FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Why did Citizendium fail? -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> General Discussion? What's that all about?

This subforum is for general discussion of Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects. For a glossary of terms frequently used in such discussions, please refer to Wikipedia:Glossary. For a glossary of musical terms, see here. Other useful links:

Akahele.orgWikipedia-WatchWikitruthWP:ANWikiEN-L/Foundation-L (mailing lists) • Citizendium forums

> Why did Citizendium fail?
Rating  5
Peter Damian

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

Group: Regulars

One of the worst things Sanger did was to start Citizendium. It failed, and Wikipedians now have a wonderful argument to add to their armoury. It failed, because of the policy on attracting experts. Ergo, crowdsourcing is the only way to build a comprehensive and reliable reference work.

Here are some reasons I think Citizendium failed:

1. There was only ever room for one Internet encyclopedia, for Google and 'network effect' reasons.

2. Experts have a limited attraction for any such project as this. I remember Larry claiming that when he advertised on the philosophy lists, philosophers would come flocking in. They didn't. I was working with one other philosopher (aka Mel Ititis on Wikipedia) at Citizendium. He left due to some petty dispute with Sanger, and I left not wanting to be the only philosopher.

3. Sanger was unspeakably rude to many of the participants.

4. After he realised that it would be hard to attract experts, the bars were lowered and all sorts of strange pondlife registered.

Just my thoughts. Or am I wrong? Is crowdsourcing the only real way to create a comprehensive and reliable reference work?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Casliber

Group: Regulars

QUOTE(powercorrupts @ Fri 15th April 2011, 5:47am) *

QUOTE(Casliber @ Thu 14th April 2011, 2:20pm) *

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Thu 14th April 2011, 12:17am) *

QUOTE(Casliber @ Mon 11th April 2011, 6:47am) *
furthermore, many experts are not overly enthusiastic to write on their work topic in their free time...too much like...work really.
Hammer, meet nail. This is the gist of it.

I do write articles from time to time in my area of expertise... as advertising material, posted on my blog, my company website, or on topical discussion forums. Such articles are, of course, deliberately incomplete, because I want to leave the reader with the impression that I know what I'm talking about, but at the same time not give away so much information that people who read them and who have a need for the rest of the information will actually pay me to get it. If I write a full and complete article, the reader won't need my services, and I don't get anything for the exchange.

Wikipedia wants experts to give away for free what they already know is worth money, in some cases a great deal of money, and that's not a good deal for the expert. Citizendium offered the same bargain, and thus also got few takers. And Citizendium is not even remotely comparable to Wikipedia as a self-publication venue. It doesn't have anywhere near the reach.

Naaaah, maybe in your field, but not in mine. We tried to keep the schizophrenia article as trimmed down as possible to basic/broad stuff.......and it's still huge. The same can/could be done of most medical diagnoses and therapies. Nothing mystical about them really, knowing more about how psychotherapy works doesn't make it any less effective. The more folks know about alot of medical stuff the better

The article on schizophrenia is bound to be close to 'We'kipedia's heart! Perfecting coverage to the point of not favouring any particular aspects/angles (whether the coverage broad and basic or not) is the only way to handle these articles - but is that really what you mean I wonder? I expect not. Something stated in some context gets clumsily rewritten as a plain fact, and then is rubber-stamped by some internal 'cabal' along the route to Featured Status. It's the Wikipedia way.

Every WP medical article should have a serious disclaimer - and it would have to be at gun point for most of the idiotic WP elite to allow it. Depth of research is anathema to the WP ethos, but the twin evils (when at their extremes) of the pharmo's and the 'CAM' pedlars make many if not most of the medical subjects a nightmare. Ignorant machismo is so rife on WP that the untouchable henchmen like (guess who's back? If he ever left..) the COI-undisclosed Orangemarlin tend to get their "fuck balance.. get real!" extremist way, and the WP totally breaks down under the weight of anything that is inherently important to humankind.

The scary thing is the amount of people who defend making Featured Articles on all kinds of potentially misleading (but, fuck weight, 'verified' in some passingly 'med cabal' approved way) articles. Only pure stupidity can really explain this, other human frailties are incidental. WP is a magnet to stupidity, and those who think they are in 'control' of it all really are the stupidest of the lot, as they are not even in control of their own egos. As for medical reactions, when I think of schoolyard bullies like OM and witless bilge-farmers Sandy Georgia and Eubilides, I really do feel queasy to the point of feeling properly sick.

All I meant was limiting to lowest-common-denominator-free-broadly-written material WRT fee vis paid-subscriber-only content. You've taken an interesting spin on it, now can you desist with generalised hot air and narrow down to focus on some specific complaints? Feeling queasy? We can help you with some evidence-based effective antinausea medication....

QUOTE(powercorrupts @ Fri 15th April 2011, 5:55am) *

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Thu 14th April 2011, 6:40pm) *

Remember when Rush was just a band?

Jon (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)

Sadly yes. Are you talking amyl nitrate? I prefer logging in and blocking some fucker.

Damn my secret's out!

Oh right. Very funny with seeekirt admin account. Prove it then.
+Quote Post
powercorrupts

Group: Contributors

QUOTE(Casliber @ Fri 15th April 2011, 1:58pm) *

QUOTE(powercorrupts @ Fri 15th April 2011, 5:47am) *

QUOTE(Casliber @ Thu 14th April 2011, 2:20pm) *

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Thu 14th April 2011, 12:17am) *

QUOTE(Casliber @ Mon 11th April 2011, 6:47am) *
furthermore, many experts are not overly enthusiastic to write on their work topic in their free time...too much like...work really.
Hammer, meet nail. This is the gist of it.

I do write articles from time to time in my area of expertise... as advertising material, posted on my blog, my company website, or on topical discussion forums. Such articles are, of course, deliberately incomplete, because I want to leave the reader with the impression that I know what I'm talking about, but at the same time not give away so much information that people who read them and who have a need for the rest of the information will actually pay me to get it. If I write a full and complete article, the reader won't need my services, and I don't get anything for the exchange.

Wikipedia wants experts to give away for free what they already know is worth money, in some cases a great deal of money, and that's not a good deal for the expert. Citizendium offered the same bargain, and thus also got few takers. And Citizendium is not even remotely comparable to Wikipedia as a self-publication venue. It doesn't have anywhere near the reach.

Naaaah, maybe in your field, but not in mine. We tried to keep the schizophrenia article as trimmed down as possible to basic/broad stuff.......and it's still huge. The same can/could be done of most medical diagnoses and therapies. Nothing mystical about them really, knowing more about how psychotherapy works doesn't make it any less effective. The more folks know about alot of medical stuff the better

The article on schizophrenia is bound to be close to 'We'kipedia's heart! Perfecting coverage to the point of not favouring any particular aspects/angles (whether the coverage broad and basic or not) is the only way to handle these articles - but is that really what you mean I wonder? I expect not. Something stated in some context gets clumsily rewritten as a plain fact, and then is rubber-stamped by some internal 'cabal' along the route to Featured Status. It's the Wikipedia way.

Every WP medical article should have a serious disclaimer - and it would have to be at gun point for most of the idiotic WP elite to allow it. Depth of research is anathema to the WP ethos, but the twin evils (when at their extremes) of the pharmo's and the 'CAM' pedlars make many if not most of the medical subjects a nightmare. Ignorant machismo is so rife on WP that the untouchable henchmen like (guess who's back? If he ever left..) the COI-undisclosed Orangemarlin tend to get their "fuck balance.. get real!" extremist way, and the WP totally breaks down under the weight of anything that is inherently important to humankind.

The scary thing is the amount of people who defend making Featured Articles on all kinds of potentially misleading (but, fuck weight, 'verified' in some passingly 'med cabal' approved way) articles. Only pure stupidity can really explain this, other human frailties are incidental. WP is a magnet to stupidity, and those who think they are in 'control' of it all really are the stupidest of the lot, as they are not even in control of their own egos. As for medical reactions, when I think of schoolyard bullies like OM and witless bilge-farmers Sandy Georgia and Eubilides, I really do feel queasy to the point of feeling properly sick.

All I meant was limiting to lowest-common-denominator-free-broadly-written material WRT fee vis paid-subscriber-only content. You've taken an interesting spin on it, now can you desist with generalised hot air and narrow down to focus on some specific complaints? Feeling queasy? We can help you with some evidence-based effective antinausea medication....

QUOTE(powercorrupts @ Fri 15th April 2011, 5:55am) *

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Thu 14th April 2011, 6:40pm) *

Remember when Rush was just a band?

Jon (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)

Sadly yes. Are you talking amyl nitrate? I prefer logging in and blocking some fucker.

Damn my secret's out!

Oh right. Very funny with seeekirt admin account. Prove it then.

Master Casslibre, why would you cum here? Your Orgy of thieves is a frightening thing, feeding off the spent and the crushed.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Peter Damian   Why did Citizendium fail?  
Jon Awbrey   For answers to that, you might well review the amp...  
Eva Destruction   For answers to that, you might well review the am...  
Theanima   Plus, it had a ridiculous name... And "Wiki...  
Milton Roe   Plus, it had a ridiculous name... And "Wik...  
powercorrupts   [quote name='Jon Awbrey' post='272474' date='Sun ...  
Casliber   In this wonderful age of economic rationalism, the...  
Milton Roe   I speak of one who's had to nag and beg exper...  
Kelly Martin   furthermore, many experts are not overly enthusias...  
chrisoff   Agree completely with Casliber. Plus experts get...  
Casliber   Actually, six editors edited today...seems a bit b...  
Jon Awbrey   Way back when, I tried to sell Larry Sanger on the...  
Larry Sanger   One of the worst things Sanger did was to start C...  
Jon Awbrey   Proving once again that Denial is not just a river...  
powercorrupts   He still sees Citizendium in terms of having to ...  
thekohser   I asked Larry in 2006 whether I might come on boar...  
Emperor   Are there any plans to absorb CZ into Wikia?  
Cock-up-over-conspiracy   Give it a new look and re-market it as "The W...  
WikiWatch   Give it a new look and re-market it as "The ...  
chrisoff   Well, wikipedia is trying to become all academic, ...  
Milton Roe   Well, wikipedia is trying to become all academic,...  
Cock-up-over-conspiracy   Which they would do what with? Being seen to do so...  
Milton Roe   [quote name='Milton Roe' post='272717' date='Thu ...  
Casliber   furthermore, many experts are not overly enthusia...  
Milton Roe   The same can/could be done of most medical diagno...  
powercorrupts   [quote name='Kelly Martin' post='272668' date='Th...  
Jon Awbrey   Remember when Rush was just a band? Jon :P  
powercorrupts   Remember when Rush was just a band? Jon :P Sad...  
chrisoff   Oh, you mean like FAs? The most boringly written...  
Casliber   Oh, you mean like FAs? The most boringly writte...  
timbo   Wikipedia is like a bumblebee. You draw it up on p...  
Cock-up-over-conspiracy   It is not working. It is doing something, I grant ...  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)