The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Help

This subforum is for critical evaluation of Wikipedia articles. However, to reduce topic-bloat, please make note of exceptionally poor stubs, lists, and other less attention-worthy material in the Miscellaneous Grab Bag thread. Also, please be aware that agents of the Wikimedia Foundation might use your evaluations to improve the articles in question.

Useful Links: Featured Article CandidatesFeatured Article ReviewArticles for DeletionDeletion Review

7 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jimbo starts the push to 3,000,000!, Jimbo's new article means anything goes!
WhispersOfWisdom
post Wed 19th September 2007, 1:13am
Post #1

Lee Nysted

Group: Regulars
Member No.: 2,310

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Art...Mzoli%27s_Meats

^ Jimmy Wales has a new restaurant article and I think this is a step toward letting anything and everything in. More of a news source and inclusion of news that is "fit to print."

I actually like the general idea of, "why not?"

Is it not better to have some information than no information? That is the question. I think Jimbo is telling us his opinion with his new article. A Google/WP team approaches, I think.

The article is up for deletion but the consensus is strong toward "Keep." rolleyes.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame
post Wed 19th September 2007, 1:22am
Post #2

Dharma Bum

Group: Contributors
From: My name it means nothing. My age it means less. The country I come from is called the Mid-West.
Member No.: 981

QUOTE(WhispersOfWisdom @ Tue 18th September 2007, 7:13pm) *

^ Jimmy Wales has a new restaurant article and I think this is a step toward letting anything and everything in. More of a news source and inclusion of news that is "fit to print."

Is it not better to have some information than no information? That is the question. I think Jimbo is telling us his opinion with his new article. A Google/WP team approaches, I think.

The article is up for deletion but the consensus is strong toward "Keep." rolleyes.gif

When Mr. Wales writes a stub it as stubby as the hair on his chinny chin chin. He never did get around to that promised photograph for the article.
+Quote Post
everyking
post Wed 19th September 2007, 1:42am
Post #3

Postmaster

Member No.: 81

It's actually quite surprising because Jimbo has been turning pretty strongly towards deletionism in recent years. I wouldn't have thought by this point he'd want Wikipedia to have an article like this, and actually go to the trouble to create it himself (thereby effectively shielding it against deletion). Does anyone know if he has some kind of personal involvement with the restaurant?

But anyway, it's definitely a good thing; even if it doesn't mean Jimbo is moving back towards inclusionism, at least it can be pointed to as an example of a subject with minor, local notability that is endorsed by Jimbo, which could help swing other debates.
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame
post Wed 19th September 2007, 1:50am
Post #4

Dharma Bum

From: My name it means nothing. My age it means less. The country I come from is called the Mid-West.

QUOTE(everyking @ Tue 18th September 2007, 7:42pm) *

It's actually quite surprising because Jimbo has been turning pretty strongly towards deletionism in recent years. I wouldn't have thought by this point he'd want Wikipedia to have an article like this, and actually go to the trouble to create it himself (thereby effectively shielding it against deletion). Does anyone know if he has some kind of personal involvement with the restaurant?

But anyway, it's definitely a good thing; even if it doesn't mean Jimbo is moving back towards inclusionism, at least it can be pointed to as an example of a subject with minor, local notability that is endorsed by Jimbo, which could help swing other debates.

Just another exercise in dysfunctional social networking. It means nothing other than encourages further lawlessness. The "keeps" (apart from Everyking who sincerely believes in such inclusion) are sniveling ass kisser seeking ingratiation points.

It won't help a "inclusionism" a bit next time a "more equal" community elite seeks to delete an article and the "keeps" get consensus mugged.
+Quote Post
WhispersOfWisdom
post Wed 19th September 2007, 2:07am
Post #5

Lee Nysted

Member No.: 2,310

QUOTE(everyking @ Tue 18th September 2007, 8:42pm) *

I believe this is a very strong political statement, even if not fully subconscious and / or subliminal, that the Jimmy Wales story will help the world gain full employment, end starvation, and help give peace a chance. I say if one family eats and one child is educated because of the publicity to Jimmy's new restaurant, he did a good deed. Now let this be a lesson to all of the deletionists that have taken such a strong hold on the encyclopedia.

In law, we call this a "precedent case." From now on re: notability, WP should use the term, "Jimbo's Meat." (e.g., I vote keep, citing "Jimbo's Meat.")
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame
post Wed 19th September 2007, 2:14am
Post #6

Dharma Bum

QUOTE(WhispersOfWisdom @ Tue 18th September 2007, 8:07pm) *

QUOTE(everyking @ Tue 18th September 2007, 8:42pm) *

I believe this is a very strong political statement, even if not fully subconscious and / or subliminal, that the Jimmy Wales story will help the world gain full employment, end starvation, and help give peace a chance. I say if one family eats and one child is educated because of the publicity to Jimmy's new restaurant, he did a good deed. Now let this be a lesson to all of the deletionists that have taken such a strong hold on the encyclopedia.

In law, we call this a "precedent case." From now on re: notability, WP should use the term, "Jimbo's Meat." (e.g., I vote keep, citing "Jimbo's Meat.")

Your blinded by the the stare decisis in your eyes.
+Quote Post
BobbyBombastic
post Wed 19th September 2007, 5:16am
Post #7

gabba gabba hey

Member No.: 1,223

maybe they offered the WMF free catering?

but seriously, how many here think your stub would have a chance of not being speedy deleted if you wrote it like this. watching Jimbo bumble around and do stuff like this is evidence to me that he has no idea what he has created and isn't all that interested in it, at least in the way his devoted "editors" are.
+Quote Post
Somey
post Wed 19th September 2007, 5:52am
Post #8

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 275

QUOTE(BobbyBombastic @ Wed 19th September 2007, 12:16am) *
maybe they offered the WMF free catering?

I dunno... we shouldn't underestimate the intelligence of these WMF people. Anyone who's spent any time on the outskirts of Cape Town knows that the local meats are not quite Grade A, if you know what I mean. Ostriches, crocodiles, even certain types of insects... anything goes there meat-wise, apparently. Smart foundation-staffers know that it's best to stick with lentils, wild asparagus, and Indian-style vegetable curries, at least until you reach Johannesburg.
+Quote Post
Kato
post Wed 19th September 2007, 5:55am
Post #9

dhd

Member No.: 767

QUOTE(Somey @ Wed 19th September 2007, 6:52am) *

Ostriches, crocodiles, even certain types of insects... anything goes there meat-wise, apparently.

Jimbo lives in Florida. That's his breakfast.
+Quote Post
jorge
post Wed 19th September 2007, 8:48am
Post #10

Postmaster

Group: On Vacation
Member No.: 29

QUOTE(Kato @ Wed 19th September 2007, 6:55am) *

Ostriches, crocodiles, even certain types of insects... anything goes there meat-wise, apparently.

Do they serve pasta?
+Quote Post
thekohser
post Wed 19th September 2007, 6:50pm
Post #11

Member No.: 911

QUOTE(WhispersOfWisdom @ Tue 18th September 2007, 9:13pm) *

I love how Mzoli's Meats is notable and keepable, since it's written by Der Jimbo, but Norman Technologies was not, since it was written by Wikipedia Review.

Oh, Jimbo, you keep us so entertained with your meddling.

Greg
+Quote Post
SqueakBox
post Wed 19th September 2007, 7:01pm
Post #12

Member No.: 1,202

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(Kato @ Wed 19th September 2007, 5:55am) *

That is alligators not crocs who live in Florida (saw it on Bear Grills lasty night), Squeak ph34r.gif Box

QUOTE(WhispersOfWisdom @ Wed 19th September 2007, 1:13am) *

We have such poor coverage of Africa and such bloated coverage of America that one can only assume the person who started this afd was trolling. The Kate tool should let us know how many new articles individuals create, Squeak ph34r.gif Box
+Quote Post
^demon
post Wed 19th September 2007, 8:12pm
Post #13

Neophyte

Member No.: 1,299

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

I AFD'd it. Trolling? Not hardly.
+Quote Post
Jaranda
post Wed 19th September 2007, 8:23pm
Post #14

Member No.: 248

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

Some people should excuse themselves from the project and find a new hobby.--[[User:Jimbo Wales|Jimbo Wales]] 19:25, 19 September 2007 (UTC)

Jimbo told me and ^demon to leave the project, I followed his command, I'm gone until I hear an apology from Jimbo
+Quote Post
guy
post Wed 19th September 2007, 8:26pm
Post #15

Postmaster General

Group: Inactive
Member No.: 23

QUOTE(^demon @ Wed 19th September 2007, 9:12pm) *

I AFD'd it. Trolling? Not hardly.

Welcome ^demon.
QUOTE(Jaranda @ Wed 19th September 2007, 9:23pm) *

Jimbo told me and ^demon to leave the project, I followed his command, I'm gone until I hear an apology from Jimbo

Fair enough.
+Quote Post
The Joy
post Wed 19th September 2007, 8:30pm
Post #16

I am a millipede! I am amazing!

Group: Members
Member No.: 982

This comment is getting more than a few angry at Jimbo.

It's only going to get more "interesting" from here on out. Put it on your watchlists, those not banned!

Remember, this is the man that insulted and made Zoe leave. Zoe could be rude but she didn't deserve the comment Jimbo gave her!

Anyone that opposes him is against the WikiWay! Or rather his WikiWay.
+Quote Post
thekohser
post Wed 19th September 2007, 8:37pm
Post #17

Member No.: 911

QUOTE(Jaranda @ Wed 19th September 2007, 4:23pm) *

Some people should excuse themselves from the project and find a new hobby.--[[User:Jimbo Wales|Jimbo Wales]] 19:25, 19 September 2007 (UTC)

I could not think of a better thing for Der Jimbo himself to do!

Oh, were it that easy.

Welcome to Wikipedia Review, you guys. As with a handful of others within this community, you probably now have the opinion that Wikipedia itself is a pretty cool idea, if only the boob named Jimbo Wales weren't participating in it. Sincerely, I think his decisions (and the power of his influence) account for 90% of the troubles on Wikipedia.

Greg
+Quote Post
Jaranda
post Wed 19th September 2007, 8:50pm
Post #18

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

I just deleted the page, it was obviously restored, but I got insulted from Jimbo himself, no way I'm coming back to the project.
+Quote Post
SqueakBox
post Wed 19th September 2007, 8:59pm
Post #19

Member No.: 1,202

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(Jaranda @ Wed 19th September 2007, 8:23pm) *

But why delete the article. That was highly disruptive as I was about to add another ref and found you had deleted. Perhaps you owe him an apology first. Admins should be held to high ustandards and it strikes me you abused that authority to make a point and disrupted innocent bystander users in the process, Squeak ph34r.gif Box

QUOTE(SqueakBox @ Wed 19th September 2007, 8:56pm) *

QUOTE(Jaranda @ Wed 19th September 2007, 8:23pm) *

But why delete the article. That was highly disruptive as I was about to add another ref and found you had deleted. Perhaps you owe him an apology first. Admins should be held to high ustandards and it strikes me you abused that authority to make a point and disrupted innocent bystander users in the process, Squeak ph34r.gif Box

And disruption by an 18 year old US schoolkid at that cached user page. Sigh, Squeak ph34r.gif Box
+Quote Post
Jaranda
post Wed 19th September 2007, 9:06pm
Post #20

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

He should own me an apology, if another editor tells a person to leave the project, they would be blocked. Jimbo told me and ^demon, (and possibly others) two editors who have been admins for over a year to leave the project, literally saying that we aren't wanted here. I been in the project for over two years, wrote hundreds of articles, only to get that treatment here from the founder. I know I "left" many times before, but seriously this is special circumstances.
+Quote Post

7 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st 2 18, 1:28pm