One, but not clearly outlined. (at math.ucr.edu
) Two external links provided, but primarily for images.Structure The sky is (roughly) that part of the atmosphere or of outer space visible from the surface of the earth (or any other planet; see Skies of other planets).
- 'nuff said. This poorly constructed, difficult to understand sentence is the introduction to this poorly constructed article.Point of View Birds, airplanes, and kites are often considered to fly in the sky
With no sources, who defines "often"?Grammar/Structure It is difficult to define precisely for several reasons.
- It is unclear what the initial pronoun refers to, and the clause should be seperated with a comma. ("The sky is difficult to define precisely, for several reasons")Structure, Accuracy, Grammar
Several sentences appear to contradict or repeat one another, which offers a lot of fluff to this article, but no actual substance. During daylight the sky has the appearance of an opaque blue surface, but this is the result of the air scattering sunlight. There is no "blue object" above the earth in any normal sense, so it is hard to say what object the sky is. The sky is thus sometimes defined as the denser gaseous zone of a planet's atmosphere. At night the sky has the appearance of a black surface or region scattered with stars. But if we then say that the sky is the entire visible universe, it would not be the same thing we see during the day. The color of the sky is a result of diffuse sky radiation.
. Recommendation - kill of the majority of this passage.Point of ViewThere is no "blue object" above the earth in any normal sense, [...]
- Since no source is offered, it is Wikipedia that defines "normal sense".Point of View[...] so it is hard to say what object the sky is
- Since no source is offered, it is Wikipedia's point of view that it is "hard to say".Grammar During the day the Sun can be seen in the sky, unless covered by clouds.
- The clause "during the day" should be followed by a comma.Grammar In the night sky (and to some extent during the day) the Moon, planets and stars are visible in the sky.
- Same error. The clause "In the night sky" should be followed with a comma (which actually belongs after the parentheses).Point of View This is an imaginary dome where the sun, stars, planets, and the moon are seen to be travelling.
Since no source is offered, it is Wikipedia's point of view that this dome is "imaginary" and that the solar objects are "seen to be travelling".Structure See skies of other planets for descriptions of the skies of various planets and moons in the solar system.
- There is a "See also" section for a reason.Point of View Many cultures ascribed strong religious qualities to Earth's sky, believing it to be the home of the heavens and various deities.
- Since no sources are offered, it is Wikipedia's point of view that "strong religious qualities" have been ascribed to the Earth's sky.Accuracy The Sky is Green!
- Let's be fair, this is actually blatant vandalism, but it is also quite innaccurate. It was added on the 11th of may, so has thus far sat for eight days.
(I'll evaluate the "Expressions" section later, unless someone beats me to it.)