FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Jimbo rubs it in San Jose's face -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Jimbo rubs it in San Jose's face
thekohser

Group: Regulars

Nobody wants to live in San José, not as an inherent thing.

-- Jimmy Wales (link)

I believe there are a few Wikipedians and WMF'ers who live in San Jose. How do they feel about Jimmy jetting off to London, kissing London's ass, then insulting the 10th-largest city in the United States?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
EricBarbour

blah

It's easy to see why Wales wants to move to the UK:

1) Wikipedia was invented and founded by Americans. And yet, as time wears on, it become more and more European. The database bias points toward en-wiki editing by UK and Irish residents as being a major, almost dominant, force. It is my opinion that Wikipedia's obsession with Association football (soccer) and cricket is an important side-effect. Geography, railroads, military history, all point towards heavy involvement by UK editors.

As Kelly Martin and Carbuncle have pointed out, the Wikimedia Foundation is becoming increasingly anti-American in makeup. Every election for the board of directors requires candidates that speak more than one language, plus a lot of argument about Wikipedia's "American bias" (rarely spoken out loud but heavily implied). Remember, most of Wikimedia's cash donors are still Americans. This, despite the increasingly-obvious fact that most of the Wikipedias for various lesser languages are moribund or almost so. The only WP whose participation isn't trailing off is Japanese, and that might easily be a minor statistical fluke.

2) "We Londoners do not like people kissing our bottoms." Mister Wales most certainly does, however. Given that many of his favorite "Cabalniks" are in the UK, it's no wonder that he's willing to go there. Evidently his ass wasn't being kissed hard enough in San Francisco.

Ever noticed what a bunch of smug, self-obsessed twats most Web 2.0 entrepreneurs are? And the Bay Area is their Valhalla. It makes me think that Wales has been to a few cocktail parties thrown by VCs, wherein he was laughed at or snubbed by completely arrogant trolls like Jason Calacanis and Michael Arrington. In short, the "Web Celeb 25", which shows Wales as #12.
+Quote Post
Vigilant

Group: Contributors

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Sat 22nd October 2011, 7:04pm) *

It's easy to see why Wales wants to move to the UK:

1) Wikipedia was invented and founded by Americans. And yet, as time wears on, it become more and more European. The database bias points toward en-wiki editing by UK and Irish residents as being a major, almost dominant, force. It is my opinion that Wikipedia's obsession with Association football (soccer) and cricket is an important side-effect. Geography, railroads, military history, all point towards heavy involvement by UK editors.

As Kelly Martin and Carbuncle have pointed out, the Wikimedia Foundation is becoming increasingly anti-American in makeup. Every election for the board of directors requires candidates that speak more than one language, plus a lot of argument about Wikipedia's "American bias" (rarely spoken out loud but heavily implied). Remember, most of Wikimedia's cash donors are still Americans. This, despite the increasingly-obvious fact that most of the Wikipedias for various lesser languages are moribund or almost so. The only WP whose participation isn't trailing off is Japanese, and that might easily be a minor statistical fluke.

2) "We Londoners do not like people kissing our bottoms." Mister Wales most certainly does, however. Given that many of his favorite "Cabalniks" are in the UK, it's no wonder that he's willing to go there. Evidently his ass wasn't being kissed hard enough in San Francisco.

Ever noticed what a bunch of smug, self-obsessed twats most Web 2.0 entrepreneurs are? And the Bay Area is their Valhalla. It makes me think that Wales has been to a few cocktail parties thrown by VCs, wherein he was laughed at or snubbed by completely arrogant trolls like Jason Calacanis and Michael Arrington. In short, the "Web Celeb 25", which shows Wales as #12.

I'd bet it's something a bit simpler.

Jimmy has spoken to some of these VCs and word has gotten around that he's none too bright and not really in charge anyway.

Why waste time on someone without decision making power?
Especially if he's also terribly full of himself and boring at parties...
+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

Bring back the guttersnipes!

Member No.: 6,696

QUOTE(Vigilant @ Sat 22nd October 2011, 8:48pm) *
Jimmy has spoken to some of these VCs and word has gotten around that he's none too bright and not really in charge anyway.

Why waste time on someone without decision making power?
Especially if he's also terribly full of himself and boring at parties...
Exactly. And he is terribly full of himself and otherwise completely boring at parties, since he only talks to people if they're in a position to do something for him, and only to try to get them to do that something. So you'd better either be rich, or hot, or else he'll ignore you like yesterday's mackerel.
+Quote Post
Alison

Skinny Cow!

Member No.: 1,806

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Sun 23rd October 2011, 8:11pm) *

And he is terribly full of himself and otherwise completely boring at parties, since he only talks to people if they're in a position to do something for him, and only to try to get them to do that something. So you'd better either be rich, or hot, or else he'll ignore you like yesterday's mackerel.

I had the pleasure of meeting him in person at the old WMF offices some years back, and he completely ignored me tho' I was being introduced by Cary and Kat. Clearly I'm neither rich nor hot (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

QUOTE(Alison @ Sun 23rd October 2011, 11:15pm) *
Clearly I'm neither rich nor hot (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/biggrin.gif)

I've not seen your bank statement, but I have seen your photographs! Mmmm mmmm good!
(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/boing.gif)(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/boing.gif)(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/boing.gif)(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/boing.gif)(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/boing.gif)(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/boing.gif)(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/boing.gif)(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/boing.gif)(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/boing.gif)(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/boing.gif)(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/boing.gif)(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/boing.gif)(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/boing.gif)
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
thekohser   Jimbo rubs it in San Jose's face  
carbuncle   To be fair to Jimbo, which doesn't seem to be ...  
thekohser   To be fair to Jimbo, which doesn't seem to be...  
Herschelkrustofsky   It appears that he meant it in a very similar way....  
Peter Damian   I believe there are a few Wikipedians and WMF...  
melloden   I don't think it really matters where you star...  
EricBarbour   [quote name='Kelly Martin' post='287021' date='Sun...  
Vigilant   [quote name='Kelly Martin' post='287021' date='Su...  
thekohser   Clearly I'm neither rich nor hot :P :D But y...  
TungstenCarbide   And he is terribly full of himself and otherwise c...  
mbz1   [quote name='Vigilant' post='286970' date='Sat 22...  
Zoloft   [quote name='Vigilant' post='286970' date='Sat 22n...  
Alison   I believe there are a few Wikipedians and WMF...  
thekohser   Hey - I live there!! :/ I've notified...  
Zoloft   I believe there are a few Wikipedians and WMF...  
Somey   Silicon Valley (aka Santa Clara County, CA) used t...  
thekohser   ...I would be shocked to learn that Jimbo knows a...  
Zoloft   [quote name='Somey' post='286985' date='Sun 23rd ...  
mbz1   [quote name='Somey' post='286985' date='Sun 23rd ...  
SB_Johnny   I am not sure it is worth spending donated money ...  
thekohser   Even one of the latest articles does not specify ...  
Michaeldsuarez   I am not sure it is worth spending donated money...  
thekohser   Via e-mail, the office of San José Mayor Chuck ...  
Detective   I'm amazed nobody has made the obvious Youtube...  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)