+Quote Post
Kelly Martin
post Sun 7th December 2008, 9:01pm
Post #204

Bring back the guttersnipes!

Group: Regulars
Member No.: 6,696

QUOTE(The Wales Hunter @ Sun 7th December 2008, 2:53pm) *
That didn't take long. I couldn't bring myself to vote on every candidate; some of them just aren't interesting enough.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
The Wales Hunter
post Sun 7th December 2008, 9:03pm
Post #205

Hackenslasher

Member No.: 4,319

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Sun 7th December 2008, 9:01pm) *

That didn't take long. I couldn't bring myself to vote on every candidate; some of them just aren't interesting enough.

I enjoyed the ones along the lines of "Support: Should be ineffectual".

+Quote Post
Milton Roe
post Sun 7th December 2008, 9:03pm
Post #206

Known alias of J. Random Troll

Member No.: 5,156

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(The Wales Hunter @ Sun 7th December 2008, 1:53pm) *

Clicking each diff.... That is (taken as a whole) the most cynical and sarcastic set of votes I've ever seen. ohmy.gif

My... goodness. blink.gif smile.gif
+Quote Post
Kelly Martin
post Sun 7th December 2008, 9:53pm
Post #207

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Sun 7th December 2008, 3:03pm) *
Clicking each diff.... That is (taken as a whole) the most cynical and sarcastic set of votes I've ever seen. ohmy.gif

And I've already been threatened with a block for "gross personal attacks" by that holy defender of virtue, TenOfAllTrades. So much for "assuming good faith", eh? Only took him 56 minutes.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe
post Sun 7th December 2008, 10:35pm
Post #208

Known alias of J. Random Troll

Member No.: 5,156

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Sun 7th December 2008, 2:53pm) *

And I've already been threatened with a block for "gross personal attacks" by that holy defender of virtue, TenOfAllTrades. So much for "assuming good faith", eh? Only took him 56 minutes.

Must be a faithful reader here.
+Quote Post
Kelly Martin
post Mon 8th December 2008, 3:20am
Post #209

Oh, and jd2718 has suggested that an "edits within the past year" requirement should have been included -- about two hours after I cast my votes.
+Quote Post
One
post Mon 8th December 2008, 3:29am
Post #210

Postmaster General

Group: Contributors
Member No.: 4,284

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Mon 8th December 2008, 3:20am) *

Oh, and jd2718 has suggested that an "edits within the past year" requirement should have been included -- about two hours after I cast my votes.

It's not all you. There have been similar proposals due to apparent ethnic block voting.
+Quote Post
Kato
post Mon 8th December 2008, 3:40am
Post #211

dhd

Member No.: 767

User:iridescent writes:

QUOTE(iridescent)
The usual suspects at WR had some kind of Grand Master Plan where they'd all switch their votes around midway through the elections. I can't quite remember what, if anything, it was supposed to achieve, but it may be something to do with that. Or it may not. – iridescent 00:57, 8 December 2008 (UTC)

What's this? Did I miss a meeting of "the usual suspects"? Either that or iridescent has an overeager imagination. Any explanations for this crazy talk?
+Quote Post
everyking
post Mon 8th December 2008, 5:18am
Post #212

Postmaster

Member No.: 81

QUOTE(Kato @ Mon 8th December 2008, 4:40am) *

QUOTE(iridescent)
The usual suspects at WR had some kind of Grand Master Plan where they'd all switch their votes around midway through the elections. I can't quite remember what, if anything, it was supposed to achieve, but it may be something to do with that. Or it may not. – iridescent 00:57, 8 December 2008 (UTC)

What's this? Did I miss a meeting of "the usual suspects"? Either that or iridescent has an overeager imagination. Any explanations for this crazy talk?

I can't imagine how anyone could believe we're so coordinated and disciplined. I mean, is there any set of two users here who would agree on all the candidates, let alone agree to act in coordination as part of some strange vote-switching exercise?
+Quote Post
everyking
post Mon 8th December 2008, 5:29am
Post #213

Postmaster

Member No.: 81

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Sun 7th December 2008, 10:53pm) *

I wouldn't block you for it, but I would strike out votes if they were clearly intended to be sarcastic and insincere, supporting people because you dislike them and opposing people because you like them. I also agree that users with no (other) edits in the calendar year of the election should not be allowed to vote.
+Quote Post
One
post Mon 8th December 2008, 2:25pm
Post #214

Postmaster General

Member No.: 4,284

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(everyking @ Mon 8th December 2008, 5:29am) *

I wouldn't block you for it, but I would strike out votes if they were clearly intended to be sarcastic and insincere, supporting people because you dislike them and opposing people because you like them. ...

Well, she does imply it's for my own good.

Incidentally, if anyone here was contemplating some last-minute vote switching with the aim of creating drama, please don't do it on my putative behalf. I would like to win (or lose) this election fairly.
+Quote Post
The Wales Hunter
post Mon 8th December 2008, 2:35pm
Post #215

Hackenslasher

Member No.: 4,319

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(Kato @ Mon 8th December 2008, 3:40am) *

QUOTE(iridescent)

I made a comment about it somewhere, but I was basing it on Wikipedia talk page comments. I assume it's tongue-in-cheek, as iridescent is a regular here.
+Quote Post
Eva Destruction
post Mon 8th December 2008, 5:01pm
Post #216

Fat Cat

Member No.: 3,301

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(The Wales Hunter @ Mon 8th December 2008, 2:35pm) *

QUOTE(Kato @ Mon 8th December 2008, 3:40am) *

QUOTE(iridescent)

I made a comment about it somewhere, but I was basing it on Wikipedia talk page comments. I assume it's tongue-in-cheek, as iridescent is a regular here.

(waves) I'd hope noone would take my comment seriously. I've yet to see most people here agree on, well, anything. Even if WR did wield a block vote, it's hardly going to be big enough to sway the election. Nor is who wins really going to make much difference to anything.
+Quote Post
Lar
post Mon 8th December 2008, 5:07pm
Post #217

"His blandness goes to 11!"

Member No.: 4,290

QUOTE(Eva Destruction @ Mon 8th December 2008, 12:01pm) *

(waves) I'd hope noone would take my comment seriously. I've yet to see most people here agree on, well, anything. Even if WR did wield a block vote, it's hardly going to be big enough to sway the election. Nor is who wins really going to make much difference to anything.

If everyone here agreed on everything, it would save a lot of time. smile.gif

Apropos of that, I have to disagree with you when you say " Nor is who wins really going to make much difference to anything." ... gosh I hope you're wrong.
+Quote Post
Eva Destruction
post Mon 8th December 2008, 5:11pm
Post #218

Fat Cat

Member No.: 3,301

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(Lar @ Mon 8th December 2008, 5:07pm) *

Apropos of that, I have to disagree with you when you say " Nor is who wins really going to make much difference to anything." ... gosh I hope you're wrong.

To be more accurate, "who wins among the candidates with a chance of winning won't make much difference". An Arbcom including Kurt, White Cat, Privatemusings, TFMWNCB and Gwen Gale would obviously make a difference; whether it's WBJScribe or Jayvdb, less so.

This post has been edited by Eva Destruction: Mon 8th December 2008, 5:11pm
+Quote Post
Hemlock Martinis
post Mon 8th December 2008, 7:55pm
Post #219

Neophyte

Member No.: 9,129

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Sun 7th December 2008, 1:01pm) *

I guess I'll make lemons from lemonade and just be glad you didn't think I'd be ineffectual, just dramatic. biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
Anonymous editor
post Thu 11th December 2008, 6:49am
Post #220

Über Member

Member No.: 7,398

CHL just edged Rlevse for fourth place. The excitement builds!
+Quote Post
Kato
post Thu 11th December 2008, 7:16am
Post #221

dhd

Member No.: 767

I noticed something on the talk page of Rlevse's election page:

QUOTE(AGK)
I have recused myself for voting for Rlevse due almost fully to my extensive prior involvement with him. We converse frequently on ArbCom Clerking and administrator matters, and I would probably agree that he is as much a friend as a colleague. (Offering my support to him, therefore, could be easily coloured as cronyism, which would reflect poorly on his candidacy as well as on me.) I do wish to note for the record my agreement with what seems to be the consensus of a sizable majority of the community: Rlevse would make a very good Arbitrator, and is an excellent choice this election. Good luck, Rlevse. AGK 20:39, 1 December 2008 (UTC)

It really struck me how rare this kind of self-aware, honorable behavior was on Wikipedia. Which is rather like that discussion I had with Brad about the conspicuous lack of resignations that go on among the power seekers at WP compared to the real world. So if David Gerard screws up and bans half of Utah by mistake, he carries on with impunity and without apology. Meanwhile, the dysfunctional community takes any opportunity to pile on and indulge in the most naked display of cronyism since the days of the Medicis in Florence. So I just thought that stance by AGK showed an uncharacteristic flourish of class for a Wikipedian.
+Quote Post
Sarcasticidealist
post Thu 11th December 2008, 7:19am
Post #222

Head exploded.

Member No.: 4,536

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

Out of curiosity, would you consider AGK's "recusal" necessary of this was a secret ballot? I don't disagree with your criticisms of the lack of accountability for fuckups at Wikipedia, but I've never seen it suggested that you should recuse yourself from elections if a friend's running. If AGK's personal ethical code demands it, then power to him for doing it, but I don't think it was necessary.
+Quote Post

19 Pages V « < 10 11 12 13 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th 11 14, 1:20am