FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Anders Behring Breivik -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Discussions in this subforum are hidden from search engines.

However, they are not hidden from automobile engines, including the newer, more "environmentally-friendly" electric and hybrid engines. Also, please note that this subforum is meant to be used for discussion of the actual biographical articles themselves; more generalized discussions of BLP policy should be posted in the General Discussion or Bureaucracy forums.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Anders Behring Breivik, Isn't this a single event?
Kelly Martin

Bring back the guttersnipes!

Group: Regulars
Member No.: 6,696

There's already an article Anders Behring Breivik, the alleged shooter in that Norwegian terrorist thing that's going on today. (There's an article for that too: 2011 Norway attacks.)

Typical Wikipediot nonsense, of course, but I heard about the article existing from Google Plus, so I just had to open a thread here.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
No one of consequence

I want to stare at the seaside and do nothing at all

There is something to be said for the power of crowdsourcing events like this. Not really in an encyclopedia, though.
+Quote Post
lilburne

Chameleon

Group: Contributors

Cool to see our dear little Silver doing sterling duty as protector of bollocks in various forums.
+Quote Post
thekohser

I thought Wikipedia is not a newspaper?

Guy who assassinated a U.S. president -- 18,715 bytes.

Guy in the news -- 8,270 bytes, and growing.
+Quote Post
Collect

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Fri 22nd July 2011, 7:58pm) *

There's already an article Anders Behring Breivik, the alleged shooter in that Norwegian terrorist thing that's going on today. (There's an article for that too: 2011 Norway attacks.)

Typical Wikipediot nonsense, of course, but I heard about the article existing from Google Plus, so I just had to open a thread here.

And added to literally dozens of articles - especially articles about people whom he said he liked or whom he quoted, even if they never had heard of him ever until after the event. BLP violations galore!
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(thekohser @ Sat 23rd July 2011, 10:59am) *

I thought Wikipedia is not a newspaper?

Guy who assassinated a U.S. president -- 18,715 bytes.

Guy in the news -- 8,270 bytes, and growing.

Update:

Guy who assassinated a U.S. president -- 18,748 bytes.

Guy in the news -- 80,383 bytes, and growing.
+Quote Post
Silver seren

Kohser, you're purposefully picking a presidential assassin that nobody cares about (and a president nobody cares about). Oh, i'm sure someone who wanted to get it to FA and make it ten times as long could, but it would require historical books and off-internet work to do so.

Now, if you're talking about a real presidential assassin, then fine. And he's currently at 100,639 bytes. That's a better comparison.

Furthermore, you have to add in the fact that news sources available today are much easier to access, more extensive, and go out of their way to discover minute details about a person.

Compare that to events that happened 40 or 100 years ago, and it is much more difficult to find sources on what happened that go into a lot of detail that isn't just a repetition of a standard biography.

Not to mention that those assassin's probably would have a significantly higher number of bytes, if not a whole separate article on the subject, if they had published a manifesto.

This post has been edited by Silver seren:
+Quote Post
Zoloft

May we all find solace in our dreams.

Member No.: 16,621

QUOTE(Silver seren @ Thu 4th August 2011, 4:00pm) *

Kohser, you're purposefully picking a presidential assassin that nobody cares about (and a president nobody cares about). Oh, i'm sure someone who wanted to get it to FA and make it ten times as long could, but it would require historical books and off-internet work to do so.

Now, if you're talking about a real presidential assassin, then fine. And he's currently at 100,639 bytes. That's a better comparison.

Furthermore, you have to add in the fact that news sources available today are much easier to access, more extensive, and go out of their way to discover minute details about a person.

Compare that to events that happened 40 or 100 years ago, and it is much more difficult to find sources on what happened that go into a lot of detail that isn't just a repetition of a standard biography.

Not to mention that those assassin's probably would have a significantly higher number of bytes, if not a whole separate article on the subject, if they had published a manifesto.

Manifesto-writing guy who stirred up quite a fuss chosen at random:

Ted Kaczynski (T-H-L-K-D)

and he's at 78,774 bytes.

I dunno if that means anything. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/hmmm.gif)

Lots of his stirring happened quite a long time ago, but he was apprehended and tried during the 'Internet Years.'

This post has been edited by Zoloft:
+Quote Post
Silver seren

The thing with the Unabomber is that his activities were spread out over such a long time period that there will be a lot on him during the whole period. So he's not as good of an example. I'm of the opinion that if a major presidential assassination happened currently, it would be just as long of an article, if not longer.

It's really down to the coverage more than anything else and the amount of detail that the coverage goes into.

News organizations go out of their way to be snoopier nowadays (not that they weren't snoopy back in the day).
+Quote Post
Zoloft

QUOTE(Silver seren @ Thu 4th August 2011, 4:19pm) *

The thing with the Unabomber is that his activities were spread out over such a long time period that there will be a lot on him during the whole period. So he's not as good of an example. I'm of the opinion that if a major presidential assassination happened currently, it would be just as long of an article, if not longer.

It's really down to the coverage more than anything else and the amount of detail that the coverage goes into.

News organizations go out of their way to be snoopier nowadays (not that they weren't snoopy back in the day).

Guy active only in the Nineties and (nameless decade) and whacked earlier this year. Notable for one big event, manifesto-writer: Osama bin Laden (T-H-L-K-D)
and he's at 127,445 bytes.

Maybe that's not fair.

How about Seung-Hui Cho (T-H-L-K-D)?
one event, also a massacre, modern times, manifesto-writer.
He's at 88,901 bytes.
+Quote Post
Silver seren

Yeah, the thing is, while it may be a bit US-centric for me to say this, events that happen in or to the US tend to get more coverage. In general, that seems to be true.

And, for once, we're getting good coverage about a person that is not happening in the US and...Kohser is complaining about the coverage existing. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/hrmph.gif)

This post has been edited by Silver seren:
+Quote Post
Tarc

Fat Cat

What I have been saying for awhile now...and routinely cock-blocked by the ARSeholes unfortunately...is that the bar for reliable sourcing has remained the same for years now, while the media has exploded into covering everything, everywhere, all the time.

This is leading to a glut of worthless articles scraped from the headlines of the day, because there's so many talking heads/sheep that will discuss just about everything now. The media has been fully TMZ-ized.
+Quote Post
Zoloft

QUOTE(Silver seren @ Thu 4th August 2011, 4:31pm) *

Yeah, the thing is, while it may be a bit US-centric for me to say this, events that happen in or to the US tend to get more coverage. In general, that seems to be true.

And, for once, we're getting good coverage about a person that is not happening in the US and...Kohser is complaining about the coverage existing. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/hrmph.gif)

This is a quiet pastime, like badminton.

I do think you moved the net, however, so I shall retire.

See you on the handball courts.
+Quote Post
lilburne

Chameleon

QUOTE(Silver seren @ Fri 5th August 2011, 12:19am) *

(IMG:http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a181/scratchpad/HeadUpYourAss.jpg)

You have your head firmly stuff up your arse on that. Its down to the fucking crap that 24 hour news pours out, the chatter box that uses fuckwitted, no nothing cunts, that are dragged into new studios and given space between the adverts in which to bullshit. None of the masturbating douche bags has a fucking clue. And even if, perchance, one of them did, the plagiarising copy and paste brigade on wikipedia would manage to mangle it into nonsense.

+Quote Post
jayvdb

Member No.: 1,039

QUOTE(Silver seren @ Thu 4th August 2011, 11:00pm) *

You just proved Mr Kohs' point. Heaven forbid that people use books to write about history.
+Quote Post
Herschelkrustofsky

Group: Members
Member No.: 130

QUOTE(lilburne @ Thu 4th August 2011, 4:49pm) *

None of the masturbating douche bags has a fucking clue.
After following your link, I am convinced that you are making an unconscionable personal attack on Chip Berlet. This sort of thing will not be tolerated at the Review.
+Quote Post
Silver seren

QUOTE(jayvdb @ Thu 4th August 2011, 11:56pm) *

QUOTE(Silver seren @ Thu 4th August 2011, 11:00pm) *

You just proved Mr Kohs' point. Heaven forbid that people use books to write about history.

My point is that all articles on such a biography should be around the same length and I am fairly certain that Mr. Garfield's assassin can have an article that long. It's just that doing as such requires someone who has access to the proper information on him. That person hasn't come along yet.
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

QUOTE(Silver seren @ Thu 4th August 2011, 7:00pm) *

Kohser, you're purposefully picking a presidential assassin that nobody cares about (and a president nobody cares about).

What are you talking about? Risker lost her virginity to President Garfield on a desk in the Oval Office. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/evilgrin.gif)

QUOTE(Silver seren @ Thu 4th August 2011, 7:19pm) *

Did someone say...Snoopy? (And, please, watch this one!)

+Quote Post
Silver seren

That was both offensive and hilarious. I was waiting for someone to make a comment about snoopy. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)
+Quote Post
Kevin

Member No.: 10,522

QUOTE(Silver seren @ Fri 5th August 2011, 9:31am) *

There is a vast difference between good coverage and what is produced by the content driven mass media. Mass media has a need to produce more and more content, in many cases with little regard to actual newsworthiness. An encyclopedia should record what is historically significant. That you cannot tell the difference is one of your great failings.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)