post Mon 9th March 2009, 9:52pm
Post #21

Skinny Cow!

Group: Regulars
Member No.: 1,806

QUOTE(emesee @ Mon 9th March 2009, 2:47pm) *

freedom smile.gif

Yayy!!! And y'know what - it feels good smile.gif

The downside is that I get to read Kato's litany of BLP horrors but am able to do little or nothing about it anymore. But ... have to draw the line somewhere. It's not my responsibility and frankly, it's the system that's broken, not this BLP and that BLP. Patching over the cracks is just prolonging the inevitable and I've run out of fight anyway.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Moulton
post Mon 9th March 2009, 10:01pm
Post #22

Anthropologist from Mars

Group: Contributors
Member No.: 3,670

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

Systemic dysfunctionality cannot be corrected except by systemic reform.

As a number of retiring admins have noted, systemic reform is not in the cards as long as Jimbo is at the helm.

What's even more ominous is that the residual crew aboard Jimbo's doomed ship are self-selected to be similarly averse to systemic reform.

Slow-motion trainwrecks are becoming commonplace occurrences. Wikipedia is a subject of morbid fascination, because it's so easy to watch the trainwreck unfold, like a Greek or Shakespearean tragedy.
+Quote Post
Cedric
post Mon 9th March 2009, 11:11pm
Post #23

General Gato

Member No.: 1,116

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(Alison @ Mon 9th March 2009, 4:52pm) *

It's not my responsibility and frankly, it's the system that's broken, not this BLP and that BLP. Patching over the cracks is just prolonging the inevitable and I've run out of fight anyway.

As they say in "Joisey", "Ya can't polish a toid."
+Quote Post
Floydsvoid
post Tue 10th March 2009, 1:05am
Post #24

Member No.: 4,216

QUOTE(Moulton @ Mon 9th March 2009, 5:01pm) *

Slow-motion trainwrecks are becoming commonplace occurrences. Wikipedia is a subject of morbid fascination, because it's so easy to watch the trainwreck unfold, like a Greek or Shakespearean tragedy.

I don't think this is exclusive to Wikipedia. This is epidemic. In the local newspaper today, what's left of it, was an article about people forgoing their Facebook obsession during Lent. Despite the mind-boggling computer power and storage space available today, it is all wasted on inane trivial human drama.

I'm somewhat surprised that Alison developed an addiction to this ... since I think she is old enough to have grown up without the computer teat and is an accomplished professional in the field to boot.
+Quote Post
Alison
post Tue 10th March 2009, 1:18am
Post #25

Skinny Cow!

Member No.: 1,806

QUOTE(Floydsvoid @ Mon 9th March 2009, 6:05pm) *

I'm somewhat surprised that Alison developed an addiction to this ... since I think she is old enough to have grown up without the computer teat and is an accomplished professional in the field to boot.

Well, I've been on the intertubes for some 21 years now, and played with computers since the PET first came out. I'm ancient smile.gif Re. Wikipedia, I wasn't addicted, per se, but I'd felt an obligation to fix up so much of the crap, and damage to others. Seriously, any so-called power and glory over there is just so much virtual dollars; it's worthless rolleyes.gif
+Quote Post
EricBarbour
post Tue 10th March 2009, 1:56am
Post #26

blah

Member No.: 5,066

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(Alison @ Mon 9th March 2009, 2:52pm) *
The downside is that I get to read Kato's litany of BLP horrors but am able to do little or nothing about it anymore. But ... have to draw the line somewhere. It's not my responsibility and frankly, it's the system that's broken, not this BLP and that BLP. Patching over the cracks is just prolonging the inevitable and I've run out of fight anyway.

And let's not forget the utter chaos currently surrounding the Obama article.
That Worldnetdaily article was posted by Drudge, was run by Fox News, is currently
going through the right-wing blog echo chamber, and has resulted in a WP vandalism war
being conducted by Free Republic crazies.

That is very bad for Wikipedia. Freepers are batshit insane, and have plenty of time
and energy to harass WP admins.

You did the right thing, Alison. It's all going to hell.
+Quote Post
KimvdLinde
post Tue 10th March 2009, 2:01am
Post #27

Member No.: 523

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

There are roughly two types of admin tasks for which you can use them, vandal-whacking, and content improvement. After I burned out because of SlimVirgin/JayJG/other pro-Israel editors, I only edit what I like, when I like, and use my admin bit in that context. If I see vandalism, I just leave it, and let other fix it. If each and everybody would have that mentality, it would force WP very quickly to change it ways. I am willing to do some form of flagged revisions stuff, but that is about it.
+Quote Post
Floydsvoid
post Tue 10th March 2009, 2:08am
Post #28

Member No.: 4,216

QUOTE(Alison @ Mon 9th March 2009, 9:18pm) *

Well, I've been on the intertubes for some 21 years now, and played with computers since the PET first came out. I'm ancient smile.gif Re. Wikipedia, I wasn't addicted, per se, but I'd felt an obligation to fix up so much of the crap, and damage to others. Seriously, any so-called power and glory over there is just so much virtual dollars; it's worthless rolleyes.gif

Gotcha, thought as much. I still think I have a few years on ya 'cause I thought the 129 keypunch was the shit.

I've always been fascinated by the 2nd law. It seems endemic in human behaviour to destruct when one can get away with it.
+Quote Post
Cla68
post Tue 10th March 2009, 2:13am
Post #29

Postmaster

Member No.: 5,761

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(KimvdLinde @ Tue 10th March 2009, 2:01am) *

There are roughly two types of admin tasks for which you can use them, vandal-whacking, and content improvement. After I burned out because of SlimVirgin/JayJG/other pro-Israel editors, I only edit what I like, when I like, and use my admin bit in that context. If I see vandalism, I just leave it, and let other fix it. If each and everybody would have that mentality, it would force WP very quickly to change it ways. I am willing to do some form of flagged revisions stuff, but that is about it.

That's probably a good system for safeguarding against frustration and burn-out.
+Quote Post
Jaranda
post Tue 10th March 2009, 2:49pm
Post #30

Member No.: 248

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

If you ever want to comeback though (which we hope, as it's a major lost), try to get your tools back via IRC, not B-crat noticeboard, as of course you have some enemies around.
+Quote Post
Gold heart
post Tue 10th March 2009, 4:07pm
Post #31

Lean duck!

Group: Inactive
Member No.: 5,183

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(KimvdLinde @ Tue 10th March 2009, 2:01am) *

There is a third type of admin. I see SirFozzie has finally seen the burning light of reality, and that WP is really is a 'drag'. Personally I never did see the benefits of Foz. He's the third type, the "Drama Queen". He revealed himself when he compromised and blocked some perfectly good editors, like Sarah777 and Domer48, in order to get some cheap publicity for his ArbCom election campaign, but that didn't work! ohmy.gif
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th 4 17, 7:35pm