FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Cool3 -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cool3, is thekohser apparently
Alex

Back from the dead

Group: Regulars

Thekohser is more of a wikiaddict than he likes to let on, it seems. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
MZMcBride

Ãœber Member

Always good to copy and paste the relevant text. You remember what happened with Mr. Gerard.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?oldid=...sop:_User:Cool3

Emergency desysop: User:Cool3

Cool3 (talk · contribs) has been temporarily desysopped because the account has been certified by checkusers as a confirmed sockpuppet of a banned user. The desysop was done under emergency procedures and was in turn certified by Arbitrators Rlevse, Mailer diablo and SirFozzie.

For the Arbitration Committee, Roger Davies talk 23:25, 14 January 2010 (UTC)

From http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?oldid=...initely_blocked

Indefinitely blocked

You have been indefinitely blocked as a sockpuppet account of a banned user, Thekohser, certified by two checkusers. Roger Davies talk 23:20, 14 January 2010 (UTC)

Where'd Limey go?
+Quote Post
Jaranda

Group: Contributors

?? the case so far, i trust their judgement. Cool3 edits are a bit suspitious, left 2006, coming back 2009, got adminship after a few months, became semi-active soon after, hmm...

Ok nevermind the ??
+Quote Post
Alex

Back from the dead

QUOTE(Jaranda @ Thu 14th January 2010, 11:43pm) *

?? the case so far, i trust their judgement. Cool3 edits are a bit suspitious, left 2006, coming back 2009, got adminship after a few months, became semi-active soon after, hmm...

Ok nevermind the ??

Oh, they are probably right. But who cares? Arbcom saves the day by banning him, even though (as Cool3) he's only been useful. Arbcom does not like useful people who write articles.

Kudos to him for getting away with it for so long behind the incompetent arbcom's back, but it kind of goes against his "Wikipedia sucks" meme.
+Quote Post
SirFozzie

Ãœber Member

Why do I have the feeling that if we had "let it slide", and it came out we knew about it, you'd be attacking us for that instead, Alex?
+Quote Post
Alex

Back from the dead

QUOTE(SirFozzie @ Thu 14th January 2010, 11:52pm) *

Why do I have the feeling that if we had "let it slide", and it came out we knew about it, you'd be attacking us for that instead, Alex?

I have no idea, I don't control your feelings. I would do no such thing.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(Alex @ Thu 14th January 2010, 4:34pm) *

Thekohser is more of a wikiaddict than he likes to let on, it seems. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif)

Wow, and editing like he was Cla68. Really a founder of WikiProject NATO? Who knew?

Here's the last RfA from June 09. Bland as they come.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Req...minship/Cool3_4

I wonder what the emergency was, BTW? Wasn't Kohs banned for proposing to edit for money? What a sin. Jeeze, louise, you'd think they'd just discovered Cool3 was GRAWP.

What about WP:startover? Or whatever the WP redemption process is called? Whatever it is, hasn't Cool3 fulfilled it about as well as anybody could expect anybody to?

Yes, Wikipedia does indeed suck. Also, it is becoming my opinion that JulianColton and Roger Davies suck particularly.
+Quote Post
Apathetic

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Thu 14th January 2010, 7:07pm) *

Nominated by none other than one of the newly seated arbs!
+Quote Post
Alex

Back from the dead

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Fri 15th January 2010, 12:07am) *

Wow, and editing like he was Cla68. Really a founder of WikiProject NATO? Who knew?

I wonder what the emergency was, BTW? Wasn't Kohs banned for proposing to edit for money? What a sin. Jeeze, louise, you'd think they'd just discovered Cool3 was GRAWP.

What about WP:startover? Or whatever the WP redemption process is called? Whatever it is, hasn't Cool3 fulfilled it about as well as anybody could expect anybody to?

Yes, Wikipedia does indeed suck. Also, it is becoming my opinion that JulianColton and Roger Davies suck particularly.

It wasn't an emergency. It was embarrassment that Thekohser had fooled everyone.

But this is just embarrassing for Thekohser, with an editing history like this.
+Quote Post
Jaranda

It's possible that Cool3 might have been a sock of another banned user, and sold the account to thekohser. Let's see his reaction to this first? Any thoughts Greg?
+Quote Post
Alex

Back from the dead

This just goes to show that, yet again, RFA is a total farce and is completely meaningless.
+Quote Post
Fritz

QUOTE(Alex @ Fri 15th January 2010, 12:14am) *

It wasn't an emergency. It was embarrassment that Thekohser had fooled everyone.

Was it? Thank heavens you told us - SirFozzie and I might have been thinking we'd done it for a completely different set of reasons otherwise. I truly bow before your ability to know what people are thinking through the internet.
+Quote Post
Alex

Back from the dead

QUOTE(Fritz @ Fri 15th January 2010, 12:18am) *

Was it? Thank heavens you told us - SirFozzie and I might have been thinking we'd done it for a completely different set of reasons otherwise. I truly bow before your ability to know what people are thinking through the internet.

I have no idea what you're chatting about.
+Quote Post
Apathetic

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Jaranda @ Thu 14th January 2010, 7:15pm) *

It's possible that Cool3 might have been a sock of another banned user, and sold the account to thekohser. Let's see his reaction to this first? Any thoughts Greg?

Well there was an admin account on the auction block a few months ago.
+Quote Post
Fritz

QUOTE(Alex @ Fri 15th January 2010, 12:22am) *

Ah, it was my response to your apparent omniscience in "knowing" that we desysopped for reasons of embarrassment, when you actually have no knowledge to back that up, bar your general (and sometimes understandable) disdain for things Arbcom-related. I'm certainly not feeling any embarrassment at present - not sure how you'd know/think otherwise.
+Quote Post
Alex

Back from the dead

QUOTE(Fritz @ Fri 15th January 2010, 12:27am) *

QUOTE(Alex @ Fri 15th January 2010, 12:22am) *

Ah, it was my response to your apparent omniscience in "knowing" that we desysopped for reasons of embarrassment, when you actually have no knowledge to back that up, bar your general (and sometimes understandable) disdain for things Arbcom-related. I'm certainly not feeling any embarrassment at present - not sure how you'd know/think otherwise.

No, I expect you're feeling quite pleased you've kicked off another good editor.
+Quote Post
Viridae

Fat Cat

Welcome Fritz. But who are you?
+Quote Post
Juliancolton

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Thu 14th January 2010, 7:07pm) *

Pong.

On a side note, I worked with Cool3 on a number of articles, some of which are featured. Where am I going to get offline sources now? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/unhappy.gif)
+Quote Post
Fritz

QUOTE(Viridae @ Fri 15th January 2010, 12:31am) *

Welcome Fritz. But who are you?

Fritzpoll - one of the new Arbs. Call me Fred, it is my name. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)

To Majorly: not really - why would it make me happy? Why would I be pleased? What do you know about my personality, thoughts, and reactions to situations that makes you have these peculiarly inaccurate insights into my temperament? No, no, don't answer or we'll be going around in circles all night! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Alex

Back from the dead

QUOTE(Juliancolton @ Fri 15th January 2010, 12:34am) *

On a side note, I worked with Cool3 on a number of articles, some of which are featured. Where am I going to get offline sources now? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/unhappy.gif)

Certainly no arbitrator will bother helping, just like they won't create Ottava's articles. They have won The Game, that's all that matters here.

QUOTE(Fritz @ Fri 15th January 2010, 12:36am) *

To Majorly: not really - why would it make me happy? Why would I be pleased? What do you know about my personality, thoughts, and reactions to situations that makes you have these peculiarly inaccurate insights into my temperament? No, no, don't answer or we'll be going around in circles all night! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)

I have no idea who you are, but clearly, you must be satisfied with how this evening's disaster went?
+Quote Post
The Wales Hunter

Hackenslasher

Pointless removal of rights.

This is about saving face rather than "protecting" the project. Bad move.

This way there be dragons.

This post has been edited by The Wales Hunter:
+Quote Post
Alex

Back from the dead

QUOTE(The Wales Hunter @ Fri 15th January 2010, 12:38am) *

My thoughts precisely.

Arbcom are not interested in protecting the project. Deleting Cool3 is not protecting it, it is damaging it.
+Quote Post
gomi

Group: Members

QUOTE(Alex @ Thu 14th January 2010, 3:34pm) *
QUOTE(Apathetic @ Thu 14th January 2010, 4:12pm) *
Nominated by none other than one of the newly seated arbs!
QUOTE(Jaranda @ Thu 14th January 2010, 4:15pm) *
It's possible that Cool3 might have been a sock of another banned user, and sold the account to thekohser. ...

I'll say it: good for Greg. Except for the amount of time needed to game the Wikipedia system (everyone needs a hobby, I suppose, but WP isn't mine), this is a stellar indictment of the "encyclopedia" anyone can edit, as well as become an administrator of! I wonder if it was Greg's poking of Lar in the other discussion* that precipitated this? Getting caught, however -- a major screw-up, unless intended. On the rare occasions that I sock I have much better quarantine procedures.

*(Not available to all, sadly, but a synopsis of which is: does it make sense to pre-emptively ban any account which is published together with its (possible/putative) password? Greg tweaked Lar by posting some obviously fake account/password combos as well as a couple of "real" ones.)
+Quote Post
The Wales Hunter

Hackenslasher

I can't really see the justification for checkuser anyway (not that it needs must justification) - was Cool3 doing anything to attract attention?

Or, more likely, does this relate to a number of "larloveslego"-passworded accounts mentioned elsewhere? Was a crossover found?
+Quote Post
Viridae

Fat Cat

QUOTE(Alex @ Fri 15th January 2010, 11:41am) *

My thoughts precisely.

Arbcom are not interested in protecting the project. Deleting Cool3 is not protecting it, it is damaging it.

Bullshit. You and I both know that when he wants, Greg can be a very productive editor - the man is a pretty good writer. But he can also be a huge time sink pain in the ass who does nothing but cause trouble. I strongly suspect that the only reason Greg was so productive with this account was so it could be used to build rep and subvert the system. He is hardly a dyed in the blood jumbo juice gargler. I don't doubt for a second that eventually Greg would have turned to causing mischief in the end. Like he did when he was unbanned a little while back, I suspect he can't help but poke the bear.

On another note, congratulations Greg, well played.
+Quote Post
Alex

Back from the dead

QUOTE(Viridae @ Fri 15th January 2010, 12:49am) *

My thoughts precisely.

Bullshit. You and I both know that when he wants, Greg can be a very productive editor - the man is a pretty good writer.

You assume too much about what I do or do not know.
+Quote Post
gomi

Group: Members

To add insult to injury:
blocked Cool3 (talk | contribs) (account creation blocked, e-mail blocked, cannot edit own talk page)

They don't want any backtalk! That's about right for WP.

+Quote Post
Milton Roe

QUOTE(gomi @ Thu 14th January 2010, 5:52pm) *

To add insult to injury:
blocked Cool3 (talk | contribs) (account creation blocked, e-mail blocked, cannot edit own talk page)

They don't want any backtalk! That's about right for WP.

Real heretics like Giordano Bruno have to be gagged before taken to the stake to be burned (with their works). Don't want anybody corrupted by what they might say!
+Quote Post
The Wales Hunter

Hackenslasher

Without wishing to second-guess, I can't imagine Greg wanted to use this account to "subvert the system".

1) There's little that can be done with an admin account

2) He wouldn't be able to do it as himself, which would seem to go against his modus operandi

It does show how RFA is a waste of time, as Alex said, though.
+Quote Post
Eva Destruction

Fat Cat

What he said. Did the Cool3 account cause any disruption, whoever was behind it? This is just Arbcom posturing and trying to look tough. Pathetic. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss...
+Quote Post
Lar

"His blandness goes to 11!"

Member No.: 4,290

QUOTE(Alex @ Thu 14th January 2010, 8:52pm) *

There's a lot of that going around.
+Quote Post
Viridae

Fat Cat

QUOTE(Alex @ Fri 15th January 2010, 11:52am) *

My thoughts precisely.

Bullshit. You and I both know that when he wants, Greg can be a very productive editor - the man is a pretty good writer.

Don't be so petty Alex, you are complaining about a quality editor being blocked, so of course you think he is a decent writer.
+Quote Post
Alex

Back from the dead

QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Fri 15th January 2010, 12:57am) *

What he said. Did the Cool3 account cause any disruption, whoever was behind it? This is just Arbcom posturing and trying to look tough. Pathetic. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss...

Yeah, same old same old. I'm really really sick and tired of their antics. It would be better all round if the arbcom was just abolished.
+Quote Post
Viridae

Fat Cat

QUOTE(The Wales Hunter @ Fri 15th January 2010, 11:56am) *

Without wishing to second-guess, I can't imagine Greg wanted to use this account to "subvert the system".

1) There's little that can be done with an admin account

2) He wouldn't be able to do it as himself, which would seem to go against his modus operandi

It does show how RFA is a waste of time, as Alex said, though.

Have you met JzG? Or Jayjg? Admins throw a lot more authority around, and well handled, can get quite a rep up and use that to force their way.
+Quote Post
Cla68

Postmaster

QUOTE(Juliancolton @ Fri 15th January 2010, 12:34am) *

Pong.

Cruise on over to your local community or college library and access InfoTrac, NewsStand, or LexisNexis. If you don't have a few dollars to pay for printing out the articles you need, then get out a notebook and start writing. Or else pay for a home subscription to all or any of those since the WMF doesn't appear to be willing or able to provide access to those tools for active contributors.

Anyway, back to the subject of this thread. Why was Cool3 checkusered?

This post has been edited by Cla68:
+Quote Post
The Wales Hunter

Hackenslasher

QUOTE(Viridae @ Fri 15th January 2010, 1:00am) *

Have you met JzG? Or Jayjg? Admins throw a lot more authority around, and well handled, can get quite a rep up and use that to force their way.

Works both ways. In terms of BLP, JzG is was one of the best admins.

Fair enough if Greg was trying to build an "admin army" to exert real influence, but in the current-era, things aren't like they were in 2005/6.

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Fri 15th January 2010, 1:01am) *

Anyway, back to the subject of this thread. Why was Cool3 checkusered?

From Cool3's userpage:

You have been indefinitely blocked as a sockpuppet account of a banned user, Thekohser, certified by two checkusers. Roger Davies talk 23:20, 14 January 2010 (UTC)
+Quote Post
Viridae

Fat Cat

I'd say he came up in a CU of Greg as a resUlt of that account details thread mentioned earlier.
+Quote Post
TungstenCarbide

Allegedly shot down by stray Ukrainian missile

On another note, congratulations Greg, well played.

Hear, hear. Come on out Greg and take a bow.
+Quote Post
The Wales Hunter

Hackenslasher

Gets more ridiculous.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_tal...sop:_User:Cool3

Has legal been contacted RE this issue? Hipocrite (talk) 00:51, 15 January 2010 (UTC)

Why would they be? Majorly talk 00:57, 15 January 2010 (UTC)

18 U.S.C. § 1030. Hipocrite (talk) 01:00, 15 January 2010 (UTC)

For those who don't have the Unites States Code memorized (unlike myself, of course), we have an article at the inobvious name of Protected computer that explains what Hipocrite means. Given the history between Kohs and Jimbo, bringing this to Mike Godwin's attention is pretty reasonable. — Gavia immer (talk) 01:22, 15 January 2010 (UTC)

This post has been edited by The Wales Hunter:
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

QUOTE(The Wales Hunter @ Thu 14th January 2010, 5:43pm) *

I can't really see the justification for checkuser anyway (not that it needs must justification) - was Cool3 doing anything to attract attention?

Or, more likely, does this relate to a number of "larloveslego"-passworded accounts mentioned elsewhere? Was a crossover found?

That has to be it. Too much of a coincidence otherwise.

When is Mall Cop Davies going to get the Segway?

(IMG:http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp263/Shrlocc2/segway-chinese-police.jpg)

(IMG:http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp263/Shrlocc2/segway-dick.jpg)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)