FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Emails from Durova -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Emails from Durova, I have a theory that I would like to test...
LessHorrid vanU

Devils Advocaat

Group: Regulars

Following Moulton's comment that he was in contact with Durova by email - that suddenly came to an abrupt halt - I want to test a little theory that I have had in the back of my mind for a little while; how many Wikipedians that read/use this board have received an email from Durova (or any of the Cabal) just the once (or a very few times) - especially if it commented on a situation or asked a question that could easily have been done on a talkpage? I have received such an email...

I am no internet/computer expert - but my brother is. I have been told that there is software available that can obtain the underlying ip from emails. An alternative to Checkuser, as long as you can get an email...?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

Group: Contributors
Member No.: 3,670

If you view the headers on an E-Mail it typically shows the IP of origin. (G-Mail is a notable exception. Durova uses G-Mail.)
+Quote Post
Poetlister

Poetlister from Venus

Group: Inactive

QUOTE(LessHorrid vanU @ Fri 21st December 2007, 9:14pm) *

I have been told that there is software available that can obtain the underlying ip from emails. An alternative to Checkuser, as long as you can get an email...?

Some e-mail systems, notably Gmail, don't disclose the originating IP. By a strange coincidence, most admins use Gmail.
+Quote Post
SenseMaker

Following Moulton's comment that he was in contact with Durova by email - that suddenly came to an abrupt halt - I want to test a little theory that I have had in the back of my mind for a little while; how many Wikipedians that read/use this board have received an email from Durova (or any of the Cabal) just the once (or a very few times) - especially if it commented on a situation or asked a question that could easily have been done on a talkpage? I have received such an email...

I am no internet/computer expert - but my brother is. I have been told that there is software available that can obtain the underlying ip from emails. An alternative to Checkuser, as long as you can get an email...?

There are many ways to do an informal check user on someone. Emails work okay, images work great even if they are just embedded in WR.
+Quote Post
Oracle

Why would one desire to geolocate a wikipedia editor?

O
+Quote Post
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 275

Uh, forgive me for asking the obvious question: Why would anyone want to know Durova's IP address? We know her name, and that she lives in the San Diego area...?

I would have to assume that she'd never use non-Gmail addresses to browbeat people. As for sockpuppeting, or having a member account here on WR, she'd almost certainly be using Tor proxies for something like that, right? Or are we assuming that her general tendency towards incompetence combined with overconfidence extends to IP address usage too?
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

Member No.: 3,670

One reason that comes to mind is the reason Durova put forward -- to match up a suspected sock puppet with an editor known by another moniker.
+Quote Post
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 275

QUOTE(Oracle @ Fri 21st December 2007, 3:48pm) *

I think what they're saying is that if you got a nasty e-mail from someone, and you suspected it was, say, Durova using a throwaway free-mail address, it might help you eliminate other possibilities if you could geolocate the IP to a particular city or region. Hopefully nobody is advocating that attempts be made to physically locate people, at least those who haven't engaged in such behavior.

What I'm saying is that people doing real "harassment" aren't going to be that careless when something like Tor is available. Just as I would hope that people who are under legitimate threat of same would also take advantage of Tor, where appropriate.
+Quote Post
LessHorrid vanU

Devils Advocaat

QUOTE(Moulton @ Fri 21st December 2007, 9:19pm) *

If you view the headers on an E-Mail it typically shows the IP of origin. (G-Mail is a notable exception. Durova uses G-Mail.)

Well, I told you I am not that net savvy... (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif) Still, the theory holds that there is a suspicion that unsolicited emails that need a reply (or the well used request by certain admins when in dispute with an editor, "Please email me.") are a way of obtaining ip addys that might be matched with the contributions of other non-registered accounts.

I would still like to see if there are others who have received such mails.
+Quote Post
KamrynMatika

Ãœber Member

I've been contacted once or twice by JzG on an account of mine about fairly trivial things that could have been asked on a talk page. I found it quite odd that he preferred email when there was no obvious reason to use it.

If he was using it to get my IP he was disappointed; I use Gmail.

This post has been edited by KamrynMatika:
+Quote Post
Firsfron of Ronchester

Member No.: 1,715

QUOTE(Oracle @ Fri 21st December 2007, 2:48pm) *

O

Why is a WHOIS link attached to every IP user's page? Geolocating a Wikipedia editor isn't a new concept.
+Quote Post
LessHorrid vanU

Devils Advocaat

QUOTE(Firsfron of Ronchester @ Fri 21st December 2007, 10:04pm) *

O

Why is a WHOIS link attached to every IP user's page? Geolocating a Wikipedia editor isn't a new concept.

I am not referring to ip editors, I am referring to psuedo-anonymous registered editors - the ones that Wikipedia needs the services of a checkuser to establish the underlying ip (unless you manage to get an email).
+Quote Post
Oracle

QUOTE(Firsfron of Ronchester @ Fri 21st December 2007, 10:04pm) *

O

Monsieur Somer parle mon attention au sujet de ce meilleur qui I.

Just wanted to respectfully caution regarding the application of this old concept.

O
+Quote Post
AB

'...I will be generous and give you a week.'

QUOTE(Oracle @ Fri 21st December 2007, 10:16pm) *
Just wanted to respectfully caution regarding the application of this old concept.

Caution. Caution is good.

This post has been edited by AB:
+Quote Post
Oracle

QUOTE(AB @ Fri 21st December 2007, 10:24pm) *

QUOTE(Oracle @ Fri 21st December 2007, 10:16pm) *

Caution. Caution is good.

Seriously, what would you do if, hypothetically speaking, someone were to
explain exactly how s/he intended to obtain your identity, and threaten to
find you and make you pay if you did not meet certain conditions, like, oh,
say, deleting all your posts from WR and never commenting on WP anywhere
ever again?

Oh I don't know. Perhaps I might, now this is hypothetical, might hope this person were in the same jurisdiction as I am in, and let the folks in my jurisdiction who are in charge of law enforcement do the geolocation. In my jurisdiction, the scenario your describe would not be legal. Of course, this is all hypothetical.

O
+Quote Post
Nathan

Retired

Member No.: 17

QUOTE(Poetlister @ Fri 21st December 2007, 4:19pm) *

I have been told that there is software available that can obtain the underlying ip from emails. An alternative to Checkuser, as long as you can get an email...?

Some e-mail systems, notably Gmail, don't disclose the originating IP. By a strange coincidence, most admins use Gmail.

Exactly. As long as you use Gmail's site, it won't stamp the e-mail with an originating IP.
+Quote Post
Disillusioned Lackey

Unregistered

I don't think Durova uses email to garner IPs.

I think she uses emails to create "evidence of harassment".

What she does: she talks a bit, then she suddenly gets really weird on the other party, tells them to stop emailing her, and when they send the inevitable, normal email saying "hey, what is up and why did you send that email", she can run back and squeal harassment, like the lonely emotionally stunted-at-schoolgirl-age person she is.

Then she emails the "evidence of harassment" to as many people as possible. No one gives a whit, so the "evidence" is taken seriously (because no one wants to read this ridiculously large pack of evidence). And until the "!!" debacle, no one was wise to her little dick-y games. And whoeer she'd thus targeted was DOOMED.

I know three people she's done that to. Which probably means she's done it to 50 people. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/rolleyes.gif)

I've pondered whether she does this out of intentional viciousness. But really, I think she needs attention so badly, and she's paranoid anyways, so she takes things and completely blows them out of proportion. And she winds up creating all sorts of problems for people. In the end, herself, of course, but there are tons of bodies strewn in the wake of her nutty hobby.

If she had a real life, and a real family, none of this would be an issue, of course. Durova is incredibly lonely.

This post has been edited by Disillusioned Lackey:
+Quote Post
Disillusioned Lackey

Unregistered

QUOTE(Poetlister @ Fri 21st December 2007, 3:19pm) *

Using Gmail is just good sense. For example, if you are writing from work, and you want your email being sent to be REALLY private, so some whack job can't randomly decide to hassle you via your employer (happens often). Or maybe you've been emailing some person on ebay who might be an axe murderer and decide to "off" you, because the DVD-ROM you sold them was the wrong color.

Of course, if you are an abusive administrator, it makes even more sense. But many abusive administrators use their real names, and have no qualms about behaving badly. This is my main argument against the "real names will solve everything" theory.

This post has been edited by Disillusioned Lackey:
+Quote Post
Miltopia

I'm sure Durova hasn't posted here or anything from her home IP. Has anyone ever seen evidence of incompetence from her, other than the social variety? She does work in SEO after all; she must have some technical knowledge, even if she comes off as just a paranoid biatch.
+Quote Post
Disillusioned Lackey

Unregistered

QUOTE(Miltopia @ Tue 25th December 2007, 2:13am) *

I'm sure Durova hasn't posted here or anything from her home IP. Has anyone ever seen evidence of incompetence from her, other than the social variety? She does work in SEO after all; she must have some technical knowledge, even if she comes off as just a paranoid biatch.

Pfff. Durova didnt work in SEO. She just got off on writing articles about how they should kiss her feet. I'd guess she works in a computer company which does naval or military contracts.

Incompetent. Rofl. All over. And over and over. Please.

All on top of being a super hysteric.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)