post Wed 7th November 2007, 8:26pm
Post #61

τα δε μοι παθήματα μαθήματα γέγονε

Group: Contributors
Member No.: 398

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Tue 6th November 2007, 1:00am) *

I have taken morphine for acute pain. Any opiate that effectively relieves pain to an equal degree relieves withdrawal symptoms. The conclusion is obvious: Any opiate that relieves pain is habit forming, and the more effectively it relieves pain the more habit forming it is. The habit forming molecule, and the pain killing molecule of morphine are probably identical, and the process by which morphine relieves pain is the same process that leads to tolerance and addiction. Non habit forming morphine appears to be a latter day Philosopher's Stone. (Burroughs, p. 241).

Burroughs, William S. (1959), Naked Lunch, Castle Books. Appendix, pp. 239–255, "Letter From A Master Addict To Dangerous Drugs", letter dated 3 Aug 1956, originally published in The British Journal Of Addiction, Vol. 53, No. 2.

It's been thirty years since I read Naked Lunch, but I can tell from the cryptic doodlings that I scribbled in the margins that it must have made a deep impression on that former self of mine. I think I will just skip around in the book for a while, try to remember what there was about it, and copy out samples of the passages that I marked.

The above quotation from the Appendix sums up prosaically and most succinctly one of the author's principal messages of the book, elaborated more stream-of-(un-)consciously throughout the wild and wooly narrative that precedes it. I cannot say whether the link that Burroughs suggests between addiction and relief from pain comports with current ideas about the physiology of addiction, but it has always struck me as a theme worth thinking about, partly because of its analogy to areas that are closer to my own more limited experience with unpleasant affects and their urgings on me.

Jon Awbrey

This post has been edited by Jonny Cache: Thu 8th November 2007, 6:10pm
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey
post Mon 28th December 2009, 4:45am
Post #62

τὰ δέ μοι παθήματα μαθήματα γέγονε

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5,619

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

A Re*Currently Timely Reference —

QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Mon 1st October 2007, 10:30pm) *

Any list of required readings on the psychology of addiction and the political economy of its exploitation would have to include the following book, written by one who knew the problem from bottom to top and from the inside out.

Burroughs, William S. (1959), Naked Lunch, Grove Press. Reprinted, Castle Books.

Jon Awbrey

+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey
post Mon 28th December 2009, 5:06am
Post #63

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

A Re*Currently Timely Quote —

QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Tue 30th October 2007, 8:12am) *

I awoke from The Sickness at the age of forty-five, calm and sane, and in reasonably good health except for a weakened liver and the look of borrowed flesh common to all who survive The Sickness. . . . Most survivors do not remember the delirium in detail. I apparently took detailed notes ...

— William S. Burroughs, Naked Lunch

+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey
post Mon 28th December 2009, 4:35pm
Post #64

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Tue 30th October 2007, 9:32pm) *

Let us continue with our study of the Social Contract between the Pusher and the Junkie.

I awoke from The Sickness at the age of forty-five, calm and sane, and in reasonably good health except for a weakened liver and the look of borrowed flesh common to all who survive The Sickness. . . . Most survivors do not remember the delirium in detail. I apparently took detailed notes on sickness and delirium. I have no precise memory of writing the notes which have now been published under the title Naked Lunch. The title was suggested by Jack Kerouac. I did not understand what the title meant until my recent recovery. The title means exactly what the words say: NAKED Lunch — a frozen moment when everyone sees what is on the end of every fork.

— William S. Burroughs, Naked Lunch

If you find the analogy too sinister for your taste, feel free to substitute Spider and Fly.

Jonny Image

+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey
post Mon 28th December 2009, 4:45pm
Post #65

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

The Algebra Of Need —

QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Tue 6th November 2007, 12:00am) *

I have taken morphine for acute pain. Any opiate that effectively relieves pain to an equal degree relieves withdrawal symptoms. The conclusion is obvious: Any opiate that relieves pain is habit forming, and the more effectively it relieves pain the more habit forming it is. The habit forming molecule, and the pain killing molecule of morphine are probably identical, and the process by which morphine relieves pain is the same process that leads to tolerance and addiction. Non habit forming morphine appears to be a latter day Philosopher's Stone. (Burroughs, p. 241).

Burroughs, William S. (1959), Naked Lunch, Castle Books. Appendix, pp. 239–255, "Letter From A Master Addict To Dangerous Drugs", letter dated 3 Aug 1956, originally published in The British Journal Of Addiction, Vol. 53, No. 2.

+Quote Post
victim of censorship
post Wed 30th December 2009, 4:10am
Post #66

Not all thugs are Wikipediots, but all Wikipediots are thugs.

Group: Contributors
Member No.: 9,640

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Mon 28th December 2009, 4:45pm) *

The Algebra Of Need —

QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Tue 6th November 2007, 12:00am) *

+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey
post Mon 22nd November 2010, 4:02pm
Post #67

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

Reviving this thread for the sake of a current discussion on Facebook.

Jon Image
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st 9 14, 10:09pm