FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
SlimVirgin versus Jake Wartenberg -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SlimVirgin versus Jake Wartenberg
gomi

Group: Members

SlimVirgin manages to be the turd in the punchbowl once again, this time to little effect, at Jake Wartenberg (T-C-L-K-R-D) 's Request for Adminship. Now, I don't know anything about Jake, but Slim manages to be the sole opposing vote against 151 in favor. She gets in the rather amazing accusation that Jake is a sockpuppet of a previously-desysoped admin! She then has the gall to demand that he respond to an email from her defending himself.

How does she get away with this?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
CharlotteWebb

Postmaster General

Group: Regulars

QUOTE(gomi @ Mon 24th August 2009, 6:54pm) *

SlimVirgin manages to be the turd in the punchbowl once again, this time to little effect, at Jake Wartenberg (T-C-L-K-R-D) 's Request for Adminship. Now, I don't know anything about Jake, but Slim manages to be the sole opposing vote against 151 in favor. She gets in the rather amazing accusation that Jake is a sockpuppet of a previously-desysoped admin! She then has the gall to demand that he respond to an email from her defending himself.

Hmm... it was closed as "pass" immediately following her vote. No 24-hour extension for this one.

But hey that's nothing, the other oppose voter (now oversighted) described Mr. Wartenberg as a "dangerous sociopath with an extensive criminal record".
+Quote Post
Newyorkbrad

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(CharlotteWebb @ Mon 24th August 2009, 3:14pm) *

QUOTE(gomi @ Mon 24th August 2009, 6:54pm) *

Hmm... it was closed as "pass" immediately following her vote. No 24-hour extension for this one.

But hey that's nothing, the other oppose voter (now oversighted) described Mr. Wartenberg as a "dangerous sociopath with an extensive criminal record".

The latter has been explained by the editor who posted it as a misguided joke.
+Quote Post
CharlotteWebb

Postmaster General

QUOTE(Newyorkbrad @ Mon 24th August 2009, 7:15pm) *

Yeah but... it seems almost prophetic in this context. That is, this user almost seems to be satirizing other (less frivolous) accusations before they were lodged.
+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

Bring back the guttersnipes!

Member No.: 6,696

QUOTE(Newyorkbrad @ Mon 24th August 2009, 2:15pm) *
And the former by the editor who posted being an misguided joke, I suppose.
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

Group: Contributors
Member No.: 3,670

Misguidance appears to be a recurring them in WikiCulture.

Methinks they need a new guidance system.
+Quote Post
tarantino

the Dude abides

Jake has a fairly notable father. He's Tom Wartenberg, a philosophy professor at Mount Holyoke College and author of several books including Existentialism: A Beginner's Guide, The Nature of Art and Big Ideas for Little Kids: Teaching Philosophy Through Children's Literature.

Jake also helps runs his father's wiki and his high school's website.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(tarantino @ Mon 24th August 2009, 2:29pm) *

Jake has a fairly notable father. He's Tom Wartenberg, a philosophy professor at Mount Holyoke College and author of several books including Existentialism: A Beginner's Guide, The Nature of Art and Big Ideas for Little Kids: Teaching Philosophy Through Children's Literature.

Jake also helps runs his father's wiki and his high school's website.

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif) Is it only me, or is there something vaguely amusing about a book titled Existentialism: A Beginner's Guide ?

A guide for beginners, from somebody who is... further along? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/confused.gif) Who has passed all the requirements of Intermediate Existentialism and is well on their way to (what else?) Advanced Existentialism?

From the dustjacket blurb: As a beginning existentialist, I began to feel angst at my failure to detect ultimate meaning in my life and the universe. But that was before I found Professor Wartenberg's guidebook, which told me what to do. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ermm.gif)

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
Jay

QUOTE(tarantino @ Mon 24th August 2009, 10:29pm) *

Jake has a fairly notable father. He's Tom Wartenberg

Quick someone start a BLP of him!
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(Jay @ Mon 24th August 2009, 3:19pm) *

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif)

Absolutely. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/happy.gif)

Surely there are some passages from his work which can be cited to show that he's interested in exposing young impressionable minds to other than pure and wholesome Christian ideals.
+Quote Post
tarantino

the Dude abides

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Mon 24th August 2009, 10:35pm) *

QUOTE(Jay @ Mon 24th August 2009, 3:19pm) *

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif)

Absolutely. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/happy.gif)

Surely there are some passages from his work which can be cited to show that he's interested in exposing young impressionable minds to other than pure and wholesome Christian ideals.

His website is linked from Philosophy for Children (T-H-L-K-D), he's a red link in Aesthetics (T-H-L-K-D)* and he's a regular columnist for Philosophy Now (T-H-L-K-D).

*EDIT The red link was added by Tom Wartenberg himself.

This post has been edited by tarantino:
+Quote Post
gomi

Slim's not liking the mention of the subject on her talk page! She removes the note from LessHeard vanU (T-C-L-K-R-D) with the comment "discussed elsewhere", even though, in my searches, it isn't.
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

Even a year ago, if she had voted to oppose in an RFA, there would have been 20-30
automatic sympathy votes directly following hers, or more.

The crazy woman is slowly losing her popularity.

Good.

This post has been edited by EricBarbour:
+Quote Post
Lar

"His blandness goes to 11!"

Member No.: 4,290

QUOTE(gomi @ Mon 24th August 2009, 9:50pm) *

Slim's not liking the mention of the subject on her talk page! She removes the note from LessHeard vanU (T-C-L-K-R-D) with the comment "discussed elsewhere", even though, in my searches, it isn't.

Look up a couple of sections on her talk page, there seems to be a thread there. She could have politely moved it instead of just deleting, (*) but she may well be right about it being discussed elsewhere. LHvU should repost in that thread.

* - this is where it's obligatory for me to point out that I almost(**) never remove stuff from my own talk page, even if I strongly disagree with it... I commend the practice to everyone, it makes it a lot less likely that people think I have something to hide.
** - limited exceptions have been very egregious vandalism, I think a review would find it's happened less than a half dozen times since 2006 and usually not even removed by me.
+Quote Post
gomi

QUOTE(Lar @ Tue 25th August 2009, 6:35am) *
QUOTE(gomi @ Mon 24th August 2009, 9:50pm) *
Look up a couple of sections on her talk page, there seems to be a thread there. She could have politely moved it instead of just deleting, (*) but she may well be right about it being discussed elsewhere. LHvU should repost in that thread.

The section above is about her accusation in the RFA. LHVU's note was about the impropriety of demanding email obeisance. Related subjects, but not the same.

One can only imagine the kind of tribute she is exacting for her silence. She's like J. Edgar Hoover, with files full of compromising 8x10 glossies.
+Quote Post
MBisanz

I've worked with Jake a fair amount and I really couldn't see him being a sockmaster, if only because he's disclosed his identity. Usually sockers "mess up" the first time by being trusting enough to reveal their information and then later try to stuff the cat back in the bag when they start socking. That said, SV did support my RFA, even though I did not know her at the time and had never worked in any areas she did and I had a track record somewhat similar to Jake's, so I can't explain the oppose either.
+Quote Post
CharlotteWebb

Postmaster General

QUOTE(User:Pakaran)

If you have evidence, I am of course willing to join in on-wiki discussion of my close. This was, clearly, a situation with little precedent. I have been following the discussion, and did read and consider your comments before closing. -- Pakaran 02:41, 24 August 2009 (UTC)

It was?

This post has been edited by CharlotteWebb:
+Quote Post
Cedric

General Gato

Member No.: 1,116

Ah, memories! I can still remember a time when I was just as perturbed by the Every School In The Known Universe Must Have A Wikipedia Article Cabal (a/k/a "the schoolers") as what Ms. Mack still appears to be. Unlike Ms. Mack, I moved on some time ago; realizing that the whole inclusionist vs. deletionist ba-telle was a mere uninteresting sideshow to a far wider drama. Poor Linda! Fighting and re-fighting the ba-telles of long, long ago. Let it go, Linda. Let it go.

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Mon 24th August 2009, 5:08pm) *

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif) Is it only me, or is there something vaguely amusing about a book titled Existentialism: A Beginner's Guide ?

A guide for beginners, from somebody who is... further along? (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/confused.gif) Who has passed all the requirements of Intermediate Existentialism and is well on their way to (what else?) Advanced Existentialism?

From the dustjacket blurb: As a beginning existentialist, I began to feel angst at my failure to detect ultimate meaning in my life and the universe. But that was before I found Professor Wartenberg's guidebook, which told me what to do. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ermm.gif)

Please, Uncle Milty, tell me that that blurb was just for yuks and not for reals.
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

From: My name it means nothing. My age it means less. The country I come from is called the Mid-West.
Member No.: 981

QUOTE(Cedric @ Tue 25th August 2009, 1:53pm) *

Ah, memories! I can still remember a time when I was just as perturbed by the Every School In The Known Universe Must Have A Wikipedia Article Cabal (a/k/a "the schoolers") as what Ms. Mack still appears to be. Unlike Ms. Mack, I moved on some time ago; realizing that the whole inclusionist vs. deletionist ba-telle was a mere uninteresting sideshow to a far wider drama. Poor Linda! Fighting and re-fighting the ba-telles of long, long ago. Let it go, Linda. Let it go.

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Mon 24th August 2009, 5:08pm) *

Please, Uncle Milty, tell me that that blurb was just for yuks and not for reals.

There may be a reason why Milton posted that...but we'll never know.
+Quote Post
The Adversary

CT (Check Troll)

We forgot the Essjay version: Existentialism for Dummies (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)

<edit:>
QUOTE(gomi @ Tue 25th August 2009, 3:47pm) *

<snip>One can only imagine the kind of tribute she is exacting for her silence. She's like J. Edgar Hoover, with files full of compromising 8x10 glossies.

This reminds me of some of Kelly Martins observations in the Utgard Loki-debate: Knowledge is power, as they say, and if you give away your knowledge you give away your power. [...] have failed to make a payment on some quid pro quo he was trying to maintain, and got kneecapped for it..

Irregardless of what is correct in this case; the basic problem is not the gamers, IMHO. The problem is the game, (ie WP-rules) which encourage and reward "gamers".
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)