FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
The "pro-Israeli" canvassing ring leak (annexed) -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> The "pro-Israeli" canvassing ring leak (annexed), The failure of WP enforcement
Sololol

Bell the Cat

Group: Contributors

I'd have preferred this all to have been dealt with quietly, sparing any embarrassment, but that didn't happen. I can't remain silent so here we are.*
There may be a more a viscous section of Wikipedia than I-P area but I've no idea what it is. Veterans will acknowledge that it's a bloodthirsty zone filled with endless bickering over tiny details, constant sockpuppet harassment and general nastiness (it's also a great place to explore the finer points of sophistry). The specter of a pro-Israeli emailing list has been raised numerous times but no one could offer more than circumstantial evidence. Until now.

This may come as no surprise to our jaded audience but it's a great surprise to those fresh-faced young editors who bought the party line of "There is no cabal!", namely me. My hope was that Wikipedia's enforcement mavens would take over once they were made aware of the situation. That was a few months ago. I'd received these files from an anonymous email address after running afoul of the puppet masters (here, Jan/Feb-ish). While I can't verify how they were obtained (leak/hack/etc.) I can verify their authenticity. Real names and contact info not otherwise available have been blanked so you'll have to take my word for it (or someone else's as they don't seem to be a huge secret).

We (myself, two editors not involved in the topic area, a retired CU and two other folks) researched the group and sent our findings to Arbcom, to no avail.

The files in question, the only thing remotely interesting in this post.
The members, most of whom will come as no surprise to familiar editors (this is not exhaustive, it covers most of the editors in the emails released here but not all of them in the files nor, I suspect, all of them involved):
-Nocal100: aka Isarig, long term editor turned prolific puppetmaster
-breein1007
-Mbz1
-Shuki
-Stellarkid aka Djudem/Concheet from the 2008 CAMERA group, the other great puppetmaster
-Jiujitsuguy
-brewcrewer
-Broccoli
-a peripheral glimpse of Jayjg who, despite his reputation, acts quite honorably
So that's one CAMERA fellow, one of the original CAMERA members, and one who even made his own canvassing group (a fourth member is peripherally involved in another group that made headlines for a similar tactic). Hmmm.

HOW IS YOU KNOW THEY ARE REAL?!
The email addresses match according to various editors who've had contact with them. The on-wiki activity matches (compare this file with this edit and look at these sources provided by the banned puppet master inserted by an editor never before involved on the page, continuing the argument for the sockpuppet).
Oh, and Mbz1 admitted it.

YOU ARE BREAKING TEH LAW/INVADIN MAH PRIVACIES!
No dice, champ. I was neither the initial obtainer nor revealer. Talk to my lawyer.

Why bother bringing this up if no one will do anything to stop it?
Because people deserve to know what they face before investing their time. If you edit in a contentious place be aware that these groups exist and weigh the possibility of wasted, frustrating hours versus doing something else. The group itself isn't too surprising. The interesting bit is Wikipedia's complete failure to shut it down after notification of its existence or at least get rid of the most culpable offenders. If you want to, say, create an encyclopedia you'd do well to get rid of a toxic ring of ultra-nationalist sock puppeteers. So let this be a warning to you, oh newbie editors. The trail points to group operating in the same manner since about 2009 and it's all been reported before. Mbz1 and Broccoli cooperating on DYK? Brewcrewer working with NoCal socks? All were reported and dismissed. There's plenty of other hints at collusion which I'll leave you to dredge up yourself, it's all anti-Arab/Likudnik content, DYK pumping (best way to get visibility for pet causes) and sockpuppet harassment. There's more material but I've rambled long enough for an initial post.

TL/DR: Whiny new guy realizes there are cabals, is shocked by WP's failure to take even token preventive actions.

*In order to save time and focus on the topic, I hereby plead nolo contendere to anything remotely plausible I'm accused of doing (short of anything illegal) including whatever I was banned for, renounce my right to appeal, and accept our Lord Jimbo as my savior. This should be not be mistaken as the truth, just a time saving measure.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
powercorrupts

Look at the Runtshit sockfarm, now on over 1,300 - and all to hound one guy called Rance. That comes for being a Jew with the guts to be seriously critical - it's not always that easy for them, and WP of course is pretty much designed to always favour the bad guy. Being inherently abuse-friendly was the obvious 'challenge' facing Wikipedia from the outset, but far from doing much to counter it, Wikimedia essentially denies it is really the case. And yet it is full of systems that favour natural abusers.

Zionists behave badly because bad behaviour is central to their ideal.

Also there is this at ED. Is it me, or is ED new and improved?

This post has been edited by powercorrupts:
+Quote Post
Tarc

Fat Cat

Group: Regulars

QUOTE(powercorrupts @ Thu 12th May 2011, 5:02pm) *

Thankfully it was preserved before becoming an icanhascheezburger wannabe. That reminds me that I need to create a new account at some point, too.

As for the latest, one can only hope that some admins with balls will pick this up and actually do something. The CAMERA affair was cracked at AN/I,not from waiting for ArbCom to get off its ass.

QUOTE(radek @ Thu 12th May 2011, 5:14pm) *

Can someone specifically indicate though - with paraphrasing - what these "big crimes" they are supposed to be guilty off actually were?

Mbz1 creates puff-piece articles of pro-Israeli propaganda, submits them to the "Did You Know?" forum, then solicits wiki-buddies to go there and vote in favor of adding said articles to the front page. She even provides the complete "here's what you need to cut n paste" line for a positive vote. They believe all that oppose them at DYK are antisemites and look for ways to undermine their opinions.

This post has been edited by Tarc:
+Quote Post
Mr.Treason II

QUOTE(Tarc @ Thu 12th May 2011, 10:22pm) *

QUOTE(powercorrupts @ Thu 12th May 2011, 5:02pm) *

Thankfully it was preserved before becoming an icanhascheezburger wannabe. That reminds me that I need to create a new account at some point, too.

As for the latest, one can only hope that some admins with balls will pick this up and actually do something. The CAMERA affair was cracked at AN/I,not from waiting for ArbCom to get off its ass.

QUOTE(radek @ Thu 12th May 2011, 5:14pm) *

Can someone specifically indicate though - with paraphrasing - what these "big crimes" they are supposed to be guilty off actually were?

Mbz1 creates puff-piece articles of pro-Israeli propaganda, submits them to the "Did You Know?" forum, then solicits wiki-buddies to go there and vote in favor of adding said articles to the front page. She even provides the complete "here's what you need to cut n paste" line for a positive vote. They believe all that oppose them at DYK are antisemites and look for ways to undermine their opinions.

Yes, it's a puff piece show. Puff pieces of obviouus radicalism that damages innocents should be deleted.
+Quote Post
nableezy

Member No.: 11,908

QUOTE(Mr.Treason II @ Thu 14th July 2011, 2:34am) *

Yes, it's a puff piece show. Puff pieces of obviouus radicalism that damages innocents should be deleted.

Is there a way of forcing a different avatar be used by an account? I know at least two other people have complained about the use of The Joy's avatar being used by this account, add me to that list. Nothing personal Mr. Treason, but that pic is taken as far as I am concerned.
+Quote Post
The Joy

I am a millipede! I am amazing!

Group: Members
Member No.: 982

QUOTE(nableezy @ Thu 14th July 2011, 3:30pm) *

Is there a way of forcing a different avatar be used by an account? I know at least two other people have complained about the use of The Joy's avatar being used by this account, add me to that list. Nothing personal Mr. Treason, but that pic is taken as far as I am concerned.

Indeed! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/angry.gif)
+Quote Post
Mr.Treason II

QUOTE(The Joy @ Thu 14th July 2011, 9:23pm) *

QUOTE(nableezy @ Thu 14th July 2011, 3:30pm) *

Indeed! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/angry.gif)

I've changed it to wriagra as you can see.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Sololol   The "pro-Israeli" canvassing ring leak (annexed)  
It's the blimp, Frank   Good post. Given the corruption at Wikipedia, Name...  
thekohser   Good post. I was thinking just the opposite. I...  
gomi   Good post. I was thinking just the opposite. I am...  
radek   [quote name='thekohser' post='274962' date='Thu 1...  
Sololol   And yeah, this whole practice of running around t...  
radek   At most send it to ArbCom and let them deal with...  
Sololol   At most send it to ArbCom and let them deal with i...  
Cla68   Sololol, thank you for posting this. I've enc...  
mbz1   [quote name='thekohser' post='274962' date='Thu 1...  
Sololol   Good post. I was thinking just the opposite. ...  
Milton Roe   Basically, there's a group of hyper-aggressiv...  
Malik Shabazz   Zionists behave badly because bad behaviour is ce...  
Cla68   Zionists behave badly because bad behaviour is c...  
powercorrupts   [quote name='Malik Shabazz' post='275001' date='F...  
Herschelkrustofsky   [quote name='Cla68' post='275002' date='Fri 13th ...  
Malik Shabazz   [quote name='Cla68' post='275002' date='Fri 13th ...  
powercorrupts   [quote name='Cla68' post='275002' date='Fri 13th...  
SB_Johnny   Not meaning to dopeslap people who weren't exp...  
carbuncle   Not meaning to dopeslap people who weren't ex...  
Kelly Martin   Rinse, launder, repeat. While the details are, pe...  
powercorrupts   When will Wikimedia learn that 'articles' ...  
lilburne   RE: The "pro-Israeli" canvassing ring leak (annexed)  
mbz1   Oh, and BTW I emailed to imageshack, and in a few ...  
Sololol   This is my favorite version of the story so far...  
Milton Roe   Even if one of your stories is true and I disappr...  
mbz1   This is my favorite version of the story so fa...  
Sololol   And about these emails, here's my advise to...  
Silver seren   It's not like the listed users have not been k...  
Milton Roe   Unless you can get perfect evidence about the cab...  
Sololol   It's not like the listed users have not been ...  
EricBarbour   An instructive example: betsythedivine reports a p...  
Sololol   [quote name='Sololol' post='275852' date='Sun 29t...  
Milton Roe   C) How curious. Biosketch, a recent reincarnation...  
Elara   Gotta agree, while certainly entertaining, it...  
Tarc   I love how our old buddy Mila is on a crusade to s...  
Sololol   I love how our old buddy Mila is on a crusade to ...  
AGK   This AGK fellow seems to mean well but he's a...  
Sololol   [quote name='Sololol' post='275982' date='Wed 1st...  
Wikifan   [quote name='Sololol' post='275982' date='Wed 1s...  
mbz1   [quote name='Sololol' post='275982' date='Wed 1st...  
Tarc   I have never edited on behalf of banned users, jus...  
Sololol   I have never edited on behalf of banned users, jus...  
The Adversary   In other news, I'm sure you'll be happy ...  
mbz1   In other news, I'm sure you'll be happy...  
mbz1   I'd received these files from an anonymous e...  
gomi   This email was examined by a language expert and t...  
Milton Roe   This email was examined by a language expert and ...  
gomi   For the curious, here is the original reference. ...  
Milton Roe   For the curious, here is the original reference. ...  
Zoloft   How to solve the I/P issue: "Today the Wikim...  
Tarc   How to solve the I/P issue: Turn everything betw...  
victim of censorship   How to solve the I/P issue: "Today the Wiki...  
The Joy   How to solve the I/P issue: "Today the Wiki...  
Sololol   Alas, academics can be just as bad. One of the p...  
The Joy   [quote name='The Joy' post='276137' date='Fri 3rd...  
asad112   And in other news...  
Silver seren   And in other news... Yeah, he did that after I ...  
mbz1   [quote name='asad112' post='276217' date='Sun 5th...  
asad112   [quote name='asad112' post='276217' date='Sun 5t...  
mbz1   [quote name='mbz1' post='276226' date='Sun 5th Ju...  
nableezy   This really belongs in the annex tho, as it has go...  
mbz1   This really belongs in the annex tho, as it has g...  
nableezy   This really belongs in the annex tho, as it has ...  
AGK   [quote name='asad112' post='276217' date='Sun 5th...  
The Joy   Back to the original post (though I do enjoy these...  
Herschelkrustofsky   Mod's note: done. Whew, that was exhausting. I...  
SB_Johnny   [i]Mod's note: done. Whew, that was exhaustin...  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)