| 50 Ways that connect Wikia/Wikimedia
, Do your best...
Wed 6th February 2008, 1:42am
Joined: Fri 29th Dec 2006, 8:39pm
Member No.: 767
Inspired by a combination of this template :
hastily added to the Wikia article
to clarify a confusion recently...
...and Greg's long held contradictory assertion that there is
a "tight-knit connection between Wikimedia and Wikia
", which implies by deduction that there is a private company attempting to make a fortune on the back of your "voluntary" work
...I want to see if we can come up with 50 similarities or connections between the "voluntary" Wikimedia (Wikipedia / Commons etc)
and the "for profit" Wikia Inc..
I'll set the ball rolling with a couple of easy ones, and future proposals in the thread can be added to this top post.*
50 Ways that Wikipedia/Wikimedia Foundation and Wikia, Inc. are not 'entirely separate entities'.
- Jimbo Wales was a co-founder of Wikipedia and a co-founder of Wikia Inc.
- Jimbo Wales promotes Wikia Inc. at Wikimania, a Wikimedia Meet-Up funded by donors to the Wikimedia Foundation.
- In 2009, Wikia agrees to sublease two of their conference rooms to the Wikimedia Foundation. WMF's Daniel Phelps "collected a dozen bids for the space in SOMA, and Wikia matched the best offer". The WMF write "Wikia has been doing intensive work on the usability front and making the code available to public, so I look forward to collaborating with the Wikia technical and product teams to exchange ideas and learn from their work"
- It was revealed that Wikia, Inc. was hosting a secret mailing list comprised exclusively of hand-picked Wikipedia administrators and certain representatives of the Foundation, including Wikipedia co-founder himself, Jimmy Wales.
- Michael Davis a past business partner of Jimmy Wales, served on the Wikimedia Foundation Board and as WMF Treasurer, also becoming Treasurer and Secretary of Wikia Inc. in 2006.
- Angela Beesely was on the board of trustees of the Wikimedia Foundation when she co-founded Wikia Inc. in 2004. As well as being vice president of Wikia Inc. she remains a member of the Communications Committee of the Wikimedia Foundation. She also chairs the Foundation's Advisory Board.
- Wikia, Inc. hired Ryan Jordan (Essjay) in January 2007. Jimmy Wales then without debate installed him onto the Wikipedia's most visible chamber of dispute resolution, the Arbitration committee in February 2007. (Wales later blamed this misadventure on the "unanimous" support of the ArbCom for the appointment.)
- External links to Wikia (in the "interwiki" format) were exempt from "nofollow" decree issued by Jimmy Wales, which Wales later denied he issued, but Brion Vibber made clear was Wales' decree.
- There are over 11,000 external links from English Wikipedia pages to Wikia.com pages. As recently as 16 months ago, this number was 3,400, so the problem is growing at a faster rate than actual Wikipedia pages.
- There are over 150,000 external links from English Wikipedia pages to Amazon.com and IMDB.com (owned by Amazon) pages. Amazon is the leading financial investor in Wikia, Inc.
- WMF's Form 990 from 2005 (Line 80) clearly states that the WMF is "related... through common membership, governing bodies, trustees, officers, etc., to any other exempt or non-exempt organization", and typed in bright black letters, that non-exempt organization is listed as Wikia, Inc.
("This is why it is so hilarious that Alison Wheeler says this "is a matter of *law*" -- indeed, it is. The only form that the WMF is legally
obligated to file is Form 990, and it says that there *is* a related commonality between the WMF
and Wikia Inc
. Alison obviously has no clue what she's talking about!" TheKohsher
) Angela Beesley, vice president of Wikia Inc. regularly edits the Wikipedia article about Wikia, Inc. as User:Angela. Jimmy Wales offered that Wikia Inc. could be a "testing ground" for the highlighted edits that was proposed at last Wikimania. Angela Beesley, vice president of Wikia Inc. has been caught trying to "save" articles and authors who've been deleted/rejected by Wikipedia, so that they can be reconstituted on Wikia.com.Wikipedia operates a practice of "transwiking" of content created by volunteers from Wikipedia to Wikia Inc. "for-profit" sites. In other words, removing articles from Wikipedia and placing them on Wikia's Wikis. A link is then provided on Wikipedia to the new for-profit Wiki.In 2005 Jimbo Wales stated that he hoped to use the money raised by Wikia "to support his nonprofit Wikimedia Foundation Inc., which funds Wikipedia and other smaller projects."Tim Starling worked for Wikia Inc. before being employed by the Wikimedia Foundation.Brad Patrick worked for Wikia Inc.before being employed by the Wikimedia Foundation. Kat Walsh was employed by Wikia Inc. before joining Wikimedia's Board of Trustees.Wikia Inc.'s "About Us" page states that
"Wikia's staff members have over 60 years Wikipedia experience among them."Jimmy Wales has threatened legal action against another wiki-related site, by e-mailing its owner "I do not remember you executing a trademark agreement with the Wikimedia Foundation to allow you to use our name in commerce. I am now blocking your <Wikipedia> account." The email was sent from email@example.com, to communicate what Wales could only have thought constituted official Wikimedia Foundation legal action.Google is so convinced that someone typing "Wikia" actually means "Wikipedia", searches for pairs of words containing the word "Wikia" will return results pointing to Wikipedia. Examples: "wikia reference", "wikia links", or "wikia funding", and notice the word "Wikipedia" returned in bold in many of the top results.See Note E of the 2007 WMF audit - Related Party Transactions: "The Organization shares hosting and bandwidth costs with Wikia, Inc., a for-profit company founded by the same founder as Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. Included in accounts receivable at June 30, 2007 is $6,000 due from Wikia, Inc. for these costs. The Organization received some donated office space from Wikia Inc. during the year ended June 30, 2006 valued at $6,000. No donation of the office space occurred in 2007. Through June 30, 2007, two members of the Organization’s board of directors also serve as employees, officers, or directors of Wikia, Inc."A Wikipedia template that tried to show separation of the two organizations met with almost historic opposition.According to Wikipedia in February 2008, "Wikia allows a broad range of requests to start a new Wikicity. With the exception of ideas which might compete with the [[Wikimedia Project]]". A point first noted on the "Wikia" article in 2005, and which has remained unchallenged in the article ever since.
* dynamic list based on future claims and queries
Fri 8th February 2008, 3:25pm
Joined: Thu 1st Feb 2007, 10:21pm
Member No.: 911
The WMF audit
Note E - Related Party Transactions
The Organization shares hosting and bandwidth costs with
Wikia, Inc., a for-profit company founded by the same
founder as Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. Included in accounts
receivable at June 30, 2007 is $6,000 due from Wikia, Inc.
for these costs. The Organization received some donated
office space from Wikia Inc. during the year ended June 30,
2006 valued at $6,000. No donation of the office space
occurred in 2007.
Through June 30, 2007, two members of the Organization’s
board of directors also serve as employees, officers, or
directors of Wikia, Inc.
Posts in this topic
Kato 50 Ways that connect Wikia/Wikimedia Wed 6th February 2008, 1:42am Robster No numbers, just questions:
Doesn't Wikia hos... Wed 6th February 2008, 1:46am Castle Rock Didn't Michael Davis, a past business partner ... Wed 6th February 2008, 1:49am Derktar http://www.wikia.com/wiki/About_Wikia
Promotion ... Wed 6th February 2008, 2:06am Achromatic
Didn't Michael Davis, a past business partner... Wed 6th February 2008, 6:22am thekohser First off, the title of this thread is confusing. ... Wed 6th February 2008, 8:26am Kato
First off, the title of this thread is confusing.... Wed 6th February 2008, 8:27am Moulton There are over 150,000 external links from English... Wed 6th February 2008, 3:02pm GlassBeadGame
There are over 150,000 external links from Englis... Wed 6th February 2008, 3:09pm anthony I don't think any of these are current, but...... Wed 6th February 2008, 11:12pm thekohser
I don't think any of these are current, but..... Thu 7th February 2008, 6:51pm anthony
I don't think any of these are current, but.... Sun 10th February 2008, 6:26pm thekohser I think I have two more for the list.
* Wikia... Thu 7th February 2008, 12:17am Jonny Cache Tool for checking links between domains:
http://w... Thu 7th February 2008, 9:45am thekohser
Tool for checking links between domains:
http://... Thu 7th February 2008, 6:03pm thekohser * Google is so convinced that someone typing ... Thu 7th February 2008, 10:19pm thekohser You might want to hyperlink List Item # 13 to this... Sat 9th February 2008, 9:57pm badlydrawnjeff Be careful with a list like this, though: That Ji... Sun 10th February 2008, 4:27pm anthony Jason Richey, (former?) employee of Bomis, (former... Sun 10th February 2008, 7:07pm anthony Lisa Carter, administrator, former arbitrator, com... Sun 10th February 2008, 8:00pm Kato Can someone provide a summary for the above points... Tue 12th February 2008, 5:09am thekohser For the historical record, the "Wikia is not ... Wed 13th February 2008, 5:21am Robert Roberts
For the historical record, the "Wikia is not... Wed 13th February 2008, 11:58am Error59 Another (word for word from the Wikipedia article)... Wed 13th February 2008, 12:32pm thekohser
Another (word for word from the Wikipedia article... Wed 13th February 2008, 1:48pm Error59
[quote name='Error59' post='78566' date='Wed 13th... Wed 13th February 2008, 2:43pm guy And they can't accept anything that might be c... Wed 13th February 2008, 3:02pm Kato The Wikimedia Foundation Form 990 for fiscal year ... Sat 17th May 2008, 2:19am thekohser So Jimbo, Angela, and Michael never owned more tha... Sat 17th May 2008, 3:04am
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)