The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

> Help

This forum is for discussing specific Wikipedia editors, editing patterns, and general efforts by those editors to influence or direct content in ways that might not be in keeping with Wikipedia policy. Please source your claims and provide links where appropriate. For a glossary of terms frequently used when discussing Wikipedia and related projects, please refer to Wikipedia:Glossary.

12 Pages V « < 10 11 12  
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Who is Essjay?, Probably he's Ryan Jordan
Nya
post Tue 25th September 2007, 2:38am
Post #221

Group: Contributors
Member No.: 1,320

QUOTE(Piperdown @ Mon 24th September 2007, 9:49pm) *

It's been 6 months, right? Any bets on who Mr Jordan is now in the wikimasquerade?

I've been wondering that on and off since he "retired", since I find it hard to believe that a 15+ hours a day editor could have quit just like that. I suppose he always could have shifted over to Wikiquote or something, but I always had the impression that Wikipedia was his first love. At the very least, I doubt he took the HighInBC/H/1==2 route. If he's back, he started from the ground up.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jonny Cache
post Tue 25th September 2007, 2:48am
Post #222

τα δε μοι παθήματα μαθήματα γέγονε

Member No.: 398

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

QUOTE(Nya @ Mon 24th September 2007, 10:38pm) *

It's been 6 months, right? Any bets on who Mr Jordan is now in the wikimasquerade?

I've been wondering that on and off since he "retired", since I find it hard to believe that a 15+ hours a day editor could have quit just like that. I suppose he always could have shifted over to Wikiquote or something, but I always had the impression that Wikipedia was his first love. At the very least, I doubt he took the HighInBC/H/1==2 route. If he's back, he started from the ground up.

What a rube!

I think it's far more likely that he maintained a veritable host of wikipupae already warming up in the incubator.

Jonny cool.gif
+Quote Post
Joseph100
post Tue 25th September 2007, 5:58am
Post #223

Senior Member like Viridae

Group: On Vacation
Member No.: 871

QUOTE(Jonny Cache @ Mon 24th September 2007, 8:48pm) *

QUOTE(Nya @ Mon 24th September 2007, 10:38pm) *

What a rube!

I think it's far more likely that he maintained a veritable host of wikipupae already warming up in the incubator.

Jonny cool.gif

Tis you, who is in league with with thou evil SOX. Thou art stand accused of the villainous high crime of "SOCKISM" by thee congregation of the Holy Jimbo Wales. Complaint hath been made unto thee by ole consecrated admin arthou a SOILED SOX.

Upon notice, ye ole admin, with wisdom on loan from the LORD JIM him self, shall consider evidence, which Thine may not see, as such holy words of lord Jim and his priests only can viewed by only the
consecrated. You are guilty as a SOX

As the priests light the match and thow said match on the well oiledfaggots and repent so the flames of banning thou not sent ye to hell but to the bosom of the Holy Wales.
+Quote Post
Somey
post Tue 25th September 2007, 6:35am
Post #224

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 275

Hey, using the "Darko" skin, available only to members, the white-colored text used for the word "faggots" literally looks like it's leaping out of the sea of red text on the dark steel-blue background, creating a cool 3-D effect!

Yet another reason to register an account, eh?
+Quote Post
everyking
post Tue 25th September 2007, 7:02am
Post #225

Postmaster

Group: Regulars
Member No.: 81

QUOTE(Nya @ Tue 25th September 2007, 3:38am) *

Essjay was really all about power. He didn't work on content, except a little during his early phase, when he was shoving his weight around with his made-up credentials and his copy of "Catholicism for Dummies". He spent his WP time on admin stuff. As a newbie, with no adminship, with none of his fraudulently acquired respect, how attractive would WP be, especially after the beating he took from everyone? He couldn't have taken the HighInBC or Gallimh route; someone would have noticed, even if there was somebody crazy enough to enable that in the first place. I used to think he'd start over, but now I tend to doubt it.
+Quote Post
Nya
post Thu 27th September 2007, 2:05am
Post #226

Member No.: 1,320

QUOTE(everyking @ Tue 25th September 2007, 3:02am) *

Essjay was really all about power. He didn't work on content, except a little during his early phase, when he was shoving his weight around with his made-up credentials and his copy of "Catholicism for Dummies". He spent his WP time on admin stuff. As a newbie, with no adminship, with none of his fraudulently acquired respect, how attractive would WP be, especially after the beating he took from everyone? He couldn't have taken the HighInBC or Gallimh route; someone would have noticed, even if there was somebody crazy enough to enable that in the first place. I used to think he'd start over, but now I tend to doubt it.

Very true. It's really not that hard to get an account adminned though - all it takes is a few months of vandal fighting with only occasional content contribution. I would be surprised if Essjay didn't know that.
+Quote Post
BobbyBombastic
post Thu 27th September 2007, 4:44am
Post #227

gabba gabba hey

Member No.: 1,223

If I were Essjay I would be cursing the day I ever heard of wikipedia. Would you come back under a new name if you were him? I know that is not a good way to judge what another person would do in any given situation, but it is interesting to think about. But then again, I don't fully appreciate the wiki-addiction that people describe because I have never experienced it myself. I can only assume that it is like any other addiction though and it would be hard for someone like him to give up on the social networking aspect of it that he seemed to enjoy the most, in my opinion.

Someone creative should do a "Where are they now" thread with some of the more notable Wikipedian departures.
+Quote Post
Nathan
post Thu 27th September 2007, 4:51am
Post #228

Retired

Group: Inactive
Member No.: 17

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

I remember being afflicted with that exact addiction, once upon a time.

These days, I have better things to do, like beat the hell out of WordPress.
+Quote Post
BobbyBombastic
post Thu 27th September 2007, 4:58am
Post #229

gabba gabba hey

Member No.: 1,223

QUOTE(Nathan @ Thu 27th September 2007, 12:51am) *

I remember being afflicted with that exact addiction, once upon a time.

These days, I have better things to do, like beat the hell out of WordPress.

That's much healthier, I think! But in all seriousness (like a lot of people I guess) I've had my share of addictions, most of which I have kicked without much thought, except cigarette smoking. Still working on that one. I'd actually like to read more about the wiki addiction that people describe. Why they are/were addicted, how they became addicted, etc. That would be interesting to me.
+Quote Post
Nathan
post Thu 27th September 2007, 5:08am
Post #230

Retired

Member No.: 17

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

I used to smoke also, many moons ago. It was something I used to do when I was either bored or stressed out. Apart from that, my brain was unable to form the addiction (lucky me) so I ended up quitting "cold turkey".

Getting back on topic...

I don't think Essjay would be lurking anywhere on Wikipedia. If you've noticed, he had a very specific style of editing.
+Quote Post
blissyu2
post Thu 27th September 2007, 12:31pm
Post #231

the wookie

Group: On Vacation
Member No.: 5

WP user page - talk
check - contribs

By the way, when this post was first made, it said "Who is Essjay?" subtitle "Probably he's Ryan Jordan". The subtitle has recently been changed to "Easy: He's Ryan Jordan", which I think changes the whole context of this investigation. Given that it took a year to prove, I think that suggesting that it was "Easy" is somewhat misleading. Can it go back to what it originally said?
+Quote Post
guy
post Thu 27th September 2007, 3:57pm
Post #232

Postmaster General

Member No.: 23

QUOTE(blissyu2 @ Thu 27th September 2007, 1:31pm) *

Given that it took a year to prove, I think that suggesting that it was "Easy" is somewhat misleading. Can it go back to what it originally said?

I'll change it, but now it's an easy question to answer and it might be misleading to sugges tthat it isn't.
+Quote Post

12 Pages V « < 10 11 12
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th 1 18, 3:54am