FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Jimbo-Marsden-gate explodes -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jimbo-Marsden-gate explodes, Rachel releases evidence of Jimbo's COI
Heat

Tenured

Group: Regulars

Uh-oh, Jimmy lied !

jimbo.wales: I wrote an email to the internal editors list about your entry recommending some changes, etc. I said that I would run it by you for clarification/comment and email again if there were any updates I think we have two major problems right now first, the timeline is wrong about the recent cop case... that is the worst error and easy to fix

me: what's that?
plus, they also say he was "cleared". not true.

jimbo.wales: second we exactly and correctly sigh follow the bias of the press
right, so I complained about this
for you, they decided not to pursue charges, for him, he was exonerated... this is bullshit and the truth is the exact opposite

jimbo.wales: right so the way it is told now, hang on a second
let's actually do this right no
because the last thing I want to do is take a break from fucking your brains out all night to work on your wikipedia entry (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)

jimbo.wales: "In September 2007, on her blog Marsden wrote about and posted a picture of a counterterrorism officer for the Ontario Provincial Police with whom she had an affair. She claimed that he had leaked secret anti-terrorism documents to her, then posted email messages from him as evidence that he had been pursuing her,[13] and sent to the National Post these along with sexually explicit pictures of him that she had received.[5] She was investigated for criminal harassment for this behaviour,[14] but was not charged.[15][16] The OPP's criminal investigations branch cleared the officer of any wrongdoing.[15][16]"
so our timeline is wrong
we say
(1) wrote about him on your blog
(2) posted email messages from him
(3) as a result he files harassment charges

me: exactly. it was a retaliatory complaint on his part that was launched 2 months after they initiated their investigation into his stuff.

jimbo.wales: but the correct timeline is
(1) wrote about him on the blog

me: hahhahaha

jimbo.wales: (2) he files harassment charges
(3) you post email messages to show how his harassment charges are bullshit

me: you're a sh*tdisturber. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)
right
I only posted the emails after he went public trtying to create trouble.
NOT before that.

jimbo.wales: nod
so we can get that sorted
and then this makes the story clearer

me: that's good of you to do. really.

jimbo.wales: ok so then the other thing is...
in my email I said, here are some thoughts about this, things that need fixing
and i may follow up if there are clarifications from her
but then I said I am recusing myself from it other than that
i explained that we became friends in IM and that I offered to give advice about your website and that we would be meeting about that

me: ahhhh so you qualified it, and left it "up to them". (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)

jimbo.wales: and therefore not appropriate for me to directly edit the article with a conflict of interest

me: which usually, actually, works better than the alternative

jimbo.wales: the truth is of course a much worse conflict of interest than that (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif) but that will do

me: aaaaaaaaahahaha. lol

jimbo.wales: well this is an internal mailing list of people who specialize in fixing this kind of stuff, so you are in good hands

me: awwww thank you.
how many people are on the list?

jimbo.wales: oh, huh
I have no idea.

me: hahaha so you told them the half-truth. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/tongue.gif)

jimbo.wales: depends on what the meaning of "is" is

me: ahahahahahha
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Heat

Tenured

And we have our first bona fide wikilawyering-proof reliable source

Right-wing pundit Marsden turns to eBay after breakup with Wikipedia founder

Canadian Press

TORONTO — Rachel Marsden, the right-wing pundit better known in Canada for a series of scandals in her personal life, has apparently had a messy breakup with Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales.

Marsden posted photos of herself on eBay on Sunday to accompany items she says were left behind in her New York City apartment by Wales, the Wikipedia creator who has himself confirmed he was briefly involved with the Canadian media personality.

Wikipedia is a popular online encyclopedia that has an entry on Marsden that has itself been the subject of controversy.

"Hi, my name is Rachel and my (now ex-) boyfriend, Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales, just broke up with me via an announcement on Wikipedia," Marsden says in her eBay posting.

"It was such a classy move that I was inspired to do something equally classy myself, so I'm selling a couple of items of clothing he left behind, here in my NYC apartment, on eBay. Jimbo was supposed to come visit me in a couple of weeks and pick up some of his stuff, but obviously that won't be happening now."

In an e-mail exchange with The Canadian Press on Sunday, the 33-year-old Marsden had this to say:

"It didn't really help matters that Jimmy chose to announce the breakup to the entire world via Wikipedia (which apparently now is an online encyclopedia that doubles as a personal soapbox?) rather than to me directly (which he did much later, in an instant message discussion)."

A quick scan of Marsden's Wikipedia page reveals that a battle of epic proportions has been playing out for years between Marsden and her supporters and various Wikipedia editors concerning references to her past legal troubles.

Marsden was given a conditional discharge in 2004 with one year's probation for criminally harassing a Vancouver radio host following their breakup.

She first came to the attention of Canadians in the late 1990s, when she accused a swim coach at Simon Fraser University of sexual harassment. But the swim coach, who was fired and later reinstated, claimed that she had stalked him, although his allegations were never proven.

Wales himself once waded into the battle about Marsden's Wikipedia page after Marsden contacted him to complain. He ruled that the article didn't meet Wikipedia standards.

That left him in an apparently uncomfortable spot when it was recently revealed by the tech blog Valleywag (www.valleywag.com) that he had embarked upon a personal relationship with Marsden. The story, complete with supposed transcripts of their instant message exchanges, set the blogosphere on fire.

Wales posted a statement on Wikipedia on Saturday to explain himself and to say the relationship was over.

"First, while I find it hard to imagine that anyone really cares about my sex life, the facts are: I am separated from my wife. I considered myself single at the time of my one meeting with Rachel Marsden on Feb. 9, 2008," he wrote.

"I am no longer involved with Rachel Marsden. Gossipy stories suggesting that I have been in a relationship with her 'since last fall' are completely false ... I care deeply about the integrity of Wikipedia, and take very seriously my responsibilities as a member of the board and as a member of the Wikipedia community. I would never knowingly do anything to compromise that trust."

Marsden, a onetime pundit for Fox News Channel, was fired from the show "Red Eye with Greg Gutfeld" last year. She also had her weekly column for the Sun chain of newspapers discontinued.

Most recently, Marsden accused a former boyfriend, a counterterrorism officer for the Ontario Provincial Police, of leaking her secret anti-terrorism documents.

The allegations, which were published on her blog last September, resulted in an investigation into the officer's conduct. He then laid charges of harassment against Marsden, but those charges were dropped.

On her eBay posting, Marsden assures potential buyers that both of the items she's selling are in tip-top condition and apologizes for her appearance.

"Sorry my hair is such a mess - I'm in breakup mode right now, and really couldn't be bothered," she says.

In the e-mail exchange, Marsden said she was unconcerned about what might happen to her Wikipedia page in the aftermath of her breakup with Wales. Wikipedia is an open-concept online encyclopedia that anyone can contribute to.

"I don't really pay much attention to it anymore. It's pretty ridiculous. I view it as a giant graffiti board for people with axes to grind - or for guys named Jimbo Wales who want to dump their girlfriends."

This post has been edited by Heat:
+Quote Post
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 275

QUOTE(Rachel Marsden @ March 2008)
I don't really pay much attention to it anymore. It's pretty ridiculous. I view it as a giant graffiti board for people with axes to grind - or for guys named Jimbo Wales who want to dump their girlfriends.

Well, at least Jimbo's managed to find another use for it. Maybe someday they'll come up with a third one!
+Quote Post
One

Postmaster General

Group: Contributors

Yep, Canadian Press.

I would like to track the sources covering this in Google News. At this moment, we're at 8.

This post has been edited by One:
+Quote Post
Heat

Tenured

Someone send this to the Daily Show and the Colbert Report:)

+Quote Post
jorge

Postmaster

Group: On Vacation

well this is an internal mailing list of people who specialize in fixing this kind of stuff, so you are in good hands

A sea of rats....
+Quote Post
UseOnceAndDestroy

Ãœber Member

Jimbo must have already known this log exists, which explains the form of words in the third para of his wp statement (that he will use to attempt to weasel out of any COI charges).

But - here we have, for the first time I can recall, an acknowledgement that he's gaming:

jimbo.wales: the truth is of course a much worse conflict of interest than that :) but that will do

me: aaaaaaaaahahaha. lol

+Quote Post
dtobias

Obsessive trolling idiot [per JzG]

Member No.: 962

QUOTE(Heat @ Sun 2nd March 2008, 7:19pm) *

Someone send this to the Daily Show and the Colbert Report:)

Unlike the last round of Wikipedia scandals, this is happening while they actually have writers!
+Quote Post
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Member No.: 275

I doubt it would play well on a fake-news comedy show, to be honest - how could they make the story any funnier than the unvarnished truth already is?
+Quote Post
Kato

dhd

Jimbo Wales's judgment is so poor, he managed to get involved with a woman who hates Wikipedia more than us!
(IMG:http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb311/Kato90125/Katosmileyhappy.jpg)

Who's his next fling going to be with? Willy On Wheels?

Jonny Cache, watch your back. Anymore of that anti-Wikipedia chatter and you'll be getting dirty messages from Jimbeau yourself!
+Quote Post
Amarkov

Ãœber Member

Group: Inactive
Member No.: 3,635

QUOTE(Heat @ Sun 2nd March 2008, 4:07pm) *

HAHAHA. You really thought that?

Nope. Unless it's in the New York Times, it's just a piece of trivia.

This post has been edited by Amarkov:
+Quote Post
Daniel Brandt

Postmaster

CBC picked up the Canadian Press piece. I've heard that the CEO of Wikimedia Foundation considers CBC a reliable source. But then, Jimbo might overrule her.
+Quote Post
Kato

dhd

QUOTE(Amarkov @ Mon 3rd March 2008, 1:51am) *

QUOTE(Heat @ Sun 2nd March 2008, 4:07pm) *

HAHAHA. You really thought that?

Nope. Unless it's in the New York Times, it's just a piece of trivia.

Someone keep a note of all the news sources that are deemed not good enough for Wikipedia on the matter of Jimbo Wales's life.

And then insist that any statement that references these sources on other articles be expunged from Wikipedia.

Wales's biography has long been the most protected on the site, and the fact that so many other subjects are treated with contempt in comparison is deplorable.

Hammer those sources into the article and give Wales a taste of his own medicine, won't you? And if they don't stick, give 'em hell.
+Quote Post
WhispersOfWisdom

Lee Nysted

How does the WP community stop someone from actually adding all of this to the articles of both parties?

On what grounds does this information stay out?

It will be all over the main press world tonight. Reliable sources will carry the news of Jimmy's

activities and his affair with Ms. Marsden.
+Quote Post
Kato

dhd

The Last Temptation Of Jimbo Christ: A Non-Nerd Cheatsheet To The Wikipedia Founder's Downfall
+Quote Post
Amarkov

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(WhispersOfWisdom @ Sun 2nd March 2008, 7:26pm) *

How does the WP community stop someone from actually adding all of this to the articles of both parties?

It will be all over the main press world tonight. Reliable sources will carry the news of Jimmy's

I've gotten it to stick in Jimbo's article, I think. The Marsden article has been fully protected for over a month now, so it's kinda hard to add anything.
+Quote Post
Nathan

Retired

Member No.: 17

We can now add The Register and CANOE (Quebecor Media) to our list of "reliable sources" .

EDIT: Oh yeah, of course, the Register is an attack site. What was I thinking...
+Quote Post
Amarkov

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Nathan @ Sun 2nd March 2008, 10:46pm) *

We can now add The Register to our list of "reliable sources", as well as CANOE (Quebecor Media).

No, those are just silly tabloid mentions, of course. The Register is an attack site.

What we need is an article in the New York Times. Then I get to slap people who say "it'd be one thing if it were in the New York Times..."
+Quote Post
Nathan

Retired

@Amarkov: Give it a day or so. It's already hit the Canadian media (the CANOE link is actually pretty reputable - it ranks right up there with the CBC) so the American media won't be too far behind.
+Quote Post
Kato

dhd

QUOTE(Nathan @ Mon 3rd March 2008, 7:16am) *

@Amarkov: Give it a day or so. It's already hit the Canadian media (the CANOE link is actually pretty reputable) so the American media won't be too far behind.

Not good enough. The only source acceptable is The New York Times. Anything outside the purview of the New York Times is unreliable and trivial. And that includes Canada.
+Quote Post
One

Postmaster General

@Amarkov: Give it a day or so. It's already hit the Canadian media so the American media won't be too far behind.

Um. I don't think we pick up Canadian news the way you pick up U.S. news. After all, y'all know the names of all of our influential politicians, and we can only occasionally recall that you have something called "parliament."

That said, this story is too damn amusing to leave stranded in the Great White North.
+Quote Post
Nathan

Retired

@Kato: Boo. Yeah, I understand but still, give it a day or two. AP will pick this up, it's just a matter of time.

I have the Google News search bookmarked and I'll post if there's anything new, if someone hasn't already beat me to it.
+Quote Post
Kato

dhd

QUOTE(One @ Mon 3rd March 2008, 7:22am) *

@Amarkov: Give it a day or so. It's already hit the Canadian media so the American media won't be too far behind.

Um. I don't think we pick up Canadian news the way you pick up U.S. news. After all, y'all know the names of all of our influential politicians, and we can only occasionally recall that you have something called "parliament."

That said, this story is too damn amusing to leave stranded in the Great White North.

You need the British Tabloids to really rip this kind of story a new arse. But I don't think Fox News Nutter tangles with Wiki-Geek Love Rat (or if it's The Sun "BIMBO JIMBO") is going to bring in the British punters, so I doubt they'd get involved. They'd be probing Jimbo with long lenses and chasing Marsden down alleyways now if they were interested. Which leaves the deferential US press and the hand wringing Techie bloggers to keep the fire burning.
+Quote Post
JohnA

Looking over Winston Smith's shoulder

Are they going to ban eBay as an attack site? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(WhispersOfWisdom @ Mon 3rd March 2008, 3:26am) *

But this same tale has happened of old, just as now. Sort of.

Once upon a time, there wast a women not unlike the woman Rachel. Her name was Angela. And she was once very, very close with the Lord God of Wikipedia, He Whose Name Must Not be Spoken: JMWH. How close WAST she? Well, there are children reading, probably, so leave it. Anyway, as the probably tall tale goest, there came a time when there was a great Falling Out (yes, it actually fell out). And, lo, then didst Angela say UNTO The Lord God JMWH: "Since I am no longer Thy Favorite, may Thou removest me from the records of all men, including Thy Great Work. But Thou Hads't better believe I'm keeping the Wikia stock, Honey."

And The Lord God replied unto her: "NO!, thy BIO must stay, becaust Mine must stay, and Myself has tried to change it, Myself knows. So the rules apply equally to thou, too, Cookie, and if I make an exception for thyself, it shall look as though I do play flavorites, and in case you've forgotten, this whole mess is because thou art no longer Flavorite of the Month." And so thus didst Angela go her sad way, thinking the same rule of law applied to all, and she tried to remove her BIO from the English Wikipedia, but nothing worked, because the spirit of God had receded from her, the glory of JMWH had gone, and his light was no longer about her, and the software no longer did her bidding. And her earthly abhorred commands were reverted by cruel imps.

And it was not unlike that scene where Guinevere is tied to the stake in the movie Camelot and King Arthur can't do anything about it. Well, something like that scene.

But it came to pass that eventually, rescue for the Angela maiden (or whatever) at her private stake, didst arrive. For many Wikignomes whose paying job it is to kiss up to JMWH, or else doest do this it also for the flavor, decided to RESCUE Angela from the terrors of her BIO, on behalf of the Helpless KING. And lo, they typed, and her BIO began to shrink, year by year. And the more it shrank, the less notable she seemed, and the less notable she seemed, the more did it shrink. And it was strange, like unto Soviet Russia where people went missing from old photographs, or else like that episode of TNG where Dr. Crusher gets trapped in the warp bubble and all the stuff in the universe gradually starts to never exist, like Dude, whoa, what's up with that? (okay, that's cruft).

And so it came to pass that one day, a WikiGnome looked deep into his heart after a full night of restful sleep, and decided next morning to make the now tiny BIO of [[Angela]] disappear completely, yea verily, up into its own sphincter, and redirect unto Wikia. Thus consigning Angela information to a hard-to-find TALK page for the former article. Which state could not last, and indeed verily did not. An imp reverted. And the Gnome's mentor Durova was sore-pissed.

But verily, those who spoke about it, and about Angela, daily found their works more and more hidden. And daily, the BIO still doth shrink.

And as punishment for writing here that which is forbidden, I myself do see that mine hands do grow transpar..nt, ev.n as I typ ths messag …
+Quote Post
the fieryangel

the Internet Review Corporation is watching you...

Member No.: 577

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Mon 3rd March 2008, 10:14am) *

And as punishment for writing here that which is forbidden, I myself do see that mine hands do grow transpar..nt, ev.n as I typ ths messag …

Man, that's a classic! This last post needs to go into a special "WR Hall of Fame" section!

Now, for the serious stuff: Does anybody have a link for Rachael's ebay sale? Is Jimbo a briefs or boxer shorts kind of man (I imagine him in boxers, myself)

Enquiring minds want to know!
+Quote Post
Kato

dhd

QUOTE(the fieryangel @ Mon 3rd March 2008, 9:58am) *

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Mon 3rd March 2008, 10:14am) *

Man, that's a classic! This last post needs to go into a special "WR Hall of Fame" section!

Now, for the serious stuff: Does anybody have a link for Rachael's ebay sale? Is Jimbo a briefs or boxer shorts kind of man (I imagine him in boxers, myself)

Enquiring minds want to know!

It's all in this thread, Fiery.

http://wikipediareview.com/index.php?showtopic=16203

I'm pushing for Rachel Marsden's proceeds from the sale to go to Danny Wool's Sri Lanka charity. Which will at least mean something good comes from this farce.
+Quote Post
the fieryangel

the Internet Review Corporation is watching you...

Member No.: 577

QUOTE(Kato @ Mon 3rd March 2008, 11:48am) *

It's all in this thread, Fiery.

http://wikipediareview.com/index.php?showtopic=16203

I'm pushing for Rachel Marsden's proceeds from the sale to go to Danny Wool's Sri Lanka charity. Which will at least mean something good comes from this farce.

Wow, that's really funny. I'm sure that the lady will do something suitably ironic with the money.

Remember, guys, never date a lady from Fox news!
+Quote Post
dtobias

Obsessive trolling idiot [per JzG]

Member No.: 962

Some of your archaic grammar is a bit off.

http://dan.tobias.name/frivolity/archaic-grammar.html
+Quote Post
No one of consequence

I want to stare at the seaside and do nothing at all

QUOTE(dtobias @ Mon 3rd March 2008, 11:48am) *

Some of your archaic grammar is a bit off.

http://dan.tobias.name/frivolity/archaic-grammar.html

And the Mona Lisa should be smiling more.
+Quote Post
Aloft

Please stop trying to cause trouble!

Interesting. The Register story was on the front page of Fark for a couple of hours, but was just removed for some reason. I wonder why.
QUOTE(Fark)
It's still available for TotalFark members.

+Quote Post
Kato

dhd

Here's the big one. The Times of London. It doesn't get more formal a newspaper source than that. They refer to Mr Wales and Ms Marsden throughout.

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/ne...icle3475722.ece
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

From: My name it means nothing. My age it means less. The country I come from is called the Mid-West.
Member No.: 981

QUOTE(Kato @ Mon 3rd March 2008, 10:12am) *

Here's the big one. The Times of London. It doesn't get more formal a newspaper source than that.

Here is the problem:

Either way, they clearly hit it off. In one IM message after their meeting, Mr Wales reportedly tells her: "btw, i am recovered from 24 hours of marathon sex. lol."

It would appears Ms. Marsden is concerned about who Mr. Wales spent the other 23 hours and fifty-eight minutes with.
+Quote Post
jorge

Postmaster

A Murdoch paper no less, onwards to Fox News?
+Quote Post
Nathan

Retired

One site got her name wrong.

So far, Canada and the UK have it. It won't be long now.
+Quote Post
One

Postmaster General

QUOTE(jorge @ Mon 3rd March 2008, 3:50pm) *

A Murdoch paper no less, onwards to Fox News?

Yep. Fox News has it.

Up to 32.
+Quote Post
Heat

Tenured

Wired: Wikipedia Founder Hit With Relationship Trouble, Allegations of Excessive Spending

The sex scandal PLUS the spending scandal.

Valleywag: Jimmy Wales's "gold-plated washing machine"

Forget the bimbo eruptions. Rachel Marsden wasn't Wales's first wild fling, and it won't be his last. Wales used to run Bomis, which he describes as a "Web portal" and the rest of the world calls a "porn site."

What Wikipedians need to ask is where their money is going. Ads have been appearing on Wikipedia for months soliciting donations, ostensibly to pay for bandwidth and other costs of running the site. How will those donors feel when they learn that they funded Wales's extravagant trips? (In his chats with Marsden, he brags about how he flies first class.)

And ultimately one can't really separate money and sex. Wool suggests Wales visited a massage parlor on a trip to Russia -- and expensed the subway ticket he used to get there. To what extent has Wales mixed business and pleasure? Only Devouard and the other staff at Wikimedia Foundation, the charity which runs Wikipedia, know for sure. But the IRS, which must approve of Wikimedia's nonprofit status, may start asking questions.
+Quote Post
Poetlister

Poetlister from Venus

Is it my imagination, or is there nothing about Rachel Marsden on Wikinews?

http://en.wikinews.org/w/index.php?title=S...=rachel+marsden

There are of course several about Jimbo, but nothing relevant.

http://en.wikinews.org/w/index.php?title=S...rch=jimbo+wales
+Quote Post
The Wales Hunter

Hackenslasher

QUOTE(Kato @ Mon 3rd March 2008, 3:12pm) *

Here's the big one. The Times of London. It doesn't get more formal a newspaper source than that. They refer to Mr Wales and Ms Marsden throughout.

If The (London) Times is not considered a reliable source they may as well scrap WP:RS!

But it looks as though the incident is non-notable, in their view.

I like how edit summary "update infobox" means "remove reference of his wife" (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif)

He is still married, although separated, right?

Edit: And I reckon Jimbo let this out to cover for Gary Weiss!

This post has been edited by The Wales Hunter:
+Quote Post
Heat

Tenured

The t-shirt is now selling for $710 while the sweater is at a mere $500.
+Quote Post
Mndrew

Wouldn't it be better for us to not bid on it until a few minutes before the deadline? That would help keep its price down, no?
+Quote Post
jorge

Postmaster

QUOTE(The Wales Hunter @ Mon 3rd March 2008, 9:35pm) *

If The (London) Times is not considered a reliable source they may as well scrap WP:RS!

I like how edit summary "update infobox" means "remove reference of his wife" (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif)

Are you insinuating that this might be a publicity stunt?
+Quote Post
AB

'...I will be generous and give you a week.'

Well, taking a publicity hit for anyone he cared
about would be a compassionate thing to do....

But I'm having difficulty remembering a time
when he's been that selfless?
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

From: My name it means nothing. My age it means less. The country I come from is called the Mid-West.
Member No.: 981

Neither "Divorce pending" nor "basically single" are valid marital statuses. You are legally either married or not. Mr. Wales is married. Adultery, and other forms of fault has been largely removed as a grounds for divorce in most American jurisdictions. Nevertheless fault remains an important consideration in relation to parenting issues and property division. In a recent decision in my jurisdiction a court awarded a a 97% to 3% division of property based on fault.

Not legal advice. *** Discussion purposes only. *** Consult a local attorney.
+Quote Post
jorge

Postmaster

QUOTE(AB @ Mon 3rd March 2008, 10:30pm) *

Well, taking a publicity hit for anyone he cared
about would be a compassionate thing to do....

But I'm having difficulty remembering a time
when he's been that selfless?

I don't think he "cares" about Mr. Weiss that much. If it seems that he may have been complicit with Mr. Weiss in concealing financial criminality in the stock markets then that might be something he might "care" about....
+Quote Post
The Wales Hunter

Hackenslasher

QUOTE(jorge @ Mon 3rd March 2008, 10:13pm) *

It sure looks like one from where I am standing!

It just seems too perfect, and the spread of the story appears too well controlled, too.

Too many people claim to have known about it previously for it not to have slipped out before.
+Quote Post
dogbiscuit

Could you run through Verifiability not Truth once more?

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,015

QUOTE(The Wales Hunter @ Mon 3rd March 2008, 11:27pm) *

Too many people claim to have known about it previously for it not to have slipped out before.

That is simply the "I told you so" effect.

All you are seeing is the typical tabloid cycle that we get all the time in the UK.

Person A does something vaguely of note.

Press pick up on A.

A gains credibility because of press.

(a) A becomes successful and press jumps on bandwagon.

A is idolised by apparently uncritical press (which at the same time is salting away juicy titbits for future use).

Press become bored of success, and start moaning.

A starts bemoaning the fickle press.

A eventually commits/rumoured to have committed/framed into a minor/major indiscretion.

Press get bored and decide it is time to press the Big Red Button and surprise, surprise, discover they have all the dirt on last week's Hero That Could Do No Wrong.

At this point, A implodes and becomes no-news and vanishes.

Some time later, A revives, becomes press hero for overcoming previous setback. Go to (a)

Note that very few facts are needed for this loop.

Perhaps those guardians of WP:V and WP:OR (aka the cabal) will realise that they did want some qualification of the mainstream press being a reliable source after all.
+Quote Post
One

Postmaster General

QUOTE(The Wales Hunter @ Mon 3rd March 2008, 11:27pm) *

QUOTE(jorge @ Mon 3rd March 2008, 10:13pm) *

It sure looks like one from where I am standing!

It just seems too perfect, and the spread of the story appears too well controlled, too.

This confuses me. Are you accusing Danny Wool of being part of this conspiracy by failing to mention it before?
+Quote Post
Nathan

Retired

And now we present a brief intermission...

Amusing and only partially relevant, this post from TechCrunch:
When Will We Have Our First Valleywag Suicide?
+Quote Post
The Wales Hunter

Hackenslasher

QUOTE(dogbiscuit @ Mon 3rd March 2008, 11:57pm) *

All you are seeing is the typical tabloid cycle that we get all the time in the UK.

I have worked for tabloids here (UK), so I don't deny it! But it just seems more than that. It has a Labour Party "good day to bury bad news" feel to it, that's all. We'll see.

Something does seem very wise, though. Or is that Weiss? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/unsure.gif)
+Quote Post
Nathan

Retired

No New York Times yet.

In the past hour...The story has also made Macleans magazine (which is a newsmagazine here in Canada, similar to Time) and I hope it hits the printed edition as well.
+Quote Post
dogbiscuit

Could you run through Verifiability not Truth once more?

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,015

QUOTE(The Wales Hunter @ Tue 4th March 2008, 12:52am) *

It has a Labour Party "good day to bury bad news" feel to it, that's all. We'll see.

Something does seem very wise, though. Or is that Weiss? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/unsure.gif)

That seems a little like Gordon Brown admitting to be a heroin addict just to take the heat off another outbreak of MRSA in hospitals. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
The Wales Hunter

Hackenslasher

QUOTE(Nathan @ Tue 4th March 2008, 1:03am) *

"Jimbo", as he is known to friends, made a fortune from Wikipedia...

Brilliant (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Kato

dhd

QUOTE(The Wales Hunter @ Tue 4th March 2008, 2:16am) *

QUOTE(Nathan @ Tue 4th March 2008, 1:03am) *

Daily Mail? We're getting closer to the British tabloids by the hour...
NEWSOF THE
SCREWS

(IMG:http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb311/Kato90125/derjimboface-2.jpg)
BIMBO JIMBO

INTERNET MILLIONAIRE LOVE RAT DUMPS
FOXY NEWSCASTER ON HIS OWN ENCYLOPEDIA

GEEK GOD-KING FIDDLES WITH HER ENTRY ONLINE
FEUD RAGES OVER SPUNK STAINED SHIRT - WALES LAVISHES FORTUNE ON WINE AND WASHING MACHINES - BRAGS OF ALL NIGHT ROMPS WITH CANADIAN BOMBSHELL - RUNS UP HUGE BILLS CHARGED TO HIS OWN CHARITY - TRIPS TO MASSAGE PARLORS ON EXPENSES WHILE AWAY FROM WIFE

etc etc. you know how those papers work.
+Quote Post
thekohser

QUOTE(The Wales Hunter @ Mon 3rd March 2008, 9:16pm) *

How long before David Gerard or Charles Matthews are posting their little comments, "correcting" that Wales made his fortune in the Chicago options markets, not from Wikipedia?

Come to think of it, have you ever seen a person that had to do more "explaining" and "correcting" of the press' misinformed statements about the person's activity? I can only think of one, and he leaves office this coming January.

Greg
+Quote Post
AB

'...I will be generous and give you a week.'

QUOTE(thekohser @ Tue 4th March 2008, 3:08am) *
How long before David Gerard or Charles Matthews are posting their little comments, "correcting" that Wales made his fortune in the Chicago options markets, not from Wikipedia?

Ack! Don't even put DG and Charles next to each
other in a sentence like that. Charles doesn't
deserve that. Really, they are complete opposites.
+Quote Post
Amarkov

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(thekohser @ Mon 3rd March 2008, 7:08pm) *

QUOTE(The Wales Hunter @ Mon 3rd March 2008, 9:16pm) *

Come to think of it, have you ever seen a person that had to do more "explaining" and "correcting" of the press' misinformed statements about the person's activity? I can only think of one, and he leaves office this coming January.

Greg

*cough*WIKIAISANUNRELATEDENTITY*cough*
+Quote Post
Heat

Tenured

Ms. Marsden's cyperspace breakup: tit-for-tat-for-T-shirt

(Toronto) Globe and Mail

She has pleaded guilty to harassment, accused a former boyfriend of discussing national security issues in bed, and has now been dumped via Wikipedia.

Leave it to Rachel Marsden, a Canadian woman with a controversial past, to bring sex scandal to an online encyclopedia and provide a cautionary tale for love in the time of electronic communication.

On Saturday, Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales posted a statement on the site about his romantic entanglement with Ms. Marsden, the 33-year-old conservative pundit perhaps best known for sexual harassment charges she once brought against a swim coach at Simon Fraser University in British Columbia.

Ms. Marsden, who was fired from Fox News last year, apparently made Mr. Wales's acquaintance two years ago in an e-mail asking him to intervene in the editing of her online biography, which she claimed included libellous information. "I subsequently reviewed her bio and I found it not to be up to our standards," he wrote on the site this weekend.

But Mr. Wales also claims to have recused himself from any involvement with her page after the two began a personal relationship, a position that seems to be contradicted by instant messages Ms. Marsden has since provided to the gossip site Valleywag.com.

"Let's actually do this right now because the last thing I want to do is take a break from fucking your brains out all night to work on your Wikipedia entry (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)" Mr. Wales wrote.

Since Mr. Wales posted his Wikipedia mea culpa, apparently ending the pair's relationship, Ms. Marsden has unleashed a cyberspace tit-for-tat or, in this case, tit-for-T-shirt. On Sunday, she posted two ads on eBay, offering for sale a T-shirt and sweater owned by Mr. Wales.

"Hi, my name is Rachel and my (now ex) boyfriend, Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales, just broke up with me via an announcement on Wikipedia," she writes in the auction posting. "It was such a classy move that I was inspired to do something equally classy myself."

Her name first became known as the centre of a 1990s sex scandal at Simon Fraser, when she alleged sexual harassment by her swim coach, who was fired and later reinstated.

The coach claimed she had stalked him, allegations that were never proven.

In 2004, Ms. Marsden was given a conditional discharge with one year's probation for criminally harassing a Vancouver radio host following their breakup.

Since then, she has attempted to position herself as a conservative talking head, maintaining a blog of her political commentary. She was fired from the show Red Eye w/ Greg Gutfeld last year and has briefly written columns for both the Sun chain of newspapers and the National Post.

Most recently, Ms. Marsden accused a former boyfriend, a counterterrorism officer for the Ontario Provincial Police, of leaking secret documents to her, and even posted online X-rated photographs she claimed he had sent her.

In an e-mail to The Globe and Mail yesterday, she declined to comment on the situation with Mr. Wales. "My only focus right now, to be really honest, is on my career and finding a way to get back into print, TV, or radio here in NYC," she wrote. "All of this other personal stuff is just an unfortunate distraction."

Isn't it refreshing that some newspapers are mature enough to include the word "fucking" in an article? BTW, if you follow the link you can "vote" to recommend the article.

+Quote Post
One

Postmaster General

This is a major daily Canadian paper? Wow.

Voted.

90 unreliable sources, still light in the U.S. except for Fox.

This post has been edited by One:
+Quote Post
written by he who wrote it

Commie Mutant Traitor

QUOTE(One @ Tue 4th March 2008, 8:04pm) *

This is a major daily Canadian paper? Wow.

This is the major Canadian daily paper. all those editors who demanded an article from the New York Times now have at least its Canadian equivalent.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)