FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Kurt...! -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Kurt...!, going after Kelly Martin's record
Shalom

Ãœber Member

Group: Regulars

Whenever I see Kurt say something disruptive or funny on Wikipedia, I sometimes laugh and say out loud, in a low-toned serenade: "Kurt...!" It's time for another celebration of Wikipedia's most hated character.

Kurt is going for Kelly Martin's record number of oppose votes. He may not know it, and he may not care, but if he stays in the election for the full 14 days, he is virtually guaranteed to be the most opposed candidate for any position of trust in the entire history of Wikipedia. The prospect was not lost on Tombomp (oppose number 174), who says "I'd prefer to see him gain a record on number of opposes." EconomicsGuy dutifully points to Kelly Martin's record of 263 opposes (against 41 supports).

Move over Kelly, you are no longer the most hated person on Wikipedia! "Kurt...!"

This post has been edited by Shalom:
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

Bring back the guttersnipes!

Member No.: 6,696

Damn. I knew I should have run.
+Quote Post
Anonymous editor

Ãœber Member

his supports seem to stem from "people are being so mean by opposing him a lot."

Kelly, records are made to be broken. If only this was a worthy successor...

This post has been edited by Anonymous editor:
+Quote Post
michael

Group: Contributors

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Tue 2nd December 2008, 12:16pm) *

Damn. I knew I should have run.

That would have brought wikidrama to a new level.
+Quote Post
Giggy

Ãœber Member

Group: Inactive
Member No.: 5,552

QUOTE(Anonymous editor @ Wed 3rd December 2008, 6:25am) *

his supports seem to stem from "people are being so mean by opposing him a lot."

I supported him because I agreed with his platform and most of the views he expressed in answering questions.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(Shalom @ Tue 2nd December 2008, 1:03pm) *

Move over Kelly, you are no longer the most hated person on Wikipedia! "Kurt...!"

To be fair, there do exist other candidates and admins who also seem to lack even a microgram of introspection or self-doubt. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/huh.gif) But they all toe the Wikipedia party line. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/bored.gif)
+Quote Post
Newyorkbrad

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Giggy @ Tue 2nd December 2008, 6:37pm) *

I supported him because I agreed with his platform and most of the views he expressed in answering questions.

Including mine? Both the one he answered and the ones he didn't?
+Quote Post
Eppur si muove

QUOTE(Newyorkbrad @ Wed 3rd December 2008, 12:12am) *

I think the number of questions thrown at candidates is ridiculously large. And I certainly have no intention of reading through thirty something complete sets of answers. Though I suppose it is a requirement of arbcoms that they have to be able to put up with being thrown loads of rubbish to deal with.
+Quote Post
Newyorkbrad

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(SelfHater @ Tue 2nd December 2008, 7:22pm) *

QUOTE(Newyorkbrad @ Wed 3rd December 2008, 12:12am) *

I think the number of questions thrown at candidates is ridiculously large. And I certainly have no intention of reading through thirty something complete sets of answers. Though I suppose it is a requirement of arbcoms that they have to be able to put up with being thrown loads of rubbish to deal with.

In my euphemistic way I'd prefer to say "large amounts of user input, some more useful than the rest," but yes.
+Quote Post
everyking

Postmaster

QUOTE(SelfHater @ Wed 3rd December 2008, 1:22am) *

Bear in mind that most arbitrators do not communicate with the community at all between elections (but here's hoping that changes), so it seems reasonable to bombard them with questions during the one time that they're likely to respond.
+Quote Post
Eppur si muove

QUOTE(Newyorkbrad @ Wed 3rd December 2008, 12:26am) *

In my euphemistic way I'd prefer to say "large amounts of user input, some more useful than the rest," but yes.

Wel l, that's why you're on Arbcom whilst I'm a lowly rollbacker who has to keep his identity semi-concealed.

This post has been edited by SelfHater:
+Quote Post
Newyorkbrad

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(everyking @ Tue 2nd December 2008, 7:29pm) *

Bear in mind that most arbitrators do not communicate with the community at all between elections (but here's hoping that changes), so it seems reasonable to bombard them with questions during the one time that they're likely to respond.

I found the majority of the questions thrown at me last year to be reasonable and in some cases thought-provoking, but it did take me most of a wiki-month to answer them all. (The questioning period was shortened from a month to three weeks this year, which was good.)

QUOTE(SelfHater @ Tue 2nd December 2008, 7:31pm) *

QUOTE(Newyorkbrad @ Wed 3rd December 2008, 12:26am) *

Wel l, that's why you're on Arbcom whilst I'm a lowly rollbacker who has to keep his identity semi-concealed.

Perhaps, but on the other hand, you only hate yourself, while I have been reliably informed that I hate all of Wikipedia.
+Quote Post
Eppur si muove

QUOTE(everyking @ Wed 3rd December 2008, 12:29am) *

That's the problem with any form of representative democracy.

Judging by how those arbcomers standing again are doing, in this case you only get to hear how those who haven't yet been arbcoms intend to handle things before they actually get their hands dirty. Those with dirty hands (even non-arbcomers who have dealt with hard cases elsewhere)don't get the votes.

QUOTE(Newyorkbrad @ Wed 3rd December 2008, 12:37am) *

Perhaps, but on the other hand, you only hate yourself, while I have been reliably informed that I hate all of Wikipedia.

This is one of those rare occssions were the initials LOL are actually true.
+Quote Post
D.A.F.

Unregistered

I think the number of questions thrown at candidates is ridiculously large. And I certainly have no intention of reading through thirty something complete sets of answers.

Call me sick but I do..., well for 6 candidates. Besides BLP issues brought, not much questions about anything on content directly and if it is asked answers are usually vague and unsatisfactory so it's a total waste of time reading them.

This post has been edited by Xidaf:
+Quote Post
Anonymous editor

Ãœber Member

I'm not sure that's possible, but I guess I'll have to take your word for it.
+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

Bring back the guttersnipes!

Member No.: 6,696

QUOTE(Newyorkbrad @ Tue 2nd December 2008, 6:26pm) *
So that's why you stopped talking to me on IRC? I'm no longer a "user" so my input is no longer welcome?
+Quote Post
Newyorkbrad

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Tue 2nd December 2008, 9:06pm) *

QUOTE(Newyorkbrad @ Tue 2nd December 2008, 6:26pm) *
So that's why you stopped talking to me on IRC? I'm no longer a "user" so my input is no longer welcome?

I may be off by a few months, but you had pretty much stopped being a regular Wikipedia "user" around more-or-less the same time we started chatting regularly, so this theory doesn't stand up. Beyond that, I haven't been on IRC that much recently, and when I was I don't recall seeing you often, plus when I come on I am often beseiged with the drama du jour (which come to think of it is one reason I don't come on so much these days). I also suppose that since you haven't been focused on Wikipedia, I wouldn't find you in the channels I log into. I've often said you provide some of the most trenchant commentary on Wikipedia around, especially when any self-admitted trolling is screened out. I'd be glad to catch up soon.
+Quote Post
Pumpkin Muffins

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Newyorkbrad @ Tue 2nd December 2008, 6:16pm) *
I also suppose that since you haven't been focused on Wikipedia, I wouldn't find you in the channels I log into...

Just out of curiosity, what channels do you log into?

I haven't been on IRC for years - the wikipedia channel was sewage then. I've always assumed there were various unofficial channels of better quality (can't believe #wikipedia is as good as it gets).
+Quote Post
Newyorkbrad

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Pumpkin Muffins @ Tue 2nd December 2008, 9:33pm) *

QUOTE(Newyorkbrad @ Tue 2nd December 2008, 6:16pm) *
I also suppose that since you haven't been focused on Wikipedia, I wouldn't find you in the channels I log into...

Just out of curiosity, what channels do you log into?

I haven't been on IRC for years - the wikipedia channel was sewage then. I've always assumed there were various unofficial channels of better quality (can't believe #wikipedia is as good as it gets).

The ArbCom channel (but there are rarely more than one or two people in it), the ArbCom Clerks channel (there is a bot that feeds recent decisions from the arbitration pages, useful during contentious times), #admins (some comments from me about that channel in the Piotrus 2 proposed decision), and once in awhile the other wikipedia-related channels like #wikipedia or #wikipedia-en. And lately, as I've said, not much of any.
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

Member No.: 3,670

And there it is! NYBrad has reached the fabled 300 mark. Congraduations!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)