FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Wikipedia Fundraiser extended -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Wikipedia Fundraiser extended, Fundraiser to run through the 3rd
qoforensics

Neophyte

Group: Members

The WMF fundraiser which was set to end on December 22nd was extended until January 3rd. I can't find any other talk about it and it looks like the change was just made today by Angela on the FAQ.

Cbrown1023 (supposedly on Wikibreak) mentions the change here. Ugh, so tired of that banner.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Amarkov

Ãœber Member

Group: Inactive
Member No.: 3,635

Of course. It's going to be extended until they can either meet or redefine their goal, most likely.
+Quote Post
thekohser

Group: Regulars

QUOTE(qoforensics @ Sun 16th December 2007, 10:03pm) *

The WMF fundraiser which was set to end on December 22nd was extended until January 3rd.

Ahhhh HA HA HA HA HAAAAAAHHHHHHH ! ! ! !
+Quote Post
The Joy

I am a millipede! I am amazing!

Member No.: 982

So many accountable and useful non-profit organizations are asking for money this holiday season. Why on earth did the Foundation even think to try this kind of fundraiser at this time, especially with the economy as bad as it is and people being more discreet with their money? If I'm going to give money to a non-profit this time of year, it's going to a charity, not to Wikipedia.

Good grief. I don't even have a degree in business or economics and I know this!
+Quote Post
Aloft

Please stop trying to cause trouble!

Ah, good. That's enough time for one more good scandal.
+Quote Post
D.A.F.

Unregistered

QUOTE(The Joy @ Sun 16th December 2007, 11:16pm) *

So many accountable and useful non-profit organizations are asking for money this holiday season. Why on earth did the Foundation even think to try this kind of fundraiser at this time, especially with the economy as bad as it is and people being more discreet with their money? If I'm going to give money to a non-profit this time of year, it's going to a charity, not to Wikipedia.

Good grief. I don't even have a degree in business or economics and I know this!

My thoughts exactly, I can't concieve how they can obtain significantly more during the holydays. What were they thinking?
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

Group: Contributors
Member No.: 3,670

QUOTE(Xidaf @ Mon 17th December 2007, 1:16am) *
What were they thinking?

They were thinking that the incremental gains in donations outweighs the decremental losses in more scandalous revelations.
+Quote Post
Derktar

WR Black Ops

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2,381

QUOTE(Aloft @ Sun 16th December 2007, 9:09pm) *

God that hit me hard, I'm still laughing. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laughing.gif)

But really, do they think they will be able to raise any money after Christmas and then New Years. I predict they'll just go ahead and make it a year-long raiser.
+Quote Post
The Joy

I am a millipede! I am amazing!

Member No.: 982

QUOTE(Derktar @ Mon 17th December 2007, 10:09am) *

God that hit me hard, I'm still laughing. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif)

But really, do they think they will be able to raise any money after Christmas and then New Years. I predict they'll just go ahead and make it a year-long raiser.

Like PBS.

I can already see me doing a search on WP and then a screen comes up and says "Do you enjoy reading WP? Please donate X amount of money to see your article! In the mighty words of our sole founder: "We are building a free encyclopedia for the world. That's what we are doing here." Please donate and help the world one edit at a time!"
+Quote Post
Cedric

General Gato

Member No.: 1,116

QUOTE(Derktar @ Mon 17th December 2007, 9:09am) *

God that hit me hard, I'm still laughing. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif)

Not bloody likely that they can. That when hangovers need to be recovered from and when the bills start coming due. Indeed, another extension seems inevitable.

Incidently, welcome the forum, qoforensics.
+Quote Post
Firsfron of Ronchester

Member No.: 1,715

A new analysis of the 2007 fundraiser is available here.

There is a very nice graph.

The analysis boils down to comments like: "Some 40,000+ people have donated nearly $1.5m, a huge sum of money and the biggest and most successful fundraiser in the Internet ever [...] The scandal that Wikimedia hired a convicted felon as COO without any background checks unearthed during the fundraiser has added further to Wikimedia losing credibility in the public opinion [...] The unclear financial planning that totals $4.611m and was intended to change Wikimedia into a general charity operation seemed to be the major bummer though [...] The relocation to San Francisco has not been called off so far either BTW [...] Obviously there are many things about this fundraiser that have been very broken [...] The bar representing people rather than money was, in retrospect, not a good decision.
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(Firsfron of Ronchester @ Mon 7th January 2008, 12:55pm) *

...The analysis boils down to comments like: "Some 40,000+ people have donated nearly $1.5m, a huge sum of money and the biggest and most successful fundraiser in the Internet ever [...]

I'm sure Ron Paul and Mitt Romney would be interested to hear that their $3 million IN ONE DAY records have been smashed by the Mighty Mathematicians of Mimbo-Jimbo.

These Wikipediots can't even get their "good news" stories to mesh with the truth.

Greg
+Quote Post
Firsfron of Ronchester

The one comment that killed me, though, was "The bar representing people rather than money was, in retrospect, not a good decision." As if a different graphic would have made the difference between 1.5 million and 4.6 million. No graphic would have been able to raise 4.6 million dollars for an organization which is doing no more than running a web site and handing out CDs, and switching out graphics wouldn't have made a 3 million dollar discrepancy (between what was given and what was asked for) disappear.

You can visit the Wikipedia CafePress store, though (which is also editable!). No Wikipedia thongs are available yet.
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(Firsfron of Ronchester @ Mon 7th January 2008, 2:49pm) *

The one comment that killed me, though, was "The bar representing people rather than money was, in retrospect, not a good decision." As if a different graphic would have made the difference between 1.5 million and 4.6 million. No graphic would have been able to raise 4.6 million dollars for an organization which is doing no more than running a web site and handing out CDs, and switching out graphics wouldn't have made a 3 million dollar discrepancy (between what was given and what was asked for) disappear.

You can visit the Wikipedia CafePress store, though (which is also editable!). No Wikipedia thongs are available yet.

I disagree, Firsfron. If the Foundation had put pictures of [[hogtie bondage]] and maybe [[Letha Weapons]] in the donation banner, and had some comment like:

"Donate today, and get access to all of JzG's favorite images!"

...they may have picked up the extra 3 mil.

Greg
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

Today's Algebra Problem...

A 43-gallon tank has 22 gallons in it. If fresh water is being added at the rate of 1 gallon per hour, and water is draining out the bottom of the tank at the rate of 2 gallons per hour, how many hours before the tank runs dry?
+Quote Post
Firsfron of Ronchester

QUOTE(Moulton @ Mon 7th January 2008, 1:13pm) *

Today's Algebra Problem...

A 43-gallon tank has 22 gallons in it. If fresh water is being added at the rate of 1 gallon per hour, and water is draining out the bottom of the tank at the rate of 2 gallons per hour, how many hours before the tank runs dry?

Ugh! I hate algebra word problems! So many questions left unanswered. Are the 22 gallons also fresh water, or salt water? Is it a hot day, or cloudy? What material is the tank made from? Those algebra word problems never seem to take other important factors into consideration.
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

The 22 gallons are pickle brine. It's night time and the moon is waxing crescent. The tank is made of studded leather, and you owe $25 to the pizza delivery man.
+Quote Post
guy

Postmaster General

Group: Inactive
Member No.: 23

QUOTE(Firsfron of Ronchester @ Mon 7th January 2008, 5:55pm) *

the biggest and most successful fundraiser in the Internet ever

Maybe that means the most successful fundraiser to fund an Internet site.
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(guy @ Mon 7th January 2008, 4:05pm) *

QUOTE(Firsfron of Ronchester @ Mon 7th January 2008, 5:55pm) *

the biggest and most successful fundraiser in the Internet ever

Maybe that means the most successful fundraiser to fund an Internet site.

Well, the band isn't an "Internet site", but it's also instructive to note that Radiohead kicked Jimbo's arse by several million dollars.

Greg
+Quote Post
Viridae

Fat Cat

QUOTE(Moulton @ Tue 8th January 2008, 7:51am) *

The 22 gallons are pickle brine. It's night time and the moon is waxing crescent. The tank is made of studded leather, and you owe $25 to the pizza delivery man.

Thanks for that one, I LOL'd.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)