FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
“Wikipedia Is Sexist” -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Discussions in this subforum are hidden from search engines.

However, they are not hidden from automobile engines, including the newer, more "environmentally-friendly" electric and hybrid engines. Also, please note that this subforum is meant to be used for discussion of the actual biographical articles themselves; more generalized discussions of BLP policy should be posted in the General Discussion or Bureaucracy forums.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> â€œWikipedia Is Sexist”, Elisa • The French Exit
Jon Awbrey

τὰ δέ μοι παθήματα μαθήματα γέγονε

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5,619

QUOTE(Elisa Gabbert @ 22 Feb 2011)

Wikipedia has been on my mind lately, after hearing the statistic passed around a week or so ago that something like 87% of Wikipedia contributors/editors are male. This didn't surprise me in the least, and initially made no impression on me whatsoever. A few days later the obvious consequences of this dawned on me: Wikipedia is sexist. Of course this affects the content. Of course this bias trickles down and bleeds into the articles in subtle and not-so-subtle ways. I wouldn't want to read a magazine if only 1 out of 10 of its editors/contributors were women. Especially if the whole point of the magazine was to present objective, unbiased information in an encyclopedic fashion.

Maybe I'll boycott Wikipedia.

— Elisa Gabbert • 22 Feb 2011

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

Group: Regulars

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Wed 23rd February 2011, 1:30pm) *

Wikipedia has been on my mind lately, after hearing the statistic passed around a week or so ago that something like 87% of Wikipedia contributors/editors are male. This didn't surprise me in the least, and initially made no impression on me whatsoever. A few days later the obvious consequences of this dawned on me: Wikipedia is sexist. Of course this affects the content. Of course this bias trickles down and bleeds into the articles in subtle and not-so-subtle ways. I wouldn't want to read a magazine if only 1 out of 10 of its editors/contributors were women. Especially if the whole point of the magazine was to present objective, unbiased information in an encyclopedic fashion.

Wikipedia will miss you, Sweetpea. They can tell when you're reading, you know.

I wonder if Elisa, upon finding that 87% of the writers of some publication were WOMEN would also have concluded that it ipso facto it too would have to be "sexist." Probably not. But if she did, she'd probably be right. Depending on your definiton of "sexist." My own preview as to what WP would look like if it were edited by 87% women, is MSN News.

The top 5 stories on today's MSN News:

1. Search: Where Is the 'Next Top Model' Now? Bing: See some of Tyra's fierce shots Bing: How to look like a top model. Watch: Girl rocks Lady Gaga’s latest hit. Video: Cutest Pledge of Allegiance you’ll ever hear

2. Check Out the View: Ultracool Glass Houses.

3. 5-Year-Old Knows What She Wants. Watch: You want to marry this kid when she grows up? Your heart might be broken until she gets one thing first. (Wait for it: she says she needs a job, first. How adorable (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/wub.gif) )

4. Easy & Smart Ways to Whittle Your Waistline: 15 tips to start losing weight fast. Snap decisions that can save you pounds.

5. Latest: Clampdown in Libya & More Protesters

COMMENT: Well, we made it to world events by number 5, at least. This is MSN on estrogen. I suspect this would be WP also, on estrogen. So, what kind of sexism is it, that you want to see? Fewer Powerrangers and Starwars, and more smart style information and children doing cute things? What's the frigging difference?
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Wed 23rd February 2011, 5:26pm) *

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Wed 23rd February 2011, 1:30pm) *

Wikipedia will miss you, Sweetpea. They can tell when you're reading, you know.

And you'll know when we're reading you, too …

Jon (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ph34r.gif)
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

Just so everyone understands what's going on here —

A blogger writes a blog post that is critical of Wikipedia, and the very next day our old fiend Fred Bauder ups and starts a BLP on her …

Now, maybe she doesn't know it yet, but that's a hostile act and a threat, not a compliment, and she's just lost her freedom and her peace of mind to a Blog Of Masked Identity Sources (BOMIS). If she knew even a tithe of what we know, she'd immediately seek out a sympathetic admin, get herself declared WP:Unnotable, and continue to seek her notability and her salvation in the Real World.

But will she wise up in time ???

Jon (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Thu 24th February 2011, 10:30am) *

Just so everyone understands what's going on here —

A blogger writes a blog post that is critical of Wikipedia, and the very next day our old fiend Fred Bauder ups and starts a BLP on her …

Boy, what a nice illustration that BLP is essentially a punitive act, and WP's main weapon of punishment for "RL" people in meat-space.

Perhaps this part of the thread should be annexed, as maybe somebody could point it out to anybody left at ArbCom who has any ethics left, and get Bauder banned.

On second thought, that's probably a waste of time. Just by inspection of my premises. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ermm.gif)
+Quote Post
Text

Group: Contributors

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey)

And in return, someone should tell her why Bauder isn't a lawyer anymore, assuming those are true facts and not just random stuff made for laughs...

This post has been edited by Text:
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(Text @ Thu 24th February 2011, 1:43pm) *

...not just random stuff made for laughs...

Yeah, state supreme courts intervene in random people's lives, just for giggles.
+Quote Post
Text

Yeah, state supreme courts intervene in random people's lives, just for giggles.

www.saisathyasai.com/wikipedia/fred bauder court record.html

Ok then
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

Now I know what you're thinking — How come someone as notable as Fred Bauder does not have his own Wikipedia Biography? Just for starters, he is the founder of his very own wiki-style internet encyclopedia, not to mention being a major figure on Wikipedia itself.

If you do search Wikipedia for information, you get only this — Fred Bauder (T-H-L-K-D)

Curious, no?

+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

Bring back the guttersnipes!

Member No.: 6,696

That's some really nasty dirty pool by Fred. The article is fairly clearly crafted to identify her as a search engine optimizer, a category of people that is widely regarded as evil by the people who live in wikispace. This is pretty much as close to being a hatchet job without actually waving the hatchet.

In any responsible organization, this article would not have been published, not without a "living persons" review that would have reduced it to a few telegraphic phrases ("Internet marketer, blogger, and poet residing in Texas" is really all you need) or omitted it entirely. However, Wikipedia is not a responsible organization.
+Quote Post
carbuncle

Fat Cat

Here's a suggestion for Gabbert - go here; post about this episode in the comments (with a link to your blog post, of course); wait for your biography to disappear.
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

I've moved this to the BLP Forum in hopes of getting attention from someone who can do the decent thing about it.

Jon Awbrey
+Quote Post
HRIP7

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Thu 24th February 2011, 11:12pm) *

I've moved this to the BLP Forum in hopes of getting attention from someone who can do the decent thing about it.

Jon Awbrey

I am not sure how Gabbert views the prospect of having a Wikipedia biography, but I am pretty sure that Fred didn't do it out of malice.
+Quote Post
Kevin

Member No.: 10,522

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Fri 25th February 2011, 9:12am) *

Jon Awbrey

It's up to the reasonable folk at WP now - Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Elisa_Gabbert
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

QUOTE(HRIP7 @ Thu 24th February 2011, 6:28pm) *

Jon Awbrey

I am not sure how Gabbert views the prospect of having a Wikipedia biography, but I am pretty sure that Fred didn't do it out of malice.

I always “love” the hypocrisy of Anonymous Cowards who write that kind of BS.

No doubt the AC/BS-er in question is operating under the ludicrous fantasy that he and his whole gang of AC/BS bloggers are some kind of Free Anonymous Press For All Purposes (FAPFAP).

Oh …

Nevermind …

Jon (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

Could a global mod please move this thread back to the Blog Forum?

Or maybe even General Discussion?

There's an ongoing discussion on the original topic that I probably should have left in place.

I can't tell how things will turn out with the BLP issue — we all know how that goes — but I'll sort out the BLP-related posts from the Sexism-related posts as we go.

Thanks,

Jon (IMG:http://wikipediareview.com/stimg9x0b4fsr2/1/folder_post_icons/icon9.gif)
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

Elisa,

Returning to the topic at the head of the page, and speaking on behalf of the entire male moiety, I feel a need to clear up a couple of points.

Wikipediot Culture is not male culture, it is not even boy culture — it is obnoxious punk culture. It is simply a sad but perhaps hormonally conditioned fact that adolescent males are over-represented in obnoxious punk culture.

As a result, it is not just the larger share of women who find themselves alienated by Wikipediot Culture — pretty much anyone but obnoxious punks will eventually become alienated by it.

— Jon Awbrey • 24 Feb 2011 (10:00 PM)

+Quote Post
Sylar

QUOTE(HRIP7 @ Thu 24th February 2011, 11:28pm) *

Jon Awbrey

lol It's funny that people are this dumb.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

QUOTE(Sylar @ Thu 24th February 2011, 10:18pm) *

QUOTE(HRIP7 @ Thu 24th February 2011, 11:28pm) *

Jon Awbrey

lol It's funny that people are this dumb.

Yes it is. Since if somebody ever puts up a bio of Fred, I am pretty sure HE will discover the malice. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/happy.gif)
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Fri 25th February 2011, 12:25am) *

Since if somebody ever puts up a bio of Fred, I am pretty sure HE will discover the malice. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/happy.gif)

Well, it's been done already — Fred Bauder (T-H-L-K-D) — but if you're Well-Protected with Wiki-Prophylaxis, you can get yer truth cleaned.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)