FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Wikipedia-sponsored denial of service attack to this site, organized from #wikipedia IRC channel -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Wikipedia-sponsored denial of service attack to this site, organized from #wikipedia IRC channel, Info on illegal attack planned by Wikipedia users against this site
Locke85

Neophyte

Group: Contributors

I just wanted to suggest that we do more to weed out fake usernames that are either meant to be used as read only accounts (to get access to the pit and other places that are now or may in the future be only available to members) and accounts used for write access but only to post things that are all but trolling. I know the blatant troll accounts are immediately block as I have seen happen to admins who have tried to infiltrate this just to spam us but over IRC (#wikipedia on irc.freenode.net for those of you who are interested) I heard a discussion in regards to creating fake usernames specifically to spam this site and if nothing else to crowd the userlist with useless names with no posts.

This post has been edited by Locke85:
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Selina

Cat herder

Group: Staffy

Legal action will be taken against those who deliberately disrupt this website through spam denial-of-service attacks or otherwise.

I'm sure Daniel Brandt would love to help us match up IPs to names (although I can probably do most or all of it myself) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)

Deliberate vandalism to a website (forum or no) is punishable under international law or/as well as United States law including Title 18 of the U.S. Code to include the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act of 1986 and the National Information Infrastructure Protection Act.

Changed the topic title to something a bit more descriptive.

"The end may justify the means as long as there is something that justifies the end", eh?

It would be very much appreciated if you or anyone else could supply me or any other administrator with a log of that conversation, and /whois nickname (which shows IP) of the IRC usernames that said the incriminating things. Thank you anyone for any help. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Avillia

Group: Contributors

I am very doubtful that Wikipedia members will have anything close to the tools needed for fast paced flooding.
+Quote Post
Selina

Cat herder

Group: Staffy

QUOTE(Avillia @ Thu 25th May 2006, 4:21pm) *
I am very doubtful that Wikipedia members will have anything close to the tools needed for fast paced flooding.

You're joking, right? Cyde for one definitely has, just check his deletion log on Userboxes
In fact a lot of Wikipedia members make "bulk" scripts or programs for their personal use, like that recent changes monitor for example, or the one that reads hundreds of pages checking for spelling mistakes

Plus you have plenty of people like Alkivar who are well involved in the open-source/hacking/warez community
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)