The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Help

This forum is for discussing specific Wikipedia editors, editing patterns, and general efforts by those editors to influence or direct content in ways that might not be in keeping with Wikipedia policy. Please source your claims and provide links where appropriate. For a glossary of terms frequently used when discussing Wikipedia and related projects, please refer to Wikipedia:Glossary.

55 Pages V « < 38 39 40 41 42 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Law blocked as an alternate account of the_undertow, Who knew?
Casliber
post Wed 7th October 2009, 8:03pm
Post #781

Group: Regulars
Member No.: 3,559

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(Random832 @ Thu 8th October 2009, 5:25am) *

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Wed 7th October 2009, 5:06pm) *
QUOTE(Casliber @ Wed 7th October 2009, 8:27am) *
When one is bombarded with 100 emails a day, and has to prioritise things, then obviously certain tasks get left on the backburner.
But wait, didn't you resign? Why are you still reading the arbcom's emails, then?

Is there any reason he should believe that the volume of material sent to the list has significantly changed since his recent resignation?

Precisely. I asked to be unsubscribed from the arb- and func- list straight after posting that I was over and out on the arbcom noticeboard and thus have not received emails since
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name
post Wed 7th October 2009, 8:17pm
Post #782

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

Member No.: 9,985

QUOTE(Noroton @ Wed 7th October 2009, 3:52pm) *
That guy thinks it should probably be deleted, I guess as some kind of copyvio. Granted, Lar disagrees. I certainly wouldn't lift a finger either way.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr. Okay, for the second time: you have my permission to post it. The article is public domain. Happy? smile.gif

FYI -- I just banged out the article in 20 minutes. I spent more time talking about it than writing it. unsure.gif

QUOTE(Noroton @ Wed 7th October 2009, 3:52pm) *

And it wasn't looking at your testicle but crushing it that I was joking about. Get the joke right.

You couldn't crush it -- I am a hard nut to crack. dry.gif

This post has been edited by A Horse With No Name: Wed 7th October 2009, 8:19pm
+Quote Post
SB_Johnny
post Wed 7th October 2009, 9:45pm
Post #783

It wasn't me who made honky-tonk angels

Member No.: 8,272

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Wed 7th October 2009, 1:06pm) *

QUOTE(Casliber @ Wed 7th October 2009, 8:27am) *
When one is bombarded with 100 emails a day, and has to prioritise things, then obviously certain tasks get left on the backburner.
Sounds like y'all need to find a way to manage your workload better, then. Because the way you're doing it just makes y'all look to be incompetent at best, and maliciously nasty at worst.

But wait, didn't you resign? Why are you still reading the arbcom's emails, then?

Maybe they need another 20 arbs or so. Might help with the whole recluse thing as well, but probably not.
+Quote Post
Appleby
post Wed 7th October 2009, 10:48pm
Post #784

Group: On Vacation
Member No.: 13,585

QUOTE(SB_Johnny @ Wed 7th October 2009, 10:45pm) *

Might help with the whole recluse thing as well, but probably not.

Unfortunately, ArbCom members tend not to be recluses, at least online. Maybe some are IRL.

This post has been edited by Appleby: Wed 7th October 2009, 10:48pm
+Quote Post
Daniel
post Wed 7th October 2009, 11:01pm
Post #785

Group: Contributors
Member No.: 4,657

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(LaraLove @ Thu 8th October 2009, 3:35am) *

QUOTE(Achromatic @ Wed 7th October 2009, 12:31pm) *

QUOTE(Daniel @ Wed 7th October 2009, 12:38am) *

I really didn't want to post any more of the log than the few lines I did previously, but oh well, here goes:

[logs]

Apropos of anything else, am I the only one that noticed that while many of Ironholds lines in the log are prefixed with the 'nonprinting' character code '', not all are? Odd that whatever was logging was inconsistent about that.

Hmm, I hadn't noticed that. I still doubt it's been altered, but that is an interesting point.

The logs I had came with an annoying > in front of it (plus the non-breaking character), which for some reason when I copied to this forum changed into a "01". I started manually removing them by hand (ie. deleting both the NBS and the 01), but in the end got terribly bored of doing so, copied it to Textedit, and find-replaced the "01" with nothing. There should be a clear point, about x amount of the way down, where the non-breaking spaces start appearing every time (which is where I started using Textedit); before that point, it'll likely be a mixture of some with NBS and some without, depending on whether I managed to backspace out the NBS when deleting the 01.

Hope this clears it up, and apologies for the confusion.

This post has been edited by Daniel: Wed 7th October 2009, 11:04pm
+Quote Post
Achromatic
post Wed 7th October 2009, 11:05pm
Post #786

Member No.: 4,185

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(Daniel @ Wed 7th October 2009, 4:01pm) *

The logs I had came with an annoying > in front of it (plus the non-breaking character), which for some reason when I copied to this forum changed into a "01". I started manually removing them by hand (ie. deleting both the NBS and the 01), but in the end got terribly bored of doing so, copied it to Textedit, and find-replaced the "01" with nothing. There should be a clear point, about x amount of the way down, where the non-breaking spaces start appearing.

Hope this clears it up.

WP doesn't do due process, and we don't do good faith wink.gif All kidding aside, for reference, you may wish in future to consider the "ramifications" of "boredom" when it comes to tidying up logs where there are accusations of context bias, if not outright forgery wink.gif
+Quote Post
Daniel
post Wed 7th October 2009, 11:08pm
Post #787

Member No.: 4,657

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(Achromatic @ Thu 8th October 2009, 9:35am) *

WP doesn't do due process, and we don't do good faith wink.gif All kidding aside, for reference, you may wish in future to consider the "ramifications" of "boredom" when it comes to tidying up logs where there are accusations of context bias, if not outright forgery wink.gif

"Ramifications" of "mild ocdness", maybe smile.gif

Further clarification to what I wrote above: the ">"s (and hence the "01"s) were in front of every line written by IH, because they are his logs. They were obviously not in front of what Chip wrote.

This post has been edited by Daniel: Wed 7th October 2009, 11:36pm
+Quote Post
Apathetic
post Wed 7th October 2009, 11:48pm
Post #788

Über Member

Member No.: 7,383

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

Looks like Wizardman just sealed Lara's fate.
+Quote Post
Gazimoff
post Wed 7th October 2009, 11:53pm
Post #789

Member No.: 10,884

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(Apathetic @ Thu 8th October 2009, 12:48am) *

Well, the Arbcom wants their pound of flesh. Can't go through all this drama without it.

Kinda glad I'm still retired, to be honest.
+Quote Post
Ahypori
post Thu 8th October 2009, 12:08am
Post #790

Member No.: 10,841

QUOTE(Apathetic @ Wed 7th October 2009, 4:48pm) *

It was KillerChihuahua's evidence that appears to have swung it in favor of Lara's desysopping, and if Lara is desysopped, it'll be the first time that a rollback granting helped contribute to someone's desysopping.

There's no acknowledgement whatsoever by ArbCom of Jehochman's appalling behavior at all throughout all of this, nor any mention of him and his friends pushing hard to get their enemies desysopped...and at this rate they'll end up getting away with all of this without even a mention by ArbCom, let alone an admonishment or a desysopping.

This post has been edited by Ahypori: Thu 8th October 2009, 12:09am
+Quote Post
Floydsvoid
post Thu 8th October 2009, 12:14am
Post #791

Member No.: 4,216

QUOTE(Abd @ Wed 7th October 2009, 1:09pm) *

Wikipedia turns small disagreements into huge battles and large disagreements into impossible snarled traffic jams.

Wikipedia is played like a MMORPG but I think the real life emotional intensity there exceeds that of most MMORPGs. I got dibs on eMMORPG.

Emotional investment in online relationships has increased a lot since I was a young buck (actually back then there was no online). We did have Ann Landers and Dear Abbey in the newspapers to titillate our voyeuristic fantasies but that was about it (yeah, we used to get two newspapers a day, morning & afternoon).

What boggles me most is the spark that ignited this entire train wreck. A dispute over renaming some obscure (to me) bio from 3 names to 2? And presumably fix the redirects? Excuse me for not being a WP editor, but was this as big a deal as it escalated into?

Makes me think that some editors will seize any opportunity to stab their so-called opponents in the back.

Meanwhile, save your emotions for real people, not virtual people, and while you're at it, get the fuck off my lawn wink.gif
+Quote Post
The Joy
post Thu 8th October 2009, 12:36am
Post #792

I am a millipede! I am amazing!

Group: Members
Member No.: 982

QUOTE(One @ Wed 7th October 2009, 11:47am) *

QUOTE(LaraLove @ Wed 7th October 2009, 3:38pm) *

QUOTE(One @ Wed 7th October 2009, 9:54am) *

QUOTE(LaraLove @ Wed 7th October 2009, 12:55pm) *

Don't bother. No one could technically verify that, but from what I was originally told by Ironholds literally minutes after it happened and then Chip later, the logs are probably not altered. They are, however, more embarrassing and stupid than either of them had suggested to me.

True that. I wonder why then The_undertow refuses to acknowledge stuff that doesn't even matter.

Does he still have your trust? If so, why?

No.

Thank you, Lara, for drawing the line somewhere.

If the mods can redact his bullshit attack on Daniel, I would appreciate it.

Mod Note: I see nothing that requires redacting. Could you specify via PM to me or another mod/staff?

Mod Note to All: Given the length of this thead, PMing mods/staff for any requested action would be best rather than asking for mod action within the thread. Thank you for your cooperation. -The Joy
+Quote Post
One
post Thu 8th October 2009, 1:07am
Post #793

Postmaster General

Member No.: 4,284

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(The Joy @ Thu 8th October 2009, 12:36am) *

Mod Note: I see nothing that requires redacting. Could you specify via PM to me or another mod/staff?

Mod Note to All: Given the length of this thead, PMing mods/staff for any requested action would be best rather than asking for mod action within the thread. Thank you for your cooperation. -The Joy

I know, I know. It can only be redacted if it's about mod/staff.
+Quote Post
Mr. Mystery
post Thu 8th October 2009, 1:18am
Post #794

Member No.: 2,106

Belatedly concur with Daniel. EPIC WIN, totally.
+Quote Post
The Joy
post Thu 8th October 2009, 1:23am
Post #795

I am a millipede! I am amazing!

Group: Members
Member No.: 982

QUOTE(One @ Wed 7th October 2009, 9:07pm) *

QUOTE(The Joy @ Thu 8th October 2009, 12:36am) *

Mod Note: Another mod has redacted the material. Problem solved. -The Joy
+Quote Post
Somey
post Thu 8th October 2009, 1:27am
Post #796

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 275

QUOTE(One @ Wed 7th October 2009, 8:07pm) *

Now, that's just not fair. Not only did we redact the offending material before you posted the above comment, we did it without adding a snarky comment of my own, just so it would get done quicker.

People have to understand that when threads get out of control like this, us mods tend not to read them. This is because we wish to retain some semblance of personal sanity. It's important that member particpating in train-wreck threads like this one understand that, and use the "Report This Post" button rather than simply trust us to do these things on our own, or even in response to posts later in the thread.

Anyway, I'd better get back to the post in question and add that snarky comment... evilgrin.gif
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name
post Thu 8th October 2009, 2:15am
Post #797

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

Member No.: 9,985

QUOTE(Ahypori @ Wed 7th October 2009, 8:08pm) *

QUOTE(Apathetic @ Wed 7th October 2009, 4:48pm) *

It was KillerChihuahua's evidence that appears to have swung it in favor of Lara's desysopping, and if Lara is desysopped, it'll be the first time that a rollback granting helped contribute to someone's desysopping.

There's no acknowledgement whatsoever by ArbCom of Jehochman's appalling behavior at all throughout all of this, nor any mention of him and his friends pushing hard to get their enemies desysopped...and at this rate they'll end up getting away with all of this without even a mention by ArbCom, let alone an admonishment or a desysopping.

Arbcom reminds me of a famous Abbott and Costello exchange:

Abbott: Just remember - I'm the boss and you're nothing.
Costello: How do you like that -- boss over nothing!
+Quote Post
One
post Thu 8th October 2009, 2:26am
Post #798

Postmaster General

Member No.: 4,284

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(Somey @ Thu 8th October 2009, 1:27am) *

Now, that's just not fair. Not only did we redact the offending material before you posted the above comment, we did it without adding a snarky comment of my own, just so it would get done quicker.

People have to understand that when threads get out of control like this, us mods tend not to read them. This is because we wish to retain some semblance of personal sanity. It's important that member particpating in train-wreck threads like this one understand that, and use the "Report This Post" button rather than simply trust us to do these things on our own, or even in response to posts later in the thread.

Anyway, I'd better get back to the post in question and add that snarky comment... evilgrin.gif

Thanks. GBG is mensch.

I clicked the link a few minutes before my post and found that it was still there. Glad it was fixed expeditiously.
+Quote Post
Somey
post Thu 8th October 2009, 2:31am
Post #799

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 275

QUOTE(Ahypori @ Wed 7th October 2009, 8:08pm) *

I'm having trouble finding the "evidence page" in question - all I'm seeing are a bunch of vituperative comments from Ms. Chihuahua about their all being deceived and betrayed, yada yada yada, plus a little backtracking where she says they should stop using terms like "witch hunt" and "McCarthyism" here, and suggesting that "Watergate" is the more appropriate analogy. bored.gif

I think we should all be clear on one thing: Despite her past associations, Jennavecia (T-C-L-K-R-D) is, or rather was, in many ways one of the most conscientious and ethical administrators Wikipedia has ever had. This has little to do with her presumed decision to "value personal friendship over Wikipedia policy," as if such a decision would even be an issue for a sane person. To revoke her admin rights in response to such a trivial situation is just further proof that Wikipedia's dominant core group hasn't really changed significantly in the past 3-4 years, even if the majority of users have somehow managed to develop a more realistic view of Wikipedia's place in the world, and (hopefully) what its problems are.

Did that sound too soap-boxy? If so, sorry.
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame
post Thu 8th October 2009, 2:34am
Post #800

Dharma Bum

From: My name it means nothing. My age it means less. The country I come from is called the Mid-West.
Member No.: 981

QUOTE(One @ Wed 7th October 2009, 8:26pm) *

QUOTE(Somey @ Thu 8th October 2009, 1:27am) *

Thanks. GBG is mensch.

I clicked the link a few minutes before my post and found that it was still there. Glad it was fixed expeditiously.

Well, remember this is just a thread about Wikipedians doing Wikipedian shit. I thought that this was some other much more significant "Daniel" until someone disabused me. So, I guess we will never know if I'd extend the same courtesy to this Wikipedian guy.
+Quote Post

55 Pages V « < 38 39 40 41 42 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th 4 14, 2:39am