FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2933 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
FORUM WARNING [2] Division by zero (Line: 2943 of /srcsgcaop/boardclass.php)
OMG Durova has lost her mind!!!!!!! -

The Wikipedia Review: A forum for discussion and criticism of Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Op-Ed Pages

Welcome, Guest! ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OMG Durova has lost her mind!!!!!!!, She plays Zoo World on Facebook ALL DAY AND ALL NIGHT!!!
Obesity

I taste as good as skinny feels.

Group: Regulars
Member No.: 6,909

I confess I have no idea if Durova still participates in WP, Commons and other Wikimedia projects. I don't really hang around those places anymore.

But I am on Facebook a lot, where Durova is one of my finest friends.

She is playing that pointless Zoo World game MORNING, NOON and NIGHT and assailing her friends with arcane and meaningless status updates.

Today almost every one of my friend updates was from Durova, and EVERY ONE of Durova's updates was about ZOO WORLD:

Lise just trained her Bald Eagle to do the "Play dead" trick!
Now she can attract even more visitors to her zoo!

Lise is racing a Gyrfalcon and needs your help!
Lise needs your help to win! Everyone shares speed prizes and gains mastery. Only 20 more miles to go!

Lise has speed stones to share!
Lise's bald eagle, Samantha, just beat Cassia in a race and collected a new speed stone. Some things are best when shared with friends.

LOL, "speed stones". sound liek crystal meth. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Lise is away and their new baby American Alligator needs food. Oh my!
Lise's American Alligator was born just 9 hours ago. She is cold, lonely, and will get sick soon without any food. Baby wants to grow up big and strong some day and just needs a little help getting started.

Lise has a baby Gorilla separated from its mother. Oh My!
Lise just received a Mom and Baby Gorilla from the Wildlife Care Network.

Lise is away and their new baby Great-Horned Owl needs food. Oh my!
Lise's Great-Horned Owl was born just 25 hours ago. She is cold, lonely, and will get sick soon without any food. Baby wants to grow up big and strong some day and just needs a little help getting started.

Hm. Well it's kind of loading but buggy. [Here Durova comments about how her Zoo World game is not loading properly]

Zoo World irony: my Facebook portrait was taken at the San Diego Wild Animal Park. [Durova makes a half-hearted attempt to correlate her Zoo World madness with external reality]

These were all from the past 24 hours.

DUROVA'S GONE ZOO WORLD CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wut does this have to do with a deep critique of the Web 2.0?

ummmm, well maybe some1 could say something abt how playing zoo world may be pointless, but at least it doesnt harm anyone liek Wikipeeeeeeedia.

ok thx.

This post has been edited by Obesity:
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

Group: Contributors
From: My name it means nothing. My age it means less. The country I come from is called the Mid-West.
Member No.: 981

No way this goes into the Annex.
+Quote Post
Obesity

you mean, like: No way, buster. This is going straight to the Annex.

or do you mean:

No way is THIS thread going to the annex. It's too damned AWESOME for that cesspool.
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

From: My name it means nothing. My age it means less. The country I come from is called the Mid-West.

QUOTE(Obesity @ Thu 1st April 2010, 8:27pm) *

you mean, like: No way, buster. This is going straight to the Annex.

or do you mean:

No way is THIS thread going to the annex. It's too damned AWESOME for that cesspool.

The second one. Sorry for the ambiguity.
+Quote Post
Ottava

Ãœber Pokemon

This is why I try not to accept Wikipedian's friend invites. Chances are, I end up blocking their feed.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

Known alias of J. Random Troll

QUOTE(Obesity @ Thu 1st April 2010, 7:23pm) *

ummmm, well maybe some1 could say something abt how playing zoo world may be pointless, but at least it doesnt harm anyone liek Wikipeeeeeeedia.

ok thx.

Ummm. This is a bio-clock syndrome in women of a certain age, ya know. Known treatments are to adopt a pair of small dogs and half a dozen cats. Or two children from Haiti.

The electronic version appears unholy and unwholesome, but it might be better than nothing. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ermm.gif)
+Quote Post
Ottava

Ãœber Pokemon

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Fri 2nd April 2010, 2:48am) *

Or two children from Haiti.

According to the news, the in thing now is to just steal the kids and not worry about all of that messy adoption crap.
+Quote Post
BelovedFox

QUOTE(Ottava @ Fri 2nd April 2010, 2:38am) *

This is why I try not to accept Wikipedian's friend invites. Chances are, I end up blocking their feed.

I've still got Sceptre's friend request mouldering in my notifications bar. I'm surprised he managed to pick the correct person (there's a hell of a lot of people with my name on there.) Other than that, I'm wiki-free.
+Quote Post
Wiki Witch of the West

From: Honey catches more flies than vinegar, but I still don't want to see your fly.
Member No.: 14,351

Blah. The only thing lamer than playing Zoo World is starting a thread just to talk about somebody playing Zoo World. Four million people play Zoo World.

Start a website called Zoo World Review and wallow in your lameness.
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

QUOTE(Wiki Witch of the West @ Thu 1st April 2010, 9:33pm) *

Blah. The only thing lamer than playing Zoo World is starting a thread just to talk about somebody playing Zoo World. Four million people play Zoo World.

Got bored with content creation?
+Quote Post
Wiki Witch of the West

From: Honey catches more flies than vinegar, but I still don't want to see your fly.

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Fri 2nd April 2010, 3:38am) *

QUOTE(Wiki Witch of the West @ Thu 1st April 2010, 9:33pm) *

Got bored with content creation?

Two DYKs this week. They're on my page (Wikipedia talk, not Facebook).

Somey, did this website suddenly turn into Facebook Review?
+Quote Post
NuclearWarfare

QUOTE(Wiki Witch of the West @ Fri 2nd April 2010, 3:33am) *

I thought it was Farmville that was all the rage? Or was that 6 months ago?

They are all hidden from my news feed anyway (as they should be for everyone), so I can never keep track.
+Quote Post
dtobias

Obsessive trolling idiot [per JzG]

Member No.: 962

Fortunately you can block particular applications, and I've blocked most of the silly games that would otherwise flood my update page.
+Quote Post
Wiki Witch of the West

QUOTE(dtobias @ Fri 2nd April 2010, 4:12am) *

Fortunately you can block particular applications, and I've blocked most of the silly games that would otherwise flood my update page.

*snaps fingers* and there I was about to join Farmville and Mafia Wars just to check in on this thread and watch Obesity's head explode.

Seriously, this stuff takes so little time or mental energy. Keep a window open. Click a few buttons to keep the game alive. Approve a canned message.

Now I'm saving a humpback whale. Let's see what sort of sophomoric pun that generates. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
Zoloft

May we all find solace in our dreams.

Member No.: 16,621

QUOTE(Wiki Witch of the West @ Fri 2nd April 2010, 4:16am) *

QUOTE(dtobias @ Fri 2nd April 2010, 4:12am) *

*snaps fingers* and there I was about to join Farmville and Mafia Wars just to check in on this thread and watch Obesity's head explode.

Seriously, this stuff takes so little time or mental energy. Keep a window open. Click a few buttons to keep the game alive. Approve a canned message.

Now I'm saving a humpback whale. Let's see what sort of sophomoric pun that generates. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/wink.gif)

"Lise just trained her Bald Eagle to do the "Play dead" trick! Now she can attract even more visitors to her zoo!"
Honest to God, I believe the people who write these notifications are not even pretending to hide the double-entendres any more.
+Quote Post
Cla68

Postmaster

I haven't started a Facebook or MySpace account in spite of the almost daily email invites I receive to do so. Looks like I'm really missing out.
+Quote Post
EricBarbour

blah

QUOTE(Wiki Witch of the West @ Fri 2nd April 2010, 3:33am) *

We'd rather wallow in your lameness, hon.

Yours is far more intense than any of ours.

+Quote Post
Wiki Witch of the West

Gee, if I knew it'd cause this much stir over here I wouldn't have stopped playing Facebook games for a year.

For what it's worth, here's an idea to kick around. Know how a portion of Facebook friends aren't real friends? Suppose you ran two facebook accounts and farmed the non-friend friends over to the second account. Then enjoyed all the really spammy features of Facebook on the jerk account.

Join a cause, invite all your friends? Suuuure.

This post has been edited by Wiki Witch of the West:
+Quote Post
The Joy

I am a millipede! I am amazing!

Group: Members
Member No.: 982

+Quote Post
the fieryangel

the Internet Review Corporation is watching you...

Member No.: 577

QUOTE(The Joy @ Fri 2nd April 2010, 6:19am) *

You know, you can turn those notifications off so you don't have to look at them. That's what I do.

What's the big deal here?
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

Member No.: 3,670

There are dozens of similar games on Facebook. They all use the same underlying game engine, but differ in the costumery, settings, and story in which the game items are acquired. Yesterday, on April Fool Day, the Mafia Wars "Chop Shop" (where you rebuild stolen cars from parts) was replaced by a lavender Fairy Castle where you nurture young unicorns. It was a one-for-one substitution of the names of the items and the associated artwork, but the underlying game calculus remained exactly the same.

The main advantage of Facebook's MMPORGs over WP is that the games on Facebook are not subject to rampant corruption. The players cannot hijack the dynamics of the underlying game engine to gain an outrageous advantage over rival players.
+Quote Post
Kwork

Group: Special Contributors

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Fri 2nd April 2010, 2:48am) *

QUOTE(Obesity @ Thu 1st April 2010, 7:23pm) *

ok thx.

Ummm. This is a bio-clock syndrome in women of a certain age, ya know. Known treatments are to adopt a pair of small dogs and half a dozen cats. Or two children from Haiti.

The electronic version appears unholy and unwholesome, but it might be better than nothing. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ermm.gif)

It is easy to argue that Wikipedia itself is actually just an online game, with the theme of "write an encyclopedia" set up in a way so that the "editors" can fight out their personal issues with various allies and opponents. I think Catherineyronwode (T-C-L-K-R-D) sums that view of WP rather well on her user page.

If that is correct, there is not surprising that WP users also play other online games.
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

QUOTE(Kwork @ Fri 2nd April 2010, 7:58am) *
It is easy to argue that Wikipedia itself is actually just an online game, with the theme of "write an encyclopedia" set up in a way so that the "editors" can fight out their personal issues with various allies and opponents. I think Catherineyronwode sums that view of WP rather well on her user page.

The main difference between WP and other online MMPORGs is that on WP you can develop your skills at corrupting the integrity of the game.
+Quote Post
Kwork

QUOTE(Moulton @ Fri 2nd April 2010, 12:05pm) *

It is easy to argue that Wikipedia itself is actually just an online game, with the theme of "write an encyclopedia" set up in a way so that the "editors" can fight out their personal issues with various allies and opponents. I think Catherineyronwode sums that view of WP rather well on her user page.

The main difference between WP and other online MMPORGs is that on WP you can develop your skills at corrupting the integrity of the game.

Have any studies published that discuss that aspect of Wikipedia?
+Quote Post
Moulton

Anthropologist from Mars

QUOTE(Kwork @ Fri 2nd April 2010, 8:17am) *
QUOTE(Moulton @ Fri 2nd April 2010, 12:05pm) *
Have any studies published that discuss that aspect of Wikipedia?

Yes, including both journalistic accounts and academic studies (including some graduate level theses which appear in peer-reviewed journals).
+Quote Post
Sarcasticidealist

Head exploded.

Member No.: 4,536

The only Facebook game I play is "Convince my Facebook friends of how clever I am", which I pretty much play morning, noon, and night too. I suspect that a lot of people have blocked that game from their feeds, too.
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

QUOTE(Wiki Witch of the West @ Thu 1st April 2010, 9:16pm) *

I want you to teach your pussy not to barf hairballs on the carpet.
Then, not to drool when you pet it. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/mellow.gif)
+Quote Post
Kwork

QUOTE(Sarcasticidealist @ Fri 2nd April 2010, 3:32pm) *

The only Facebook game I play is "Convince my Facebook friends of how clever I am", which I pretty much play morning, noon, and night too. I suspect that a lot of people have blocked that game from their feeds, too.

If you are incapable of saying something intelligent, there is no need to prove it. (Arbcom members, particularly, seem to feel a need to demonstrate that, for Wikipedia, it is good enough to be a halfwit.)

This post has been edited by Kwork:
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

I use Facebook as an adjunct to the language learning communities I participate in. The language sites are used to identify people with complimentary language interest (ie I want to learn Spanish and speak English, they want to learn English and speak Spanish). We help each other with prepared exercises and more importantly exchange emails, chats or Skype calls. Facebook serves a useful place to share cultural, political or social interests (mostly pop culture) that then provides the basis for substantial conversations. The "gifting" of token representing food items from respective cultures is common, so I have had virtual goat.

The demographic and characteristics of people who participate in these language communities is very different. Age range not much different, but non-geek, good gender balance, education level good but probably less than WP. More diversity of race and social class. Little or no drama. They present some of the same concerns as WP in terms of child protection. Sometimes a young girl (well maybe a girl) will show up wanting to "meet" men in the biblical and commercial sense. Anonymity is sometimes used, sometimes not. There is a cadre of employee staff to address abuse problems and concerns. The biggest difference seems to be almost everyone is there to learn, not just demonstrate their "knowledge."

I'm impressed with the array of social media (PHP driven tutorials, discussion boards, chat, Skype, Facebook etc) employed to carry out a teaching/learning task. I also like that it is decentralized in that a variety of sites are employed by the same people working together. IMHO it presently represents the best hope for successful online learning communities.
+Quote Post
Somey

Can't actually moderate (or even post)

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 275

Oh my! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/ohmy.gif)

One thing that concerns me about Facebook, in fact probably the only thing, is that since they opened up their authentication API they're fast becoming the authentication method of choice all over the web - and not just for blog/news comments and forums, but collaborative sites too. In effect, this means that website operators are passing off whatever responsibility or duty-of-care they might otherwise have to prevent impersonation, multiple-account abuse, etc., onto Facebook - which we already know to be a massive fail strategy, even if they do a better-than-average job of it. (The point here being that "average" is pretty bad, so "better than average" ain't saying much.)

So the question for me is, at what point is Wikipedia going to start directly incorporating Facebook APIs into its own system? There's already a fairly well-tested Facebook Connect extension... If Facebook really started taking online identity abuse seriously, I'd probably say this would be a good thing. In fact, even the way it is now, it would probably be better than what Wikipedia does, which is basically the equivalent of turning angry teenagers into self-appointed internet detectives, just to pick off the low-hanging fruit, sock-puppetwise.

Anyhoo, this is all off-topic - this thread is about how the difficult, complex job of professional zoo management can be trivialized into an online social-networking game that takes about 5 minutes a day to "win." In general some of these Facebook games look pretty ridiculous, but I suppose there's relatively little harm in them other than "lost productivity" (which I've always thought was overrated to begin with).
+Quote Post
Milton Roe

QUOTE(Somey @ Fri 2nd April 2010, 9:59am) *

In general some of these Facebook games look pretty ridiculous, but I suppose there's relatively little harm in them other than "lost productivity" (which I've always thought was overrated to begin with).

Yes. Apparently, it takes Lise little mental energy and time to teach her electronic bald eagle to play dead. We have her word for it.

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/mellow.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/mellow.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/mellow.gif)

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/unsure.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/wacko.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/biggrin.gif)
(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif)

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/smile.gif) Ah, god. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/happy.gif)

Actually, it is indeed slightly less lame to discuss this as a cultural phenomenon, than to actually get into the pit and do it. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/yecch.gif)
+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Fri 2nd April 2010, 12:40pm) *

Lovely...now Miltie thinks he's Mrs. Slocombe!

Are you free, Mr. Roe?

(IMG:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8a/Mollie_Sugden_as_Mrs_Slocombe.jpg)

I'm free! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
dtobias

Obsessive trolling idiot [per JzG]

Member No.: 962

QUOTE(GlassBeadGame @ Fri 2nd April 2010, 12:57pm) *

We help each other with prepared exorcises

Do you have an exorcist for that?

+Quote Post
RDH(Ghost In The Machine)

And the admins broke Piggy's glasses...

Member No.: 15,578

QUOTE(Milton Roe @ Fri 2nd April 2010, 4:40pm) *

QUOTE(Wiki Witch of the West @ Thu 1st April 2010, 9:16pm) *

Then, not to drool when you pet it. (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/mellow.gif)

Better yet-just shave your pussy...sure it'll look funny, but no hairballs.
(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/idea.gif)

QUOTE(Moulton @ Fri 2nd April 2010, 10:06am) *

There are dozens of similar games on Facebook. They all use the same underlying game engine, but differ in the costumery, settings, and story in which the game items are acquired. Yesterday, on April Fool Day, the Mafia Wars "Chop Shop" (where you rebuild stolen cars from parts) was replaced by a lavender Fairy Castle where you nurture young unicorns. It was a one-for-one substitution of the names of the items and the associated artwork, but the underlying game calculus remained exactly the same.

Coming soon to a generic, flash game engine near you:
Super Restroom Attendant Hero!

At last! You have gained a brush!

Finally! You have earned a plunger!

(IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/bored.gif)
+Quote Post
Obesity

There have been several important Zoo World developments of which I'd like everyone to be aware:

1) Durova has now reached LEVEL 22 on Zoo World!!!!!!! (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/applause.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/applause.gif) (IMG:smilys0b23ax56/default/applause.gif) [we need a smiley with a noisemaker and a party hat, please]

2) Durova has now begun naming inhabitants of her cybermenagerie after prominent Wikipedia Review members.

Here is a catalog of her latest activities:

Lise found a beached Humpback Whale. Oh no!
Lise found a beached Humpback Whale struggling to get back in the water. If Lise gets 10 helping hands in 7 days then everyone who helps gets a Humpback Whale.

Lise found a Blue Jay with a broken wing. Oh No!
Lise found a Blue Jay that fell out of his nest and broke his wing!. He is hurt and needs someone to take care of him so he can fly again!

A rescued Hedgehog escaped from Lise's zoo. Oh No!
A rescued Hedgehog escaped while being transported to Lise's zoo! The frisky little Hedgehog!She is frightened and needs someone to find her!

Lise just traded 15 Complete Baskets for a Rainbow Butterfly and is offering a reward!
Lise is happy to have a Rainbow Butterfly and is sharing a Complete Basket of Eggs with friends!

Lise has speed stones to share!
Lise's swift, Eric + Obesity, just beat Cristi in a race and collected a new speed stone. Some things are best when shared with friends. [There are like twenty different posts about Durova's swift, named "Eric + Obesity," besting various other animals in imaginary "races". I have omitted these updates, because they are virtually identical. Apparently, E+O is the fastest animal in all of Zoo World.]

Lise is away and their new baby American Alligator needs food. Oh my!
Lise's American Alligator was born just 9 hours ago. She is cold, lonely, and will get sick soon without any food. Baby wants to grow up big and strong some day and just needs a little help getting started.

Lise wants to share an Easter Egg!
Lise's Easter Bunny Boat is filling up with fast with gifts and they want to celebrate with a special gift egg for friends!

A rescued Ocelot escaped from Lise's zoo. Oh No!
A rescued Ocelot escaped while being transported to Lise's zoo! The frisky little Ocelot!She is frightened and needs someone to find he

Lise needs more helping hands!
Lise found a beached Humpback Whale struggling to get back in the water. If Lise gets 5 more helping hands in 7 days then everyone who helps gets a Humpback Whale.

Lise just trained her Swift to do the "Stand on one foot" trick!
Now she can attract even more visitors to her zoo! [Should legitimate zoos really be training animals to do "tricks"?.... I mean, isn't that more of circus/Sea World type of thing? The more highly regarded zoos at least make shallow attempts to make the animals appear as they do in their natural habitat. I'm not sure I agree with Durova's approach here.]

Lise has a mystery gift to share with friends!
Lise found a mystery gift box during a treasure hunt! There could be a valuable rare item in this gift box!

+Quote Post
A Horse With No Name

I have as much free time as a Wikipedia admin!

QUOTE(Obesity @ Tue 6th April 2010, 8:34am) *

There have been several important Zoo World developments of which I'd like everyone to be aware:

The animals are cute, but listen to the soundtrack -- great rendition of a silly song.

+Quote Post
Kelly Martin

Bring back the guttersnipes!

Member No.: 6,696

Please don't encourage the troll.
+Quote Post
Obesity

QUOTE(Kelly Martin @ Tue 6th April 2010, 9:39am) *

Please don't encourage the troll.

wut troll r u referring to?
+Quote Post
TungstenCarbide

Allegedly shot down by stray Ukrainian missile

QUOTE(Obesity @ Fri 2nd April 2010, 2:23am) *
She is playing that pointless Zoo World game MORNING, NOON and NIGHT.

this thread is just plain mean and should be moved to the tarpit.
+Quote Post
GlassBeadGame

Dharma Bum

Duova exports WP/WR dispute onto Facebook by naming here critters after WRers? Couldn't see that coming. When she gonna teach one of her eagles to ride a Harley?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

-   Lo-Fi Version Time is now:

FORUM WARNING [2] Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/wikipede/public_html/int042kj398.php:242) (Line: 0 of Unknown)