FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Salim Tamari -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Help

This subforum is for critical evaluation of Wikipedia articles. However, to reduce topic-bloat, please make note of exceptionally poor stubs, lists, and other less attention-worthy material in the Miscellaneous Grab Bag thread. Also, please be aware that agents of the Wikimedia Foundation might use your evaluations to improve the articles in question.

Useful Links: Featured Article CandidatesFeatured Article ReviewArticles for DeletionDeletion Review

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Salim Tamari
tarantino

the Dude abides

Group: Regulars

lol, Sue Gardner just created a biography on Salim Tamari, and it's immediately tagged as a possible copyright violation by CorenSearchBot.

Perhaps her 6 other article creations deserve more scrutiny.
Suelette_Dreyfus
Michael_J_Sheeran
Kay_Bojesen
Kate_Lehrer
Noticiero_Digital
Marion_Sandler
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

And she removed the tag a few minutes later.

Will Coren dare to block? Mua ha ha ha.

Idiots.
+Quote Post
Silver seren

Group: Contributors

That article is horribly formatted. There's no References heading or Further Reading heading, there are no sections in the body at all, and the guy's name isn't bolded in the first sentence. For that matter, the first sentence isn't a proper first sentence for a BLP as it is. It jumps right into his childhood, there's no lede whatsoever.

How can someone who knows how to perfectly format references not know how to do these very simple formatting steps?

Edit: I just looked through the rest of the articles you linked. The only passable one is Noticiero Digital and that article itself is entirely negative information.

This post has been edited by Silver seren:
+Quote Post
Cock-up-over-conspiracy

Now censored by flckr.com and who else ... ???

QUOTE(Silver seren @ Tue 12th April 2011, 6:11am) *
That article is horribly formatted. There's no References heading or Further Reading heading, there are no sections in the body at all, and the guy's name isn't bolded in the first sentence. For that matter, the first sentence isn't a proper first sentence for a BLP as it is. It jumps right into his childhood, there's no lede whatsoever.

How can someone who knows how to perfectly format references not know how to do these very simple formatting steps?

Good heavens ... how can we expect a woman in her position of responsibility as Executive Director to be able to create exemplary Wikipedia topics.

What she obviously needs is a wage raise in order to facilitate the optimum contributing conditions! $240,000 per annum (what is that ... $30,000 per topic) is surely not enough.

What's good for Sue is good for the Wikipedia, and the rest of you can remain unpaid. It's always been better to keep the serf classes underpaid, under the rule of fear and under oneself - with Jimbo on top.
+Quote Post
carbuncle

Fat Cat

I will not stand idly by and have Sue Gardner accused of plagarism! Do you really think that this
Tamari has been a sociologist at Birzeit University since 1971. In 1994 he was appointed director of the Institute of Jerusalem Studies, an affiliate of the Beirut-based Institute for Palestine Studies that publishes the Arabic journal Jerusalem Quarterly (formerly Jerusalem Quarterly File). He has also served on the refugee committee in the multilateral peace talks held following the Madrid Conference of 1991.
is plagarism of this source?:
A sociologist at Bir Zeit University since 1971, Tamari has also co directed Bir Zeit's Mediterranean Studies Unit since 1994. In September 1994, he was appointed director of the Institute for Jerusalem Studies, a branch of the Beirut based Institute of Palestine Studies that publishes the Jerusalem Quarterly File. He has also served on the refugee committee in the multilateral peace talks that began in the wake of the 1991 Madrid Peace COnference.
+Quote Post
carbuncle

Fat Cat

Ms Gardner does not appear to have cited this source. I'm sure this oversight will be corrected.

Original:
His research draws heavily on archival materials and personal diaries to examine the social and political forces that shaped and re-shaped Palestine in the 20th century. His books include Jerusalem 1948: The Arab Neighborhoods and Their Fate in the War, Palestinian Refugee Negotiations: From Madrid to Oslo II, and most recently, Mountain against the Sea: Essays on Palestinian Society and Culture, published in 2008 by the University of California Press. Dr. Tamari served on the refugee committee in the multilateral peace talks that followed the 1991 Madrid Peace Conference.

Gardner:
Drawing upon archival materials and personal diaries, Tamari has produced numerous studies documenting and analysing Palestinian society. Books by Tamari include “Jerusalem 1948: The Arab Neighborhoods and Their Fate in the War,” “Palestinian Refugee Negotiations: From Madrid to Oslo II,” “Mountain against the Sea: Essays on Palestinian Society and Culture,” and "Year of the Locust: A Soldier's Diary and the Erasure of Palestine's Ottoman Past," a biography of Ihsan Hasan al-Turjman, a young Palestinian soldier stationed in Jerusalem during World War I.
and
He has also served on the refugee committee in the multilateral peace talks held following the Madrid Conference of 1991.
+Quote Post
carbuncle

Fat Cat

Plagiarism aside, and possibly more importantly, Gardner seems to have staked a position in what is probably WP's biggest POV battleground by creating this bio of a Palestinian sociologist and peace talks negotiator. The second sentence of the article reads "When he was three years old in April 1948, his family fled Jaffa when it was attacked by Jewish paramilitary groups as part of the 1948 Arab–Israeli War". One might think that the WMF director would carefully source this possibly provocative statement but it is not given a reference. There is a source at the end of the paragraph, but the source merely notes that Tamari "had to flee the city with his family in 1948".
+Quote Post
Gruntled

Quite an unusual member

Group: On Vacation

This is an interesting test of the notability rules. This chap is an associate professor at what is rarely called one of the World's top universities. He has done nothing remarkable, and clearly fails WP:PROF. But if Sue thinks he's notable, presumably he is.

QUOTE(carbuncle @ Tue 12th April 2011, 1:42pm) *

Plagiarism aside, and possibly more importantly, Gardner seems to have staked a position in what is probably WP's biggest POV battleground by creating this bio of a Palestinian sociologist and peace talks negotiator.

Maybe that's why she flouted the notability rules.
+Quote Post
Silver seren

...so...tempted...to AfD it.

Are you sure it fails PROF? Have you checked the citations on his papers to make sure that he doesn't actually have a good h-index score?
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(carbuncle @ Tue 12th April 2011, 5:42am) *

Plagiarism aside, and possibly more importantly, Gardner seems to have staked a position in what is probably WP's biggest POV battleground by creating this bio of a Palestinian sociologist and peace talks negotiator. The second sentence of the article reads "When he was three years old in April 1948, his family fled Jaffa when it was attacked by Jewish paramilitary groups as part of the 1948 Arab–Israeli War". One might think that the WMF director would carefully source this possibly provocative statement but it is not given a reference. There is a source at the end of the paragraph, but the source merely notes that Tamari "had to flee the city with his family in 1948".

You know, Gardner might actually learn something of the politics of work on the website paid for by the foundation of which she is the CEO, IF she edited that same article as user:Abbadi123 or something, and found out how fast she got her ass kicked.
+Quote Post
Tarc

Fat Cat

QUOTE(Silver seren @ Tue 12th April 2011, 11:17am) *

You? File an AfD? Next thing you know, mbz will be supporting my RfA. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/evilgrin.gif)
+Quote Post
SB_Johnny

It wasn't me who made honky-tonk angels

Is this guy scheduled for a showing at wikimania? I believe it's in Israel this year.
+Quote Post
melloden

Careful, Silver--it might end up being turned into a GA like Mzoli's (T-H-L-K-D). One of those lower-quality GAs, of course.
+Quote Post
Silver seren

QUOTE(Tarc @ Tue 12th April 2011, 5:24pm) *

QUOTE(Silver seren @ Tue 12th April 2011, 11:17am) *

You? File an AfD? Next thing you know, mbz will be supporting my RfA. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/evilgrin.gif)

Hey...i've made an AfD before...once.

I've voted Delete before, probably more often than you would expect.

@Melloden: That's why I asked what the guy's h-index is. If he fails WP:PROF, then that's that. None of the sources are really that impressive.
+Quote Post
tarantino

the Dude abides

Hey Jack! I had thought you put wikipedia behind you. Why did you return to help clean up Salim Tamari?
+Quote Post
lilburne

Chameleon

QUOTE(carbuncle @ Tue 12th April 2011, 1:42pm) *

The second sentence of the article reads "When he was three years old in April 1948, his family fled Jaffa when it was attacked by Jewish paramilitary groups as part of the 1948 Arab–Israeli War".

When he was three years old in April 1948, his family left their home in the peaceful town of Jaffa, as part of an anti-Semitic plot to make Jews look bad.

There fixed it.
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

QUOTE(tarantino @ Wed 13th April 2011, 12:23am) *

Hey Jack! I had thought you put wikipedia behind you. Why did you return to help clean up Salim Tamari?

How could you not love Tarantino? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/wink.gif)

QUOTE(Silver seren @ Tue 12th April 2011, 9:01pm) *
Hey...i've made an AfD before...once.

Hey, Silver, how would you react if you woke up one morning and found this Wikipedian asleep on your couch? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)

I like how this part of the article got removed. You know, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/rolleyes.gif)

This post has been edited by A Horse With No Name:
+Quote Post
Gruntled

Quite an unusual member

Group: On Vacation

QUOTE(Silver seren @ Tue 12th April 2011, 4:17pm) *

Are you sure it fails PROF? Have you checked the citations on his papers to make sure that he doesn't actually have a good h-index score?

Do you think that Sue knows or cares what an h-index score is? I'd bet that at an AfD she'd rely largely on the quote by Rashid Khalidi, who is undoubtedly worth an article though that doesn't make him carry enough weight to make Salim notable.

Note the edit summary when she created the article: "Created article about Salim Tamari, well-known Palestinian sociologist, scholar and lecturer".
+Quote Post
SB_Johnny

It wasn't me who made honky-tonk angels

QUOTE(A Horse With No Name @ Wed 13th April 2011, 12:43pm) *

I like how this part of the article got removed. You know, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/rolleyes.gif)

Well hey, Sue likes cigars. Nuttin wrong wit dat!
+Quote Post
carbuncle

Fat Cat

WMF employee Steven Walling has now done some work on this article, including moving the possibility contentious "attacked" sentence without adding a source, or fixing any of the plagiarism already pointed out. Hmmm.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)