FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
World's foremost WP & WMF critics -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> General Discussion? What's that all about?

This subforum is for general discussion of Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects. For a glossary of terms frequently used in such discussions, please refer to Wikipedia:Glossary. For a glossary of musical terms, see here. Other useful links:

Akahele.orgWikipedia-WatchWikitruthWP:ANWikiEN-L/Foundation-L (mailing lists) • Citizendium forums

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> World's foremost WP & WMF critics
Rating  2
Vote for the critics
Who is the world's foremost critic of Wikipedia?
Jon Awbrey [ 2 ] ** [4.76%]
Daniel Brandt [ 5 ] ** [11.90%]
Stephen Colbert [ 5 ] ** [11.90%]
Seth Finkelstein [ 2 ] ** [4.76%]
Joe Hazelton [ 1 ] ** [2.38%]
Carl Hewitt [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Oliver Kamm [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Andrew Keen [ 3 ] ** [7.14%]
Gregory Kohs [ 4 ] ** [9.52%]
Barry Kort [ 3 ] ** [7.14%]
Jaron Lanier [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Rachel Marsden [ 1 ] ** [2.38%]
Kelly Martin [ 4 ] ** [9.52%]
Cade Metz [ 1 ] ** [2.38%]
Larry Sanger [ 8 ] ** [19.05%]
Stacy Schiff [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
John Seigenthaler [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Owen Thomas [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Other not listed (please cite your selection in a post) [ 3 ] ** [7.14%]
Who is the world's foremost critic of the Wikimedia Foundation?
Jon Awbrey [ 1 ] ** [2.38%]
Daniel Brandt [ 6 ] ** [14.29%]
Stephen Colbert [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Seth Finkelstein [ 11 ] ** [26.19%]
Joe Hazelton [ 1 ] ** [2.38%]
Carl Hewitt [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Oliver Kamm [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Andrew Keen [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Gregory Kohs [ 13 ] ** [30.95%]
Barry Kort [ 2 ] ** [4.76%]
Jaron Lanier [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Rachel Marsden [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Kelly Martin [ 1 ] ** [2.38%]
Cade Metz [ 1 ] ** [2.38%]
Larry Sanger [ 2 ] ** [4.76%]
Stacy Schiff [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
John Seigenthaler [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Owen Thomas [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Other not listed (please cite your selection in a post) [ 4 ] ** [9.52%]
Total Votes: 84
Guests cannot vote 
thekohser

Group: Regulars

Note that there are two questions in this poll. One about critics of Wikipedia, and the other about critics of the Wikimedia Foundation.

Note that "foremost" could be described as the "most famous person" who criticizes Wikipedia or the Wikimedia Foundation. Or, "foremost" could be described as the "most dedicated critic", regardless of fame. Or, it could easily be described as the "most effective or influential critic". How you choose is up to you.

The voting will remain open until the end of Sunday, April 3, 2001.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
It's the blimp, Frank

Ãœber Member

We're off to a bad start insofar as people are not citing their "other" selections in a post.
+Quote Post
Tarc

Fat Cat

Hazelton? Lulz. That's like looking at a list of famous scientists and seeing "Billy, built s paper mache volcano for the 5th grade science fair" in between Newton and Einstein.

You might as well list Jaraxle and Willy, if the bar is set so low.

+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(It's the blimp, Frank @ Thu 24th March 2011, 1:27pm) *

We're off to a bad start insofar as people are not citing their "other" selections in a post.

That's probably some statistician in London. It's an outlier... at least until his other accounts get a chance to sign in and vote. For obvious reasons, he can't cite who his "other" choice would be.
+Quote Post
powercorrupts

Group: Contributors

Isn't using the qualifier "best of this group" perhaps a little better than asking for the "World's foremost"? Surely that would be the only way most people can honestly vote, the world being a big place and not quite yet 100% internet/Wikipedia friendly, alas. Some links and tips would be useful at least, followed by the 'vote' at the end of the digestion period. We all know Gregory Kohs of course, but to vote for the bestest 'in the world' you have to have knowledge of the whole field surely.

Unfortunately I think many new people to WR could think this poll is tongue in cheek. (though regulars will know it is serious of course).

+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(powercorrupts @ Thu 24th March 2011, 4:20pm) *

Isn't using the qualifier "best of this group" perhaps a little better than asking for the "World's foremost"? Surely that would be the only way most people can honestly vote, the world being a big place and not quite yet 100% internet/Wikipedia friendly, alas. Some links and tips would be useful at least, followed by the 'vote' at the end of the digestion period. We all know Gregory Kohs of course, but to vote for the bestest 'in the world' you have to have knowledge of the whole field surely.

Unfortunately I think many new people to WR could think this poll is tongue in cheek. (though regulars will know it is serious of course).

I disagree with just about every trifling comment you just made. Why do you need "links and tips"? The whole Internet is out there, waiting to answer any of the questions you might have about any of these leading critics. If you feel that a particularly strong candidate was left out of the mix, open your mouth. Man, you are annoying, Mike.
+Quote Post
Cock-up-over-conspiracy

Now censored by flckr.com and who else ... ???

Isn't there a category for the cockiest critic of the WP and Wikipedia Mother Fuckers?

That is what WMF stands for, init?
+Quote Post
thekohser

Only 14 people have voted? This site must be dying.
+Quote Post
DollyD

Neophyte

QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 24th March 2011, 4:34pm) *

The voting will remain open until the end of Sunday, April 3, 2001.

QUOTE(thekohser @ Fri 25th March 2011, 4:44pm) *

It's over 30 people now. Maybe the others missed the cut off date for voting? Luckily, I have a handy time machine. (I voted for you)
+Quote Post
Detective

QUOTE(DollyD @ Fri 25th March 2011, 9:01pm) *

It's over 30 people now. Maybe the others missed the cut off date for voting? Luckily, I have a handy time machine. (I voted for you)

Everyone gets two votes so only half as many people have voted as you think.

The trouble with this poll is that few people here know about the extremely eminent people who have complained to the WMF and Jimbo personally, and who voice their complaints to their peers. By some criteria they are far foremore (sic) than anyone listed here, but as they have not gone onto the Internet with their views, they are 9as far as the average WR| punter knows) non-existent.

Nor is there any way to vote in one half and abstain in the other, as there was in the Dick of Distinction poll. Of course, HK is a dab hand at designing survey questionnaires.

This post has been edited by Detective:
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(Detective @ Fri 25th March 2011, 5:30pm) *

he trouble with this poll is that few people here know about the extremely eminent people who have complained to the WMF and Jimbo personally, and who voice their complaints to their peers. By some criteria they are far foremore (sic) than anyone listed here.

Do tell, Detective! Or, are you just speculating? "Extremely eminent"? That sounds like maybe someone high up in government, like Dr. Charles Gutteridge or someone like that?
+Quote Post
Detective

QUOTE(thekohser @ Fri 25th March 2011, 9:38pm) *

Do tell, Detective! Or, are you just speculating? "Extremely eminent"? That sounds like maybe someone high up in government, like Dr. Charles Gutteridge or someone like that?

No, I'm not speculating. Nor am I stupid enough to betray my sources by revealing names.
+Quote Post
LessHorrid vanU

Devils Advocaat

QUOTE(thekohser @ Fri 25th March 2011, 4:44pm) *

Or there are a lot of people studiously researching all available media and historical databases because someone - perhaps absentmindedly, if we are to be generous - required people to name the World's (is that a proper noun, and if so what constitutes "the World"?) foremost WP & WMF critics... It is a tall order. It may have been easier if the question was posed as, "who out of the following individuals, who have been referenced within these pages recently, do you believe are the foremost WP & WMF critic", but instead we must determine who is and note accordingly.

I can't be bothered, and am pretty certain that I am on ignore on a lot of peoples options, but I may have opined a vote for... Kelly; but only because it might wind her up (and I think she was rude to me, once, long ago, about something.) However, since it is not about simple belief and preference my opinion must remain unknown.
+Quote Post
DollyD

Neophyte

QUOTE(Detective @ Fri 25th March 2011, 9:30pm) *

QUOTE(DollyD @ Fri 25th March 2011, 9:01pm) *

Everyone gets two votes so only half as many people have voted as you think.

Ah, yes. I see that now.
+Quote Post
Cock-up-over-conspiracy

Now censored by flckr.com and who else ... ???

QUOTE(Detective @ Fri 25th March 2011, 9:30pm) *
Nor is there any way to vote in one half and abstain in the other, as there was in the Dick of Distinction poll. Of course, HK is a dab hand at designing survey questionnaires.

There could have been a better turn out if the category was Cock of Distinction.
+Quote Post
Gruntled

Quite an unusual member

Group: On Vacation

We should of course have had a preliminary discussion where people could have suggested names. For example, Mr Kohs would doubtless have wished to draw attention to this important thread, which clearly refers to a critic of major significance. Or don't German critics count?
+Quote Post
CharlotteWebb

Postmaster General

QUOTE(Gruntled @ Sat 26th March 2011, 10:09pm) *

We should of course have had a preliminary discussion where people could have suggested names. For example, Mr Kohs would doubtless have wished to draw attention to this important thread, which clearly refers to a critic of major significance. Or don't German critics count?

Hey Mikey, shut the actual fuck up already. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(Gruntled @ Sat 26th March 2011, 6:09pm) *

We should of course have had a preliminary discussion where people could have suggested names.

Well, "we" did have a preliminary discussion, for a couple of days. Maybe you didn't see it.
+Quote Post
Doc glasgow

Wikipedia:The Sump of All Human Knowledge

Member No.: 90

I notice Danny Wool was for some reason omitted from foremost critic of the WMF. Pity, I think he's have stopped the Gregory Kohs self-glorification train in its tracks.

Greg is one of the most persistent critics of the WMF, but unlike Wool, he's yet to land a punch. They actually had to put out press releases disputing Wool's allegations.
+Quote Post
Gruntled

Quite an unusual member

Group: On Vacation

QUOTE(thekohser @ Sun 27th March 2011, 2:35am) *

QUOTE(Gruntled @ Sat 26th March 2011, 6:09pm) *

We should of course have had a preliminary discussion where people could have suggested names.

Well, "we" did have a preliminary discussion, for a couple of days. Maybe you didn't see it.

I have no doubt that you, "Charlotte", Timothy and the rest of the Cabal had a secret converstion from which most people were excluded. I'm contrasting that with the way HK runs the "Dick of Distinction" vote, where people aren't excluded.

QUOTE(Doc glasgow @ Sun 27th March 2011, 8:49am) *

I notice Danny Wool was for some reason omitted from foremost critic of the WMF. Pity, I think he's have stopped the Gregory Kohs self-glorification train in its tracks.

Oh dear, Mike! No doubt Greg and "Charlotte" will swiftly tell you off for saying that and accuse you of being Lilburne or Zoloft.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)