FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Piperdown block review -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Piperdown block review, ...very interesting & The Usual Suspects Chime In
Piperdown

Fat Cat

Group: Regulars

Well, this has been a very interesting read. Check out the WP:AN board for the discussion that was started from my request here about my Overblocked scam pulled by Carpet Bombing Gerard on WP.

People I never heard of are actually using their brains and saying "WTF?" when reading the reasoning of my block.

Unlike the Usual Suspects declaring me odious, but for very vague reasons they cant quite explain, I haven't even sent one email, or one canvass, about any of this. Just a simple talk page post and a mention here.

Props to those who are analyzing the facts in the case. An obvious vested few of the following people should recuse themselves, but they just cant quite help themselves.

Thatcher - see my WR sig, lol
Slim - OMG. someone whip out the Pierre Salinger and Patrick Byrne archives. Black kettle city. Mark Devlin is spinning in his wikigrave too i'd bet. and all the others that slimmy banned before. Who walked in and out WP's door. Cue the Iglesias.

Sami - OMG. Gary, just STFU for once and stop embarrassing yourself, and your socks selves. How many times does your sock show have to be visited by backstage passes.

Guy - Yeah, when my dad dies, I hop right on the internet, claim it, and start arguing with strangers about trivial bullshit. Someone in his family needs to remind him what is important in life and someone at WP needs to give him an involuntary wikibreak. For good. I've had loved ones die, go crazy, get rich, get arrested, get famous, while I've edited WP, WR, and other bullshit medias. I don't mention personal tragedies to gain sympathty and excuses for transgressions. Bad form.

For those who are able to critically analyze things and present their reasoning for others to review (sounds like what WP should be, right?), I thank you for chiming in:

Alison - you rule. Yes, this is all as crooked as it looks. Your aim is still true.

Cla68 - funny guy, man. Yes, you've stuck your wikineck out 10 times as far and not been banned. You're right. Thanks for the mentions. There's going to be more, keep reading WR. You rock.

There's a few fresh fellas I've never wikiheard of chiming in. The wizard throwing out diffs is just breaking the surface. It gets much better, Wiz. Keep reading those piperdiffs.

And someone please ask, again and again, how my sub /1 page was any different than Mantansockmaster's /1 page. Please. Alison did, and isn't getting any answers. People don't like to answer when they're in the wrong. Emails to Gerard, Slim, Jayjg (polite ones all) received crickets last summer. Lol. Cold stone wrong. When those sort of people are removed from WP it might have a chance. The responses from NPOV contributors has been inspiring so far, keep it up, it all gets much more interesting the more you follow the diffs.

And Cla68, I started many articles, not just 1.

Sorry about the lack of links in this post, start from my talk page link on my WR profile to the right, and follow the links to the WP discussion as linked from there by cla68. If the WR moderator wants to merge this post with the thread I started on Bureaucracy about it, that would prolly help WR'ians follow this.

And again, I've never even been to Utah, never met Patrick Byrne (oh, but that would be cool. Man's got a spine and has certainly elicited some very interesting actions from professional journalists in all sorts of venues), Wordbomb (the most feared man in the history of WP, lol!), never had any vested interest in Overstock.com of any kind. Feel free to read my WP User Page (see my sig) for my disclosures. I'm an open book, except for my real name of course. The Columbia Review Journalist getting mobbed up has inspired me to keep piperingdown, and I am no one of any importance. I just read an article on Essjay one day, and later while editing WP, saw a Bloomberg piece on Patrick Byrne. If people from Overstock do want to send free foam pads, cash, juicy discoveries about the usual suspects, then I can't say I wouldn't accept them, like a boring old housewife devouring true crime. It's been entertaining that is fo' sho.

This post has been edited by Piperdown:
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Proabivouac

Bane of all wikiland

Group: Contributors

I'm confused - which noticeboard? Can you give a link? This sounds like an interesting discussion.
+Quote Post
Viridae

Fat Cat

WP:AN
+Quote Post
One

Postmaster General

#Review of indef block of piperdown

Hmm, like six users in favor of something modest like "reviewing the block" (including 2+ known WR personalities) vs. SV, Thatcher, and Georgewilliamherbert who claim the block is for sockpuppetry COI harassment meatpuppetry of an "extremely banned user" WP:DUCK!

I think those three are worth 10.5 normal admins. You stay blocked.

Edit: To avoid duplicated labor, please provide links, eh?

This post has been edited by One:
+Quote Post
Proabivouac

Bane of all wikiland

QUOTE(Viridae @ Fri 25th January 2008, 3:31am) *

WP:AN

I finally found it, thanks:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Adm...ck_of_Piperdown

Georgewilliamherbert forgets to pretend that administrators and others are equal:

And non admins don't get to come to AN and insist that admins comply with their idea of justice.
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=186715178

Thatcher appears to taunt Bstone for not being an administrator (am I reading this correctly?):

"Tell you what, as soon as Piperdown agrees to stay off the topic, you can personally unblock him, as long as you are willing to be responsible for his edits. Oh wait..."
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=186655318

This post has been edited by Proabivouac:
+Quote Post
Robster

"Community"? Really?

Link
+Quote Post
Saltimbanco

Who watches the watchmen?

Seems a good time to note what an unmitigated, scrotum-headed, flaming f***ing a**hole David Gerard is. Why in the world does that f***tard have any authority at all, let alone all the bells and whistles they've given him at Wikipedia? The boy has a full-blown personality disorder, either anti-social or narcissistic (it might depend on the day of the week). He's a sick f***, and he's almost the face of Wikipedia in Britain. You couldn't make s*** up like someone like that d*** being a high-holy at Wikipedia.
+Quote Post
Piperdown

Fat Cat

GWH is still trying to find some sort of way to prove I'm Judd Bagley.

Georgie boy, ask Slim. Ask Gerard. Ask Jayjg. Ask any other admin who CU'ed me last year. I always edit from the same state, from the same regular joe ISP, and it ain't in Utah, it ain't a mobile phone IP, it ain't a proxy, it's very very ordinary.

I edited my talk page the other day. Please perform a CU. It's the same IP pool as I always edited from last year. It's my residence. Unfortunately I'm not Judd Bagley. Smarter, better looking, less prone to cussin' and drankin', and much better at the internets than moi. Oh well, there's always next time.

That tried old truism that it's not the crime but the cover up that provides the most interesting part of the story is once again holding its own. I think there's white smoke now coming out from some smoky back rooms, is it a new Pope or just some truth leakin' out? The Doth Protest Too Muchers are going to have more to doth about if my smoke sniffing abilities haven't completely given me a second hand TomStonered out buzz.

Such salty language, salty. Gerard's Block Accuracy Average is well below the Mendoza Line. Even below the Durova Line. He's just not very good. But fear of angering the WP Gods makes one's edicts more believable, don't it? Get back in line or you'll get a good rap across the knuckles, young wikipedian, and don't you dare question authority (giggle). But I'm sure he's a perfectly nice fella to have a pint with. Most of the Wikityrants prolly are. We all get a little haughty on the nets.

I must say, that Overstock and Byrne must be really bad. All the best admins say so. Something about a duck.

Sami the uncool cat is having a fit all over Byrne's BLP again. Nah, there's no obsession there to make everyone googling Mr Byrne get a full shit sandwich about how "bizarre" (to quote several admins, lol) the man is. And I'm sure the people doing that are completely NPOV and not in any legal tussles with the Byrne. Lol.

It's a pity, still occasionaly wince when I read WP BLP's. 80%+ of them read like a child's book report for school. I know American pre-university education is an embarrassment, and to blame for a good deal of WP, but since WP seems so UK-centric, you'd think its superior (cough!) o-levelers would be so much more literate in their editorializing of the UK's shining star BLP's. Instead it's mostly trainspotting and fanboys. I think you're right about WP, badlydrawnjeff, maybe its more useful as a heaping pile of possibly true b.s. than an encyclopedia.

Or a propaganda tool for those vested in what pops up at the top of a google search.

+Quote Post
Piperdown

Fat Cat

To answer a couple of points being raised in the AN thread on WP:

1) If anyone bothered to read my WP userpage disclosures, they'd notice a disclosed that at the time of my edits to a particular company's article, I was a shareholder at that time of that company. That company's stock was and still is on the "Reg SHO" list. It was not Overstock. My edits to that company's page were quite docile. My interest in "naked shorting" started with that company's stock, not Overstock's, and my interest in the issue was further piqued by a show on Bloomberg TV about it. I was in no way affiliated with that company either, other than being a shareholder of Dendreon's stock in mid-March 2007 at the time I edited that crap excuse for an article. Kohser could really do a job on company's articles on WP, they are even worse than BLP's.

2) Again, I have no association with Overstock or any of its representatives whatsover. I bought a watch from them once, and would buy more around the holidays, but they don't do gift wrapping. Get on that please, Patrick, and I'll cheat on Bezos. His laugh is a unbearable, and your O Chicks are hot.
Like their CEO says, I wouldn't recommend that anyone buy his stock in the current environment of non-regulation of securities on the USA. Invest in mutual funds folks, and only if you can hold for 20 years.

3) WP Admins know what IP's, home, mobile, and proxy, that Bagley, and apparently all other Utah'ns edit from. I don't represent anyone but myself. I don't represent a firm being sued by the object of my editing, I don't edit WP by night with my own quotes from my publication or books I write by day. I don't take cash from interested parties in legal battles to push POV's on WP. I don't even post evil WP:OR shit about my old boss and have my Oversight buddy delete it later. I don't take out revenge on WP in settling old scores on their BLP's. But unlike the Doth Protest Too Muchers, I'll stop protesting that I'm not some sort of sooper sekrit Overstock agent. I might get the witch-duck test again.

4) I don't "dislike Gary Weiss". Don't know the guy. I do hate sockpuppeting, bullying, lying, power tripping, and hyprocrisy. Samiharris, Mantanmoreland, TomStoner, and LastExit sure don't seem to like Patrick M. Byrne. I guess it's all in the eye of the adminbeholder caught with his n's her hands in the wikijar though.

+Quote Post
One

Postmaster General

I don't know if anyone's considered this, but if he's editing productively, does it even matter if the person behind the account was Wordbomb? Yes, I know what WordBomb did. But that would assume the two are one and the same, and I am unconvinced - the "evidence" provided for Piperdown being a sock of WB is really shitty evidence, and Piperdown should be unblocked. By all means keep an eye on his editng and if he acts up, take action then. Neıl ☎ 10:55, 25 January 2008 (UTC)

Krimpet implies that this block forced you into the poisonous coven of WR. Kinda reminds me of the argument that prisons breed criminality--and that you might have been unjustly convicted.

I'm surprised at the level of woodwork support.
+Quote Post
guy

Postmaster General

Group: Inactive
Member No.: 23

Very reminiscent of the Poetlister debate. Good, productive editor; evidence against her weak. All we need is Durova to close it.
+Quote Post
WordBomb

Ãœber Member

Without a doubt, the best part of this whole episode is the restoration of Piperdown/1. I presume many more people are reading the info you compiled now than ever would have had the block not occurred.

Viridae had the right idea when he asked for examples of WordBomb edits that resemble yours. Let's see if GWH can come up with anything. I'm betting he won't.

By the way, folks, I now have proof positive that Samiharris = Gary Weiss. I'm open to suggestions on the best way to present the evidence.
+Quote Post
Kato

dhd

Everything GeorgeWilliamHerbert writes anywhere is so comically clueless it should be accompanied by the Laurel and Hardy theme tune. His performance on the ANI is one of the best. Read him and weep... or just Guffaw!

QUOTE(GeorgeWilliamHerbert)
That's what the Duck test definition is, pretty much. It's established policy.

"The Duck Test..." Established Policy?

+Quote Post
Amarkov

Ãœber Member

Member No.: 3,635

QUOTE(WordBomb @ Fri 25th January 2008, 1:27pm) *

Without a doubt, the best part of this whole episode is the restoration of Piperdown/1. I presume many more people are reading the info you compiled now than ever would have had the block not occurred.

Viridae had the right idea when he asked for examples of WordBomb edits that resemble yours. Let's see if GWH can come up with anything. I'm betting he won't.

He's already decided that you are the only person in the world interested in Overstock.com and opposed to naked short selling. From what I've gathered, editing those articles and holding your opinion about naked short selling is considered more than enough evidence to block.
+Quote Post
WordBomb

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Kato @ Fri 25th January 2008, 5:52pm) *

Everything GeorgeWilliamHerbert writes anywhere is so comically clueless it should be accompanied by the Laurel and Hardy theme tune. His performance on the ANI is one of the best. Read him and weep... or just Guffaw!

QUOTE(GeorgeWilliamHerbert)
That's what the Duck test definition is, pretty much. It's established policy.

"The Duck Test..." Established Policy?
I'm not going to speculate as to what's motivating GWH right now, but you can't deny the following:
Gary Weiss (Mantanmoreland/Samiharris) always has a "big brother" sticking up for him until that figure's nose gets bloodied to the point that they back away, only to be replaced by another.

Initially is was SlimVirgin, who was eventually shamed out of the role. Then it was Jayjg, who went into hibernation and has since avoided Weiss. Then it was David Gerard, who created the most collateral damage and has been/is profoundly embarrassed by his actions, on a broad scale. Then it was JzG, who is busy at the moment.

GWH appears to be the next guy in the batting order, but also the least equipped to carry the load.

The truth is, I don't think the guy even comes close to believing what he's saying. But he's obligated by something. Again, I'm not going to speculate what that is, but it's something odd and unnatural.

So in some ways, I feel sorry for GWH. But more than that, I feel happy for Piperdown, whose good name will soon be restored.

Of course, we all know that Weiss's ultimate big brother protector is Jimbo, who, I'm predicting, will find occasion to step in and perform one of his mind-boggling moves before this is over.

And that, it shall be written, will be when the Revolution moves from the fringes to the fore.

This post has been edited by WordBomb:
+Quote Post
guy

Postmaster General

Member No.: 23

You missed this crucial bit:
And also being an active Wikipedia Review participant?

That's the real grounds for blocking, isn't it?
+Quote Post
D.A.F.

Unregistered

Reading that, I feel really intimidated, they're fixed on Wikipedia review checking editors. Is kicking people out no enough they have on top of that follow editors here?

QUOTE(guy @ Fri 25th January 2008, 6:47pm) *

You missed this crucial bit:
And also being an active Wikipedia Review participant?

That's the real grounds for blocking, isn't it?

For someone having some thinking skills, regular participation here is against ground for blocking. Those on WR instead of posting here would register several accounts to scrap wikipedia instead of criticising it, if they had some real bad intend.
+Quote Post
LamontStormstar

Postmaster

Isn't it an unwritten Wikipedia rule that anyone who on that site criticizes any of the Gary Weiss socks or shows an agreement with WordBomb on Gary Weiss related issues gets a ban?
+Quote Post
SirFozzie

Ãœber Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=186936013

Figure this diff should be read by as many people as possible (including Piperdown) as soon as possible.
+Quote Post
tarantino

the Dude abides

QUOTE(Piperdown @ Fri 25th January 2008, 1:19am) *

And again, I've never even been to Utah, never met Patrick Byrne (oh, but that would be cool. Man's got a spine and has certainly elicited some very interesting actions from professional journalists in all sorts of venues), Wordbomb (the most feared man in the history of WP, lol!), never had any vested interest in Overstock.com of any kind. Feel free to read my WP User Page (see my sig) for my disclosures. I'm an open book, except for my real name of course.

Have you met Julian Robertson?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)