FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Non TS/TV males who post as women on WP -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Help

This forum is for discussing specific Wikipedia editors, editing patterns, and general efforts by those editors to influence or direct content in ways that might not be in keeping with Wikipedia policy. Please source your claims and provide links where appropriate. For a glossary of terms frequently used when discussing Wikipedia and related projects, please refer to Wikipedia:Glossary.

> Non TS/TV males who post as women on WP, testimonials wanted, enquire within
the fieryangel

the Internet Review Corporation is watching you...

Group: Regulars
Member No.: 577

In the project that I'm currently working on with Peter, Greg, and Eric, I'm writing the chapter on Users. In the section discussing the systemic bias, I'm going to try to go into detail as to the gender gap and possible reasons why this exists.

It's obvious why TS/TV individuals post as women, so that's pretty self-explanatory (dare I say "normal"?) However, it would seem that a great many non-TS/TV males contribute to WP as females, either via sock puppets (à la Kristen Erikson) and also as their main personae. I'm looking for people who would be willing to discuss how posting as females changes the experience on WP. I would also be interested in women who post as males and why they do that. (I know of at least one experience of this happening and I'm sure that there are more....)

Just send me a private message here and we'll discuss it.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
carbuncle

Fat Cat

Ottava, yo have made me curious about something. Can someone who has had breast implants get into Heaven™? What about someone who has had sex reassignment surgery?
+Quote Post
Ottava

Ãœber Pokemon

Group: Contributors

QUOTE(carbuncle @ Thu 10th November 2011, 1:32pm) *

Ottava, yo have made me curious about something. Can someone who has had breast implants get into Heaven™? What about someone who has had sex reassignment surgery?

Heaven in the Catholic sense requires a mental understanding of God's love, which would be demonstrated through appreciation for God's gifts. Mutilation of the self is the same problems with suicide - desecration of God's gift - i.e. you reject what you were given. Now, there are some who were able to be sainted for a "suicide" like act, which doesn't mean any giving up is wrong. However, it is the motivation for destroying God's gift.

Merely saying "I don't like how I look, therefore I need to have to keep changing myself" is an obsession with the material and a lack of proper priorities. If you are merely living to help others, to do good, to love one another, you don't need to alter your body, get tattoos, enlarge your breasts, cut off your penis, etc.

If someone is too busy focusing on how they hate themselves and obsessing with it, how can they think about God or virtue? That goes with any obsession. So to answer your question, can someone with a sex change get into Heaven, the chances are that they wont be focusing on such things nor truly care enough. This is not talking about people who may have two different sex organs or the rest, but about people who willingly change without anything like that.

After all, there are many people who have problems that they feel they are born wrong with - blindness, loss of limbs, etc - but i they start rejecting their body, loathing themselves, etc. over their condition then that is a problem. Our whole approach to special needs children, for example, is that they are already perfect. They aren't "handicapped". They are beautiful, wonderful, and great, and it is obvious that someone with, say, down syndrome has more of a legitimate grief with how they were born than someone who merely doesn't like being able to pee standing up, yet the thing about most of those children is that they are capable of accepting themselves.

+Quote Post
carbuncle

Fat Cat

QUOTE(Ottava @ Thu 10th November 2011, 6:47pm) *

Heaven in the Catholic sense requires a mental understanding of God's love, which would be demonstrated through appreciation for God's gifts. Mutilation of the self is the same problems with suicide - desecration of God's gift - i.e. you reject what you were given. Now, there are some who were able to be sainted for a "suicide" like act, which doesn't mean any giving up is wrong. However, it is the motivation for destroying God's gift.

So, then, no, you can't get into Heaven™ if you have breast implants. Or if you have had sexual reassignment surgery. Is that right?

Unsurprisingly, I'd like to go back to my earlier example of a woman who has had a mastectomy due to breast cancer and has a breast reconstruction (using only her own tissue, incidentally). Would she get into Heaven™? Or is she, too, "desecrating God's gift"?
+Quote Post
Ottava

Ãœber Pokemon

QUOTE(carbuncle @ Thu 10th November 2011, 2:11pm) *

QUOTE(Ottava @ Thu 10th November 2011, 6:47pm) *

So, then, no, you can't get into Heaven™ if you have breast implants. Or if you have had sexual reassignment surgery. Is that right?

Unsurprisingly, I'd like to go back to my earlier example of a woman who has had a mastectomy due to breast cancer and has a breast reconstruction (using only her own tissue, incidentally). Would she get into Heaven™? Or is she, too, "desecrating God's gift"?

If she did it purely for cosmetic reasons, then yes. It is all about materialism and your focus in all things. Suffering is not an excuse to say "f you to God" and then expect to get into Heaven.

The Adversary

And it is all natural, God's gift, if you like. My friend deeply wish God had been a bit less generous: it hurts her back, it is almost impossible to get bras that fit, and any running is out of the question. This for a start.

Now, is she "desecrating God's gift" if she gets a breast-reduction? Seriously?

As I said, it is all about the reasons why. If your reason is "I hate how I am" then yes, it is a problem. You should never have surgery because you hate a part of yourself.

This post has been edited by Ottava:
+Quote Post
Malleus

Fat Cat

Member No.: 8,716

QUOTE(Ottava @ Thu 10th November 2011, 11:41pm) *
You should never have surgery because you hate a part of yourself.

That's interesting. Would you include dental surgery in that? I'm thinking about things like capping to improve the regularity of your teeth. What about wart removal? Or are you one of those like Oliver Cromwell who believes that we are what we are, warts and all?

This post has been edited by Malleus:
+Quote Post
Ottava

Ãœber Pokemon

QUOTE(Malleus @ Thu 10th November 2011, 6:58pm) *

QUOTE(Ottava @ Thu 10th November 2011, 11:41pm) *
You should never have surgery because you hate a part of yourself.

That's interesting. Would you include dental surgery in that? I'm thinking about things like capping to improve the regularity of your teeth. What about wart removal? Or are you one of those like Oliver Cromwell who believes that we are what we are, warts and all?

If you are ripping out your teeth because you think they are awful or evil, then yes, I would include it. If you are change your teeth to help you eat, then no.

Vanity, vanity, all is vanity.

It is all about your justifications.

lonza leggiera

If you read the complete article—which Ottava seems to have been curiously reluctant to provide a direct link to—you will find that your interpretation isn't possible. The original article isn't a "Johns Hopkins report" as Ottava apparently wants to classify it, but an article McHugh wrote for the conservative religious magazine First Things

Except no. I reported the Johns Hopkins stopping sex change operations. I linked to Johns Hopkins too which had an article on their site.

The quote/extract later from the conservative article was to show that Somey was wrong to think McHugh was not 100% against sex changes.

It is funny how you claim I misread yet you blatantly ignored the John Hopkins piece.

It was clearly right here, but since you are making up everything else, you would obviously deny that it was put there or even existed. Of course. How could I expect anything less from your wonderful track record.

I do love how you say that McHugh is informed my religion (as if it was a bad thing) by using examples after he made the changes at Johns Hopkins. Instead, it is more obvious that he got the speaking gigs/articles publication opportunities after his action and making his stance, and that he was speaking to interested groups.
+Quote Post
lonza leggiera

QUOTE(Ottava @ Fri 11th November 2011, 2:42pm) *

lonza leggiera

If you read the complete article—which Ottava seems to have been curiously reluctant to provide a direct link to—you will find that your interpretation isn't possible. The original article isn't a "Johns Hopkins report" as Ottava apparently wants to classify it, but an article McHugh wrote for the conservative religious magazine First Things

Except no. I reported the Johns Hopkins stopping sex change operations. I linked to Johns Hopkins too which had an article on their site.

The trouble is you did not supply that link until some three hours and three intervening posts after you had instructed Eric Barbour to "read the Johns Hopkins report". In neither the post where you issued that instruction, nor in any other preceding post of yours in this thread was there anything except this link to the NARTH news item that could conceivably contain any clue as to what the "Johns Hopkins report" you were referring to might be. The NARTH news item was clearly not a Johns Hopkins report by any stretch of the imagination, but it did contain two links to articles which might possibly have qualified. The first was a (broken) link to McHugh's article in First Things, and the second was a link to an article in The New England Journal of Medicine. The latter could conceivably qualify as a "Johns Hopkins report" since its authors belonged to that institution, but it had nothing whatever to say about the termination of sex reassignment surgery at Johns Hopkins, let alone the reasons why it was terminated. I therefore presumed that your "Johns Hopkins report" could only be meant to refer to McHugh's article. I'm glad to hear that I was apparently mistaken, and have accordingly amended my previous post to reflect this. However, I'm blowed if I know how you expected anyone to know what on Earth you were referring to when you didn't provide the appropriate link until some three hours and three posts later.

QUOTE(Ottava @ Fri 11th November 2011, 12:33pm) *

It is funny how you claim I misread yet you blatantly ignored the John Hopkins piece. ...

No I didn't ignore it at all. In fact, I specifically wrote:

QUOTE(lonza leggiera @ Fri 11th November 2011, 2:42pm) *

You're apparently right, however, that Ottava has misread something into these articles which neither of them say. In neither of them can I find any justification for Ottava's assertion that "Johns Hopkins stopped sex changes because they determined that it was a mental disease" .... [emphasis added]

The "articles" (plural) being referred to here are McHugh's First Things article, and the the one in Hopkins Medical News which you are accusing me of having "blatantly ignored".

QUOTE(Ottava @ Fri 11th November 2011, 12:33pm) *

I do love how you say that McHugh is informed my religion (as if it was a bad thing) by using examples after he made the changes at Johns Hopkins. ...

Glad you liked it, but I'm afraid you seem to have misunderstood what I wrote (although I have to admit I'm having some trouble working out precisely what the above-quoted sentence means). I had no intention of making any comment whatsoever about your religious beliefs. When I wrote:
QUOTE(lonza leggiera @ Fri 11th November 2011, 2:42pm) *

There are couple of interesting items available on-line which indicate that McHugh's religious convictions might have had more influence on some of his supposedly scientific conclusions than Ottava is willing to admit.

the "his supposedly scientific conclusions" in that sentence was intended (pretty clearly I thought) to refer to McHugh's scientific conclusions, not yours. I'm guessing you might have been confused by my gratuitous speculation here about what you might be willing to admit about how much McHugh's scientific conclusions might have been influenced by his religious convictions. This was definitely out of line, and I apogise for having made it.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
the fieryangel   Non TS/TV males who post as women on WP  
Ceoil   Dude you post under the guise of a cat?  
Ottava   Most of the "TS/TV" identify as males ir...  
carbuncle   Most of the "TS/TV" identify as males i...  
Ottava   Most of the "TS/TV" identify as males ...  
carbuncle   By the way, I saw at least 2 males who are known ...  
Ottava   By the way, I saw at least 2 males who are known...  
that one guy   [quote name='carbuncle' post='287993' date='Mon 7...  
carbuncle   Furthermore, the whole TS/TV thing is bs. Merely ...  
Ottava   [quote name='Ottava' post='287996' date='Mon 7th ...  
SB_Johnny   You are forgetting one thing: the old idea that ...  
A Horse With No Name   Hell, bring Horsey... even [i]he might no more abo...  
Peter Damian   There was an interesting study http://meta.wikimed...  
thekohser   ...may actually be male. Or skew male-like, or h...  
EricBarbour   Non-judgmentally: Peter, it will be very difficult...  
that one guy   Really Ottava, you're going to use NARTH as a ...  
Somey   Really Ottava, you're going to use NARTH as a ...  
Ottava   [quote name='that one guy' post='288024' date='Mo...  
Somey   Really? [url=http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/hmn/W...  
Ottava   [quote name='Ottava' post='288032' date='Mon 7th ...  
thekohser   My bad.  
carbuncle   Ottava, you may be conflating the sexual reassignm...  
Ottava   Ottava, you may be conflating the sexual reassign...  
Alison   Alison "Bear in mind that this is a guy who...  
Ottava   LOL - I'm not here to debate with you, Ottava...  
Abd   Because I don't use words with a technical spe...  
Wikicrusher2   LOL - I'm not here to debate with you, Ottav...  
SB_Johnny   Cleaning out my cat's litter box would be a f...  
Somey   Ottava, you're reading what you want the artic...  
lonza leggiera   Ottava, you're reading what you [i]want the a...  
that one guy   There's one thing I've come to understand ...  
Malleus   There's one thing I've come to understand...  
that one guy   There's one thing I've come to understan...  
Malleus   Good point. But I'd rather be Californian th...  
Alison   LOL - it's Ottava, folks! Didn't we ha...  
EricBarbour   Yes, we did. And I'm going elsewhere.  
the fieryangel   Yes, we did. And I'm going elsewhere. Well,...  
Abd   Case in point: Ottava's latest on meta. Ottava...  
Kelly Martin   Could a mod please split off Ottava's trans-ba...  
SB_Johnny   Could a mod please split off Ottava's trans-b...  
that one guy   Could a mod please split off Ottava's trans-...  
SB_Johnny   [quote name='SB_Johnny' post='288244' date='Thu 1...  
that one guy   [quote name='SB_Johnny' post='288244' date='Thu ...  
SB_Johnny   I was hinting at the facepalm and the "Aw Je...  
The Adversary   :wtf: Wr is the only place I have encountered mal...  
Ottava   :wtf: Wr is the only place I have encountered ma...  
The Adversary   .. no polite word of describing the area people w...  
Alison   .. no polite word of describing the area people ...  
Ottava   [quote name='The Adversary' post='288172' date='W...  
Alison   [quote name='The Adversary' post='288172' date='...  
Ottava   EDIT: And, as I keep saying, there's no poin...  
Vigilant   EDIT: And, as I keep saying, there's no poi...  
Abd   Poor, poor Jeffrey Peters... I think you should p...  
Abd   EDIT: And, as I keep saying, there's no point ...  
A Horse With No Name   Or bikini area also referring to breasts? Oh, t...  
Abd   Really? Because the "pubic" area, meanin...  
SB_Johnny   Pubic area, pubic region, bikini area, "down...  
A Horse With No Name   :wtf: Wr is the only place I have encountered ma...  
Wikicrusher2   So, Jeff, is it "more cruder" (sic!)...  
Ottava   So, Jeff, is it "more cruder" (sic...  
carbuncle   If you don't like common usage, then go take i...  
Ottava   If you don't like common usage, then go take ...  
that one guy   [quote name='carbuncle' post='288214' date='Wed 9...  
carbuncle   For your last statement - why not show where? No ...  
Ottava   I think everyone here knows that there is little ...  
carbuncle   We call them "fake breasts" when a woma...  
Ottava   [quote name='Ottava' post='288236' date='Thu 10th...  
Abd   If you are adding things, it is a fake boob. There...  
Abd   By the way, do you think that, with the anatomy cl...  
A Horse With No Name   At this point in the discussion, may I introduce m...  
carbuncle   If you are ripping out your teeth because you thi...  
dogbiscuit   If you are ripping out your teeth because you th...  
Ottava   [quote name='carbuncle' post='288287' date='Fri 1...  
Vigilant   It doesn't matter when I supplied the link, y...  
Vigilant   Poor Jeffrey Peters, Someone takes the time to re...  
The Adversary   [quote name='carbuncle' post='288248' date='Thu 1...  
A Horse With No Name   PS: to Horsey: no, I will not introduce you ...  
Rhindle   I got my wisdom teeth pulled. I'm doomed. :n...  
Malleus   I got my wisdom teeth pulled. I'm doomed. :...  
EricBarbour   -_-  
powercorrupts   Scanning Abd through my fingers continuing to advo...  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now: