FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Nowhere to hide -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Discussions in this subforum are hidden from search engines.

However, they are not hidden from automobile engines, including the newer, more "environmentally-friendly" electric and hybrid engines. Also, please note that this subforum is meant to be used for discussion of the actual biographical articles themselves; more generalized discussions of BLP policy should be posted in the General Discussion or Bureaucracy forums.

> Nowhere to hide, libel not covered by 1st
lilburne

Chameleon

Group: Contributors

Court orders hand over of identity of anonymous wikipedia editors.

http://lawkipedia.com/social-networking/id...-amendment.html

libel not covered by 1st - apparently.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Kelly Martin

Bring back the guttersnipes!

Group: Regulars
Member No.: 6,696

I think it's a matter of time before someone in the UK gets their ass sued into oblivion for editing Wikipedia, and shortly after that there will be no UK editors of Wikipedia left, once all of them realize that they're totally vulnerable there to defamation claims.

It'll take longer to break the shield in the US, but eventually that'll happen to. The difference between Wikipedia, IMO, and random blogs, forums, and Twitter is that the latter are all "take it as you find it" random junk with no inherent credibility, while the former holds itself forth as a trusted authority by claiming to be an encyclopedia, and eventually that distinction is going to make a difference somewhere. If you want to wear the uniform, you have to walk the beat, as it were.
+Quote Post
Malleus

Fat Cat

Member No.: 8,716

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Tue 31st May 2011, 12:58pm) *

I think it's a matter of time before someone in the UK gets their ass sued into oblivion for editing Wikipedia, and shortly after that there will be no UK editors of Wikipedia left, once all of them realize that they're totally vulnerable there to defamation claims.

I think that's very unlikely. How many editors do you think have the assets to make it worthwhile for a plantiff to sue them in a UK civil court? Very few or just none? As Robert Maxwell so ably demonstrated, UK libel law is a plaything of the rich, a tool to suppress anything they'd prefer others not to know about. In reality it has very little if anything to do with spreading lies. But equally those without significant assets are immune to it, and can say pretty much whatever they please.

This post has been edited by Malleus:
+Quote Post
RMHED

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Malleus @ Tue 31st May 2011, 11:21pm) *

I think that's very unlikely. How many editors do you think have the assets to make it worthwhile for a plantiff to sue them in a UK civil court? Very few or just none? As Robert Maxwell so ably demonstrated, UK libel law is a plaything of the rich, a tool to suppress anything they'd prefer others not to know about. In reality it has very little if anything to do with spreading lies. But equally those without significant assets are immune to it, and can say pretty much whatever they please.

Quite a few I'd imagine, given the UK's love of home ownership.
+Quote Post
Malleus

Fat Cat

Member No.: 8,716

QUOTE(RMHED @ Tue 31st May 2011, 11:46pm) *

QUOTE(Malleus @ Tue 31st May 2011, 11:21pm) *

Quite a few I'd imagine, given the UK's love of home ownership.

And how exactly do you reconcile home ownership with the commonly reported demographics of wikipedia editors? Winning a libel case doesn't give the plaintiff automatic access to any assets owned by the plaintiff's parents.
+Quote Post
Abd

Postmaster

Member No.: 9,019

QUOTE(Malleus @ Wed 1st June 2011, 2:42pm) *
And how exactly do you reconcile home ownership with the commonly reported demographics of wikipedia editors? Winning a libel case doesn't give the plaintiff automatic access to any assets owned by the plaintiff's parents.
I'm not completely sure this is true. Parents of minors can be held responsible for the torts of their children.

There is also a theory that might be pursued, that if Wikipedia structure fosters and allows and facilitates torts, even if in individual cases, Wikipedia might be held blameless, there might be a cause of action. I certainly would not want to depend on the absence of such liability.

What would be interesting would be a legal notice to Wikipedia, on behalf of specific possible plaintiffs, but also providing a general warning. of possible liability if the Foundation continues to leave the "kids" without supervision. Others might then be able to rely upon this warning, if it were properly published.
+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

Bring back the guttersnipes!

Member No.: 6,696

QUOTE(Abd @ Wed 1st June 2011, 8:55pm) *
I'm not completely sure this is true. Parents of minors can be held responsible for the torts of their children.
Not for intentional torts. Guardians are not liable for the intentional torts of their wards, although you can sue a guardian for negligent supervision if the exercise of reasonable supervision of the ward by the guardian would have prevented the harm which occurred.

QUOTE(Abd @ Wed 1st June 2011, 8:55pm) *
There is also a theory that might be pursued, that if Wikipedia structure fosters and allows and facilitates torts, even if in individual cases, Wikipedia might be held blameless, there might be a cause of action. I certainly would not want to depend on the absence of such liability.

What would be interesting would be a legal notice to Wikipedia, on behalf of specific possible plaintiffs, but also providing a general warning. of possible liability if the Foundation continues to leave the "kids" without supervision. Others might then be able to rely upon this warning, if it were properly published.
The WMF is fairly clearly immunized against this form of liability by Section 230. Section 230 clearly abrogates any duty for a provider of Internet services to supervise its customers' use of those services; since providers have no duty of supervision there is no way any such supervision could be negligent.

The notion that Wikipedia is a nuisance is an interesting one, but nuisance law is generally thought of as a real property action, and I've never seen anyone apply nuisance law without there being some connection to real property (or the owners or lessees thereof) that is being affected by the nuisance.
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Thu 2nd June 2011, 11:46am) *

The WMF is fairly clearly immunized against this form of liability by Section 230. Section 230 clearly abrogates any duty for a provider of Internet services to supervise its customers' use of those services; since providers have no duty of supervision there is no way any such supervision could be negligent.

The notion that Wikipedia is a nuisance is an interesting one, but nuisance law is generally thought of as a real property action, and I've never seen anyone apply nuisance law without there being some connection to real property (or the owners or lessees thereof) that is being affected by the nuisance.

Kelly, I've spoken with a lawyer who was a key figure in the breast implants cases, and he thinks that Section 230 could be trumped by Wikipedia's problem of "invasion of privacy" of some of the individuals it earmarks as "notable", then allows libel or the chance for libel on a 24/7 basis. I think that has some merit, but I'm not a lawyer, of course.
+Quote Post
Abd

Postmaster

Member No.: 9,019

QUOTE(thekohser @ Fri 3rd June 2011, 9:36am) *
QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Thu 2nd June 2011, 11:46am) *

Kelly, I've spoken with a lawyer who was a key figure in the breast implants cases, and he thinks that Section 230 could be trumped by Wikipedia's problem of "invasion of privacy" of some of the individuals it earmarks as "notable", then allows libel or the chance for libel on a 24/7 basis. I think that has some merit, but I'm not a lawyer, of course.
We are talking about the edges of the law, and for anyone to presume some outcome in advance would be foolish. Here, depending on section 230 immunity, as if the volunteer community for Wikipedia is a bunch of "customers," is awfully shaky.

A more apt characterization might be that the WMF uses them to accomplish its goal, building an encyclopedia, from which it benefits (by gathering donations), and it could be claimed that it is negligent in supervising its servants.

To flesh this theory out, suppose that Wikipedia profits through increased traffic and thus increased donor support, based on publishing libel. I think that the "publisher" for Wikipedia is not the volunteers, it's the WMF. Is the WMF immunized against the unsupervised misbehavior of those who volunteer, according to a system over which the WMF has control, should it choose to exercise that control? That, to me, sounds like an unresolved legal issue, not a slam-dunk in any direction.

It gets even clearer if it's realized that a system that would far better protect people from libel exists, and was just rejected. Not rejected by the WMF, but by the "body of volunteers." Pending Revisions. The WMF could, in fact, insist, if it had the cojones to confront the alleged involved community.

(the core continually pretends that it is the community, when the vast bulk of contributions are coming from outside the core.)
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
lilburne   Nowhere to hide  
Detective   Court orders hand over of identity of anonymous w...  
lilburne   [quote name='lilburne' post='275821' date='Sun 29...  
thekohser   How about this ... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-e...  
thekohser   I have a nice Faconnable dress shirt that has held...  
carbuncle   How odd. I wanted to see the actual edits in quest...  
tarantino   How odd. I wanted to see the actual edits in ques...  
lilburne   How odd. I wanted to see the actual edits in que...  
Sololol   How odd. I wanted to see the actual edits in ques...  
carbuncle   [quote name='carbuncle' post='275829' date='Sun 2...  
Sololol   [quote name='carbuncle' post='275829' date='Sun ...  
thekohser   And, a WebCite of the M1 Group article. I'll ...  
EricBarbour   I'll tell you what, Guy "JzG" Chapma...  
Milton Roe   [quote name='thekohser' post='275842' date='Sun 2...  
Silver seren   So...what are they going to do if the IP isn't...  
thekohser   So...what are they going to do if the IP isn...  
Silver seren   Ah, no, I didn't read that far. Yeah, interne...  
Detective   Yeah, internet anonymity seems to be heading towa...  
Somey   Yeah, internet anonymity seems to be heading towar...  
lilburne   Yeah, internet anonymity seems to be heading towa...  
Newyorkbrad   [quote name='Somey' post='275906' date='Mon 30th ...  
lilburne   [quote name='lilburne' post='275937' date='Tue 31...  
thekohser   It's odd how this was in the Denver Post six w...  
carbuncle   It's odd how this was in the Denver Post six ...  
Kelly Martin   Seems to me that defamation is an intentional tort...  
Malleus   Seems to me that defamation is an intentional tor...  
NuclearWarfare   [quote name='Kelly Martin' post='275910' date='Tu...  
Newyorkbrad   However, what I found interesting was this statem...  
carbuncle   [quote name='Kelly Martin' post='275910' date='Tu...  
Newyorkbrad   Seems to me that defamation is an intentional to...  
Kelly Martin   Usually, someone who's discovered that the thr...  
Newyorkbrad   Usually, someone who's discovered that the th...  
victim of censorship   Court orders hand over of identity of anonymous w...  
lilburne   [quote name='lilburne' post='275821' date='Sun 29...  
Somey   The difference between Wikipedia, IMO, and random ...  
Malleus   And how exactly do you reconcile home ownership w...  
lilburne   The WMF is fairly clearly immunized against this ...  
Kelly Martin   Kelly, I've spoken with a lawyer who was a key...  
Sololol   Didn't see this posted yet. Here's the ord...  
thekohser   The edits in question not only linked Facconable ...  
Silver seren   So, I guess we'd better gear up for another Am...  
lilburne   So, I guess we'd better gear up for another A...  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)