FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Statement from Jimbo re. Bauder/Forrester -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Statement from Jimbo re. Bauder/Forrester, From around Jan. 2006 ArbCom Elections
C H

Group: Contributors

I recall Jimbo saying that any arbcom election process that failed to elect James Forrester or Fred Bauder was broken. It was around the time of the January 2006 election, where James and Fred had seemingly failed in their reelection bids. Shortly thereafter, Jimbo expanded the arbcom by 3 members, adding Forrester, Bauder and JayJG. Can anyone help me find the quote? It was either on-wiki or on the mailing list.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
CrazyGameOfPoker

Group: Regulars

Taking a look:

This is probably what you remember

It's at the end, and it seems like it was on IRC, not on wikien-l or hidden away in the archives.

Some other Jimbo stuff I found amusing as I dug around...

Tell that to Majorly

Slaps Tony around

Admits the way the '05-'06 election sucked
+Quote Post
Rootology

Fat Cat

So, Jimbo created new seats to ensure Fred, James, and Jayjg were kept on the Arbcom, gaming the process to favor his friends.

Question, then: who has actually WON a legitimate re-election to the AC, if ever?
+Quote Post
CrazyGameOfPoker

Let me take a look. It's worth noting that at least up until the 2006 elections (I'll need to double check 2007 again), that the results weren't "official", just a guideline for Jimmy to choose. In that sense it's impossible to actually win an election, as the actual decision was not the community's to make.

EDIT:

Lets see:

Of former arbitrators that were successfully elected again without expansion:

Raul did, actually, though the standards were radically different (The highest % was Theresa Knott with 51%). (He had won a special election in July)

UC won election in 2007...however it's debatable to say he was re-elected, as he was hand-picked for the original ArbCom.

Really shocking, I never actually thought about that.

This post has been edited by CrazyGameOfPoker:
+Quote Post
CrazyGameOfPoker

Some more notes:

July 2004:

A special election is held in order to fill 2 empty spots left by UninvitedCompany and Erik Moeller. Raul and Jwrosenzweig are chosen. On a side note, it's funny to see that there's no mention of Moeller's original terms on the history chart Arbcom provides.

December 2004:

7 seats were available. 3 of the arbitrators (JamesF, Raul, and Cunctuator) ran for re-election (of the other 4, 1 had his term expire, and 3 stepped down). Of the 3, only 1 passed re-election (Raul). James F and Cunctuator finished 11th and 16th in voting respectively.

July 2005:

This is the first real time where Jimbo starts going against the community consensus in the previous elections.

Delirium resigned and was replaced with Fennec. This follows in line, as Fennec had finished 8th in the voting. (This is a bit against Jimbo's email, but it works)

Ambi/Rebecca resigns, and is replaced with JamesF. I'm not too sure why the next 2 slots were skipped, as both were active editors.

Grunt resigned and was replaced by Jayjg. This is the first of the appointments that would be best described as "Gerald Ford"-ish.

Lir confronts Jimbo on these appointments (for those unaware Lir is not Lar). Everyking chimes in, and well...it's about as blunt as I've ever seen Jimmy.

September 2005:

Maveric149 resigned and replaced with Kat Walsh.

Nohat was resigned and replaced with Kelly Martin.

I can't seem to track down the announcements in any of the usual places...doesn't seem to be anything on wikien-l, and I can't seem to find anything on Jimbo's talkpage about it.

Late 2005/Early 2006:

In addition to those 5, Sannsae and Kelly Martin resigned, however no replacements were made until the January 2006 elections.

January 2006:

8 spots were available. The three July replacement terms were expired, as well as Kat Walsh's. The terms of Fred Bauder and David Gerard ended, and there were the 2 vacant spots by Kelly Martin and Sannsae. Of the 6 possible arbitrators seeking reappointment, 5 do, with the exception of David Gerard. (In addition Kelly Martin runs)

Of those 5, 4 are re-selected to be Arbitrators. Fennec is unsucessful in his bid, however the 3 of the other arbitrators do not finish within the top 8 (JamesF is 9th, Bauder is 12th, and Jayjg is 15th) but are appointed. The lone success is Kat Walsh who finished 2nd. (One also wonders how jpgordon feels, as he was the first skip for the new slots)

February 2006

Mackensen resigns. His position is not filled, despite occuring almost right after he was elected.

December 2006

Kat Walsh resigns after being elected to the WMF Board of Trustees.

The next elections are held. 7 spots are for election. 4 involve sitting arbitrators (The Epopt, Jayjg, Theresa knott, and Sam Korn), 2 are for seats vacated by Kat Walsh and Mackensen. The last spot is for Filiocht who had been on indefinite leave for almost his entire term.

All of the sitting arbitrators do not seek re-election.

UninvitedCompany is elected and appointed, the first arbitrator emeritus to be reappointed by election.

February 2007

Dmcdevit resigns. He is replaced by Mackensen. In the 2nd case of court packing, Essjay is selected to a new spot. He is sure to last until his term expires during the next election.

March 2007

Essjay resigns. His spot is not refilled. Ever.

December 2007

Election time again. 5 spots were open all of them term expirations. There was no election to replace Essjay's spot. Of the 5 sitting arbitrators, 4 do not seek re-election(SimonP, Mackensen, Neutrality, and Fred Bauder). Of the 1 that does, Raul is not re-elected.

In addition a bit of trickery is played, as FloNight is shifted into Flcelloguy's old seat (who had been inactive for the majority of his term), and thebainer replaces her old slot.

Final tallies:

8 sitting arbitrators have run for re-appointment. Raul has done so twice.

Of the 8, 2 were never appointed again; 1 was re-appointed (and elected for the first time); 1 was re-elected and appointed; 1 was re-appointed by fiat; and the other 3 were chosen by fiat to fill new spots. In addition, Raul was also rejected during his 3rd election.

With the exception of the first half of 2005, James F has been on the Arbitration Committee since it's inception. It's also worth noting, that he has never won re-election, and has been appointed 3 times by Jimmy Wales by fiat.

Three arbitrators emeritus have attempted to seek re-appointment via election after their orignal terms ended. UninvitedCompany was the only successful one; twice Kelly Martin and Rebecca failed to be reappointed.

This post has been edited by CrazyGameOfPoker:
+Quote Post
maiawatatos

Blathererer

I think the main conclusion I end up drawing from this is that there are probably too many arbitrators, but the problem of inactivity precludes having a smaller arbcom.

Also the fairly circular process whereby JW appoints arbcom and arbcom theoretically can sanction him. It's almost like the curious relationship Charles I had with parliament.
+Quote Post
Alex

Back from the dead

QUOTE(CrazyGameOfPoker @ Tue 2nd September 2008, 7:35pm) *

Long history of arbcom............

That's very interesting reading. Thank you for that.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(maiawatatos @ Tue 2nd September 2008, 12:15pm) *

Also the fairly circular process whereby JW appoints arbcom and arbcom theoretically can sanction him. It's almost like the curious relationship Charles I had with parliament.

Let us hope it ends up in the same way.
+Quote Post
maiawatatos

Blathererer

Well, that was fairly implicit in what I was trying to say (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Rootology

Fat Cat

I think the main conclusion I end up drawing from this is that there are probably too many arbitrators, but the problem of inactivity precludes having a smaller arbcom.

So honestly, what would happen if Jimmy did something Very Bad with or in regards to his en.wiki account, that led to someone processing a request against him? Would James F have to recuse, if he were still sitting? Would Jimmy be subject to sanction (not joking--I'm being serious)?
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

QUOTE(maiawatatos @ Tue 2nd September 2008, 12:33pm) *

Well, that was fairly implicit in what I was trying to say (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/biggrin.gif)

Yeah, sorry. It's the child at the cocktail party syndrome. Strikes the best of us. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
maiawatatos

Blathererer

QUOTE(Rootology @ Tue 2nd September 2008, 8:34pm) *

So honestly, what would happen if Jimmy did something Very Bad with or in regards to his en.wiki account, that led to someone processing a request against him? Would James F have to recuse, if he were still sitting? Would Jimmy be subject to sanction (not joking--I'm being serious)?

The words 'constitutional' and 'crisis' spring to mind. I believe he specifically said he would defer to arbcom some time ago, but re-iterated recently that he has the power to dissolve arbcom.

To continue the parallel, this is exactly what Charles I did repeatedly, and theoretically the monarch of the UK still could (and does at the request of the PM before every election). I can't imagine what would happen if she ever did it off her own bat, but I think it would be safe to say that there would be no more monarch within a fairly short period of time.
+Quote Post
Vicky

QUOTE(Milton" Roe @ Tue 2nd September 2008, 8:29pm) *

No, let's hope it doesn't. Charles I, a fairly harmless God-king, was replaced by Oliver Cromwell, a brutal dictator. Does anyone seriously want say Dmcdevit as dictator?

+Quote Post
maiawatatos

Blathererer

QUOTE(Taxwoman @ Tue 2nd September 2008, 8:52pm) *

Charles I, a fairly harmless God-king

*Cough* star chamber *cough*

Neither of them were great, but for different reasons.
+Quote Post
CrazyGameOfPoker

Actually, can someone check something for me?

I can't for the life of me find the official announcement where Jimbo instates Kelly Martin and Kat Walsh as arbitrators.

I know Raul adds them to the ArbCom page on October 11th, 2005, but I can't actually find anything from Jimbo regarding it in his contribution history, or more traditionally on wikien-l. I can't recall an ArbCom appointment without some sort of Jimbo announcement, so there's something I'm missing.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

QUOTE(Taxwoman @ Tue 2nd September 2008, 12:52pm) *

No, let's hope it doesn't. Charles I, a fairly harmless God-king, was replaced by Oliver Cromwell, a brutal dictator. Does anyone seriously want say Dmcdevit as dictator?

Yes, in government it's certainly true to the point of being a truism that the danger of most revolutions is not in their failure, but in their success, since the power-vacuum which results quite often leads to a sorting-out period ruled by a brutal dictator or two at worst, or a clueless buffoon or two, at best. We tend to forget this in the US, since our own revolution was one of the few where that didn't happen.

In the case of WP, all this might actually be good for WP, speeding up the decay in the mechanism, which is necessary to cause it to collapse to the point that something better arises. Always remembering that the information in the articles is safe, no matter what happens. And given that this being true, there's limited damage a Jimbo-but-worse could do. I mean, he's not going to go up and invade Ireland or something. It's just an encyclopedia, and the content of it, is backed up.

+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

Bring back the guttersnipes!

Member No.: 6,696

QUOTE(CrazyGameOfPoker @ Tue 2nd September 2008, 6:32pm) *
I can't for the life of me find the official announcement where Jimbo instates Kelly Martin and Kat Walsh as arbitrators.
I checked through my email and found my letter to Jimbo on October 4th asking him to indicate whether or not he was going to appoint me, since he had told me over a week before he was going to and it hadn't happened yet.

I don't have a reply from Jimbo that I can find; he probably found me on IRC or something. The announcement was a week later on wikien-l. Took me a while to find this. It was "announced" (more or less) on the wiki by Ral315.
+Quote Post
Pumpkin Muffins

Ãœber Member

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Tue 2nd September 2008, 6:12pm) *

QUOTE(CrazyGameOfPoker @ Tue 2nd September 2008, 6:32pm) *
I checked through my email and found my letter to Jimbo on October 4th asking him to indicate whether or not he was going to appoint me, since he had told me over a week before he was going to and it hadn't happened yet.

I don't have a reply from Jimbo that I can find; he probably found me on IRC or something. The announcement was a week later on wikien-l. Took me a while to find this. It was "announced" (more or less) on the wiki by Ral315.

from that same email, Jimbo says;
I'm also appointing JamesF as the Chief Research Officer. He's fantabulous of course.

I am speechless.
+Quote Post
CrazyGameOfPoker

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Tue 2nd September 2008, 9:12pm) *

Thanks. I knew I had been missing something obvious. I must've overlooked it when I was looking at it earlier.
+Quote Post
Rootology

Fat Cat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:The_Roy...tstrap_meet.jpg
(IMG:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/31/The_Royal_Oak_bootstrap_meet.jpg/800px-The_Royal_Oak_bootstrap_meet.jpg)

More photos on Arkaday's site:

http://arkady.fotopic.net/c777773.html
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)