FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
Checkuser -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Checkuser, someone must have been telling lies about Joseph K.
Grep

Group: Contributors

So what are the commonalities between the following
  1. Delusional belief systems
  2. Sock puppets
  3. Cults
  4. CheckUser

What these have in common is that: the intellectual basis of the processes is never displayed in public; the relationship with reality is one of control rather than reflection; they exist solely to perpetuate existing structures.

Let me focus on Checkuser. This is a secret process, apparently capable of providing incontrovertible and absolute truth, but which is so fragile that it cannot be exposed to public scrutiny for fear that it will be irreparably damaged.

Let us clear away the minor issue that Checkuser does not, and cannot, provide absolute certainty. Full stop. But then, this is not its true purpose.

So what is it all about? It is a process which declares its victim in advance to be irrefutably guilty. In other words, it is a blatant exercise of the power of the system. The arbitrariness of the process is part of its intimidatory value. Users who believe in its veracity will be impressed by the power, authority and superior knowledge of the admins. Users who know full well that it cannot do what it claims will understand that it represents the exercise of arbitrary power. Some may believe that the system is capable of improvement or reform: this is a category error. It is already superbly adapted to its true function.

A clear indication of the intrinsically corrupt nature of the process can be seen in the number of sock-puppet blocks which follow a mere assertion of checkuser evidence. It is clear, and intended to be clear, that these are punishment blocks against users who happen to fall foul of influential and well-connected admins.

There's not a lot of point in trying to establish the intrinsically unreliable nature of the underlying technical process. To do that we would need to assemble a statistically adequate sample of the four categories: sock-puppets who were found out by CU; sock-puppets who were not found out by CU; non-socks who were falsely accused by CU and non-socks who were acquitted by CU. This is after all impossible -- and has certainly never been attempted by those who trumpet, and possibly even believe, the infallibility of CU.

So let's attack it from the other end. There are three levels to CheckUser abuse: overstating CU results; premature or improper CU cases; and outright mis-statement of CU results (or even non-results). The first is technically ; the second is easy to see from the record; the third has certainly happened.

Are there any particularly well-documented and egregious cases that anyone would like to share?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
LessHorrid vanU

Devils Advocaat

Group: Regulars

QUOTE(Grep @ Thu 23rd July 2009, 7:39pm) *

(stuff)

There's not a lot of point in trying to establish the intrinsically unreliable nature of the underlying technical process...

(stuff)

... when most of the sockpuppets are so bloody obvious, that every time they make the same stupid excuses, the same claims of outrage, the same attacks upon the pov of the reporter and CU, the same threats of a hundred hidden accounts all waiting to carry on the fight, the off wiki campaigns, the slew of emails to all concerned parties, there is less reason to believe them and the very few innocents that are caught up by CU's mistakes have virtually no means by which AGF might be extended and the case reviewed.

Placing the blame on CU culture is ignoring the responsibility of the sockpuppets and their masters and their inept efforts at avoiding the consequences of being found out.
+Quote Post
Cock-up-over-conspiracy

Now censored by flckr.com and who else ... ???

Group: Regulars

How much info does checkuser provide? I suspect IP, OS, Browser etc. Is it more or less?

I think one should be allowed to see/request one's own details as per under Data Protection Laws.

QUOTE(LessHorrid vanU @ Thu 23rd July 2009, 7:36pm) *
Placing the blame on CU culture is ignoring the responsibility of the sockpuppets and their masters and their inept efforts at avoiding the consequences of being found out.

Are you talking 'black hat' socks or 'white hat' socks (see above)?

I don't know. I have absolutely been accused and "Confirmed" of being other users/socks that I am absolutely not. Even ridiculously not if one was to take a second look.

Ditto, I have run some test using entirely different OSes, Browsers, networks and locations, and been "caught". I don't believe I was "caught" at all.
    How can we assure the poor guys don't just get sick of all the crap and just "ban everyone"?
    How can we remove the fatigue element and the 'pissed-off-ness-about-it-all-factor'?
    Do we know these if these guys are sober ... stoned ... sleep deprived ... 14 ... ADHD ... are "affected" (like the TV stations say) by the topic you are editing on ... or just don't plain like you and 'your' NPOV? The latter was my accusation of Rlevse right at the beginning.
Certainly, I have had "indefinite bans" handed out like free lollipops at a pedophiles' convention for either 'no good reason at all' or quite clearly 'strategic reasons'.

In fact, my first "indefinite ban" was just for that ... the choice of my first real user account. I was not "indefinitely banned" by any due process, merely the name was 'disallowed' by 'indefinitely banning' it because it was a real name.

Once my trolling opponents found it, which involved committed cult members and Pro-Korean activists, they were then able to keep piling others on top of it until it became ridiculous.

Checkuser, and senior admins, were quite willing to play along turning a blind eye to the history and instead "hammer a few gophers" and ladle on new accusations

I think that was when I lost respect for them.

This post has been edited by Cock-up-over-conspiracy:
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Grep   Checkuser  
Grep   Placing the blame on CU culture is ignoring the r...  
LessHorrid vanU   Placing the blame on CU culture is ignoring the ...  
Shalom   I defend the checkuser process. That rare abuses h...  
sbrown   The fact that Poetlister was guilty after all con...  
Kelly Martin   I think one should be allowed to see/request one...  
Cock-up-over-conspiracy   None of the data collected by checkuser is subject...  
sbrown   As Ive just said elsewhere, checkusers dont just u...  
thekohser   I'm confused. Isn't this the free encyclo...  
MBisanz   I'm confused. Isn't this the free encycl...  
Eva Destruction   I really wish we had picked better names for posi...  
A Horse With No Name   I'm confused. Isn't this the free encycl...  
Grep   Well, I see the CU process as something like this....  
Shalom   Well, I see the CU process as something like this...  
Newyorkbrad   To thekohser, I too have wondered about the legit...  
Shalom   [quote name='Shalom' post='185585' date='Thu 23rd...  
Grep   I think your analogy fails to account for the fac...  
Shalom   I think your analogy fails to account for the fa...  
Grep   Either you trust that the checkuser operators use...  
Cock-up-over-conspiracy   I have no problem with the notion that real people...  
Moulton   They need to build a system that filters abusers o...  
EricBarbour   I can't believe this Checkuser crap is still b...  
Kelly Martin   Grawp is still vandalizing, ya know---even after a...  
Milton Roe   Grawp is still vandalizing, ya know---even after ...  
carbuncle   On most websites, people pay little mind to the id...  
Grep   Can anyone point to an independent up-to-date scie...  
Grep   I wonder how many CU results are simply made up: e...  
No one of consequence   I wonder how many CU results are simply made up: ...  
Sarcasticidealist   (I think I need a new avatar :/ )For what it's...  
Herschelkrustofsky   I have the impression that there has been a slight...  
sbrown   As Ive said twice recently CU doesnt depend only o...  
Kelly Martin   As Ive said twice recently CU doesnt depend only o...  
Cock-up-over-conspiracy   Given that 'prevention is better than a cure...  
written by he who wrote it   As Ive said twice recently CU doesnt depend only ...  
Grep   I remember that case. Gerard went after them beca...  
No one of consequence   So let's attack it from the other end. There...  
Herschelkrustofsky   Checkuser catches sockpuppet users who are lazy, ...  
No one of consequence   [quote name='No one of consequence' post='185921'...  
A Horse With No Name   Checkuser catches sockpuppet users who are lazy, ...  
No one of consequence   Checkuser catches sockpuppet users who are lazy,...  
Nerd   [quote name='A Horse With No Name' post='185924' ...  
No one of consequence   Hmmmm. There are so many categories. You have ...  
Herschelkrustofsky   Wikipedia doesn't care about quality, only po...  
Krimpet   It would have probably have made more sense for Wi...  
Kelly Martin   It would have probably have made more sense for Wi...  
Krimpet   The reason it doesn't is because people who d...  
No one of consequence   It would have probably have made more sense for W...  
Cock-up-over-conspiracy   I always edited with an IP address. My ISP gave ou...  
Herschelkrustofsky   What would be fair and right of Checkusers is to ...  
No one of consequence   What would be fair and right of Checkusers is to...  
emesee   let's let the record reflect that _I_ was once...  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)