FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
The German Wikipedia is working well -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> The German Wikipedia is working well
Peter Damian

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

Group: Regulars

QUOTE(radek @ Sat 9th January 2010, 6:33am) *

This is way old and way off topic but I've been noticing the header that "The German wikipedia is broken" ever since I showed up here and have always have had an itch to say...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Yellow2010

Group: Contributors

The German wikipedia is overly fascist. I'm not being facetious either.
+Quote Post
HRIP7

QUOTE(Yellow2010 @ Thu 18th February 2010, 1:59am) *

The German wikipedia is overly fascist. I'm not being facetious either.

I note that Fossa was recently threatened with a series of blocks of increasing duration by User:Dab. for having a coloured signature. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/wtf.gif)

*Seufz* Da es offensichtlich im Guten nicht geht: Ändere bitte schnellstmöglichst deine Signatur zurück auf normal oder ich werde dich in aufsteigender Länge sperren; bitte lass es nicht dazu kommen - vielen Dank. --DaB. 18:33, 25. Feb. 2010 (CET)

Translation:
*Sigh* Since you won't take a friendly hint: Please change your signature back to normal as soon as possible or I will give you blocks of increasing length; please don't let it come to this - many thanks. --DaB. 18:33, 25. Feb. 2010 (CET) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/jawdrop.gif)

Dab. is a founder member of Wikimedia Germany, according to his user page. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/yak.gif)
+Quote Post
HRIP7

QUOTE(HRIP7 @ Wed 3rd March 2010, 2:50pm) *

I note that Fossa was recently threatened with a series of blocks of increasing duration by User:Dab. for having a coloured signature. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/wtf.gif)

The question has now been settled by an RfC.

User signatures featuring external weblinks, frames and coloured backgrounds are now verboten.

Signatures featuring images, or other font colours than the standard blue, remain "undesirable" per German WP:SIG, but not verboten.

57.9% voted against outlawing font colours in signatures, 42.1% voted in favour.

The votes on the use of images and the use of frames/coloured backgrounds were very tight; the proposed outlawing of images just failed to get a 2/3 majority in favour, while outlawing of frames/coloured backgrounds was implemented, based on 67.8% in favour.

So much for German libertarianism.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(HRIP7 @ Thu 15th July 2010, 2:41pm) *

QUOTE(HRIP7 @ Wed 3rd March 2010, 2:50pm) *

The question has now been settled by an RfC.

User signatures featuring external weblinks, frames and coloured backgrounds are now verboten.

Signatures featuring images, or other font colours than the standard blue, remain "undesirable" per German WP:SIG, but not verboten.

57.9% voted against outlawing font colours in signatures, 42.1% voted in favour.

The votes on the use of images and the use of frames/coloured backgrounds were very tight; the proposed outlawing of images just failed to get a 2/3 majority in favour, while outlawing of frames/coloured backgrounds was implemented, based on 67.8% in favour.

So much for German libertarianism.

Ze last line was eine kleine Witz, ja?
+Quote Post
HRIP7

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Thu 15th July 2010, 10:58pm) *

Ze last line was eine kleine Witz, ja?

It's funny that they go on the barricades for sexual content, but can't abide a signature with a frame around it. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ermm.gif)

I have to investigate what kinds of signatures the Dutch allow. Perhaps there is a correlation.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(HRIP7 @ Thu 15th July 2010, 3:16pm) *

It's funny that they go on the barricades for sexual content, but can't abide a signature with a frame around it. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ermm.gif)

I have to investigate what kinds of signatures the Dutch allow. Perhaps there is a correlation.

I saw a sig once on en.wiki that had alternating yellow and black bands like a hornet. I think we monkeys are primally geared to find that irritating, and they may have made that user take it down. It's the only color design per se I know of, that caused problems. The damn stripey ones mean poisonous editors! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ohmy.gif)
+Quote Post
Subtle Bee

melli fera, fera...

Group: Inactive

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Thu 15th July 2010, 5:20pm) *

QUOTE(HRIP7 @ Thu 15th July 2010, 3:16pm) *

I saw a sig once on en.wiki that had alternating yellow and black bands like a hornet. I think we monkeys are primally geared to find that irritating, and they may have made that user take it down. It's the only color design per se I know of, that caused problems. The damn stripey ones mean poisonous editors! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ohmy.gif)

Dude. I'm right here. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/hrmph.gif)
+Quote Post
radek

Ãœber Member

This is something I've been wondering about for awhile and maybe it's come up before but in that case I've missed it: what is the legal status of the German Wikipedia (and other European ones with similar laws) in regard to Holocaust denial laws? I'm assuming that de:Wiki is based in Germany and so there's something there in relation to that, whereas on en:Wiki it's a free for all. The predicted end result would be that you get a lot more quality in the relevant articles on the German wikipedia (and other countries with these laws) than on en:Wiki. Not that I necessarily agree with them laws (maybe - freedom of speech, ACLU and Skokie,, stupid people have a right to speak and all that) but it should somehow show up in the quality of the material.

Someone should perhaps do a comparative study.
+Quote Post
Detective

QUOTE(radek @ Sun 16th January 2011, 6:02am) *

what is the legal status of the German Wikipedia (and other European ones with similar laws) in regard to Holocaust denial laws? I'm assuming that de:Wiki is based in Germany

Even if all the servers are in Florida, the German government could order all the German ISPs to block Wikipedia if it hosted material illegal in Germany. There might well be Europe-wide action under some obscure European Union directive or Council of Europe agreement.
+Quote Post
mms

QUOTE(Detective @ Mon 17th January 2011, 10:44pm) *
Even if all the servers are in Florida, the German government could order all the German ISPs to block Wikipedia if it hosted material illegal in Germany. There might well be Europe-wide action under some obscure European Union directive or Council of Europe agreement.

Das betrifft alle Sprachausgaben Wikipedias. Deutsche beherrschen auch weitere Sprachen -- theoretisch sowieso, aber auch tatsächlich. Daß die Autoritäten über Deutschland (es sind keine »deutschen«) fast nur deutschsprachige Inhalte verfolgen, zeigt, daß sie das Ziel haben, die Masse dumm zu halten. Denn der einfache Mann und die einfache Frau beherrschen keine Fremdsprache in einem Ausmaß, daß sie über Themen diskutieren und sich informieren könnten. Daß der fließend Chinesisch sprechende Sinologe ihre Lügen nicht alle glaubt, ist ihnen klar. Ihre Zielgruppe ist die Masse, denn das ist die einzige Macht, die sie fürchten müssen.

Wir haben mit Metapedia doch genau das passende Beispiel für Deine Überlegung. Das ist eine mehrsprachige Enzyklopädie, welche sich nicht an das Meinungsstrafrecht hält. Sie wird bislang nicht durch die Provider gesperrt, doch es gibt Versuche, sie zu verbieten, und deutsche Webmaster, welche auf Metapedia verlinken, werden unter Androhung eines Strafverfahrens von Jugendschutz.net abgemahnt.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Peter Damian   The German Wikipedia is working well  
BelovedFox   What's your criteria for "working well...  
HRIP7   What's your criteria for "working well...  
Law Lord   The German wikipedia is overly fascist. I'm n...  
Milton Roe   [quote name='Yellow2010' post='222018' date='Thu ...  
Trick cyclist   [i]Achtung, meien damen. What language is that? ...  
Milton Roe   [i]Achtung, meien damen. What language is that? ...  
Trick cyclist   [quote name='Milton Roe' post='223018' date='Tue...  
Milton Roe   [quote name='Milton Roe' post='224428' date='Wed ...  
mms   What don't you understand in the description o...  
CharlotteWebb   I note that Fossa was recently [url=http://de.wik...  
HRIP7   [quote name='HRIP7' post='224376' date='Wed 3rd M...  
WikiWatch   At least the chainsaw appears to be working...  
thekohser   I'm assuming that de:Wiki is based in Germany...  
mms   I'm assuming that de:Wiki is based in Germany ...  
danielaword   This is way old and way off topic but I've b...  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)