FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
A Prophet Is W/O Profit In His Pwn Wikiland -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> A Prophet Is W/O Profit In His Pwn Wikiland, Non-Profits Are Not W/O Honoraria, Fool !!!
NotARepublican55

Group: Contributors

Is it fair to say that Jimbo possibly really believes in Wikipedia's "mission"? Supposedly I heard that Wikipedia could rake in upwards of 500 million if it started running ads, so what motives would he have not to make it commercial. What's your own theory on why Wikipedia continues to remain ad-free.

This post has been edited by NotARepublican55:
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Kwork

Group: Special Contributors

QUOTE(NotARepublican55 @ Wed 27th January 2010, 7:34am) *

Is it fair to say that Jimbo possibly really believes in Wikipedia's "mission"? Supposedly I heard that Wikipedia could rake in upwards of 500 million if it started running ads, so what motives would he have not to make it commercial. What's your own theory on why Wikipedia continues to remain ad-free.

As I understand it, non-profit is a tax option, with some organizational requirements. It does not mean the organization does not make a profit, just that the profits have to go back to something related to the organization's mission, instead of to share holders. Organization employees can make very good salaries, and they put that money into their own bank accounts. It is also allowed to form a separate section of the organization that is for profit, so that option is not lost.

If Jimbo did not need investor money, setting things up as a non-profit so that contributors could take the tax write off for giving their money to a non-profit WP might have been a rational financial decision. I assume he draws a decent enough salary, as the head of the organization, to allowing him to lead a comfortable life.

I know next to nothing about Jimbo, but it seems quite likely that he is intelligent enough to understand that becoming a billionaire would do nothing to make his life better than it is now.
+Quote Post
MBisanz

Group: Regulars

QUOTE(Kwork @ Wed 27th January 2010, 4:48pm) *

As I understand it, non-profit is a tax option, with some organizational requirements. It does not mean the organization does not make a profit, just that the profits have to go back to something related to the organization's mission, instead of to share holders. Organization employees can make very good salaries, and they put that money into their own bank accounts. It is also allowed to form a separate section of the organization that is for profit, so that option is not lost.

If Jimbo did not need investor money, setting things up as a non-profit so that contributors could take the tax write off for giving their money to a non-profit WP might have been a rational financial decision. I assume he draws a decent enough salary, as the head of the organization, to allowing him to lead a comfortable life.

I know next to nothing about Jimbo, but it seems quite likely that he is intelligent enough to understand that becoming a billionaire would do nothing to make his life better than it is now.

You are probably thinking of UBTI (unrelated business taxable income), which permits non-profits to do things also done by for-profits (like run hospital gift shops, parking garages, etc) that they normally couldn't do because it isn't allowed under the non-profit laws. But, they still need to file a special tax form and pay a tax on those activities. Also, if their UBI activities become too large a part of their operation, they can lose their tax status. Is that what you mean?
+Quote Post
Kwork

Group: Special Contributors

QUOTE(MBisanz @ Wed 27th January 2010, 3:53pm) *

QUOTE(Kwork @ Wed 27th January 2010, 4:48pm) *

You are probably thinking of UBTI (unrelated business taxable income), which permits non-profits to do things also done by for-profits (like run hospital gift shops, parking garages, etc) that they normally couldn't do because it isn't allowed under the non-profit laws. But, they still need to file a special tax form and pay a tax on those activities. Also, if their UBI activities become too large a part of their operation, they can lose their tax status. Is that what you mean?

NB: What I know about this is from a workshop given in NYC by Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts about fifteen years ago. Laws could have changed some in that time, and since my notes from it are in a box 3000 miles from here I am relying on my memory.

Non-profit organization, and charitable organization, are not necessarily the same thing, although WP seems to be both. But even a single individual who has income that is non-employee compensation can set that up a non-profit. It is also possible to get an organization that already has non-profit status to act as your umbrella organization. None of that would make you a charitable organization allowing tax exempt donations.

It is my understanding that a non-profit charitable organization can set up a branch that is for profit, and I do not think that would necessarily effect their tax exempt status as long as the income and taxes of the for profit section is kept separate.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
NotARepublican55   A Prophet Is W/O Profit In His Pwn Wikiland  
The Joy   Because people will contribute to a non-profit ...  
The Joy   Actually, if you ask Greg about his experiences on...  
gomi   If you mean your title literally, then it is quite...  
privatemusings   Is it fair to say that Jimbo possibly really beli...  
Lar   (am I the only person who read of Bono's ...  
Doc glasgow   It would be interesting to imagine an alternative ...  
Text   The moment it goes for profit with advertising the...  
GlassBeadGame   Is it fair to say that Jimbo possibly really beli...  
Kelly Martin   The single thing that matters most to Jimbo is par...  
thekohser   I know next to nothing about Jimbo, but ... Why...  
Kwork   I know next to nothing about Jimbo, but ... Wh...  
thekohser   The man does not particularly interest me. Does t...  
Kwork   [quote name='Kwork' post='218282' date='Wed 27th ...  
Cock-up-over-conspiracy   I know next to nothing about Jimbo, but it seems q...  
thekohser   Into this particular hubris steps Becky Betram of...  
Jon Awbrey   [size=7][url=http://www.wikia.com/wiki/Wikia][b][c...  
anthony   Is it fair to say that Jimbo possibly really beli...  
Cock-up-over-conspiracy   I have a feeling that's [url=http://identi.ca/...  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now: