FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
The destruction of Wikipedia by a better product -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The destruction of Wikipedia by a better product
D.A.F.

Unregistered

I am just wondering why insteed of criticizing Wikipedia on here and wasting human ressources we could not creat a true alternative? I am experienced with article editing and have many idea's on how to improve the concept of a free encyclopedia. An alternative would be great. I've read about citizendium and I think the concept is flawed, I've took a look at Fred Bauder project, the concept is also flawed, NPOV is the way to go. Many here are critical and have for sure good idea's and know what is wrong with Wikipedia, why not producing a better product? I'm serious and I know it'll take a huge server and it is expensive, but isen't there a way to collect money or something?

We should canalise all this energy and make something really constructive, I am not saying that we should stop criticising Wikipedia, but that we could build what we've hopped Wikipedia to be. Higher standard on everything, like minimal conditions before requesting adminship, better editorial policies. A better mediation process etc.

A better, more credible product will be what would destroy Wikipedia. If we could not improve it, we have to replace it with an overal better product.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Nathan

Retired

Group: Inactive
Member No.: 17

That is exactly the kind of thing I tried creating (and I called it "The Fair Community Encyclopedia"), but downloading the image dump would've been a huge expense so I had to scrap the idea entirely.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Derktar

WR Black Ops

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2,381

I'd definately be willing to pitch in some funds for any ideas that come along, I've always had an idea for some sort of broadcast or podcast of weekly wiki events with a recap of major developments. I think it would be great if Wikipedia Review could branch into other mediums to get the message out there to as many people as possible.
+Quote Post
thekohser

Group: Regulars

QUOTE(Xidaf @ Sun 12th August 2007, 12:41am) *

I am just wondering why insteed of criticizing Wikipedia on here and wasting human ressources we could not creat a true alternative? I am experienced with article editing and have many idea's on how to improve the concept of a free encyclopedia. An alternative would be great. I've read about citizendium and I think the concept is flawed, I've took a look at Fred Bauder project, the concept is also flawed, NPOV is the way to go. Many here are critical and have for sure good idea's and know what is wrong with Wikipedia, why not producing a better product? I'm serious and I know it'll take a huge server and it is expensive, but isen't there a way to collect money or something?

Here's the problem. If you're trying to produce a great encyclopedia, then you shouldn't be comparing your project to Wikipedia (which is a community-edited forum, not an encyclopedia), you should be looking at World Book, Encyclopedia Brittanica, and Encarta. Those are encyclopedias.

Furthermore, what exactly is "flawed" about Citizendium, in terms of trying to build an encyclopedia that has named, credentialed authors? I think Citizendium could really work, in the encyclopedia department.

What problem I think the next great project to compile information in a wiki form needs to solve is the puzzle of "motivation". What's the motivation of a contributor to "jump ship" from Wikipedia and spend time on another, smaller, not-Top-10 site? At Centiare.com, we hope that it's the fact that contributors keep all of their own ad and sales revenues on the pages they create. The "drawback", though, is that community editing is limited to entities that do not have standing in a court of law. So, Centiare is essentially going to get built out at the rate of about one or two articles per editor, for the rest of time. For example, if your name is Fred Johnson and you run a business World Investment Kingdom, Inc., you'd be welcome to create a Centiare Directory page about Fred Johnson and about World Investment Kingdom, Inc. If you wanted to create a page about Jimbo Wales, you certainly would be welcome to; but the day Jimbo Wales registers on Centiare, he gets to take control of "his" Directory article. Both Fred and Jimbo, however, are welcome to create, edit, and modify the pages about "rain", "Venus", and "fractions" -- since they aren't legal entities -- but they can't put advertising on those pages. (We are prepared to allow community-space ads, though, if our community gets large enough and we could implement a reputation system.)

Xidaf, I guess what I'm saying is, if you think Centiare could be a platform, be my guest to use it to "destroy Wikipedia". I just don't see what you're getting at that would make some alternative site "better" than Wikipedia?

Greg
+Quote Post
jch

Quickly running out of Cache

Group: Contributors

QUOTE(Nathan @ Sun 12th August 2007, 5:22am) *

That is exactly the kind of thing I tried creating (and I called it "The Fair Community Encyclopedia"), but downloading the image dump would've been a huge expense so I had to scrap the idea entirely.

Wouldn't actually running a site like that use far more bandwidth than just downloading the image dump?
+Quote Post
blissyu2

the wookie

Group: On Vacation
Member No.: 5

The first thing that needs to be done is to decide whether or not it is theoretically possible to do it. Many people say that it isn't. Citizendium is probably the best way to go about it, yet right now Citizendium looks to be a lost cause.

I mean, if you had Wikipedia, but without the secret admin structure, required everyone to log in in order to edit, got rid of "Check User" and instead had all admins being able to see all IPs all the time, and then did such things as encouraging actual experts in their fields, rather than banning them just because they are biased, and so forth, then it might be better. I mean there's a list of things that should be changed.

But this gets me to another thing.

Look at Encyclopaedia Dramatica for a moment. Okay, its not trying to replace Wikipedia (obviously), but look at their rules. Their rules are very much an improvement over Wikipedia.

1. All admins have CheckUser automatically - no sock puppets (or precious few, and they know who you are), and no fake sock puppet allegations.
2. They require all users to create an account - far less vandalism.
3. They have removed the option to "watch" pages, and you can't simply click to see someone's contributions - far less wikistalking, or actual stalking for that matter.
4. They don't have an "Article for Deletion" process. Instead, some admin puts a tag on a page to say that they want to delete it, you get x amount of time to try to convince them its worth keeping, or else they delete it. Simple. None of this stupid fighting and arguing over it. An admin decides, and you get a chance to fight your case with the admin.
5. People can't change the rules to suit themselves. Admins can contribute to it, but they don't just let anyone off the street change the rules and then subsequently do something against the rules, but now its not against the rules.

And then of course Citizendium has a few good ones too:

6. They don't index talk pages, or user pages, or user talk pages.
7. Anything accidentally bad and they delete it
8. Anything deliberately bad and you're banned. If in doubt, you're banned.

And they don't have a stupid Request for Comment, Request for Mediation and Request for Arbitration, all of which just create stupid arguments that ultimately end up as smear campaigns.

There is debate about whether or not you should be forced to use your real name. Citizendium does it, and it sounds nice, except that the problem then is that if they do something false, suddenly its got your name attached to it. And when I used it, they did something false. The thing is that over the internet, people are going to do that, anonymous or not, but it becomes more important then.

The question then is this - can an open source project create a real encyclopaedia over the internet? I have no doubt at all that a company, such as New World Encyclopaedia, CAN do it, because they are all capable of writing their own encyclopaedia. But can individuals do it? I don't think that they can.
+Quote Post
LamontStormstar

Postmaster

QUOTE(blissyu2 @ Sat 11th August 2007, 11:41pm) *

And then of course Citizendium has a few good ones too:

6. They don't index talk pages, or user pages, or user talk pages.
7. Anything accidentally bad and they delete it
8. Anything deliberately bad and you're banned. If in doubt, you're banned.

And they don't have a stupid Request for Comment, Request for Mediation and Request for Arbitration, all of which just create stupid arguments that ultimately end up as smear campaigns.

There is debate about whether or not you should be forced to use your real name. Citizendium does it, and it sounds nice, except that the problem then is that if they do something false, suddenly its got your name attached to it. And when I used it, they did something false. The thing is that over the internet, people are going to do that, anonymous or not, but it becomes more important then.

What's it mean, "They don't index talk pages, or user pages, or user talk pages." ??

Talking to the person, Request for Comment, Request for Mediation and Request for Arbitration having to be done in that order are only good among editors. When there's admins abusing an editor, the editor can't do anything.

Using your real name will get you real life harassment. That's what I've found.

This post has been edited by LamontStormstar:
+Quote Post
Viridae

Fat Cat

Wikipedia has something nothing else of its style does: Name recognition.
+Quote Post
Kato

dhd

QUOTE(blissyu2 @ Sun 12th August 2007, 7:41am) *

The question then is this - can an open source project create a real encyclopaedia over the internet?

No. The best it can produce is a vast heap of random, poorly written, transient information - crudely bolted together like some Frankenstein creature - which is damaging to the education of our children

QUOTE(Viridae @ Sun 12th August 2007, 12:05pm) *

Wikipedia has something nothing else of its style does: Name recognition.

And that name is becoming mud.

This post has been edited by Kato:
+Quote Post
blissyu2

the wookie

This question was asked soon after we started, and we decided after much discussion to not directly be involved in creating an alternative, but rather to analyse any alternatives. Right now, I think we could say that there are 3 major alternatives going around:

1) Wikinfo - like Wikipedia but with SPOV
2) Citizendium - like Wikipedia but with real names and hard to login
3) New World Encyclopedia wiki - A real encyclopedia making an online wiki version

We can say that Wikinfo has a major problem in that it then has shit articles created by any old idiot (see Grace Note's recent debacle as an example), and furthermore it still wipes stuff. It has been an abject failure, and only seems to still exist as something of a hobby.

Citizendium as we have discovered has the problem of encouraging real life harassment by using real life names, and still has many of the fundamental problems that Wikipedia has.

New World Encyclopedia wiki might work, and is our new best hope, but it hasn't opened yet.

Also I note that BBC created some version of a wiki encyclopedia, which seemed to work fairly well.
+Quote Post
Robster

"Community"? Really?

QUOTE(blissyu2 @ Sun 12th August 2007, 8:59am) *

Also I note that BBC created some version of a wiki encyclopedia, which seemed to work fairly well.

That'd be H2G2.

If I told you the motto of H2G2 was "Don't Panic", you'd probably figure out where the name came from. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)

The main difference is that at least some articles can only be edited by H2G2 staff. There is an attached conversation page where you can suggest changes... which doesn't always work well. There was an article that I suggested changes on in late 2005. They were just merged into the article in May 2007. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
blissyu2

the wookie

Well H2G2 seems to be relatively successful. It isn't trying to be an all-encompassing encyclopaedia, but for what it is trying to do it seems to be working. Come to think of it, WR hasn't done a full study on H2G2. Perhaps they should.
+Quote Post
D.A.F.

Unregistered

Citizendium is pushing to the other extrem, it won't survive and would lead to other excesses. Most of the stuff I contributed to were outside of my ''credentials'', I'm not a historian. Second, the subjects I was contributing to were too delicate, particularly the Armenian Genocide so I don't want my identity being revealed. Also Citizendium could suffer of elitist biases, I know it seem strange, but those working in the field are those who are prone to biases in the particular subject. Take a historian of the Turkish republic who has all the credentials and to write the Armenian Genocide article. There are several other concerns with Citizendium, but I will leave them down.

The idea of an encyclopedia which permit identity being kept secret is fine but with various modifications. Like you have to be logged to access talkpages. That visitors who are not logged can view the talkpage is a huge problem and attract bad faithed editors. You have to be logged to edit everything. You have to justify before editing the main everything you edit in the main, in the talkpage, and this before you edit the main. You have to prepare your justification and edit, and post them in an interval of 10 minutes, if you don't post the justification before, the edit of the main is blocked. No 3RR, reducing this to 1RR(more than that, the editor who would be reverting it is not editing in good faith) and this not on the editor but the version itself. This will kill meatpuppeting right away.

The policies on content, such as neutrality, should be expended with clear exemples of what to do and not to do, for those who can't grasp it and those who grasp it but don't respect them regardless. With very harsh, very harsh restrictions if they are not respected.

Administrators mendate is of three months(which should be renewed), and those who want to become administrators should have prior contribution to articles including a FA.

No arbitration committee, the arbitration committe acts more on the person than condtribution and is a punishment system than anything else.

I have many other idea's, but I think you get the picture.

QUOTE(thekohser @ Sun 12th August 2007, 1:54am) *

QUOTE(Xidaf @ Sun 12th August 2007, 12:41am) *

Here's the problem. If you're trying to produce a great encyclopedia, then you shouldn't be comparing your project to Wikipedia (which is a community-edited forum, not an encyclopedia), you should be looking at World Book, Encyclopedia Brittanica, and Encarta. Those are encyclopedias.

Furthermore, what exactly is "flawed" about Citizendium, in terms of trying to build an encyclopedia that has named, credentialed authors? I think Citizendium could really work, in the encyclopedia department.

What problem I think the next great project to compile information in a wiki form needs to solve is the puzzle of "motivation". What's the motivation of a contributor to "jump ship" from Wikipedia and spend time on another, smaller, not-Top-10 site? At Centiare.com, we hope that it's the fact that contributors keep all of their own ad and sales revenues on the pages they create. The "drawback", though, is that community editing is limited to entities that do not have standing in a court of law. So, Centiare is essentially going to get built out at the rate of about one or two articles per editor, for the rest of time. For example, if your name is Fred Johnson and you run a business World Investment Kingdom, Inc., you'd be welcome to create a Centiare Directory page about Fred Johnson and about World Investment Kingdom, Inc. If you wanted to create a page about Jimbo Wales, you certainly would be welcome to; but the day Jimbo Wales registers on Centiare, he gets to take control of "his" Directory article. Both Fred and Jimbo, however, are welcome to create, edit, and modify the pages about "rain", "Venus", and "fractions" -- since they aren't legal entities -- but they can't put advertising on those pages. (We are prepared to allow community-space ads, though, if our community gets large enough and we could implement a reputation system.)

Xidaf, I guess what I'm saying is, if you think Centiare could be a platform, be my guest to use it to "destroy Wikipedia". I just don't see what you're getting at that would make some alternative site "better" than Wikipedia?

Greg

+Quote Post
blissyu2

the wookie

In my experience, the only places that allow anonymous contributors (as in, no screen names) are places that are over-run with trolling and idiots. You don't necessarily need to know everyone's real names (and over the internet it can be dangerous) but you do need to be able to separate them from anyone else. I mean even WR forces people to have one account each and to use a screen name.
+Quote Post
Heat

Tenured

Name recognition only goes so far on the internet. If someone creates a better application or service and it reaches a critical mass it'll simply supersede Wikipedia.

Look at search engines, for instance. Yahoo was absolutely dominant a few years ago but who uses it anymore as a search engine? Does anyone even remember Aliweb (the first "search engine").

Wikipedia hit its peak, credibility wise, about a year ago. Since then their reputation has declined due to the accumulated rot of the Seigenthaler controversy, the Essjay affair and other hoaxes, goofs or major errors that now hit the media on a semi-regular basis. More and more universities are advising students not to use Wikipedia as a source and the media is less willing to do so as well. Reporters may look at a wikipedia article to give them a quick bearing on an obscure individual or event but only a journalist who is looking for a way to end their career would take Wikipedia as a final, authoritative source or would risk taking a "fact" published in Wikipedia at face value without checking it independently.

If Citizendium, for instance, can expand its contributor base and its size it won't be long before the media starts quoting it and that will in turn result in more contributors and more attention.

Wikipedia will either have to end its anonymity policy (which, in turn, will make it more difficult for lobbyists and people with an obvious conflict of interest to subvert it) or it will become as relevant in tomorrow's world as Usenet is today.

This post has been edited by Heat:
+Quote Post
Nathan

Retired

Group: Inactive
Member No.: 17

QUOTE(jch @ Sun 12th August 2007, 2:30am) *

Wouldn't actually running a site like that use far more bandwidth than just downloading the image dump?

Yes, eventually, but we were prepared to cross that bridge when we got there.
+Quote Post
Emperor

Postmaster

Nice thread Xidaf.

Why does everyone think that it's so expensive to start an online encyclopedia? Throwing up a wiki site costs hardly anything. Sure, expenses would spiral if it became successful, but you'd think at that stage it would be possible to figure something out. Have there ever been any online encyclopedias that were forced to fold because they couldn't meet expenses?

This post has been edited by Emperor:
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

Group: Contributors
From: My name it means nothing. My age it means less. The country I come from is called the Mid-West.
Member No.: 981

QUOTE(Nathan @ Sun 12th August 2007, 2:08pm) *

QUOTE(jch @ Sun 12th August 2007, 2:30am) *

Yes, eventually, but we were prepared to cross that bridge when we got there.

If a reformed encyclopedic project was launched it would need to address the same governance and social responsibility issues that bring criticism to WP. That would mean establishing an independent non-profit entity and a governing board would represent all significant stakeholders in the project. The Wiki-Crits of WR have earned a seat at this table but to be complete it would mean participation from the funding community, accountability/privacy advocates, academics, technology interests, business, civil and social agencies.

It would also take a credible degree of capacity in terms of administration and management, internal controls, technical abilities and financial resources.

I believe that this does not occur by redirecting our efforts away from criticism and toward the creation of a "constructive" project. it will occur, if at all, as we successfully criticize WP and draw resources, volunteers, "buzz" and support away from WP and toward the appropriate alternative.
+Quote Post
LamontStormstar

Postmaster

QUOTE(Robster @ Sun 12th August 2007, 7:43am) *

That'd be H2G2.

If I told you the motto of H2G2 was "Don't Panic", you'd probably figure out where the name came from. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)

The main difference is that at least some articles can only be edited by H2G2 staff. There is an attached conversation page where you can suggest changes... which doesn't always work well. There was an article that I suggested changes on in late 2005. They were just merged into the article in May 2007. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)

H2G2 had some useful stuff but then stopped being useful as it takes forever to add anything useful to it and so it pretty much doesn't get updated.

The main good feature is that it lets everyone make their own article of advice instead of people fighting.
+Quote Post
JoseClutch

Ãœber Member

Citizendium as we have discovered has the problem of encouraging real life harassment by using real life names, and still has many of the fundamental problems that Wikipedia has.

Is this the case - I hadn't heard anything, but I kind of lost interest when I got the impression the "Citizendium is censored to be family friendly" and "Conservapedia is censored to be family friendly" policies were about as similar as they look, although one enforced the biases of ignorant 40 year old white americans, and one enforced the bias of educated 40 year old white americans.

That said, I figured Citizendium had a lot of things right on fixing Wikipedia. No anonymous editing (just outing admins would be a diaster, outing everyone shouldn't be as bad), no tolerance for bullshit, versions needing to be "approved" before the hit public viewing all seem like the right approach. The "very difficult to sign up" thing is a bit of a handicap, but once (if) CItizendium gets going, I imagine it won't be so bad. Frankly, if they can steal a few more ex-Wikipedians, it should be alright - most of us can write a half-decent article on something from sources without much difficulty.

Frankly, people who think Wikipedia's on the way down are deluding themselves - replacing it with a better product is the only way it'll ever fail. I think there is potential - Sanger's come the closest I've seen - but the truth is, Wikipedia isn't popular because it has a good article on the United States, or biology, or semiconductors. It's popular because it covers things traditional encyclopedias don't - porn stars, inherently funny words, opera singers, the definite article, all your base and so on. Any attempt to build a "serious, dignified topics only" won't be able to steal enough of Wikipedia's market share to put a dent into it .

I dunno - as a current Wikipedian, I would like to see *everyone* disclose their real identities, have far less tolerance of bullshit and have the website display only "somehow approved" versions of articles. I think these would fix most of what's wrong with Wikipedia right now. All that would be left is that it takes up valuable time I should spend working on my thesis.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)