FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Jimbo's new website -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jimbo's new website, Civilination.org promises new finger-waggling, scolding features
bambi

Group: Contributors

http://civilination.org/news/about-2/board-of-directors/

Share your stories of online hostility on this website, and see if Jimbo is hostile toward your story.

(IMG:http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd347/richdaw/laughing.gif)

This post has been edited by bambi:
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dtobias

Obsessive trolling idiot [per JzG]

Group: Regulars
Member No.: 962

Perhaps Cla68 can post there about how his admin nomination on Wikipedia was torpedoed by Slim & co.
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

τὰ δέ μοι παθήματα μαθήματα γέγονε

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5,619

QUOTE(bambi @ Wed 30th December 2009, 11:22am) *

'Nuff Said

(Your comment is awaiting moderation.)

Jon (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/hrmph.gif)
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

From: My name it means nothing. My age it means less. The country I come from is called the Mid-West.
Member No.: 981

That is one sparse and harsh looking site. All those red, black and white blocks. It screams Nazism.
+Quote Post
CharlotteWebb

Postmaster General

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Wed 30th December 2009, 5:19pm) *

That is one sparse and harsh looking site. All those red, black and white blocks. It screams Nazism.

The second paragraph here arguably contradicts itself.

The gutter press offer a few stale anecdotes about the founders of the up-and-coming marching care-bear project.

I will say the name is goofier than anything Sanger could have come up with. When I saw it my first thought was "some kind of computer game".

After Sid Meier complains, Jimbo and Andrea will adopt a familiar *ci → *e syllable shift, mark my words.
+Quote Post
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Member No.: 275

QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Wed 30th December 2009, 12:01pm) *
The gutter press offer a few stale anecdotes about the founders of the up-and-coming marching care-bear project.

Here's the Valleywag article that first suggested the possibility of a romantic relationship between Jimbo and Andrea Weckerle. I dunno... it just seems a little weird to have two people who are dating get together to create a website whose purpose is to lecture the rest of the world about "civility." Is that their solution to the civility problem? Dinner and a movie, then maybe back to the condo for let's-just-see-how-it-goes? That's not "civility," that's "nookie." Two different things.

I'm sure she's very nice if you meet her in person, though! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

Bring back the guttersnipes!

Member No.: 6,696

This looks very Randroidish to me.

I think it would be best for anyone who has had an "incivil" encounter on Wikipedia to report it on their comments thread. I'm sure they'll all be deleted, but the point will be made, nonetheless.
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

From: My name it means nothing. My age it means less. The country I come from is called the Mid-West.

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Wed 30th December 2009, 1:22pm) *

This looks very Randroidish to me.

I think it would be best for anyone who has had an "incivil" encounter on Wikipedia to report it on their comments thread. I'm sure they'll all be deleted, but the point will be made, nonetheless.

A Nazi is just a Randoid who stumbles into state power.
+Quote Post
CharlotteWebb

Postmaster General

QUOTE(Somey @ Wed 30th December 2009, 6:16pm) *

Is that their solution to the civility problem? Dinner and a movie, then maybe back to the condo for let's-just-see-how-it-goes? That's not "civility," that's "nookie." Two different things.

Worked for John and Yoko. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
thekohser

This is priceless. I've added my story:

Back in 2006, the co-founder of a popular website publicly announced that my approach to the site (one he had helped shape) was “deeply unethical and inappropriate”, and he deleted an article that I had authored and mentioned online. Even though it wasn’t written for payment, and the subject company wasn’t even aware of the article, the co-founder mistakenly assumed it was paid content and thusly labeled it “corporate spam”. Then he indefinitely blocked my user account on the popular website, so that it could not edit any more. Some hours later, the co-founder returned to the popular website to further blast my article, calling it a “travesty of NPOV [neutral point of view]” and “corporate fluff”.

It took him about two years to finally work up the courage to publicly apologize to me for how poorly he handled the situation.

This post has been edited by thekohser:
+Quote Post
anthony

Postmaster

This whole thread reminded me to check up on one of Jimbo's other projects.
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(anthony @ Wed 30th December 2009, 1:41pm) *

Just one? Don't forget about OpenServing.com and Search.Wikia.com!
+Quote Post
Somey

QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Wed 30th December 2009, 12:36pm) *
QUOTE(Somey @ Wed 30th December 2009, 6:16pm) *
Is that their solution to the civility problem? Dinner and a movie, then maybe back to the condo for let's-just-see-how-it-goes? That's not "civility," that's "nookie." Two different things.
Worked for John and Yoko. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif)

No it didn't...

Besides, what John and Yoko were trying to do was a form of passive protest against a war, using their notoriety to draw attention to a problem. What Jimbo and Andrea are trying to do, assuming this isn't all just a big joke, is direct exploitation of an ongoing problem, using their notoriety to, in effect, gain more notoriety. (The fact that they will fail miserably notwithstanding.)

Another thing that's interesting about this is that the Wikia site currently has no links whatsoever back to civilination.org. Not one! Even the Aweckerle user page doesn't have one. However, it does say "Hi, I am Andrea, the founder of CiviliNation." Presumably if this takes off, Andrea and Jimbo will have a long, drawn-out argument over whether or not Jimbo is actually the founder.

But the ultimate hypocrisy, of course, is the "Support/Donate" page, which states:
By making a donation today, you are supporting CiviliNation’s efforts to create an online culture in which individuals can fully engage and contribute without fear or threat of being the target of unwarranted abuse, harassment, or lies.

In other words, Jimbo has set up a super-popular means for the rest of the world to heap abuse, harassment and lies on you, and now you can give money to Jimbo and his girlfriend so that they can talk about how awful this is, on another site that nobody ever reads!

And check out the logo:

I mean, at this point they really are just laughing their asses off at the rest of us. You'd think they could just go to a comedy club, or maybe read a funny book or go to a funny movie, but noooo - they have to do this.

Frankly, these people are hypocritical scum of the worst kind, and it's about time people who really care about "civility" did something to stop them.
+Quote Post
Somey

The comments section for Jimbo+Andrea's Wall Street Journal editorial are hilarious, by the way. You have to go past the first page before you get anything that isn't an argument about Fox News and the Obama Administration, but they only get better after that. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif)

At least the right-wingers aren't being fooled by any of this...
+Quote Post
bambi

The comments section of The Register article is somewhat (ahem) negative also.
+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

It's pretty clear to me after reading the Reg article that Jimmy created this to bitch about Valleywag, the Reg, and this site. It amuses me that he thinks of himself as the victim here.
+Quote Post
Somey

In case my comment on the Reg article gets moderated out of existence (though I don't see why it would, given what the other commenters are saying):
The sheer, unbridled arrogance, hypocrisy, narcissism, and utter lack of self-awareness being displayed by Mr. Wales and Ms. Weckerle here are... well, totally predictable and par for the course, actually!

The thing is, on Wikipedia, accusing someone else of failing to be civil is, itself, considered a "civility violation." Wikipedia doesn't have a civil or civilized community, what they have is enforced civility, and the people enforcing it are usually 15-year-olds who are given ban-buttons and precious little else with which to do it. Meanwhile, the current motto on Ms. Weckerle's personal blog is "Attack life, wait for nothing." Yeah, that sounds really civil to me, too.
+Quote Post
Somey

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Wed 30th December 2009, 2:19pm) *

It's pretty clear to me after reading the Reg article that Jimmy created this to bitch about Valleywag, the Reg, and this site. It amuses me that he thinks of himself as the victim here.

I agree - Valleywag is clearly the main target, and WR is probably just a sideswipe (or "afterthought," or whatever the word is, I'm sure you get the general idea). I mean, right now, if you type "Jimbo Wales is an idiot" into Google, we're not even on the first page, whereas if you type in "Jimbo Wales Andrea Weckerle," our thread on the Valleywag article is #2 and the Valleywag article itself is #4. (In both cases the Jimmy Wales WP article is #1, of course, but Jimbo's not the sort to be satisfied with personal control over the #1 result, is he?)

Appropriately enough, the Jimmy Wales' Other Other Women article, featuring Ms. Weckerle and the presumably wealthier, and more Canadian Louise Blouin MacBain, appeared on Valleywag exactly a year ago. (Civilination.org was registered on Aug. 24, 2009, using DomainsByProxy - which, I suppose, means they agree with the rest of us that the need for accountability ends just before the point where you're targeted with massive amounts of domain-registrar spam.)

I'm proud of the fact that we're still the #1 result for "jimbo wales hypocrite," at least. I guess they just wanted to throw us a bone.
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

Meanwhile, Back @ CiviliNazi.Com …

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Wed 30th December 2009, 11:34am) *

QUOTE(bambi @ Wed 30th December 2009, 11:22am) *

'Nuff Said

Jon (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/hrmph.gif)

(Your comment is [still] awaiting moderation.)

Jon (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/oldtimer.gif)
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

Channeling Shakespeare, Burgess, and Moulton @ WSJ

Jon (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)
+Quote Post
thekohser

CiviliNation is a Virginia non-profit organization in the process of obtaining federal 501©(3) status.
+Quote Post
Krimpet

Member No.: 1,975

Jimbo and his beau (Jimbo & Jimbeau?) don't seem to realize that simply being "civil" means very little. You can maintain a cheery, polite façade in every word you write, carefully crafting your remarks to avoid insult or vitriol, while still being diabolical and manipulative. It's the attitude behind the words that actually counts. It takes all kinds, and I'd personally prefer dealing with a blunt and honest person to a civil yet slippery one.
+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

QUOTE(Krimpet @ Wed 30th December 2009, 11:44pm) *
Jimbo and his beau (Jimbo & Jimbeau?) don't seem to realize that simply being "civil" means very little. You can maintain a cheery, polite façade in every word you write, carefully crafting your remarks to avoid insult or vitriol, while still being diabolical and manipulative. It's the attitude behind the words that actually counts. It takes all kinds, and I'd personally prefer dealing with a blunt and honest person to a civil yet slippery one.
Jimmy's entire approach to life relies on manipulating people while maintaining a cheery, polite facade. Wikipedia, which is crafted in his image, does not tolerate blunt honesty any more than he does.
+Quote Post
anthony

Postmaster

QUOTE(thekohser @ Wed 30th December 2009, 6:44pm) *

QUOTE(anthony @ Wed 30th December 2009, 1:41pm) *

Just one? Don't forget about OpenServing.com and Search.Wikia.com!

I assume Jimbo was a little bit more into those (especially Search Wikia, as building a search engine is something he's been interested in for a quite a while now). This one, like the homeless project, seems to be just something he lent his name to and participates in half-heartedly.
+Quote Post
thekohser

The CiviliNation wiki, hosted (with advertising that I doubt goes into the pending 501-c-3) on Wikia, Inc. servers, just got a little bit more accurate.
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

Comment № 4 → (Your comment is awaiting moderation.)

Comment № 8 → (Your comment is awaiting moderation.)

Jon (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/oldtimer.gif) Not Getting Any Younger Here
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 31st December 2009, 9:53am) *

The CiviliNation wiki, hosted (with advertising that I doubt goes into the pending 501-c-3) on Wikia, Inc. servers, just got a little bit more accurate.

Hmm... that's odd...

Your user name or IP address has been blocked.

The block was made by Angela.

* Reason given: Kohs trolling
* Start of block: 23:08, December 31, 2009
* Expiry of block: infinity
* Intended blockee: Answer Ape
* Block ID: #4800
* Current IP address: 69.xxx.yyy.zz

Angela, you are a worthless coward. Happy new year to you and that weasel you work with at Wikia.

I would encourage anyone in the world to help keep the following content inserted in cybercivility.wikia.com:

In October 2006, Jimmy Wales publicly [http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk:Wikipedia Review&diff=prev&oldid=79585610 announced] that the Wikipedia Review approach to Wikipedia (an approach that Wales himself, six weeks earlier, had helped to shape) was “deeply unethical and inappropriate”, and he [http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3ALog&type=&user=&page=Arch+Coal&year=2006&month=10&tagfilter= deleted] the Wikipedia article about Arch Coal that Wikipedia Review had authored and [http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia_talk:Editing_with_a_conflict_of_interest&diff=prev&oldid=79593222 mentioned] online. Even though it wasn’t written for payment, and the Arch Coal company wasn’t even aware of the article, Wales mistakenly assumed it was paid content and thusly labeled it “corporate spam”. Then he indefinitely [http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3ALog&type=block&user=&page=User%3AWikipedia Review&year=2006&month=10&tagfilter= blocked] the Wikipedia Review user account on Wikipedia, so that it could not edit any more. Some hours later, Wales returned to Wikipedia to further blast the article about Arch Coal, [http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia:Deletion_review/Log/2006_October_5&diff=prev&oldid=79737021 calling it] a “travesty of NPOV [neutral point of view]” and “corporate fluff”.  Wales also went to the blocked Wikipedia Review User page on Wikipedia and wrote a screed against the business there: "hiring Wikipedia Review... is counterproductive and unethical".  One of his [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Peter_M_Dodge/Outreach minions] then put the polemic in white lettering on a black background, just to make it stand out more.

It took Wales over two years to [http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Talk%3AArch_Coal&diff=258731121&oldid=224255965 finally apologize] for how he acted and how poorly he handled the situation.  Now Wales is admonishing others, through CiviliNation, to be nice to others on the Internet.  Do as I say, not as I do, we suppose.

+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 31st December 2009, 10:12pm) *
Angela, you are a worthless coward. Happy new year to you and that weasel you work with at Wikia.

And you're a brave one, you are, Gregg-O.

(Nope, sorry, I won't touch this. Just ignore the whole thing. I suspect that this wiki
will die out from lack of interest. The juice-drinkers don't want "civility", they want to
have power.....to abuse others with no consequences. This wiki would accomplish nothing
for them--it won't even give them that bizarre wiki editing high.)

The more of this shit I see, the more I think Jimbo's got some kid of evil brain power
that allows him to glamour people, and enslave them (or at least make them stalk him).

Like a vampire. Or better, like Rachel on Misfits.
Now, if only Jimbo would fall off a roof. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)

This post has been edited by EricBarbour:
+Quote Post
anthony

Postmaster

QUOTE(thekohser @ Thu 31st December 2009, 2:53pm) *

Now now Greg, stop trolling. You know that Wikia and CiviliNation are completely separate.
+Quote Post
thekohser

They're calling in reinforcements at Wikia's CiviliNation.

Looks like there were a lot of new accounts made today -- none of those I'll quote here were mine, by the way.

# 14:07, January 1, 2010 ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Angela loves the taste of a good dick (Talk | contribs) New user account ‎
# 14:06, January 1, 2010 ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! This user creation interface is crammed with squares and rectangles (Talk | contribs) New user account ‎
# 14:05, January 1, 2010 ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Jimmy and his gold-plated washing machine (Talk | contribs) New user account ‎
# 14:03, January 1, 2010 ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Angela likes big thangs in the mouth (Talk | contribs) New user account

What a shame, that a site intended to stamp out meanies on the Internet would attract so many meanies!
+Quote Post
wikademia.org

Gloible Foible

Group: On Vacation
Member No.: 10,113

QUOTE(Krimpet @ Wed 30th December 2009, 9:44pm) *

i would hope to deal with humans who are civil, polite, respectful, honest, and considerate... or at least try to do all those things...

rather than just one who mindlessly follows policies, avoids being "a d----", avoids legal threats, ignores all rules, and bla bla bla bla bla.

but the world ain't a perfect one, so oh well. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif) <3
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

Comment № 4 → (Your comment is awaiting moderation.)

Comment № 8 → (Your comment is awaiting moderation.)

Comment № 10 → (Your comment is awaiting moderation.)

I begin to get the feeling that Dubya, Dubya, and Company are not really serious about collecting Our Stories of Online Hostility (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/huh.gif)

Say It Ain't So, Jimbo (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ohmy.gif)

Jon (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
Somey

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Fri 1st January 2010, 3:39am) *
Just ignore the whole thing. I suspect that this wiki will die out from lack of interest.

It already has. The recent "trolling" appears to be the most action it's seen since its inception.

Now, if only Jimbo would fall off a roof.

I doubt any self-respecting roof would let him get anywhere near it...!
+Quote Post
everyking

Postmaster

QUOTE(Krimpet @ Thu 31st December 2009, 6:44am) *

First of all, we can easily police name-calling and profanity--we really can't police slick manipulation. Secondly, even a slick manipulator contributes to a calm and peaceful atmosphere by refraining from angry outbursts when under stress. At the end of the day, you can maintain a community even when a lot of polite manipulation occurs, but you can't maintain a community when people are screaming at each other all the time. Real life is no different.
+Quote Post
Somey

QUOTE(everyking @ Sat 2nd January 2010, 1:38pm) *
First of all, we can easily police name-calling and profanity--we really can't police slick manipulation. Secondly, even a slick manipulator contributes to a calm and peaceful atmosphere by refraining from angry outbursts when under stress. At the end of the day, you can maintain a community even when a lot of polite manipulation occurs, but you can't maintain a community when people are screaming at each other all the time. Real life is no different.

This is all wrong, EK.

First, we've all seen on Wikipedia, and with other dysfunctional communities (including families), that if you impose artificial civility requirements, people will simply redefine the terms involved - so that comments which would be seen as harmless by anyone else become "personal attacks" within the dysfunctional community.

Second, this is clearly "all or nothing" thinking. Adjusting the civility requirements to be more in line with real-world term definitions won't result in "people are screaming at each other all the time," it will result in people using easily-recognized conflict words some of the time, hopefully when the situation actually calls for it. What you have now is a situation where people who have been fully inculcated into the cult community have one standard, and people who haven't been inculcated have another, and the former group uses their higher standard as a cudgel against the latter group. This is how cults should work, and do work - but not encyclopedias.

Third, what does the phrase "maintain the community" really mean? Presumably it means the three basic tasks of keeping people around, bringing new people in, and getting rid of undesirables. Artificial civility rules don't do a very good job of any of those things - they represent short-term, limited thinking, the idea that if WP'ers are forced to be nice to people on the surface, they'll stick around long enough to allow themselves to be indoctrinated, and/or addicted. That isn't going to work forever, assuming it ever did. Besides, WP's focus has always been on bringing more people in, often at the expense of the other two things.

There's no fourth thing, but that's only because I have to go and do something non-internet-related now.
+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

QUOTE(Somey @ Sat 2nd January 2010, 1:59pm) *
Artificial civility rules don't do a very good job of any of those things - they represent short-term, limited thinking, the idea that if WP'ers are forced to be nice to people on the surface, they'll stick around long enough to allow themselves to be indoctrinated, and/or addicted. That isn't going to work forever, assuming it ever did. Besides, WP's focus has always been on bringing more people in, often at the expense of the other two things.
And that's the real point of the civility rules: don't scare off the recruits until you've got them addicted. The problem that Wikipedia needs to get past, in this area at least, is that quantity is no substitute for quality. But Wikipedia's leadership is not interested in quality, and so nothing will be done.
+Quote Post
TungstenCarbide

Allegedly shot down by stray Ukrainian missile

QUOTE(thekohser @ Fri 1st January 2010, 6:12am) *

Greg, this kind of comment is uncalled for. I think you should apologize to her. She's neither worthless or a coward.

This post has been edited by TungstenCarbide:
+Quote Post
Emperor

Postmaster

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Fri 1st January 2010, 4:39am) *

The more of this shit I see, the more I think Jimbo's got some kid of evil brain power
that allows him to glamour people, and enslave them (or at least make them stalk him).

Like a vampire. ...

Jimbo is a stud. I can only hope to become half the godking he is.

QUOTE(Somey @ Sat 2nd January 2010, 2:59pm) *

First, we've all seen on Wikipedia, and with other dysfunctional communities (including families), that if you impose artificial civility requirements, people will simply redefine the terms involved - so that comments which would be seen as harmless by anyone else become "personal attacks" within the dysfunctional community.

Nice observation.
+Quote Post
anthony

Postmaster

QUOTE(TungstenCarbide @ Sun 3rd January 2010, 12:23am) *

Greg, this kind of comment is uncalled for. I think you should apologize to her. She's neither worthless or a coward.

In all honesty I think any anger you have directed at Angela is probably misplaced.
+Quote Post
WordBomb

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(bambi @ Wed 30th December 2009, 9:22am) *
http://civilination.org/news/about-2/board-of-directors/

Share your stories of online hostility on this website, and see if Jimbo is hostile toward your story.
While my story of incivility remains held for moderation, to his credit I did get email from Jimbo this morning asking me to forward him the email I referenced in my comment. I did so, and am hopeful of hearing back from him about it.

In the meantime, here's what I submitted:
QUOTE(me)
It’s ironic that Jimbo Wales, co-founder of Wikipedia, would be on the board of this group, considering Wikipedia is one of the most hostile online environments I’ve encountered.

Here’s my story.

I discovered that a former journalist was violating multiple Wikipedia policies in the course of dramatically skewing articles relating to a specific form of stock market fraud. Basically, he was trying to cover the crime up. I blogged about what I had found, and one day, discovered a Wikipedia article about me had been created. It’s sources were comprised of nothing but this former journalist and his friends. The article was grossly slanted.

Recently, I’ve come to possess a series of private email exchanges in which this article is discussed. The person who created it admits that he did it to harm me. He was proud of that fact.

Jimbo Wales was on that email list, but did nothing.

Fortunately, the article was eventually removed, no thanks to Mr. Wales.

Because the content of those emails would be of interest to folks here, I've started a new thread about it. You can read it here.
+Quote Post
dtobias

Obsessive trolling idiot [per JzG]

Member No.: 962

My comment is still "awaiting moderation" too:

I was called an “obsessive trolling idiot” by a powerful administrator on a popular website because I took a stand against attempts by that administrator and his friends to suppress criticism of the site.

Only two comments have actually been approved, one from somebody named Jimmy who's openly gay and has been gay-bashed (obviously not Wales, since his known sleeping-around has been purely heterosexual), and somebody named Linda praising the WSJ article.

----------------
Now playing: Sha-Na-Na - Rock' N Roll Is Here To Stay
via FoxyTunes
+Quote Post
RDH(Ghost In The Machine)

And the admins broke Piggy's glasses...

Member No.: 15,578

So this is Whimbo's answer to incivility-the creation of virtual "gated communities" where a faux facade of civility is selectively enforced.
I personally would rather live in Bartertown than in his pathetic attempt to create a Galttown online.

Really Jimmy, please clean up the dump in your own yard before trying to tell others how to keep theirs!
+Quote Post
Piperdown

Fat Cat

Wasn't "Jimmy" Wales the guy who once uttered "shoot on sight" in the WP Wagon Circling around Gary Weiss's victim act?

Yup.

So much for civility. Once a putz always a putz.
+Quote Post
wikademia.org

Gloible Foible

QUOTE(RDH(Ghost In The Machine) @ Sat 2nd January 2010, 6:35pm) *

So this is Whimbo's answer to incivility-the creation of virtual "gated communities" where a faux facade of civility is selectively enforced.
I personally would rather live in Bartertown than in his pathetic attempt to create a Galttown online.

Really Jimmy, please clean up the dump in your own yard before trying to tell others how to keep theirs!

interesting you point this out...

one thing that really i wonder about is /culture/.... maybe this is their norm.... maybe this is what they are used to... what a shame to be reared that way though, maybe. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/hrmph.gif) hrphh.. ... maybe all that /is/ culturally /acceptable/ to them... maybe that is what they are used to and they don't know any better.... but ya... if it is culture, or even if it is not.. then it is sort of like a /gated/ community as you say.... and perhaps there is a faux facade... i dunno. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/hrmph.gif) hrrph.
+Quote Post
Somey

QUOTE(dtobias @ Sat 2nd January 2010, 8:09pm) *
Only two comments have actually been approved, one from somebody named Jimmy who's openly gay and has been gay-bashed (obviously not Wales, since his known sleeping-around has been purely heterosexual), and somebody named Linda praising the WSJ article.

It's odd, because Ms. Weckerle doesn't moderate the comments on her personal site, though she claims to do so.

This is currently what's on her Policy Page:
  • Feel free to post your thoughts and feedback. You may question or debate this blog’s content or comments, but be civil and productive in doing so.
  • Use your real name. This blog’s posts are written under a real name, and commenters are expected to provide their real names as well.
  • Anonymous comments won’t be accepted.
  • Comments that contain insults, rude or offensive or abusive language, threats, or are personal attacks on someone’s character, are not permitted. This is a moderated site and comments that fall outside these parameters will not be published.
  • Anyone who violates this Comments Policy may be blocked from future commenting on this blog.

This page is itself a blog entry, so people are allowed to comment on it. Here's the sole comment for the "Policy" entry, dated May 11, 2009:
QUOTE(fattUtews @ May 11, 2009 at 4:58 pm)
I have just found this great forum with the subject on the organic farming.
http://www.organic-farming.org
Great ways to eat only good and healthy food. To prepere yourself for upcoming years of hunger.

There are arround 1000 members and 10000 of threads for you to read and participate in most likely one of the biggest problems on earth!

Admittedly, WR's own blog isn't maintained as well as it should be, but at least we took the trouble to install Akismet? Compared to spam, incivility is a trifling problem on the internets, and you'll find very few people willing to argue against that assertion.
+Quote Post
tarantino

the Dude abides

Jimmy and Andrea apparently met in October 2007 when she interviewed him in San Francisco.

Here's a photo of them sharing a quiet dinner at Eve's in October 2008.
(IMG:http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg231/sonitnarat/J_and_A.jpg)
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(TungstenCarbide @ Sat 2nd January 2010, 7:23pm) *

Why do you come to her defense? I am willing to discuss her removal of my freely-licensed content from the website where my contribution was expressly requested. I will discuss it on Wikia, or on Wikipedia Review. Where is she?
+Quote Post
TungstenCarbide

QUOTE(thekohser @ Sun 3rd January 2010, 5:56am) *

Why do you come to her defense? I am willing to discuss her removal of my freely-licensed content from the website where my contribution was expressly requested. I will discuss it on Wikia, or on Wikipedia Review. Where is she?

This site can't be taken seriously if the things people say here are wrong. Angela is no coward and she's not worthless. You're wrong, Greg, and your comments were uncalled for. She didn't do anything to merit that type of nastiness. You should apologize to her.
+Quote Post
Somey

QUOTE(TungstenCarbide @ Sun 3rd January 2010, 11:23am) *
This site can't be taken seriously if the things people say here are wrong. Angela is no coward and she's not worthless.

Angela Beesley is a courageous warrior for the cause of freedom (assuming that by "freedom," we mean the freedom of websites all over the world to operate without the participation of Gregory Kohs).

Of course, I should note that back in 2001, Bill Maher got fired from ABC for saying that it "took a lot of guts" for the 9/11 terrorists to fly airplanes into skyscrapers, and that this was said in response to people who referred to the terrorists as "cowards."

I'm a coward too, but at least I admit it! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(TungstenCarbide @ Sun 3rd January 2010, 12:23pm) *

QUOTE(thekohser @ Sun 3rd January 2010, 5:56am) *

Angela, you are a worthless coward. Happy new year to you and that weasel you work with at Wikia. I am sorry for saying that about you, Angela. It was an overreaction to your deleting something that I had spent considerable time working on. Your repeated removal of legitimate content on a website that requested just these types of contributions strikes me as a somewhat cowardly action by an otherwise delightful person. Happy new year to you, and good luck working with Jimmy Wales, even though I have found him to exhibit behaviors that place him in the realm of "the weasel" on the animal personality test.

This site can't be taken seriously if the things people say here are wrong. Angela is no coward and she's not worthless. You're wrong, Greg, and your comments were uncalled for. She didn't do anything to merit that type of nastiness. You should apologize to her.

There, how's that?
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

QUOTE(tarantino @ Sun 3rd January 2010, 12:31am) *

Jimmy and Andrea apparently met in October 2007 when she interviewed him in San Francisco.

Here's a photo of them sharing a quiet dinner at Eve's in October 2008.
(IMG:http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg231/sonitnarat/J_and_A.jpg)

That's the kind of photo wives get pissed about.
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

I'm guessing the "advice" goes a bit like this —

"You want NPOV™? — Send me something Tasty!"
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Sun 3rd January 2010, 1:47pm) *

At least six months after the affair with Marsden? I hardly think Christine would be more than just a smidgen more miffed about her ex/separated/consider-myself-single(?)-husband by this photo.
+Quote Post
TungstenCarbide

QUOTE(Somey @ Sun 3rd January 2010, 6:27pm) *

QUOTE(TungstenCarbide @ Sun 3rd January 2010, 11:23am) *
This site can't be taken seriously if the things people say here are wrong. Angela is no coward and she's not worthless.

Angela Beesley is a courageous warrior for the cause of freedom (assuming that by "freedom," we mean the freedom of websites all over the world to operate without the participation of Gregory Kohs).

Of course, I should note that back in 2001, Bill Maher got fired from ABC for saying that it "took a lot of guts" for the 9/11 terrorists to fly airplanes into skyscrapers, and that this was said in response to people who referred to the terrorists as "cowards."

I'm a coward too, but at least I admit it! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)

I used to be a coward too, and eager to please, and overly nice. But forty years of abuse and harassment fixed me right up. Hey look, I have no problem with two skunks getting into a pissing match - it's a recreation I partake of myself on occasion. But meeting Angela's finger wagging with a sledge hammer doesn't do this site or Kohs' cause any favors.

QUOTE(thekohser @ Sun 3rd January 2010, 6:33pm) *
There, how's that?
thanks
+Quote Post
thekohser

Since our two-cents-worth doesn't seem to be registering with either CiviliNation.org's message board, or with the corresponding Wikia wiki, I decided to make my two-cents-worth financial contribution to CiviliNation, via PayPal.

I phoned up the contact number that appeared in the PayPal receipt. It went to voicemail, saying, "I'm not available to take your call at this time", then the automated prompt noted, "This user's mailbox is full. No messages may be left at this time". I tried one more time to call, and I got a female who answered, "Hello?" I asked, "Hello, is this CiviliNation?"

Pause.

Click.

I'm glad my $0.02 is going to such a good cause!
+Quote Post
Piperdown

Fat Cat

QUOTE(thekohser @ Sun 3rd January 2010, 7:51pm) *

I phoned up the contact number that appeared in the PayPal receipt. It went to voicemail, saying, "I'm not available to take your call at this time", then the automated prompt noted, "This user's mailbox is full. No messages may be left at this time". I tried one more time to call, and I got a female who answered, "Hello?" I asked, "Hello, is this CiviliNation?"

Pause.

Click.

How un-civil.
+Quote Post
Somey

I'll admit we've already discussed this whole silly business to death, but I just checked, and apparently both "civilinternet.org" and "civilplanet.org" are available domain names. Why not go with one of those, instead of "civilination.org," a not-so-clever pun on "civilization"? Are Andrea and Jimbo being US-centric in some way by deriving from the word "nation"?
+Quote Post
MBisanz

QUOTE(thekohser @ Sun 3rd January 2010, 8:51pm) *

Since our two-cents-worth doesn't seem to be registering with either CiviliNation.org's message board, or with the corresponding Wikia wiki, I decided to make my two-cents-worth financial contribution to CiviliNation, via PayPal.

Pause.

Click.

I'm glad my $0.02 is going to such a good cause!

Please tell me you at least first tried a reverse whitepages on it...
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

Gee, this thread is getting more traffic than Civilination itself.....
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(MBisanz @ Sun 3rd January 2010, 4:55pm) *

I didn't, but now I just did. It resolves to an unlisted Richmond, VA cellular number.

Andrea Weckerle's biography:

Prior to joining Livingston Communications, Weckerle owned her own boutique communications agency and also worked in management and legal consulting positions with Ernst & Young, LLP. She has a Masters in Conflict Analysis & Resolution/ PR from George Mason University and a Juris Doctor from the University of Richmond's T.C. Williams School of Law.

+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

QUOTE(thekohser @ Sun 3rd January 2010, 2:42pm) *

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Sun 3rd January 2010, 1:47pm) *

At least six months after the affair with Marsden? I hardly think Christine would be more than just a smidgen more miffed about her ex/separated/consider-myself-single(?)-husband by this photo.

You still have something to learn about women. No, I believe that a wife would hate that photo even more than the eBay auction of the semen stained trophy garment by the shameless paramour.
+Quote Post
Somey

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Sun 3rd January 2010, 8:18pm) *
You still have something to learn about women. No, I believe that a wife would be hate that photo even more than the eBay auction of the semen stained trophy garment by the shameless paramour.

It depends on the woman in question, but in general I'd have to agree - with Marsden, it would have been obvious to others that Jimbo got what he deserved for straying, but a photo of Jimbo and the new girlfriend looking happy together has almost the opposite effect.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(Krimpet @ Wed 30th December 2009, 10:44pm) *

As evidence for which, consider your average American courtroom, where civility is enforced in a completely totalitarian style, without any of the usual regard for individual rights. And yet where truth and justice are often still among the first victims. Strangely, civility per se is rather over-rated as a method for guaranteeing that you'll approach these things.

But the law does accomplish some things, no? Well, keeping in mind all the known failures of modern jurisprudence, remove the successes also. It's Wikipedia, after all. So, you may keep the image of a courtroom with its enforced civility and a judge tribunal, BUT.... your judges are now pimplefaced-gameboys. The lawyers, too. Mostly anonymous ones. There is no appellate. Remove all semblance of due process, and forget you ever heard of stare decisis. Had enough? Wait till you see what happens to expert testimony.... (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/rolleyes.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/wink.gif)

Mock Moot Milton
+Quote Post
Somey

And another thing.

I was looking over Andrea Weckerle's tweets just now, and at some point during the summer, she seems to have completely shifted gears, switching from a high degree of interest in chemical food additives, free-range chickens, childhood obesity, and so on, to cyberstalking and cybercivility. I think it must have happened in the late-August, early-September timeframe.

There's something fishy about this - the unwanted attention from Valleywag might explain her interest in "cybercivility," but that was over a year ago. It doesn't explain her almost-complete abandonment of health- and food-related issues, late last summer - it makes me wonder if her law firm either lost or gained a client in the food industry.

It's not the money, it's the recipes... (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/confused.gif)
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

QUOTE(Somey @ Sun 3rd January 2010, 10:32pm) *

I was looking over Andrea Weckerle's tweets just now, and at some point during the summer, she seems to have completely shifted gears, switching from a high degree of interest in chemical food additives, free-range chickens, childhood obesity, and so on, to cyberstalking and cybercivility.
There's something fishy about this - the unwanted attention from Valleywag might explain her interest in "cybercivility," but that was over a year ago. It doesn't explain her almost-complete abandonment of health- and food-related issues, late last summer - it makes me wonder if her law firm either lost or gained a client in the food industry.

She would not be the first attorney to use her blog to troll for business. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/evilgrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

QUOTE(Somey @ Sun 3rd January 2010, 4:51pm) *

I'll admit we've already discussed this whole silly business to death, but I just checked, and apparently both "civilinternet.org" and "civilplanet.org" are available domain names. Why not go with one of those, instead of "civilination.org," a not-so-clever pun on "civilization"? Are Andrea and Jimbo being US-centric in some way by deriving from the word "nation"?

I think it's short for CiviliNationalSockalist

They probably had a contest to see if anybody could come up with a dumber name than Citizendium and more insulting than the qui-vive “Are You A Citizen?”.

I suspect they are probably looking into the market for Pseudo-Class Pseudo-Action Pseudo-Suits on behalf of Pseudo-Defamed Pseudo-Nymphs.

Jon (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(Somey @ Mon 4th January 2010, 1:32am) *

I was looking over Andrea Weckerle's tweets just now...

It looks like Andrea may be interviewed soon by Shel Holtz on his PR-related podcast.

Back in 2007, Shel spent a few minutes talking about Centiare.com and Wikipedia Review. (Jump to 35:32 in the segment.)

So, I guess we do live in a small world.
+Quote Post
thekohser

As long as Jimbo and Andrea can accept cash donations, even though CiviliNation isn't a 501-c-3, you have to figure that I've been missing out on a golden opportunity at Wikipedia Review all these years.

Well, no more!
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

Talk to your lawyer about this Greg. Some states have laws requiring a solicitation license only made available to non-profits but not requiring a 501( c ) (3).
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Tue 5th January 2010, 12:09pm) *

Talk to your lawyer about this Greg. Some states have laws requiring a solicitation license only made available to non-profits but not requiring a 501( c ) (3).

Thanks, Glass. My counsel said that I shouldn't have any need for licensing my solicitation, though he advised that I add "though not tax-deductible" to the message. Of course, I will have to declare any of this as personal income. So, I'm ready for the money to start ROLLING IN, just about as fast as those "stories of online incivility" are getting published on CiviliNation.
+Quote Post
tarantino

the Dude abides

QUOTE(Somey @ Mon 4th January 2010, 6:32am) *

And another thing.

I was looking over Andrea Weckerle's tweets just now, and at some point during the summer, she seems to have completely shifted gears, switching from a high degree of interest in chemical food additives, free-range chickens, childhood obesity, and so on, to cyberstalking and cybercivility. I think it must have happened in the late-August, early-September timeframe.

It's not the money, it's the recipes... (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/confused.gif)

This is kind of interesting. While on a camping trip last summer with his daughter, Jimmy filmed this 'Fun video "endorsement"' for ITK Raw Energy Bars.

ITK is a company that was co-founded by Andrea along with nutritionist Lisa Wilson in 2008. At the moment, it seems to have little presence outside of their own website.
+Quote Post
wikademia.org

Gloible Foible

is it just me, or is he using child labor to produce commercials? how low will he go? what a nice guy, though. well; everyone has to pay the bills. let's just keep it legal.

This post has been edited by wikademia.org:
+Quote Post
Somey

QUOTE(tarantino @ Thu 7th January 2010, 2:09pm) *
ITK is a company that was co-founded by Andrea along with nutritionist Lisa Wilson in 2008. At the moment, it seems to have little presence outside of their own website.

Ahh, well then - that explains it, probably. She got interested in nutrition and food additives whenshe and this other person started an energy-bar company, and when the company failed to take off, she lost interest in nutrition and food additives.

Happens all the time... (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/bored.gif)

QUOTE(wikademia.org @ Thu 7th January 2010, 2:11pm) *
is it just me, or is he using child labor to produce commercials? how low will he go?

Let's not jump to conclusions here - he probably just borrowed the camera. Still, I wonder how much an endorsement by Jimbo would be worth, to a typical company? $5? $10? If it were a product he might actually be expected to know about, like, say, mirrored ceiling tiles, I would think he could get something in the low three-figures, at least.
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

QUOTE(tarantino @ Thu 7th January 2010, 3:09pm) *

QUOTE(Somey @ Mon 4th January 2010, 6:32am) *

And another thing.

This is kind of interesting. While on a camping trip last summer with his daughter, Jimmy filmed this 'Fun video "endorsement"' for ITK Raw Energy Bars.

Boy, does he sound whipped or what? Raw food is a harsh and trendy cuisine cut off from all traditional vegetarian cuisines. These traditional cuisines take hundreds or even thousands of years to develop. The application of heat to food to make it more attractive is up there with language as milestone for our species. Ignoring this does fit in with the Wikipedian "let us remake everything as we go along" without due consideration of what has come before. Very much in line with the cult of the amateur.
+Quote Post
Greaser

Neophyte

QUOTE(thekohser @ Sun 3rd January 2010, 8:00pm) *

QUOTE(MBisanz @ Sun 3rd January 2010, 4:55pm) *

I didn't, but now I just did. It resolves to an unlisted Richmond, VA cellular number.

Andrea Weckerle's biography:

Prior to joining Livingston Communications, Weckerle owned her own boutique communications agency and also worked in management and legal consulting positions with Ernst & Young, LLP. She has a Masters in Conflict Analysis & Resolution/ PR from George Mason University and a Juris Doctor from the University of Richmond's T.C. Williams School of Law.

Looks like Ms. Weckerle might be BLP-worthy, or at least BLP-Stub worthy. There are six listings under "Published work" in Jimbo's bio on Wikipedia that list her as a co-author, all dating since 2008-12-31. Now if that isn't a reliable source, I don't know what is!

This post has been edited by Greaser:
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Fri 8th January 2010, 12:35pm) *

Boy, does he sound whipped or what? Raw food is a harsh and trendy cuisine cut off from all traditional vegetarian cuisines. These traditional cuisines take hundreds or even thousands of years to develop. The application of heat to food to make it more attractive is up there with language as milestone for our species. Ignoring this does fit in with the Wikipedian "let us remake everything as we go along" without due consideration of what has come before. Very much in line with the cult of the amateur.

Oh, boy, how true that is. Humans have been using fire for so long we have odd genes and behaviors that keep us close to it. Have you ever considered how weird it is that people sit around a fire, mesmerized by it, for hours? I think that's because our bored ancestors who yawned and went out into the darkness left fewer offspring. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ermm.gif) I thought about that this year as I spent New Year's night on a tropical beach in a little Caribbean country, doing a conga line around a bonfire.

It's even more-so when it comes to cooking, which kills all kinds of parasites and bursts vegetable cell walls to release all kinds of other nutrients that your digestive tract (which can't get through cellulose) would otherwise be denied. People who didn't like the taste of cooked food apparently left fewer ancestors as well.

What is the taste of cooked food? Well, that bottled smoke in a bottle they use for barbecue sauce. General browning and glazing and all the surface stuff produced by grilling and broiling, from meat to toast. The smell of cigarette and cigar smoke (which may actually contribute to tobacco addition). By the time this stuff gives you cancer, you've reproduced already, so the selective pressures are all acting in your early life where you need the nutrients and not the parasites.

Thinking about it, I'm shocked at how many ways we've found to sneak the taste of burned wood into things, from smoked meats to burned wood casks for wine to charcoal filtering for whisky to the smoke that turns barley to malt for beer (just about any alcoholic beverage which isn't transparent has been smoked or "cooked" in some way-- I drank rum around that bonfire). We retain those backyard barbecues alongside our microwave ovens for a reason!

Interestingly, domesticated dogs have been with us around the fire for some many thousand years that THEY have developed a taste for cooked food, too. Cats haven't, yet. They're newer companions and this is another way they show it.

Interesting, eh?

MR
+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Fri 8th January 2010, 3:28pm) *
Interestingly, domesticated dogs have been with us around the fire for some many thousand years that THEY have developed a taste for cooked food, too. Cats haven't, yet. They're newer companions and this is another way they show it.
Also reflects the different roles of dogs versus cats as companion animals. Dogs are used as utility animals, in many different ways: protection, assistance in hunting, and transportation are just some of these. However, we do not generally use dogs for their ability to catch and eat vermin, and (with a few exceptions) dogs are not very good at this. Cats, on the other hand, until very recently were employed almost exclusively for the purpose of catching vermin. Altering the dietary preference of the cat would have reduced its utility as a companion animal; the same is not true of dogs.
+Quote Post
Cedric

General Gato

Member No.: 1,116

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Fri 8th January 2010, 4:05pm) *

Also reflects the different roles of dogs versus cats as companion animals. Dogs are used as utility animals, in many different ways: protection, assistance in hunting, and transportation are just some of these. However, we do not generally use dogs for their ability to catch and eat vermin, and (with a few exceptions) dogs are not very good at this. Cats, on the other hand, until very recently were employed almost exclusively for the purpose of catching vermin. Altering the dietary preference of the cat would have reduced its utility as a companion animal; the same is not true of dogs.

Moles are one of those exceptions. Both cats and dogs will ruthlessly hunt and kill moles, but will not eat them. Both will also leave the kill on your stoop in a "Look at what I did, Mom and Dad!" kind of gesture.

Little showoffs. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
thekohser

I wish Jimbo had not traveled to Michigan's Isle Royale to shoot these commercials with his daughter. He should just stay out of Jon Awbrey's, Lar's, and my home state. (Did I miss anyone?)
+Quote Post
Somey

Well, after a visit to the local health-food store, I think I see the problem. A box of 25 "GoRaw" Spirulina energy bars, sold by market-leading Freeland Foods, costs $53.80, and a 25-bar variety "kit" only costs $45.75. Meanwhile, a box of only 15 ITK Original Raw Energy Bars costs a whopping $59.55, and you can't buy them one-at-a-time, either. Moreover, the GoRaw bars are 1.7 ounces each, whereas the ITK bars are only 1.5 ounces.

So, obviously they've priced themselves out of the market from the get-go, right in the midst of a recessionary economy - hardly the way to get your product off the ground, I'm afraid. In Marketing 101, you learn that new food products must compete on price if they're to have any chance of significant retail penetration.

Still, I'm sure they're very tasty if you eat them in person... (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

QUOTE(Somey @ Sat 9th January 2010, 12:41am) *

Well, after a visit to the local health-food store, I think I see the problem. A box of 25 "GoRaw" Spirulina energy bars, sold by market-leading Freeland Foods, costs $53.80, and a 25-bar variety "kit" only costs $45.75. Meanwhile, a box of only 15 ITK Original Raw Energy Bars costs a whopping $59.55, and you can't buy them one-at-a-time, either. Moreover, the GoRaw bars are 1.7 ounces each, whereas the ITK bars are only 1.5 ounces.

So, obviously they've priced themselves out of the market from the get-go, right in the midst of a recessionary economy - hardly the way to get your product off the ground, I'm afraid. In Marketing 101, you learn that new food products must compete on price if they're to have any chance of significant retail penetration.

Still, I'm sure they're very tasty if you eat them in person... (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)

It is a strange market though. Some people seem pleased to pay much more money for items that perform worse (in taste, appearance etc.) Crapiness and sacrifice are more important than even the integrity of the ingredients and preparation processes, even when measured by their own flaky standards. Asceticism is part of the appeal, I suppose. I hope Mr Wales enjoys the life style.
+Quote Post
everyking

Postmaster

When I think of Jimbo and civility, all that comes to mind is the time he attacked me as a "wikianarchist" and troll enabler, and then the time he e-mailed me to threaten me with a ban for "trolling on Wikipedia Review". I think this girl should find someone who actually gives a damn about civility.
+Quote Post
CharlotteWebb

Postmaster General

QUOTE(everyking @ Sat 9th January 2010, 4:21pm) *

I think this girl should find someone who actually gives a damn about civility.

Maybe so, but who? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/unsure.gif)
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey

QUOTE(thekohser @ Fri 8th January 2010, 10:26pm) *

I wish Jimbo had not traveled to Michigan's Isle Royale …

Nothing up there but wolves … kinda fitting I guess …

Jon (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/oldtimer.gif)

P.S. Sorry, I shouldn't ⊥petuate the cliche defamation of wolves — all the animal ethologists tell us they're admirably civil critters.
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

QUOTE(everyking @ Sat 9th January 2010, 11:21am) *

When I think of Jimbo and civility, all that comes to mind is the time he attacked me as a "wikianarchist" and troll enabler, and then the time he e-mailed me to threaten me with a ban for "trolling on Wikipedia Review". I think this girl should find someone who actually gives a damn about civility.

I think you got it backwards. As Somey has pointed out concern about internet civility is a very recent interest for Ms. Weckerle. She is certainly the kind of person ready to sign up for cause, raw food or whatever. It is her relationship with Mr. Wales that has probably spurred her new passion for civility on the internet. Mr. Wales interest has been long establish. He has used "civility" as a tool to manipulate against anyone that opposes him on his own website. He is (rightfully) vilified across much of the internet for his selfishness, manipulation and hucksterism. He regularly takes a public relations hit for the toxic atmosphere that pervades WP. He is the one with the interest in "civility." Ms. Weckerle is just along for the ride. She'll move on to seal hunting or something else soon enough.

All Mr. Wales has to do in the meantime is use his medicine show spiel to sell raw huckster bars.
+Quote Post
thekohser

Looks like CiviliNation has posted another comment on its "Tell us your stories" page, bringing the grand total after about 4 weeks from two, up to three.

Patrick Ross, January 6, 2010

It was great to learn about this site as a result of the recent op-ed in the Wall Street Journal, the message of which I fully support. I’ve included a link to the article in the Resources section of icivility.com, a web site dedicated to improving online discourse. We appear to have very similar missions, although icivility.com operates without funding from any foundations, corporations or individuals.

Good luck, and may we all make an impact!

CiviliNation is now catapulting up the Alexa rankings -- holding the coveted 2,577,283rd most-popular spot on the Internet!

+Quote Post
Somey

QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 11th January 2010, 10:50am) *
CiviliNation is now catapulting up the Alexa rankings -- holding the coveted 2,577,283rd most-popular spot on the Internet!

I especially liked this quote from iCivility.com, though:
Patrick Ross is a personal project of his and is not in any way connected with any professional or other association he may have.

I think it's important that you always treat yourself as a "personal project" of... yourself, and not try to "connect" it with anything else that may be going on in your life. Helps prevent unnecessary confusion! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)

Meanwhile, we should all nominate each other for Profiles in Civility. I'll nominate Victim of Censorship, of course, so that someone else can nominate Ottava and RHMED. (I'd suggest GlassBeadGame too, but since he's a moderator, he's probably too obvious.)
+Quote Post
Trick cyclist

Fortunately Denmark palmed Norway off to Sweden in 1814

Group: Inactive

QUOTE(Somey @ Mon 11th January 2010, 7:11pm) *

someone else can nominate Ottava and RHMED.

Err ... if you mean people who post on your excellent, well-run site, there's no such poster as RHMED. There is of course one called RMHED ...

http://wikipediareview.com/index.php?showuser=11716

Not that I care one way or the other of course, but some people might.
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(Somey @ Wed 30th December 2009, 5:06pm) *

I agree - Valleywag is clearly the main target, and WR is probably just a sideswipe (or "afterthought," or whatever the word is, I'm sure you get the general idea). I mean, right now, if you type "Jimbo Wales is an idiot" into Google, we're not even on the first page, whereas if you type in "Jimbo Wales Andrea Weckerle," our thread on the Valleywag article is #2 and the Valleywag article itself is #4. (In both cases the Jimmy Wales WP article is #1, of course, but Jimbo's not the sort to be satisfied with personal control over the #1 result, is he?)

Appropriately enough, the Jimmy Wales' Other Other Women article, featuring Ms. Weckerle and the presumably wealthier,
and more Canadian Louise Blouin MacBain, appeared on Valleywag exactly a year ago. (Civilination.org was registered on Aug. 24, 2009, using DomainsByProxy - which, I suppose, means they agree with the rest of us that the need for accountability ends just before the point where you're targeted with massive amounts of domain-registrar spam.)

I'm proud of the fact that we're still the #1 result for "jimbo wales hypocrite," at least. I guess they just wanted to throw us a bone.

It looks like Louise Blouin has at least enough interest remaining in Jimbo to invite him to her annual Brain Ball. Seems nobody cared to pose for the camera next to "Internet entrepreneur Jimmy Wales", though.
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 27th September 2010, 1:23pm) *

QUOTE(Somey @ Wed 30th December 2009, 5:06pm) *

Appropriately enough, the Jimmy Wales' Other Other Women article, featuring Ms. Weckerle and the presumably wealthier,
and more Canadian Louise Blouin MacBain, appeared on Valleywag exactly a year ago. (Civilination.org was registered on Aug. 24, 2009, using DomainsByProxy - which, I suppose, means they agree with the rest of us that the need for accountability ends just before the point where you're targeted with massive amounts of domain-registrar spam.)

It looks like Louise Blouin has at least enough interest remaining in Jimbo to invite him to her annual Brain Ball. Seems nobody cared to pose for the camera next to "Internet entrepreneur Jimmy Wales", though.

Well of course not. Inviting Mr. Wales to an event based on such criteria must be some kind of cruel joke. Nobody wants to be standing next to him when the bucket of pigs blood is dumped on his head. That stuff just doesn't come out.
+Quote Post
SB_Johnny

It wasn't me who made honky-tonk angels

QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 27th September 2010, 3:23pm) *

5 down from his picture, is that also him standing against the wall being pretty much the only person not talking to someone else?
+Quote Post
Somey

QUOTE(SB_Johnny @ Mon 27th September 2010, 2:53pm) *
5 down from his picture, is that also him standing against the wall being pretty much the only person not talking to someone else?

I don't think so... that's probably just one of the "security people."

Not that I care, but what's the deal with Jimbo and lapels? Does he have some sort of psychological aversion to them, or does he think he's starting his own fashion trend by wearing jackets without lapels?
+Quote Post
anthony

Postmaster

QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 27th September 2010, 7:23pm) *

Looks incredibly boring, in any case.
+Quote Post
the fieryangel

the Internet Review Corporation is watching you...

Member No.: 577

QUOTE(anthony @ Mon 27th September 2010, 8:50pm) *

QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 27th September 2010, 7:23pm) *

Looks incredibly boring, in any case.

It's kind of a cheap shot, but doesn't Jimbo look a bit portly in that photo?

Get thee to a gym, oh God-King!
+Quote Post
SB_Johnny

It wasn't me who made honky-tonk angels

QUOTE(Somey @ Mon 27th September 2010, 4:20pm) *

Not that I care, but what's the deal with Jimbo and lapels? Does he have some sort of psychological aversion to them, or does he think he's starting his own fashion trend by wearing jackets without lapels?

A nod to Mao and Dr. Evil, perhaps? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
dogbiscuit

Could you run through Verifiability not Truth once more?

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,015

QUOTE(SB_Johnny @ Mon 27th September 2010, 10:28pm) *

QUOTE(Somey @ Mon 27th September 2010, 4:20pm) *

A nod to Mao and Dr. Evil, perhaps? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif)

The photographer seems to have captured him in a homage to Shankbone pose.
+Quote Post
Zoloft

May we all find solace in our dreams.

Member No.: 16,621

Civilination.org apparently shriveled up and died on the vine.

Every once in a while a tumbleweed rolls though.

A coyote howls in the distance.
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(SB_Johnny @ Mon 27th September 2010, 3:53pm) *

QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 27th September 2010, 3:23pm) *

I was so convinced of this earlier today, Johnny, that I have an expert in Jimbology evaluating it on a high-resolution screen tonight. I think the wait staff are wearing white under their black jackets (assuming that's a wet bar in the left rear corner). That lonely man with no seat at a dinner table is wearing ALL BLACK.
+Quote Post
thekohser

The New York Post makes it sound like Louise Blouin is a match made in heaven for someone like Jimbo, who habitually stiffs people.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

QUOTE(Zoloft @ Mon 27th September 2010, 4:40pm) *

Civilination.org apparently shriveled up and died on the vine.

Every once in a while a tumbleweed rolls though.

A coyote howls in the distance.

But I'll bet for awhile it led to some extremely polite and civil fucking. Which, of course, was the point. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif) The rest was Jimbo telling stories to her, to the world, to himself, or whatever. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ermm.gif) She had a few stories of her own, too. Thus are new people made. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)