FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Asian Kid Making RfA a Joke? -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Asian Kid Making RfA a Joke?, "We Will Not Be Put Down"
melloden

Group: Contributors

Well I don't make a habit out of checking RfA because it's usually always full of suck-ups and dimwits, but today's RfA made me gag even more than usual.

Wikipedia:Requests for adminship/Guoguo12 2 (T-H-L-K-D) looks like the average try-again self-nom by some eager little myspacy kid. Who doesn't really know about privacy on the Internet (if there is such a thing), because what I discovered was slightly disturbing.

Mr. Guoguo12 (AKA Allen Guo, according to his YouTube account), seems to be an average, "intelligent" Asian American child who writes weird stories, drew multicolored pictures as an 8 year old, and plays a musical instrument.

Well, he also is quite passionate about the rise of Asian-Americans in Western society, as is evident in this YouTube clip from 2008. Other than the shockingly young age of Mr. Guo (how many admins run when they're around the 13yo mark?), you will hear this being shouted in the video:

The window of opportunity has been opened by our parents. We, the Asian Americans, will enter! [points finger into air] We will not be put down! We will overcome the taunting of other races!

The giggles from the class and the expression of the teacher only add to the hilarity of the clip. Now, don't get me wrong. I agree that Asian people living legally in the US are indeed Americans, just like every other legal resident/citizen of the country. But really, Wikipedia, do you think that a barely-teenage Asian kid with such passionate views will really end up being a rational, sensible administrator? (Oh wait--there's no such thing anyway.)

Those folks always complaining about the "RfA problem" need to realize that RfA is not the problem, the people trying to pass it are.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Abd

Postmaster

Group: Regulars
Member No.: 9,019

Melloden, you've been drinking way too much Kool-Aid, laced with racism. Complex mixture, for sure. Not good for the head.

I have no clue where to begin. Take two aspirin, call your doctor in the morning?

Meanwhile, stay away from Wikipedia. In your condition, there is a risk of chronic dementia.
+Quote Post
gomi

Group: Members

We don't need any children editing, much less administering, Wikipedia. That he is Asian is utterly beside the point.
+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

Bring back the guttersnipes!

Member No.: 6,696

I still don't understand how this makes RfA any more of a joke than it has been since 2004.
+Quote Post
The Joy

I am a millipede! I am amazing!

Group: Members
Member No.: 982

QUOTE(Abd @ Mon 20th June 2011, 1:45am) *

Melloden, you've been drinking way too much Kool-Aid, laced with racism. Complex mixture, for sure. Not good for the head.

I have no clue where to begin. Take two aspirin, call your doctor in the morning?

Meanwhile, stay away from Wikipedia. In your condition, there is a risk of chronic dementia.

Too late. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
Emperor

Postmaster

Isn't this the kid who banned all you guys?
+Quote Post
melloden

QUOTE(Abd @ Mon 20th June 2011, 5:45am) *

Good suggestions. I'll try not to become senile for at least another ten years, but you never know.

Anywho, dear Mr. Guo's RfA seems to be progressing rather well. Urgh.

Kelly, it's not just the child factor--it's the part where the Concerned Business Professional goes to see who deleted his biography and stumbles across a video of a young, loud child going off about the rise of Asian Americans in society. That would unsettle me more than seeing a picture of an old, fat, white nerd on the deleter's userpage, I think.
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Mon 20th June 2011, 6:42am) *
I still don't understand how this makes RfA any more of a joke than it has been since 2004.

Nailed it.

Look at the vote. Right now, I see 26 support votes (including a few who should know better!)
and one lousy oppose vote. And yeah, I daresay that this nice young man looks a little too
immature to be "administrating" an "encyclopedia-thing project". He will have plenty of OCD
company, sad to say.

I'm willing to accept bets on how long it takes for him to start ruthlessly banning and harassing people.
He might turn out to be a good admin, he might turn out to be another Orangemike or Ryulong.
Not enough information to know.

This post has been edited by EricBarbour:
+Quote Post
Silver seren

Huh, I have more edits than him. Sure, he has two GA's, but I have 26 (soon to be 28) DYKs to his 4. And he's only actually created 5 articles? I've created 51. I wonder if i'd win a RfA at this point.

Oh wait, I forgot, it's political, I so wouldn't. I have too many people that dislike me and they'd find insignificant things to complain about.

Since Guoguo seems to be more of the Wikignome type, he probably just stays behind the scenes and works, so he doesn't have anyone that he's gotten into disagreements with.

Well, other than OrangeMarlin, apparently. I wonder what that one's about.

Edit: Oh, and i'm 20, so there's that.

This post has been edited by Silver seren:
+Quote Post
Craftyminion

Neophyte

QUOTE(Silver seren @ Tue 21st June 2011, 6:25pm) *

Huh, I have more edits than him. Sure, he has two GA's, but I have 26 (soon to be 28) DYKs to his 4. And he's only actually created 5 articles? I've created 51. I wonder if i'd win a RfA at this point.

Oh wait, I forgot, it's political, I so wouldn't. I have too many people that dislike me and they'd find insignificant things to complain about.

Since Guoguo seems to be more of the Wikignome type, he probably just stays behind the scenes and works, so he doesn't have anyone that he's gotten into disagreements with.

Edit: Oh, and i'm 20, so there's that.

You're also a furry.

Yiff in Hell and all that. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Emperor

Postmaster

The most hilarious thing about this RfA is the near universal disregard for this kid's plagiarism problem.
+Quote Post
Angela Kennedy

QUOTE(Silver seren @ Tue 21st June 2011, 9:25am) *

Dear, sweet, inoffensive, balanced Orange Marlin?

Surely not (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
Michaeldsuarez

Ãœber Member

Member No.: 24,428

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=435493979

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=435495989

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=435496753

This thread apparently caused Guoguo12 to withdraw his self-nomination. Although I'm somewhat saddened, a person who can't handle or stand up to outside scrutiny shouldn't be a sysop.
+Quote Post
Theanima

Ah, everybody's favourite heroine, SandyGeorgia saving the wiki yet again from those evil children! Hurrah!

In all seriousness now, Lovetinkle tells SG how it is - her bullying, spiteful attitude is not something to be proud of.

And when SG doesn't like it, she says so!

Now if only all of us had the courage to stand up to bullies like SandyGeorgia, perhaps Wikipedia would be a more pleasant place to edit.
+Quote Post
Michaeldsuarez

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Theanima @ Tue 21st June 2011, 2:53pm) *

Ah, everybody's favourite heroine, SandyGeorgia saving the wiki yet again from those evil children! Hurrah!

In all seriousness now, Lovetinkle tells SG how it is - her bullying, spiteful attitude is not something to be proud of.

Now if only all of us had the courage to stand up to bullies like SandyGeorgia, perhaps Wikipedia would be a more pleasant place to edit.

The only useful thing Lovetinkle said was "Sandy, I think we need to be mindful that the candidate is a minor." Unfortunately, Lovetinkle believes that this means we must give youngsters more leeway, even on RfA discussions.

The only users being "bullied" here are the the users who decided to oppose the nomination. The Supporters are acting like hawks / vultures. They wait until someone opposes, and then they attack them. The Opponents aren't the ones stalking the Support section of the RfA and fighting against every support !vote.

This post has been edited by Michaeldsuarez:
+Quote Post
Theanima

QUOTE(Michaeldsuarez @ Tue 21st June 2011, 8:05pm) *

QUOTE(Theanima @ Tue 21st June 2011, 2:53pm) *

The only useful thing Lovetinkle said was "Sandy, I think we need to be mindful that the candidate is a minor." Unfortunately, Lovetinkle believes that this means we must give youngsters more leeway, even on RfA discussions.

The only users being "bullied" here are the the users who decided to oppose the nomination. The Supporters are acting like hawks / vultures. They wait until someone opposes, and then they attack them. The Opponents aren't the ones stalking the Support section of the RfA and fighting against every support !vote.

No; Lovetinkle explained to SandyGeorgia, in plain English, what she is. A bully. Others also agreed that SG's commentary was needlessly aggressive.

In many cases opposers of RFA do so just because they like upsetting candidates and causing drama. They deserve to be harassed and attacked. In this particular RFA the opposers were correct, though SG's vicious TL;DR kind of overshadowed that.
+Quote Post
Michaeldsuarez

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Theanima @ Tue 21st June 2011, 3:12pm) *

No; Lovetinkle explained to SandyGeorgia, in plain English, what she is. A bully. Others also agreed that SG's commentary was needlessly aggressive.

In many cases opposers of RFA do so just because they like upsetting candidates and causing drama. They deserve to be harassed and attacked. In this particular RFA the opposers were correct, though SG's vicious TL;DR kind of overshadowed that.

Alright, I agree that it was aggressive.
+Quote Post
RMHED

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Theanima @ Tue 21st June 2011, 8:12pm) *

Yeah, SandyGeorgia really can be a nasty old bitch, unsurprisingly she gets on very well with Malleus.
+Quote Post
Theanima

QUOTE(RMHED @ Tue 21st June 2011, 9:44pm) *

QUOTE(Theanima @ Tue 21st June 2011, 8:12pm) *

Yeah, SandyGeorgia really can be a nasty old bitch, unsurprisingly she gets on very well with Malleus.

Malleus is a but a mild lamb compared to her. When he opposes someone at RFA, or an article at FAC, he generally does so in a civil, polite and constructive manner. Not so SandyG.
+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

Bring back the guttersnipes!

Member No.: 6,696

What I find interesting here is that the pogrom against "close paraphrasing" is going to make it even harder to write Wikipedia articles. The gap between "close paraphrasing" and "original research" (what Wikipedia calls "synthesis") is becoming increasingly small, and before long, I expect, nobody not already In The Cabal will be allowed to do much of anything at all.

This guy's RFA failed not because s/he is too young or even because s/he is inappropriate to be an admin (I offer no opinion on those points), but because SandyGeorgia didn't like him/her. This was a straight up gang mugging.

A bully can be right, and still be a bully.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)