FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
BLPs of Scientologists need protection from neutral or positive information -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Discussions in this subforum are hidden from search engines.

However, they are not hidden from automobile engines, including the newer, more "environmentally-friendly" electric and hybrid engines. Also, please note that this subforum is meant to be used for discussion of the actual biographical articles themselves; more generalized discussions of BLP policy should be posted in the General Discussion or Bureaucracy forums.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> BLPs of Scientologists need protection from neutral or positive information, This is simply hilarious ... Cirt takes on Jimbo
Jagärdu

Group: Contributors

There is an amusing recent exchange here between Cirt and Jimbo on the BLP/N. Apparently Cirt has been going around removing neutral or positive (but completely uncontroversial) information about actors who are Scientologists or the "hit" films they have been in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Bio...les_on_BLPs_.3F
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Herschelkrustofsky

Group: Members
Member No.: 130

What I did imply, and stand by, is that it is incredibly pointy of you to ask for a source for the fact that Rain Man was a hit film. -- Jimbo
Nice.

I seems that a number of cabal agendas are out of sync here, causing turbulence.
+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

Bring back the guttersnipes!

Group: Regulars
Member No.: 6,696

Ha. Jimbo isn't aware of the degree to which sourcing is used as a weapon in Wikipedia. There is a choice digression on whether or not is is necessary to source the offhand statement that Rain Man was a hit film. In court, I wouldn't have to argue that one; if for some reason it was necessary for that fact to be introduced as evidence I would just ask the court to take judicial notice of it and the judge would almost certainly do so (as long as there were no objections) because such a fact is within the corpus of those which are "generally known". Jimbo is operating under the "common sense" principle that "generally known", uncontroversial facts should not require citation, or at least not on as rigorous a basis as facts which are not generally known and especially those which are controversial. However, Wikipedians do not recognize this principle, partially because failing to recognize it makes it easier to excise unwanted content from articles, and partially because many Wikipedians are unable to appreciate balancing principles generally and only understand (or at least accept) absolutist, brightline rules.
+Quote Post
HRIP7

QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Tue 6th July 2010, 3:03pm) *

What I did imply, and stand by, is that it is incredibly pointy of you to ask for a source for the fact that Rain Man was a hit film. -- Jimbo
Nice.

I seems that a number of cabal agendas are out of sync here, causing turbulence.

There is also a related discussion on Jimbo's talk page.

Perhaps this goes back to an earlier RfC at List of Scientologists (T-H-L-K-D) that Jimbo got involved in, disagreeing with Cirt's view that everyone who had ever done a Scientology course in their lives should be listed as a member of Scientology. There was a discussion about that on Jimbo's talk page too.
+Quote Post
thekohser

Mods, please delete my thread here, started without knowing that this thread had already begun. I will repeat my concern here in this thread.

+++++

Jimbo's been active lately on the biographies of two living celebrities, Michael D. Roberts and Marissa Ribisi.

Jimbo seems fixated on using IMDB as a reliable source for information about these two.

Note that IMDB is owned by Amazon, and that Amazon invested $10 million in Jimmy Wales' Wikia, Inc. venture. So, in itself, Jimmy Wales using IMDB links to spruce up Wikipedia biographies is a fairly significant conflict of interest.

However, when you add that Roberts and Ribisi are both Scientologists... what does that say?
+Quote Post
Jagärdu

QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 6th July 2010, 2:48pm) *
However, when you add that Roberts and Ribisi are both Scientologists... what does that say?

I'm sure whatever its says it doesn't say about Jimbo, but about the editor who has been going around targeting those entries for "BLP" cleanup. IMDB is widely used as a source for information about films by pretty much everyone in the English speaking world. Amazon hardly needs Jimbo to push linking to them from Wikipedia. The issue is also over uncontroversial information in a BLP and not really about IMDB in general.
+Quote Post
Herschelkrustofsky

QUOTE(HRIP7 @ Tue 6th July 2010, 7:19am) *

Perhaps this goes back to an earlier RfC at List of Scientologists (T-H-L-K-D) that Jimbo got involved in, disagreeing with Cirt's view that everyone who had ever done a Scientology course in their lives should be listed as a member of Scientology. There was a discussion about that on Jimbo's talk page too.
Cirt appears to have adopted some of Will Beback's tactics. Another good one that Will specializes in is compiling a vast cataloge of of every negative comment ever made in the press about his quarry, and then insisting that it be included in an article.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Tue 6th July 2010, 7:11am) *

Ha. Jimbo isn't aware of the degree to which sourcing is used as a weapon in Wikipedia.

Of course not. And that is why he's outraged and thinks it's POINT-y to try to teach him, his royal God-Kingness, about this problem, by direct experience. Indeed, Wikipedia isn't much fun when your opponents slap {fact} tags on statements such as the Sun comes up in the east.

Illustrated here (also) is the whole purpose of WP:POINT, which is to allow hypocrisy to exist on WP, without being bothered by concepts of fairness, due process, and the general idea of any kind of shared principles or rules of editing, which apply to everyone equally.

Since Jimbo lives and breathes hypocrisy, WP:POINT is very important to him. Why, imagine the idea that he should have to live and abide by the standards that other people on WP do! The very idea! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/hrmph.gif)

Hey, Jimbo: If the fact that Rain Man was a hit is TRUE, it should be EASY to find a source for it. The more everybody knows it, the easier it should be! A great and wise man once said as much. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/wink.gif)

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/happy.gif)
+Quote Post
Kevin

Member No.: 10,522

Always amusing to watch Jimbo squirm under scrutiny. Pity those on the other side are higher level nutjobs.
+Quote Post
Mike R

feo pero que bien baila

QUOTE(Jagärdu @ Tue 6th July 2010, 8:53am) *

There is an amusing recent exchange here between Cirt and Jimbo on the BLP/N. Apparently Cirt has been going around removing neutral or positive (but completely uncontroversial) information about actors who are Scientologists or the "hit" films they have been in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Bio...les_on_BLPs_.3F

On Chick Corea, Cirt removed loads of musical information that lacked inline citations, but left in completely unsourced material related to Scientology. I fixed it.
+Quote Post
Jagärdu

QUOTE(Mike R @ Wed 7th July 2010, 4:26pm) *
On Chick Corea, Cirt removed loads of musical information that lacked inline citations, but left in completely unsourced material related to Scientology. I fixed it.

Nice job. I wonder how long until Cirt objects. Clearly the most notable aspect of anyone's life is their involvement with Scientology.
+Quote Post
Herschelkrustofsky

SlimVirgin and Will Beback no longer care whether there are inline citations. They just remove sourced material because they feel like it, as in this edit which SV describes as "removed undue."
+Quote Post
Jagärdu

And here's your reply.
+Quote Post
chrisoff

And here's your reply.

Disgusting.

This post has been edited by chrisoff:
+Quote Post
Herschelkrustofsky

QUOTE(Jagärdu @ Thu 8th July 2010, 1:03pm) *

And here's your reply.
"Imbecilic" is too kind a word.
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Thu 8th July 2010, 5:36pm) *
And here's your reply.

Please don't tell me you guys are surprised by any of this.

Not only has Cirt been doing this shit since 2007, nobody seems to say "boo" about it on-wiki.
+Quote Post
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 275

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Fri 9th July 2010, 3:49am) *

Not only has Cirt been doing this shit since 2007, nobody seems to say "boo" about it on-wiki.

Yeah, why is that?

It's almost as though this person has no ability to control his/her impulses whatsoever. It goes well beyond merely "sticking it" to prominent Scientologists - it's like a cry for help, like Cirt is saying "somebody stop me before I make Wikipedia look unimaginably stupid... again" to anyone who will listen. But hey, they made him an administrator, so nobody's listening.

That, or he/she actually wants the Scientologists to sue him/her (or worse!) merely to validate and justify some sort of personal victim-roleplay life strategy...?
+Quote Post
HRIP7

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Fri 9th July 2010, 9:49am) *

QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Thu 8th July 2010, 5:36pm) *
And here's your reply.

You clearly missed WP:ARBSCI. It was triggered by two arbitration enforcement threads, one of which was about Cirt's editing. Justallofthem, Wikipedia's local Scientologist who had started that thread, was indef banned as a result of that arbitration case, in part for "pursuing a campaign against Cirt".

This post has been edited by HRIP7:
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

QUOTE(HRIP7 @ Fri 9th July 2010, 9:50am) *
You clearly missed WP:ARBSCI. It was triggered by two arbitration enforcement threads, one of which was about Cirt's editing. Justallofthem, Wikipedia's local Scientologist who had started that thread, was indef banned as a result of that arbitration case, in part for "pursuing a campaign against Cirt".

Yes, I know. The point is: if Cirt can get away with being a total dickhead, someone is protecting him.
Said "protection" has been so effective to date, it a) got an Arbcom complaint against him twisted until the
original complainant was banned instead, and b) now Cirt can attack Jimbo Himself with apparent impunity.

Cirt

12) From careful examination of the submitted evidence, the committee concludes that, since his request for adminship in September 2008, Cirt (talk · contribs · blocks · protections · deletions · moves · rights) does not appear to have deliberately misused administrative tools.

Passed 10 to 0 (with 1 abstention) at 13:31, 28 May 2009 (UTC)

We know that Cirt was carefully shepherded by Durova and friendly with Gerard, both disgruntled
with Scientology. Don't you wonder if there's someone else in the Non-Existent Cabal who is
covering Cirt's slimy little ass?

This post has been edited by EricBarbour:
+Quote Post
Cla68

Postmaster

QUOTE(EricBarbour @ Fri 9th July 2010, 8:27pm) *

QUOTE(HRIP7 @ Fri 9th July 2010, 9:50am) *

Yes, I know. The point is: if Cirt can get away with being a total dickhead, someone is protecting him.
Said "protection" has been so effective to date, it a) got an Arbcom complaint against him twisted until the
original complainant was banned instead, and b) now Cirt can attack Jimbo Himself with apparent impunity.

Cirt

12) From careful examination of the submitted evidence, the committee concludes that, since his request for adminship in September 2008, Cirt (talk · contribs · blocks · protections · deletions · moves · rights) does not appear to have deliberately misused administrative tools.

Passed 10 to 0 (with 1 abstention) at 13:31, 28 May 2009 (UTC)

We know that Cirt was carefully shepherded by Durova and friendly with Gerard, both disgruntled
with Scientology. Don't you wonder if there's someone else in the Non-Existent Cabal who is
covering Cirt's slimy little ass?

I commented in that thread in Wikipedia without being aware of the background. I wasn't aware that Cirt was focusing on the bios of Scientologists. I'll go ask him about it if no one else has already.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)