The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

13 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Israel/Palestine ArbCom case, Jayjg is one of the parties? No way!
Rating  3
Cla68
post Sun 3rd May 2009, 1:42pm
Post #98

Postmaster

Group: Regulars
Member No.: 5,761

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Sun 3rd May 2009, 12:29pm) *

I am concerned about the obligatory show of "even-handedness," in that the findings of fact against G-Dett are very weakly supported by the evidence (particularly when compared to those against Jayjg,) yet the penalties proposed are equivalent (except that G-Dett cannot be deprived of checkuser, oversight, etc., since she doesn't possess these gnarly powers.) Jayjg's recidivism ought to be sufficient grounds for a permanent, unqualified banning from the project.

The thing is, G-Dett is more intelligent than 99% of regular Wikipedia editors, including myself. I don't know why she is wasting time with editing Wikipedia and humiliating Jayjg when she should be writing books, which I, for one, would be buying and reading. Banning her from the I/P articles does her a favor. If she wants to make any other subject's articles great, she should be able to do so effortlessly.

Banning editors like Jayjg, on the other hand, from the I/P articles should be no big deal. He doesn't deserve to edit them. He's a POV-pusher and an unethical internet participant. Ban him, forget about him, and let's get back to doing what we like to do, building NPOV (we try to anyway) articles about historical subjects that we find interesting.

This post has been edited by Cla68: Sun 3rd May 2009, 1:45pm
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
The Adversary
post Sun 3rd May 2009, 2:50pm
Post #99

CT (Check Troll)

Member No.: 194

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Sun 3rd May 2009, 1:42pm) *

QUOTE(Herschelkrustofsky @ Sun 3rd May 2009, 12:29pm) *

I am concerned about the obligatory show of "even-handedness," in that the findings of fact against G-Dett are very weakly supported by the evidence (particularly when compared to those against Jayjg,) yet the penalties proposed are equivalent (except that G-Dett cannot be deprived of checkuser, oversight, etc., since she doesn't possess these gnarly powers.) Jayjg's recidivism ought to be sufficient grounds for a permanent, unqualified banning from the project.

The thing is, G-Dett is more intelligent than 99% of regular Wikipedia editors, including myself. I don't know why she is wasting time with editing Wikipedia and humiliating Jayjg when she should be writing books, which I, for one, would be buying and reading. <snip>

I´ll join the queue for those wanting to buy any book written by G-Dett.

My own favourite G-Dett-ism was during the Matanmoreland-case, when she wondered if there was any sense in her providing more evidence, or if she could rather spend her time baking bread ......for her cat laugh.gif
+Quote Post
Kato
post Sun 3rd May 2009, 3:03pm
Post #100

dhd

Member No.: 767

Arbitrators need to be careful when they restrict the likes of Jayjg. Having seen the Godfather style trail of revenge against those who challenged SlimVirgin last year (FT2, Lar, Charles Matthews etc), it is conceivable that a similar fate will await those arbs who vote against Jayjg.

Wily nested troublemakers can call on a flock of disciples to do the dirty work, while they themselves remove their fingerprints from the scene of the crime when the drama subsides.

Wikipedia has shown it is helpless in the face of such social manipulation and gameplaying. Expect a coordinated chorus of resistance to any restraints on Jayjg, followed by a covert operation of revenge against those who made the effort.
+Quote Post
trenton
post Sun 3rd May 2009, 4:00pm
Post #101

Group: Contributors
Member No.: 8,237

Yeah, the remedies are kinda bizarre. One side wants to introduce and use novel terminology and both side get banned. That's like banning vandals and those who revert them for "revert warring". Besides, on one side, you have an esteemed "functionary", so can you blame others for following his example? Kangaroo justice, indeed.

edit: not to mention that most of these people are first time arbcom participants, while this is Jayjg's 6th? time....

This post has been edited by trenton: Sun 3rd May 2009, 4:10pm
+Quote Post
Heat
post Sun 3rd May 2009, 7:23pm
Post #102

Tenured

Member No.: 1,066

Ironic statement of the year:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...oldid=287681189

I would add to that, if this passes, get ready for some extra stress on the checkuser process... and for a general decrease in "trust" (in an area where trust is already difficult to come by), because checkuser cannot always produce a solid conclusion. If such a large number of active editors are banned from this large topic area, I predict that every "new" editor who shows up in this area will be suspected, by someone, of being a sockpuppet of one of the banned users. And quite possibly, some will be, but most won't be. It won't matter. The opportunities for neo-[[McCarthyism|McCarthyist]] hysteria on Wikipedia are mind-boggling. People will be seeing sockpuppets under every bed and around every corner. [[User:6SJ7|6SJ7]] ([[User talk:6SJ7|talk]]) 18:17, 3 May 2009 (UTC)-

So 6SJ7 is warning that the consequence of Jay and others being sanctioned is a Mcarthyist witch hunt using CheckUser? I'm amazed 6SJ7 could say this without the least hint of irony given that that's exactly how Jayjg has been using Checkuser for years.

And do I read a suggestion there that Jayjg might sockpuppet to evade his topic ban?
+Quote Post
Cla68
post Mon 4th May 2009, 12:55am
Post #103

Postmaster

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(trenton @ Sun 3rd May 2009, 4:00pm) *

Yeah, the remedies are kinda bizarre. One side wants to introduce and use novel terminology and both side get banned. That's like banning vandals and those who revert them for "revert warring". Besides, on one side, you have an esteemed "functionary", so can you blame others for following his example? Kangaroo justice, indeed.

edit: not to mention that most of these people are first time arbcom participants, while this is Jayjg's 6th? time....

Well, if they hadn't edit warred they would probably be ok. I think the "Palestinian side" like MeteorMaker and Nishidani are a little stunned that they won the argument, but ended up topic-banned along with the "Pro-Israel" editors. Perhaps one lesson for interested observers to take from this is that edit warring will not be looked upon nicely by this committee.

This post has been edited by Cla68: Mon 4th May 2009, 12:56am
+Quote Post
Herschelkrustofsky
post Mon 4th May 2009, 2:46am
Post #104

Group: Members
Member No.: 130

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Sun 3rd May 2009, 5:55pm) *

Well, if they hadn't edit warred they would probably be ok. I think the "Palestinian side" like MeteorMaker and Nishidani are a little stunned that they won the argument, but ended up topic-banned along with the "Pro-Israel" editors. Perhaps one lesson for interested observers to take from this is that edit warring will not be looked upon nicely by this committee.

I haven't taken the time to review their editing style (other than to note Nishi's poetic gifts.) But I fear the possibility that no one will stand up to died-in-the-wool POV pushers like Jayjg, for fear that the mere act of objecting will convict the objector of "edit warring."
+Quote Post
Tarc
post Mon 4th May 2009, 5:30am
Post #105

Fat Cat

Member No.: 5,309

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

Another gem;

Oppose Until I read this proposal I very much respected Kirill. As fellow member of the military history wikiproject I had had only positive interactions with him. Now I am sad to say that all of that respect has evaporated. This suggestion is inappropriate to the point of being offensive.- Moshe Constantine Hassan Al-Silverburg | Talk 03:46, 1 May 2009 (UTC)

The Jayjg-disciples act like a bunch of savages whose deity statue was just toppled off the pedestal and dragged through the mud.

This post has been edited by Tarc: Mon 4th May 2009, 5:30am
+Quote Post
pedrito
post Wed 6th May 2009, 11:21am
Post #106

Neophyte

Member No.: 4,042

And while this is going on... Tiamut left in disgust as the usual gang of anti-Palestinian editors piled-on to sabotage a WP:GA and WP:DYN she was working on.

I mourn this loss.

Cheers, Pedrito
+Quote Post
Heat
post Wed 6th May 2009, 11:46am
Post #107

Tenured

Member No.: 1,066

And our old friend SlimVirgin is in the middle of it http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=...&action=history though since she's conducting dozens of tiny edits rather than doing a major edit at once it's hard to follow. Is she actually warring with Jaakobou?

This post has been edited by Heat: Wed 6th May 2009, 11:49am
+Quote Post
trenton
post Wed 6th May 2009, 2:43pm
Post #108

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Sun 3rd May 2009, 7:55pm) *

Yes, but what exactly do you do if you don't edit war? The other side will have the article the way it wants, and they can talk indefinitely. Try to find consensus? They have a large enough group of editors so that you won't find consensus that the earth is not flat. Take it to arbcom? They'll reject the case because everybody's talking and there's no edit warring. Is it any wonder that some people snap and act rude and edit war?
+Quote Post
pedrito
post Wed 6th May 2009, 3:00pm
Post #109

Neophyte

Member No.: 4,042

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Mon 4th May 2009, 2:55am) *

Have they really "won the argument"? There are no findings regarding [[WP:NCGN]] or stone-walling, so there's been nothing won by everybody getting banned.

Cheers, Pedrito
+Quote Post
UseOnceAndDestroy
post Wed 6th May 2009, 3:40pm
Post #110

Über Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 4,073

QUOTE(trenton @ Wed 6th May 2009, 3:43pm) *

Yes, but what exactly do you do if you don't edit war? The other side will have the article the way it wants, and they can talk indefinitely. Try to find consensus? They have a large enough group of editors so that you won't find consensus that the earth is not flat. Take it to arbcom? They'll reject the case because everybody's talking and there's no edit warring. Is it any wonder that some people snap and act rude and edit war?

Uh-huh - that's exactly the process that wikipedia encourages, in the absence of named expert authority with a final say on content.
+Quote Post
gomi
post Wed 6th May 2009, 5:11pm
Post #111

Member No.: 565

QUOTE(UseOnceAndDestroy @ Wed 6th May 2009, 8:40am) *
QUOTE(trenton @ Wed 6th May 2009, 3:43pm) *
Yes, but what exactly do you do if you don't edit war? The other side ... can talk indefinitely. Try to find consensus? ... You won't find consensus that the earth is not flat.
Uh-huh - that's exactly the process that wikipedia encourages, in the absence of named expert authority with a final say on content.

More accurately, a systematic lack of authorities, and ways to identify them, combined with an elevation of amateurs to an equal status with experts, and then a lack of process by which even learned people can reach and protect a consensus from eroding.

As has been said before: "Wikipedia is a system that ensures that twenty idiots and one expert are indistinguishable from twenty-one idiots". It's a crude, infantile parody of an academic peer-review system, with results similar to what you would get if you gave a pound of flour, some eggs, milk, and oil to a toddler and told them to make pancakes.
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame
post Wed 6th May 2009, 5:55pm
Post #112

Dharma Bum

From: My name it means nothing. My age it means less. The country I come from is called the Mid-West.
Member No.: 981

QUOTE(gomi @ Wed 6th May 2009, 11:11am) *

As has been said before: "Wikipedia is a system that ensures that twenty idiots and one expert are indistinguishable from twenty-one idiots".

This is a brilliant aphorism and is completely true in relation to any outside observer. It does leave out the subjective experience of the one expert, who can of course tell the difference. This accounts for much of heartbreak of Wikipedia.
+Quote Post
Jon Awbrey
post Wed 6th May 2009, 6:06pm
Post #113

τὰ δέ μοι παθήματα μαθήματα γέγονε

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 5,619

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Wed 6th May 2009, 1:55pm) *

QUOTE(gomi @ Wed 6th May 2009, 11:11am) *

As has been said before: "Wikipedia is a system that ensures that twenty idiots and one expert are indistinguishable from twenty-one idiots".

This is a brilliant aphorism and is completely true in relation to any outside observer. It does leave out the subjective experience of the one expert, who can of course tell the difference. This accounts for much of heartbreak of Wikipedia.

If you keep in mind the adage about wine and sewage, I think you will find that it's more like this:

"Wikipedia is a system that ensures that twenty experts and one idiot are indistinguishable from twenty-one idiots"

Ja Ja boing.gif
+Quote Post
No one of consequence
post Wed 6th May 2009, 6:31pm
Post #114

I want to stare at the seaside and do nothing at all

Member No.: 1,010

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(Jon Awbrey @ Wed 6th May 2009, 6:06pm) *

If you keep in mind the adage about wine and sewage, I think you will find that it's more like this:

"Wikipedia is a system that ensures that twenty experts and one idiot are indistinguishable from twenty-one idiots"

Ja Ja boing.gif

Does Wikipedia even have twenty experts?
+Quote Post
The Joy
post Wed 6th May 2009, 6:52pm
Post #115

I am a millipede! I am amazing!

Member No.: 982

QUOTE(No one of consequence @ Wed 6th May 2009, 2:31pm) *

Ja Ja boing.gif

If it does, they are all banned, I imagine. dry.gif
+Quote Post
trenton
post Wed 6th May 2009, 10:29pm
Post #116

QUOTE(The Joy @ Wed 6th May 2009, 1:52pm) *
QUOTE(No one of consequence @ Wed 6th May 2009, 2:31pm) *

Ja Ja boing.gif
If it does, they are all banned, I imagine. dry.gif

They did have this one theology professor, though....
+Quote Post
Cla68
post Thu 7th May 2009, 12:33am
Post #117

Postmaster

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(pedrito @ Wed 6th May 2009, 3:00pm) *

QUOTE(Cla68 @ Mon 4th May 2009, 2:55am) *

Have they really "won the argument"? There are no findings regarding [[WP:NCGN]] or stone-walling, so there's been nothing won by everybody getting banned.

Cheers, Pedrito

As far as ArbCom is concerned, you're right, they are not stating implicitly or explicitly that you won the argument.

QUOTE(trenton @ Wed 6th May 2009, 2:43pm) *

That's the nature of a wiki. Sometimes you can't win even if you're right. Edit warring is not the answer. I recently lost an argument here about mentioning the Nazis in the lead for the Martin Luther article. Me and several others don't believe that the Nazis should be mentioned in the intro. Unfortunately, there are enough editors opposing my view to keep me from declaring consensus and removing it. Me and the few editors that take my side could start edit warring, but that's against the rules. So, I/we lose. That's the wiki.

There are other ways I could address this, I could file an RfC (which I might do), go to one of the content noticeboards, or request mediation. One or all of those might work, or they might not. Anyway, that's the within-the-rules process. If I don't like it, I can leave. Or, I can secretly recruit a bunch of like-minded people to come and support me. That's against the rules. If I get caught doing that, however, I deserve to be banned. Catching people doing that is kind of difficult, isn't it? As you can see, Wikipedia has some glaring weaknesses.

This post has been edited by Cla68: Thu 7th May 2009, 12:38am
+Quote Post

13 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th 12 14, 8:29am