post Tue 10th March 2009, 4:48pm
Post #41

τὰ δέ μοι παθήματα μαθήματα γέγονε

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5,619

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(One @ Tue 10th March 2009, 12:45pm) *

Why not start a wikiproject about this? That is, make a list where users will pledge to walk out on some date if tangible steps toward improvement haven't been taken? I would make such a pledge.

What's a reasonable and appropriate date? I suggest the Seigenthaler anniversary: May 26. The four year anniversary of that former public servant being libeled by an IP address. If nothing happens before then, I quit.

Oh, that's original …

Original !?!

Original !!!

banned.gif

Ja Ja boing.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
gomi
post Tue 10th March 2009, 5:10pm
Post #42

Group: Members
Member No.: 565

[Moderator's note: some off-topic arguing between Horse and Malleus was moved to the Tar Pit, and Moulton's latest offering of doggerel was also moved to the repository for such things. -- gomi]
+Quote Post
everyking
post Tue 10th March 2009, 5:17pm
Post #43

Postmaster

Group: Regulars
Member No.: 81

QUOTE(One @ Tue 10th March 2009, 5:45pm) *

Why not start a wikiproject about this? That is, make a list where users will pledge to walk out on some date if tangible steps toward improvement haven't been taken? I would make such a pledge.

What's a reasonable and appropriate date? I suggest the Seigenthaler anniversary: May 26. The four year anniversary of that former public servant being libeled by an IP address. If nothing happens before then, I quit.

Are these people going to agree on what qualifies as an "improvement"? I don't think you and I would exactly agree on what sort of "tangible steps toward improvement" need to be taken.
+Quote Post
One
post Tue 10th March 2009, 5:21pm
Post #44

Postmaster General

Group: Contributors
Member No.: 4,284

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(Kato @ Tue 10th March 2009, 4:48pm) *

QUOTE(One @ Tue 10th March 2009, 4:45pm) *

Yeah. Actually, I'm thinking that May 26 might be a better date for civil disobedience anyway. FR seems to be dead, so I might as well try to raise the BLP semi-protection project.
+Quote Post
LaraLove
post Tue 10th March 2009, 5:23pm
Post #45

Wikipedia BLP advocate

Member No.: 4,627

Do it. I foresee you leaving, though. So don't make a pledge you won't keep.
+Quote Post
everyking
post Tue 10th March 2009, 5:40pm
Post #46

Postmaster

QUOTE(One @ Tue 10th March 2009, 6:21pm) *

QUOTE(Kato @ Tue 10th March 2009, 4:48pm) *

QUOTE(One @ Tue 10th March 2009, 4:45pm) *

Yeah. Actually, I'm thinking that May 26 might be a better date for civil disobedience anyway. FR seems to be dead, so I might as well try to raise the BLP semi-protection project.

You are on the ArbCom; please don't subject us to talk to "civil disobedience". Instead of planning grand gestures predicated on the actions of others, you could use your role as one of the most powerful people on the project to actually bring about some change. As far as I can tell, you have done absolutely nothing in that regard since taking your seat.
+Quote Post
One
post Tue 10th March 2009, 5:47pm
Post #47

Postmaster General

Member No.: 4,284

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(everyking @ Tue 10th March 2009, 5:40pm) *

You are on the ArbCom; please don't subject us to talk to "civil disobedience". Instead of planning grand gestures predicated on the actions of others, you could use your role as one of the most powerful people on the project to actually bring about some change. As far as I can tell, you have done absolutely nothing in that regard since taking your seat.

Jimbo himself can't bring about change. Policy creation is basically broken, and I'm even more convinced that the only way to get anything is to go do it. That's what I'm proposing.
+Quote Post
The Wales Hunter
post Tue 10th March 2009, 5:52pm
Post #48

Hackenslasher

Member No.: 4,319

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

I would support such a plan, particularly if a member of the Arbcom featured prominently.
+Quote Post
Lar
post Tue 10th March 2009, 5:52pm
Post #49

"His blandness goes to 11!"

Member No.: 4,290

QUOTE(One @ Tue 10th March 2009, 12:47pm) *

Jimbo himself can't bring about change. Policy creation is basically broken, and I'm even more convinced that the only way to get anything is to go do it. That's what I'm proposing.

You have a bully pulpit. Use it. Do, yes, but create policy by doing. If, for example, enough people close AfDs and sustain DRVs as default to delete, then et voila, default to delete for no consensus BLPs is policy.
+Quote Post
standixon
post Tue 10th March 2009, 6:58pm
Post #50

Member No.: 6,521

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Tue 10th March 2009, 3:35pm) *

That is the way of the world. As the officers are killed off, eventually you get to the point that the only people clueless enough to go into the meatgrinder, are teenagers. The origin of the word "infantry" is exactly what you might think from first looking at it: it doesn't mean children in diapers as in English, but it does refer to children with weapons.

Good Grief!!! rolleyes.gif

The word infantry comes from the fact that, on at least one occasion, part of the dowry of a Spanish princess was made up of regiments of foot soldiers. They were nicknamed infantry because the princess was an Infanta of Spain!

To the moderators/staff: Please can I have a nitpicker's smiley! tongue.gif

This post has been edited by standixon: Tue 10th March 2009, 6:59pm
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey
post Tue 10th March 2009, 7:02pm
Post #51

τὰ δέ μοι παθήματα μαθήματα γέγονε

Member No.: 5,619

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

Webster's gives a different etymology, going back to Latin for boy or footsoldier.

But I really think it's because they don't get speaking parts in the movies.

Ja Ja boing.gif
+Quote Post
standixon
post Tue 10th March 2009, 7:03pm
Post #52

Member No.: 6,521

QUOTE(Lar @ Tue 10th March 2009, 5:52pm) *

QUOTE(One @ Tue 10th March 2009, 12:47pm) *

You have a bully pulpit. Use it. Do, yes, but create policy by doing. If, for example, enough people close AfDs and sustain DRVs as default to delete, then et voila, default to delete for no consensus BLPs is policy.

Lar I agree. If, and I think it is a big if, anything can be done to sort out Jimbo's empire then this suggestion might be the first step.
+Quote Post
everyking
post Tue 10th March 2009, 7:10pm
Post #53

Postmaster

QUOTE(standixon @ Tue 10th March 2009, 7:58pm) *

That is the way of the world. As the officers are killed off, eventually you get to the point that the only people clueless enough to go into the meatgrinder, are teenagers. The origin of the word "infantry" is exactly what you might think from first looking at it: it doesn't mean children in diapers as in English, but it does refer to children with weapons.

The word infantry comes from the fact that, on at least one occasion, part of the dowry of a Spanish princess was made up of regiments of foot soldiers. They were nicknamed infantry because the princess was an Infanta of Spain!

Either way, it's a striking analogy to me--I think One here is like a guy with a rifle telling a bunch of unarmed guys to go over the top.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe
post Tue 10th March 2009, 7:13pm
Post #54

Known alias of J. Random Troll

Member No.: 5,156

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(standixon @ Tue 10th March 2009, 11:58am) *

QUOTE(Wikipedia (see citations))
The word infantry was borrowed into other Romance languages from the Latin infantem, originally "a youth" who as an infante "foot soldier" served in groups composed of those who were too inexperienced or low in rank for cavalry. As a meaning for an organised type of combat troops the word dates to 1579 in the French infantrie and Spanish infanteria.[2] However, in military history it has become a common English term to apply to troops from earlier historical periods.

The basic idea is like squire -- at age 13 or 14 you're too young to give you a horse, but will consider you as an apprentice knight. No nitpicker's smiley for you.

+Quote Post
Caknuck
post Tue 10th March 2009, 7:22pm
Post #55

Neophyte

Member No.: 4,750

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(gadfly @ Tue 10th March 2009, 5:02am) *

Was this really necessary?
I for one think that your above resignation statement provides undeniably clear evidence that your decision to resign as an administrator was a very good one. Anyway, I wish you all the very best. — Aitias

Meh.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe
post Tue 10th March 2009, 7:29pm
Post #56

Known alias of J. Random Troll

Member No.: 5,156

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(Caknuck @ Tue 10th March 2009, 12:22pm) *

I for one think that your above resignation statement provides undeniably clear evidence that your decision to resign as an administrator was a very good one. Anyway, I wish you all the very best. — Aitias

Meh.

Sort of adds insult to injury, considering Aitias' role. But what do you expect?
+Quote Post
UseOnceAndDestroy
post Tue 10th March 2009, 7:34pm
Post #57

Über Member

Member No.: 4,073

QUOTE(Caknuck @ Tue 10th March 2009, 7:22pm) *

Yes - it's what he needs to do to score points in the game of wikipedia.
+Quote Post
Malleus
post Tue 10th March 2009, 7:47pm
Post #58

Fat Cat

Member No.: 8,716

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Tue 10th March 2009, 7:29pm) *

Meh.

Sort of adds insult to injury, considering Aitias' role. But what do you expect?

Quite, Aitias is one unpleasant sob.
+Quote Post
LaraLove
post Tue 10th March 2009, 7:57pm
Post #59

Wikipedia BLP advocate

Member No.: 4,627

Meh.
Well, that could be taken as his detailed reasons for resigning leave readers with an understanding of why he's gone, and Aitias could be expressing that feeling... believing that DDstetch's resignation is a good choice for him.

Check me out, assuming good faith. Where's my barnstar? wink.gif
+Quote Post
gadfly
post Tue 10th March 2009, 8:00pm
Post #60

Member No.: 10,218

QUOTE(Malleus @ Tue 10th March 2009, 7:47pm) *

Quite, Aitias is one unpleasant sob.

I didn't realise Germans had such a well-developed sense of irony until I saw his comments on Malleus' and Ddstretch's talk pages and then read his explanation of his username.
+Quote Post

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd 11 17, 7:26am