FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Nonvocal's blog -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Nonvocal's blog, Here you go...
NVS

Group: Contributors

Linky
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
LaraLove

Wikipedia BLP advocate

Group: Regulars

QUOTE(NVS @ Sun 27th July 2008, 12:11pm) *

For whatever reason, I read "Novocal's block". That made the link all the more disappointing.

This post has been edited by LaraLove:
+Quote Post
NVS

QUOTE(LaraLove @ Sun 27th July 2008, 5:10pm) *

For whatever reason, I read "Novocal's block". That made the link all the more disappointing.

block?
+Quote Post
LaraLove

Wikipedia BLP advocate

QUOTE(NVS @ Sun 27th July 2008, 1:13pm) *

QUOTE(LaraLove @ Sun 27th July 2008, 5:10pm) *

block?

I'm going to be real, cause that's how I roll. Little sleep and having not yet eaten today, my brain is working at half speed. I just read the thread on ncmvocalist and his inability to grasp what others tell him, and I thought this thread was about him being blocked for it... so not only did I misread "blog" as "block", but I was thinking it was "ncmvocalist" instead of "Novocal".

Just ignore me. I had my hopes up for block drama and I got a blog post. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/sad.gif) That's no fun.
+Quote Post
thekohser

Worst Blog of 2008 nominee.
+Quote Post
NVS

QUOTE(thekohser @ Sun 27th July 2008, 6:25pm) *

You attitude in this post reflects that of crankiness. Have you no joy?

edit: Alter characterization.

This post has been edited by NVS:
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(NVS @ Sun 27th July 2008, 2:50pm) *

Sorry, but when I looked at it, the sum total of the contents of your blog was:

The current picture…
July 27th, 2008 | Posted in English Wikipedia, Wiki, Wikimedia
+Quote Post
NVS

QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 28th July 2008, 1:43am) *

QUOTE(NVS @ Sun 27th July 2008, 2:50pm) *

Sorry, but when I looked at it, the sum total of the contents of your blog was:

The current picture…
July 27th, 2008 | Posted in English Wikipedia, Wiki, Wikimedia

What browser are you using? This may indicate an issue. I'm using firefox, I see it fine.
+Quote Post
NVS

Fixed. There was a coding error. I found it and subverted a new version of the php on my production site. Thank you for finding the bug! The blog should work on your browser now.
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(NVS @ Sun 27th July 2008, 10:12pm) *

Fixed. There was a coding error. I found it and subverted a new version of the php on my production site. Thank you for finding the bug! The blog should work on your browser now.

Okay, good. Now you're up to the Second-worst Blog of 2008, after this ridiculous waste of electrons.
+Quote Post
Proabivouac

Bane of all wikiland

QUOTE(NonVocalScream)

The folks at Wikipedia Review found it very needed to (GASP!).. identify me.

I'm a little hurt that you didn't credit me directly.
QUOTE(NonVocalScream)

The only thing I was asking for was the ability to block/unblock protect/unprotect move delete/undelete basically. Since when did these tools become a power play, a game?

Since you indef blocked PrivateMusings for using socks in "discussions internal to the project", when your co-prosecutor JzG was doing the exact same thing?

This post has been edited by Proabivouac:
+Quote Post
NVS

QUOTE(Proabivouac @ Mon 28th July 2008, 2:34am) *

QUOTE(NonVocalScream)

QUOTE(NonVocalScream)

The only thing I was asking for was the ability to block/unblock protect/unprotect move delete/undelete basically. Since when did these tools become a power play, a game?

Since you indef blocked PrivateMusings for using socks in "discussions internal to the project", when your co-prosecutor JzG was doing the exact same thing?

You want to discuss that? Take it to my talk page on project, or to the blog. I won't discuss it here. Incidentally, it is a little off topic for this thread. Respectfully.
+Quote Post
LaraLove

Wikipedia BLP advocate

QUOTE(NonVocalScream)

The only thing I was asking for was the ability to block/unblock protect/unprotect move delete/undelete basically.

Part of your problem is that, despite having been an admin previously, you don't appear to understand what adminship is. Your RFA wasn't a turning point in anything. It was actually rather predictable.

QUOTE(NonVocalScream)

Since when did these tools become a power play, a game?

Adminship was not a big deal when the project was small, but it certainly is now.

QUOTE(NonVocalScream)

Since when did initiative become a power hunger issue?

This makes no sense coming from someone who clearly knows Kmweber. The answer to this question is a simple one, and is easily found in the contributions of the aforementioned editor.

All that said, I find it amusing how many people take to analyzing RFA after theirs fails. RFA is broken, that is not in question by those grounded in reality, but not every failed RFA is evidence of it. A full blown analysis by a professional (volunteering his services, of course) is in progress. Gazimoff's project was initiated after RFA/DHMO 3. His RFA was clearly a turning point in the ongoing discussions about RFA. Not in that it failed, but in the shameful, pathetic behavior of some of those who participated in it and the affect it had. Individual analysis is pointless, particularly when it's your own RFA, because your opinion and perception are not neutral. If you want to participate in a genuine review, Gazimoff's page is the place to be.

QUOTE(NVS @ Sun 27th July 2008, 11:11pm) *

QUOTE(Proabivouac @ Mon 28th July 2008, 2:34am) *

QUOTE(NonVocalScream)

QUOTE(NonVocalScream)

You want to discuss that? Take it to my talk page on project, or to the blog. I won't discuss it here. Incidentally, it is a little off topic for this thread. Respectfully.

I don't see how that's off-topic. You posted a link to your blog here. You blog is about your RFA. You're analyzing RFA as if it's broken, using yours as an example of all these new things. All you want, as you said, was the buttons to block, delete, protect, and un-all the previous. Adminship is about trust, and for the reasons noted by Proabivouac, there's a lack of trust regarding you and the block button. By your own blog, you also aren't trusted with the delete button and your judgment, which is important for adminship, is in question over your support of Durova and her block of !!. Clearly it seems relevant to the topic of this thread.
+Quote Post
NVS

QUOTE(LaraLove @ Mon 28th July 2008, 4:52am) *

I don't see how that's off-topic. You posted a link to your blog here. You blog is about your RFA. You're analyzing RFA as if it's broken, using yours as an example of all these new things. All you want, as you said, was the buttons to block, delete, protect, and un-all the previous. Adminship is about trust, and for the reasons noted by Proabivouac, there's a lack of trust regarding you and the block button. By your own blog, you also aren't trusted with the delete button and your judgment, which is important for adminship, is in question over your support of Durova and her block of !!. Clearly it seems relevant to the topic of this thread.

I thought it was off topic in that we are renewing the NonvocalScream show thread here in this thread. I guess that is allowed here.

I'm analyzing the system as a whole. I can do that.

You are correct that I may not be the most neutral person to analyze my own, but I thought it was fair to at least try to do mine...

...before I analyze others individual RFAs, and the system in general. The focus will be more on the system in general and exposing those biases that exist.

I think it goes without saying that with all the facts known, I do not support the block of !!.

Additionally, I've spoken to PM (regarding the block of him) about this already after his arbcom block expired, like two adults would and should on this project. I consider the matter settled, and thus I won't comment on the PM block.
+Quote Post
Random832

meh

QUOTE(NVS @ Mon 28th July 2008, 5:01am) *

I think it goes without saying that with all the facts known, I do not support the block of !!.

Your qualifier "with all the facts known" is precisely the problem here - you should not have supported it without all the facts known, either.
+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

Bring back the guttersnipes!

Member No.: 6,696

QUOTE(NVS @ Mon 28th July 2008, 12:01am) *
The only fact that was not known to you at the last time you supported it was !!'s prior identity (or at least that his prior identity was that of a person generally regarded to be nonproblematic). What this indicates to me is that you feel that whether or not someone should be blocked is, in part, based on who they are and who they know. This means that you feel that blocks are an appropriate tool for playing clique politics.

This is why you should not be an admin.
+Quote Post
Random832

meh

QUOTE(NVS @ Sun 27th July 2008, 4:11pm) *

Posting comments doesn't work (it says something about the DOM being messed up, and if I bypass that javascript check it says I "must be logged in")
+Quote Post
NVS

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Mon 28th July 2008, 1:54pm) *

QUOTE(NVS @ Mon 28th July 2008, 12:01am) *
The only fact that was not known to you at the last time you supported it was !!'s prior identity (or at least that his prior identity was that of a person generally regarded to be nonproblematic). What this indicates to me is that you feel that whether or not someone should be blocked is, in part, based on who they are and who they know. This means that you feel that blocks are an appropriate tool for playing clique politics.

This is why you should not be an admin.

No, you are incorrect about this...

"This means that you feel that blocks are an appropriate tool for playing clique politics."

It means that I assumed Durova had viable information. I should never assume. I should have investigated. That is what it means.

+Quote Post
NVS

QUOTE(Random832 @ Mon 28th July 2008, 3:05pm) *

Posting comments doesn't work (it says something about the DOM being messed up, and if I bypass that javascript check it says I "must be logged in")

Fixed, for now. I have to debug the php later. Its sad if I have to use a bug tracker. :| Thank you for the report.
+Quote Post
Cla68

Postmaster

NVS, you appear to really enjoy, or else are very compelled, to participate in Wikipedia. For what it's worth, I suggest choosing a topic that's interesting to you and then taking an article about some aspect of that topic to Featured status.

The only real reward that may result from doing so is a feeling of satisfaction and pride for having created what would probably be one of the best, if not the best, article on that subject on the entire English Internet. But, I suspect that that feeling may be better than whatever you may be getting out of trying to participate in the project's administration. If you have already taken an article to FA with this or any of your previous WP accounts, my apologies for presuming that you haven't done so.

This post has been edited by Cla68:
+Quote Post
NVS

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Tue 29th July 2008, 1:43am) *

NVS, you appear to really enjoy, or else are very compelled, to participate in Wikipedia. For what it's worth, I suggest choosing a topic that's interesting to you and then taking an article about some aspect of that topic to Featured status.

The only real reward that may result from doing so is a feeling of satisfaction and pride for having created what would probably be one of the best, if not the best, article on that subject on the entire English Internet. But, I suspect that that feeling may be better than whatever you may be getting out of trying to participate in the project's administration. If you have already taken an article to FA with this or any of your previous WP accounts, my apologies for presuming that you haven't done so.

There is more than just the En wiki project. However, thank you for the advice.

This post has been edited by NVS:
+Quote Post
Cla68

Postmaster

QUOTE(NVS @ Tue 29th July 2008, 1:47am) *

I should have said any language wiki.
+Quote Post
NVS

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Tue 29th July 2008, 2:10am) *

QUOTE(NVS @ Tue 29th July 2008, 1:47am) *

I should have said any language wiki.

I think I would actually like to get more involved into fund raising and such when time permits.
+Quote Post
Giggy

Ãœber Member

Group: Inactive
Member No.: 5,552

QUOTE(LaraLove @ Mon 28th July 2008, 2:52pm) *

All that said, I find it amusing how many people take to analyzing RFA after theirs fails. RFA is broken, that is not in question by those grounded in reality, but not every failed RFA is evidence of it. A full blown analysis by a professional (volunteering his services, of course) is in progress. Gazimoff's project was initiated after RFA/DHMO 3. His RFA was clearly a turning point in the ongoing discussions about RFA. Not in that it failed, but in the shameful, pathetic behavior of some of those who participated in it and the affect it had. Individual analysis is pointless, particularly when it's your own RFA, because your opinion and perception are not neutral. If you want to participate in a genuine review, Gazimoff's page is the place to be.

I'm not sure me analysing RfA would be a good idea for anyone (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)

QUOTE(NVS @ Tue 29th July 2008, 10:33am) *

QUOTE(Random832 @ Mon 28th July 2008, 3:05pm) *

Fixed, for now. I have to debug the php later. Its sad if I have to use a bug tracker. :| Thank you for the report.

Might I suggest you just use BlogSpot and let Google solve all your problems?
+Quote Post
LaraLove

Wikipedia BLP advocate

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Mon 28th July 2008, 9:43pm) *

Of all my actions on Wikipedia, I can't recall one admin action that really left me with a feeling of pride of satisfaction. There is much more joy in writing and article improvement, no doubt. Aspiring for adminship is a waste. And I think I now understand the editors who oppose what they believe is an admin mill... and I think I just came to agree with them.
+Quote Post
NVS

New post today. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

Bring back the guttersnipes!

Member No.: 6,696

QUOTE(NVS @ Tue 29th July 2008, 8:37pm) *

Must you use Wikipedia Review to advertise your blog?
+Quote Post
NVS

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Wed 30th July 2008, 2:25am) *

QUOTE(NVS @ Tue 29th July 2008, 8:37pm) *

Must you use Wikipedia Review to advertise your blog?

I should have kept it within the scope of this thread, Wikipedia thru the eyes of bloggers. I'll do better next time to ensure that all blogs advertised and commented on are WMF related. So sorry if this one was...

...improper. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
thekohser

I am shocked, offended, and aghast that someone would use this forum to self promote!
+Quote Post
NVS

QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 30th July 2008, 1:21pm) *

I am shocked, offended, and aghast that someone would use this forum to self promote!

Ms Martin.... hellooooooo. *echo* *echo* *echo* (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif) Of course, *I* only get my wrist slapped.
+Quote Post
NVS

A few new interesting posts, http://www.datascreamer.com
+Quote Post
NVS

QUOTE(NVS @ Fri 29th August 2008, 7:24pm) *

A few new interesting posts, http://www.datascreamer.com

And more more new one.
+Quote Post
Neil

Awesome member

Member No.: 4,822

Exactly one quarter of your posts to WR (16 of 64) have been on this one self-promotional thread, NVS.

I don't think Greg has promoted Wikipedia Review sixteen times out of his 3,351 posts, yet he's the patsy who gets castigated as a self-promoter.

Poor Greg.

This post has been edited by Neil:
+Quote Post
NVS

QUOTE(Neil @ Tue 16th September 2008, 2:18pm) *

Exactly one quarter of your posts to WR (16 of 64) have been on this one self-promotional thread, NVS.

I don't think Greg has promoted Wikipedia Review sixteen times out of his 3,351 posts, yet he's the patsy who gets castigated as a self-promoter.

Poor Greg.

Let us look at it this way. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)

1) What money am I making from my visitors?

2) Is my blog in the most remote way commercially promotional?

3) Am I spewing *anything* other than opinion pieces about WMF and the projects?

(answer key: 1. $0.00 2. No 3. No.)

Ok... there you have it; the repeated posts are on topic for the thread. Why are you complaining?
+Quote Post
KStreetSlave

You might be better off adding your blog to the aggregator. Then new posts that are interesting will be picked up in the relevant blog sections on the site (not sure how those work.)
+Quote Post
Giggy

Ãœber Member

Group: Inactive
Member No.: 5,552

QUOTE(NVS @ Wed 17th September 2008, 11:18am) *

Poor Greg.

3) Am I spewing *anything* other than opinion pieces about WMF and the projects?

Ok... there you have it; the repeated posts are on topic for the thread. Why are you complaining?

1) Are you providing anything useful to people who click the links in this thread because they expect something good?

2) Is your blog in any way assisting in WR's aims of a useful criticism of WP?

3) I couldn't think of a witty question three.

(answer key: 1. No. 2. No. 3. No.)

(Ha! You can't delete my comments on WR, like you did here... twice!)
+Quote Post
NVS

QUOTE(Giggy @ Wed 17th September 2008, 9:58am) *

QUOTE(NVS @ Wed 17th September 2008, 11:18am) *

Poor Greg.

1) Are you providing anything useful to people who click the links in this thread because they expect something good?

2) Is your blog in any way assisting in WR's aims of a useful criticism of WP?

3) I couldn't think of a witty question three.

(answer key: 1. No. 2. No. 3. No.)

(Ha! You can't delete my comments on WR, like you did here... twice!)

Aw, don't be sore you got caught up in the spam filter.
+Quote Post
Casliber

NVS - flogging a dead horse about every new comment on your blog is not a good look - don't treat people like idiots. Not as seat-squirmingly embarrassing as the denial/non-denial you were Mercury, when asked directly by Giggy some time ago but close.

Cla68 has given good advice - I gave you the same advice (maybe more than once, I don't know), and I even used caps the last time (silly really, dramatic effects never works). If you ever want to be an admin, go and edit quietly for 9 months, help with appropriate BLP (not just hacking to pieces articles but constructive stuff). I dunno...umm..anyway. I won't repeat this message any more

This post has been edited by Casliber:
+Quote Post
LaraLove

Wikipedia BLP advocate

QUOTE(NVS @ Wed 17th September 2008, 6:07am) *

Aw, don't be sore you got caught up in the spam filter.

Heed your own advice.

QUOTE(Neil @ Tue 16th September 2008, 10:18am) *

Poor Greg.
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(NVS @ Tue 16th September 2008, 9:18pm) *

Poor Greg.

Thanks, Neil. However, I would guess that I've promoted Wikipedia Review in some way in about 100 of my posts. If true, it's still less than 3%.

As for the money I'm making... I'm actually losing money each month. Server fees outstrip my ad revenues by about a 5-to-1 margin. So, you might say I'm providing a charitable service to users like Awbrey and Ockham and SirFozzie, that they might create permanent wiki pages at no cost to themselves, and even where (if they choose) they could earn ad revenue of their own or conduct business with customers.

As for commercial promotion and "spewing", I have no rebuttal. Wikipedia Review, admittedly, is pretty much a commercial sputum factory. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/happy.gif)

Greg
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)