The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Stephen Colbert Causes Chaos on Wikipedia, And, predictably, gets banned for it
Somey
post Sun 17th May 2009, 6:36am
Post #21

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 275

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Sat 16th May 2009, 6:32pm) *
Colbert later made some comments about Wikiality and changing the universe just by editing Wikipedia, which evidentally were not well received at WMF. They resulted in all but the above two edits being NUKED. Including the edits which created the user:StephenColbert userpage and all the rest. Gone.

My guess is that at the time, they were hoping he wouldn't have any staying power on Comedy Central. At this point it's clear that he does have that, of course... As I recall, they were also upset about his calling on viewers to edit the WP "Elephants" article so as to misrepresent their population numbers, which was considered "disruptive." (OH NOES!) However, that should have been a simple matter of protecting the article for a few days.

So yes, disappearing these edits is more of an embarrassment to WP than anything else, but only if we assume there's some legitimate historical importance to the events in question.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Milton Roe
post Sun 17th May 2009, 7:06am
Post #22

Known alias of J. Random Troll

Group: Regulars
Member No.: 5,156

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(Somey @ Sat 16th May 2009, 11:36pm) *

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Sat 16th May 2009, 6:32pm) *
Colbert later made some comments about Wikiality and changing the universe just by editing Wikipedia, which evidentally were not well received at WMF. They resulted in all but the above two edits being NUKED. Including the edits which created the user:StephenColbert userpage and all the rest. Gone.

My guess is that at the time, they were hoping he wouldn't have any staying power on Comedy Central. At this point it's clear that he does have that, of course... As I recall, they were also upset about his calling on viewers to edit the WP "Elephants" article so as to misrepresent their population numbers, which was considered "disruptive." (OH NOES!) However, that should have been a simple matter of protecting the article for a few days.

So yes, disappearing these edits is more of an embarrassment to WP than anything else, but only if we assume there's some legitimate historical importance to the events in question.

Disappearing the edits amounts to oversighting them. Why oversight the edit that somebody (some newbie, whether it was or wasn't Colbert, are we not agreed?) used to create their own userpage?? This is completely beyond the pale, and there's nothing even remotely in any WP policy which explains or justifies this. Or the indef block, either. (Where's the warning to the newbie about his unacceptable username, eh?) So do we have any WP admins on WR who want to explain to me how this went down, per WP guidelines?

So this is just one more example of how WP doesn't follow its own policies.

My own guess is that Wales actually DID call up the Colbert show, and tried to pull an Alpha Dog of the Week on them. Probably asked or demanded to be on the show. Or threatened them. And Colbert or his people told Jimbo to piss up a rope. So the word went from Jimbo to his admin lackey of the week, who I suppose was AmiDaniel (do we have a subforum for him?) and somebody with Nukepower (surely a limited list of 'crats) nuked newbie user:Stephencolbert's first bunch of edits. Except for those two. And then indef blocked him, no appeal.

WP:BITE. We'll show you who's alpha dog. evilgrin.gif mad.gif
+Quote Post
Cedric
post Sun 17th May 2009, 3:18pm
Post #23

General Gato

Member No.: 1,116

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Sun 17th May 2009, 2:06am) *

My own guess is that Wales actually DID call up the Colbert show, and tried to pull an Alpha Dog of the Week on them. Probably asked or demanded to be on the show. Or threatened them. And Colbert or his people told Jimbo to piss up a rope. So the word went from Jimbo to his admin lackey of the week, who I suppose was AmiDaniel (do we have a subforum for him?) and somebody with Nukepower (surely a limited list of 'crats) nuked newbie user:Stephencolbert's first bunch of edits. Except for those two. And then indef blocked him, no appeal.

WP:BITE. We'll show you who's alpha dog. evilgrin.gif mad.gif

Actually, Jimbo did appear on The Colbert Report, but it was nearly a year after "the tripling elephants controversy" and Colbert's original block.
+Quote Post
danielaword
post Sat 28th August 2010, 7:55pm
Post #24

Group: Contributors
Member No.: 21,806

QUOTE(Newsvine @ Tue 1st August 2006, 10:46am) *

On Monday night's episode of The Colbert Report, Stephen Colbert addressed the online resource Wikipedia, that anyone can read or edit. Colbert praised Wikipedia for "wikiality" the reality that exists if you make something up and enough people agree with you, it becomes reality.

http://spring.newsvine.com/_news/2006/08/0...ocked-from-site

: THANX COLBERT, KEEP UP THE GOOD JOB! WILL SEND U ADDITIONAL INFO! biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
thekohser
post Thu 27th October 2011, 11:17am
Post #25

Member No.: 911

Mods, why is this story "pinned" in the folder?
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th 10 17, 7:29am