while I imagine they had discussions as to what to do should I request access back I never made such a request so the issue was moot. My understanding, based on conversations with NYB, is that there were several arbs who wanted me hung from a yardarm until well-poached, but NYB and a few others argued for something less severe, leading to their "resigned under a cloud" nonsense. To this day I still feel vaguely insulted at having been backhandedly "thanked" for my service, something which NYB says he fought hard to include in that decision. Honestly I would have preferred to have been banned; it would have been less insulting.
+Quote Post
Malleus

Fat Cat

Member No.: 8,716

QUOTE(Anna @ Tue 28th June 2011, 2:09am) *

Malleus --

Perhaps you would care to sign this petition?
http://www.change.org/petitions/south-afri...on-against-rape

If I remember correctly, my original point was less about South Africa and more about the fact that violence (and threats of it) is common and thus the victim in question, if he reads this, should know that he is not alone.

However, you should sign the petition anyway.

I don't believe that online petitions change anything, they're just lazy, so I decline.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)