FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
The Undertow -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Help

This forum is for discussing specific Wikipedia editors, editing patterns, and general efforts by those editors to influence or direct content in ways that might not be in keeping with Wikipedia policy. Please source your claims and provide links where appropriate. For a glossary of terms frequently used when discussing Wikipedia and related projects, please refer to Wikipedia:Glossary.

> The Undertow, Coridal Request
the_undertow

Played by the ConArbtists

Group: Contributors

So I'm asking for help from moderators, or administrators of this board, but even contact with those who have been long-time members, it has lead to the notion that my best bet for result would be to post to a forum.

For those who were not around five years ago, not much will make sense. I was very defiant, very standoffish, and difficult.

As an admin I was very active in BLP, even proposing the crazy notion that those who are living, regardless of notability, should simply be able to opt out of a Wikipedia article.

I also have a bit of infamy for unblocking Moulton, resulting in my first ban. As many would have hoped, I have moved on. I no longer edit; no longer spend copious amounts of time on Wikipedia. I am married, and have a career.

Four years ago I became a revenue agent for the government and a thread http://wikipediareview.com/index.php?showtopic=26748 nearly buried me. However, I survived and moved on. When I started dating the love of my life, the same thread came up, as she read everything I had ever posted here, never having heard of WP or WR. She did her due diligence. A google search of my name puts this thread between the first and fourth result; trumping 38 years of things I have accomplished. Most of you would know this as "UNDUE."

A year ago, an admin had the thread de-indexed. As of now, I am again being scrutinized as I start my own endeavor. As a former government agent, I left a career, because I wanted to be part of something better. I became a field auditor, auditing only government municipalities. I sobered up, got married, and then moved towards taxation, as my Master's is in Taxation.

As I'm finishing my busy season, I'm focused on my family. My now wife, married me despite the threads, after long talks about WP and WR and who I was then and who I aspire to be. I gave up the drink and the smoke to work and to play.

While there are some, who justifiably believe that because I signed my full name, that I should be accountable for my actions, trust me when I say that I am. I have many regrets, but I don't regret everything I've done on WP or on WR. Everything stupid I had done was fueled by anger and alcohol. I was not unlike most editors at the time. Take alcohol out of the equation, and editing was not fun. Take anger out of the equation, and well, you have this: https://www.loom.com/s/384cf6aca96dd6756ac3...aafb4e198c43d3d

I realize that the thread in question will not be deleted, so all I ask is that I am able to redact my last name. It is preventing me from moving forward with my own clientele, mortgage lenders (yes kids, it does affect everything), and even my license as a CPA.

I do understand we are all accountable for our actions. I have done many stupid things in real-life; so many I could write a novel. But I have been able to move on because the stain is internal. The Internet, however, holds on to the most minute of grudges.

As we move into a "social media" world, not only do we become less social, but our main instrument in which to judge is Google. And at the moment, Google doesn't care that I am married. Google doesn't care that I donate time and money to the ASPCA. It doesn't care that I move forward, nor that I do not edit Wikipedia. It doesn't care that I was so appalled with the government that I filed a suit that forever changed the way employees are treated. Google doesn't care that I was a senior for a Non-profit that rescues 700 children a year from domestic abuse. Google doesn't care about me, in particular. Google produces the aforementioned thread because Google only has access to things in which I gave it.

All I ask is that my last name be redacted so Google could start caring about the things I'm doing, instead of the one time - that one single moment in time, when I was desperate, and drinking, and used my full name, in one thread, on one website, in one moment of time.

Clearly I would like the thread deleted, but I understand if the board's ethos is that of posterity. I only ask that I am able to redact my last name, so Google can take its course, and I no longer have this hanging over my head.

Regards,
Chip
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)